Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Kudosx posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how much do the Maine Beer Co beers run? I've heard several people call them expensive, so I was just wondering.

I think it came to $7.48 after tax, not a great value but a solid beer.

Edit: Top page content, I'm drinking Dieu du Ciel's barleywine, Solstice d'hivre or something like that and it's pretty mediocre. The aroma is more enticing than the rest of the beer, the body is a bit thin and the flavor is lacking, bordering on boring with a Robotussin lingering finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Corla Plankun posted:

I live in NY state, and my downstairs neighbor works for a badass local brewery. I am going back to Austin, TX for the holidays and I would like to bring him back a 12-pack (or so) of excellent beers that can't be bought up here. What would guys recommend?

I'm probably going to come back with a case of shiner because I love and miss it, but I didn't really get "into" beer until I moved up here so I don't know that much about Texas craft beers.

I'm pretty sure they don't make 4/6 packs, but the most famous/awesome TX brewery is Jester King. I'd definitely pick him up a few bombers of whatever kind of Jester King beers you can find, they're all pretty awesome from what I hear.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 8, 2012

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Has anyone tried Narwhal from Sierra Nevada? Pretty hoppy for an imperial stout, pretty drat good though.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Has anyone tried Narwhal from Sierra Nevada? Pretty hoppy for an imperial stout, pretty drat good though.

I bought a 4-pack of it a month or so ago (whenever it first hit Milwaukee), and really liked it a lot. Didn't really find it to be hoppy at all though, who knows.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Captain Shortbus posted:

drat it, Tank 7, how can you be so damned good every time? I thought you're the temperamental tank!
Seriously, good loving beer. Every time.

Tank 7 is so loving good. The Saison Brett limited release based off of it is even better.

I think I've mentioned this before, but my local bottle shop has bottles of Orval dating back to early 2010. I grabbed one tonight and drat if the taste of sweaty gym clothes isn't growing on me.

Mahoning posted:

Yeah, I didn't get a lot of hops from Narhwal. It's definitely assertive as hell, and I love every drop of it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mahoning posted:

I ended up buying 4x4 packs in the end with the intention to age 12 bottles and try them periodically...instead I'm down to 6 already.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

I live in NY state, and my downstairs neighbor works for a badass local brewery. I am going back to Austin, TX for the holidays and I would like to bring him back a 12-pack (or so) of excellent beers that can't be bought up here. What would guys recommend?

I'm probably going to come back with a case of shiner because I love and miss it, but I didn't really get "into" beer until I moved up here so I don't know that much about Texas craft beers.

JK is the one with the most BA street cred certainly and you can't go wrong with that, but also look for Austin Beerworks which puts out a lot in cans and is consistently awesome.

In Austin you can also get Independence (Convict Hill is good) and Real Ale (can't think of anything very good they do in bottles).

Adelbert's and South Austin also come out in bombers but they are certainly second tier. Saint Arnold in Houston do very good seasonals these days but their distribution in Austin can be spotty. If you can find Southern Star their stout is the best regular one in TX.

Sadly a lot of the very good TX breweries like 512 and Live Oak and Guadalupe don't distribute outside of bars at all.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 8, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SUPER HASSLER posted:

JK is the one with the most BA street cred certainly and you can't go wrong with that, but also look for Austin Beerworks which puts out a lot in cans and is consistently awesome.

In Austin you can also get Independence (Convict Hill is good) and Real Ale (can't think of anything very good they do in bottles).

Adelbert's and South Austin also come out in bombers but they are certainly second tier. Saint Arnold in Houston do very good seasonals these days but their distribution in Austin can be spotty. If you can find Southern Star their stout is the best regular one in TX.

Sadly a lot of the very good TX breweries like 512 and Live Oak and Guadalupe don't distribute outside of bars at all.

ABW is a good answer for a consistently good craft beer from the Austin area, and I'd focus more on them given that it's only available around there. Real Ale is the overall best Texas brewery IMO, and even though their exceptionally good beer is draft only, you might be able to find some of their brewer's cut series in stores. The Black Quad was pretty good, but they may have moved onto the next installment at this point and it's worth seeking out. You can also count on Southern Star Buried Hatchet to be good as well.

Actually, you may be in luck and can find 512's Whiskey Barrel aged Pecan Porter in bottled form this time of year. My advice would be to make a stop at Whip In or one of the higher end bottle shops and they can really tell you more since that area's beer scene moves rapidly.

BA geeks out over them, but I wouldn't recommend anything from Jester King. I really think they have serious QA issues lately. The quality of the beer (especially the recent releases) has been all over the place.

e: This is specifically in reference to the fact that their Funk Metal has instructions so that the beer's less likely to gush. I've had Boxer's Revenge be undercarbed as well, but not to say it isn't good. Just wanted you to be aware.
http://beerstreetjournal.com/images/Jester-King-Funk-Metal.jpg

air- fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 8, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Holy cow, that is a lot of information on the bottle, are they required to list ingredients in Texas?

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Waiting at Foothill's to pick up my allotment of Olde Rabbit's Foot. A little over 300 folks in here, things are running pretty smoothly.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
For anyone digging on Flanders Reds, if you can find a bottle to trade for, Upland's Gilgamesh is loving stupid good. It's aged in bourbon barrels, and at 10.5% it is dangerously drinkable.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Huge_Midget posted:

For anyone digging on Flanders Reds, if you can find a bottle to trade for, Upland's Gilgamesh is loving stupid good. It's aged in bourbon barrels, and at 10.5% it is dangerously drinkable.

Sitting on a bottle. Waiting for the right time to open it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CancerStick posted:

Not necessarily directed at you, but the group as a whole. What sites/blogs do you guys follow? It seems like I always forget what time of the year it is and when poo poo comes out. It would be nice to be able to throw a good site into my RSS feed that I can read daily and be like, " Oh poo poo, suchandsuch beer is released in a couple weeks. Better add something in my calender."

I follow The Full Pint for national news and Fermentedly Challenged locally for Colorado news. Craftbeer.com and Beerpulse as someone else mentioned are good, too.

There's also the batshit insane Don't Drink Beer if crazy rants float your boat :2bong:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Picked up some of Fremont Brewing Company's 2012 Bourbon Abominable release last night. Had a quick sample at the brewery and was impressed--it's a bit higher alcohol content this year (11%), but still very smooth.

If you're in Seattle, go pick up a few bottles before they sell out!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I would like to report that La Cumbre's Elevated IPA is fantastic and deliciously fresh @1 month from canning date. More importantly, though, is that Olde Hickory's Death by Hops is absolutely great and able to stand up against some of the greats. I will be buying the poo poo out of this when I visit NC from now on.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Midorka posted:

Holy cow, that is a lot of information on the bottle, are they required to list ingredients in Texas?

No, it's mostly Jester King's marketing towards the :smug:-type customer.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hello, I am drinking these.

I think this writers block is my favourite beer. So fruity and fresh.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
So XVI isn't as good as XV. Even though it's 40% stout, this comes off as very heavily influenced by the DDBA maltiness. You can taste the Wookey Jack on the backend. Not bad by any means, but not their best work either.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

ChickenArise posted:

I would like to report that La Cumbre's Elevated IPA is fantastic and deliciously fresh @1 month from canning date. More importantly, though, is that Olde Hickory's Death by Hops is absolutely great and able to stand up against some of the greats. I will be buying the poo poo out of this when I visit NC from now on.

Truth!

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Local place was offering La folie growers for 16.25. I had never had it and man its soo good! I've been loving the Flanders lately.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Nask26 posted:

Local place was offering La folie growers for 16.25. I had never had it and man its soo good! I've been loving the Flanders lately.

32oz or 64? It's a good deal on 32, but that's a screaming deal on a 64.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Nask26 posted:

Jesus, that sounds amazing. I wish my state wasn't so fussy with its growler laws. There was talk about changing the law, but an early draft looked prohibitively expensive; essentially demanding the health codes and standards of a restaurant.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Cointelprofessional posted:

Jesus, that sounds amazing. I wish my state wasn't so fussy with its growler laws. There was talk about changing the law, but an early draft looked prohibitively expensive; essentially demanding the health codes and standards of a restaurant.

What state is that? Florida has some really bizarre growler laws. The first of which is that you can only sell them up to 32 oz. After that, you can do a gallon and above. So no 64 oz. growlers (and no 40's of malt liquor either).

The other part is that places that sell beers are categorized into either breweries, brew pubs, or bars. Breweries can growler their own beer and sell it, but it has to be in a container marked with the brewery name and/or logo. (A few get around this by giving you a sticker to slap onto any growler you bring in, thereby making it "theirs"). Brew pubs are breweries that also serve food. No growlers can be sold. At bars, you can buy growlers of any beer and in any container (provided it meets the size requirements).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

For some reason I'm compelled to ask... what unit does lovely malt liquor come in in Florida, then? Bombers? Tall boys?

In less terrible beer chat, found a bunch of bottles of Brown Shugga at my local store. Still rules, this is one of the greatest holiday seasonals.

Edit: Also, saw this hilarious photo on another forum. Apparently Chicago is quite well stocked on BCBS. Send your ridiculous surplus to Colorado already, dammit :argh:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 9, 2012

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Chiming in on the Weyerbacher labels...

Yeah, the new labels are ... interesting.
I do really, really like the Old Heathen and Quad labels, and I'm excited to see what Heresy looks like.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

Are you local to La Cumbre, or are they finally seeing distribution outside of northern New Mexico?
Curious because I love most of their stuff and would like to see them get some recognition in a wider market.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Docjowles posted:

For some reason I'm compelled to ask... what unit does lovely malt liquor come in in Florida, then? Bombers? Tall boys?

In less terrible beer chat, found a bunch of bottles of Brown Shugga at my local store. Still rules, this is one of the greatest holiday seasonals.

Edit: Also, saw this hilarious photo on another forum. Apparently Chicago is quite well stocked on BCBS. Send your ridiculous surplus to Colorado already, dammit :argh:

32 ounces. You just can't sell beer/malt beverages/not-wine/not-liquor in any container over 32 oz or under 128 oz.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
That's "Vav" from the Binnys next to Goose Island. He was the one who put on the GI drawing on Black Friday where they brought out vintage GI stuff. I know someone here got lucky with that....

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

crazyfish posted:

32oz or 64? It's a good deal on 32, but that's a screaming deal on a 64.

64oz in the 15 or so minutes I was there about 5 other people were getting fills. From what I understand only like 5 kegs made into AZ.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Hauki posted:

Are you local to La Cumbre, or are they finally seeing distribution outside of northern New Mexico?
Curious because I love most of their stuff and would like to see them get some recognition in a wider market.

You can buy it online direct from the brewery, well through a site but it's sent from the brewery. Check ratebeer, they have a buy it now feature under the rate button.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

All hail Lord BCBS. :worship:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Midorka posted:

You can buy it online direct from the brewery, well through a site but it's sent from the brewery. Check ratebeer, they have a buy it now feature under the rate button.
I got it from a site that was having a special to celebrate whichever medal it won recently. It would have gotten here super fresh, but the first shipment was 'destroyed' by ups.

Also to follow up on the Mother Earth Peach beer, it's not really my thing. Kinda syrupy and muddled, and I just don't really care for the chardonnay flavors.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Okay for all of the love Maine Beers Lunch gets I do not like this. My problem with Lunch is that it's overly citrus, at times I feel I'm drinking orange juice. There's a light pine and heavy grapefruit too, but it's just too much citrus. That in combination with the $7-$8 a bottle means I won't be buying this again.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

That's "Vav" from the Binnys next to Goose Island. He was the one who put on the GI drawing on Black Friday where they brought out vintage GI stuff. I know someone here got lucky with that....

He puts on a great event, that's for sure.

I made a New Year's resolution to drink 100/100 of BA's "Beers of Fame" (http://beeradvocate.com/lists/fame) which seems to be the only top 100 list that anyone could ever realistically complete (except for maybe Westy 12, though it's not as hard as it used to be). I think I'm at about 70/100 now. I think there's maybe 10 left that I don't have access to in Chicago, so I think I can pull it off. Today I checked off Weyerbacher Double Simcoe and Bear Republic Racer 5, and both of them really made me wish the respective breweries dated their bottles so I had some kind of reference as to what the beers were supposed to be. When did Weyerbacher switch to the new labels? I made sure to grab a new label four pack at least, though the store had a 750 with the old.

Also had New Glarus Hometown Blonde. I don't drink all that many pilseners, but this is one of the best I've ever had and I'm not surprised it won a gold at GABF.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Finally got to try some Black Note for the first time last night. It's probably the smoothest bourbon-barrel aged beer I think I've had. It was like chocolate velvet. Really fantastic. Unfortunately, now I want more.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Midorka posted:

Okay for all of the love Maine Beers Lunch gets I do not like this. My problem with Lunch is that it's overly citrus, at times I feel I'm drinking orange juice. There's a light pine and heavy grapefruit too, but it's just too much citrus. That in combination with the $7-$8 a bottle means I won't be buying this again.

I started my night with Lunch. Definitely agree about the price; to me it was a pretty standard Citra-hop-tasting IPA.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Midorka posted:

I live like 2 miles from the brewery, I was just curious where he was (getting it) from.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Taking a growler of Brown Shugga to a party, having the party goers spend all their time drinking wine, and therefore finishing 3/4ths of the growler by yourself is not necessarily a good idea.

Be advised.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
RR Sanctification - what's a good amount of time to age a bottle, or is it a 'drink it now' sorta thing? I'm guessing the former but I haven't had it before and am curious how it develops.

In related news, came across a random liquor store in a mediocre part of town that was loving LOADED with stuff that seemed to disappear from every other store sometime mid-2011. Grabbed two bottles of Stone's Belgo Old Guardian 2011 (one of my favorite all-time beers, despite mixed reviews), another 2011 IRS (because why not), Black Butte 24 (for $13.99, was at least $17 everywhere else), Sanctification, two of the Stone 12.12.12 verticals, and also grabbed 08.08.08 and 09.09.09...stopped short of throwing down $20 for the 07.07.07. Was surprised to even see the last three in there. Had at least a dozen of Red Poppy, Framboise de Amorosa, and Angel's Share. Bunch of Pliny too. Really strange to have that large a quantity of bottles that most stores generally don't even have a half dozen of, let alone to have them this long after their release period when most stores have moved their stock. Refrigerated, too.

They also had a Utopias just hanging out on a shelf with a $299 price tag on it, which I assume is inflated but just seeing it there kicking it next to random Belgian and German beers was strange and out of place.

Weird store, clientele was iffy, but I'm SET for the holidays.

Oh, and lastly, TRADE BEER WITH PEOPLE. I'm nursing a BCBS right now; you assholes in their distro zone are lucky to have such easy access to an awesome booze bomb like this. The balance in this thing is impeccable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"
Apparently the Dark Horse 4 Elf party was a complete disaster. All the butthurt douchebags complaining about it on BA does make for entertaining reading, though.