Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
This calls for a goon run newznab indexer, invite only and separate from the forums..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

DanManIt posted:

Is there any real difference between the three sites: dognzb, nzb.su and nzbs.org?

Edit: Also we have an IRC channel ?!?
Main differences are who runs the site and the frontend. NZBs.org is pretty close to Newznab stock, NZB.su is a custom theme, and DOGnzb is a crazy 100% custom ColdFusion thing. The actual indexing bits and core functionality for all three come straight from Newznab with some minor modifications.

IRC is #sabnzbd on SynIRC.

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 9, 2012

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

inpheaux posted:

Main differences are who runs the site and the frontend. NZBs.org is pretty close to Newznab stock, NZB.su is a custom theme, and DOGnzb is a crazy 100% custom ColdFusion thing. The actual indexing bits and core functionality for all three come straight from Newznab with some minor modifications.

IRC is #sabnzbd on SynIRC.

So they should be indexing the same things?

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012
At the moment it seems like everything I try and get has been deleted. oh woe. The very fact that there are pople out there who pay for services like usenet surely means there is a market for doing it right.

I was speaking to some one at a technology and software fare the other week about the future of video and all they would go on about is how good their DRM is. I was quick to retort with but no one cares about DRM they want it to be easy to use and brilliant quality that can rival stuff like we talk about here.

When copyright holders stop arguing and start selling quality products for the right price I will be the first to give them loads of my money.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Begall posted:

Anyone know why I can't get newznab to process releases? I find the binaries ok from the test groups I'm using:

http://pastebin.com/gm6Ttgf9

Then get this when I try to process them:

http://pastebin.com/MHhLVATw

Are you NN+? If your not that's probably your problem. the NN+ regex's are a huge difference.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

DanManIt posted:

So they should be indexing the same things?
Yeah. Unless you write your own regular expressions, all NN+ indexers should have roughly the same content.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I liked NZBMatrix because it was super simple. It was even easier than torrenting - one click send to SABnzbd+ was amazing.

Here's a whole bunch of questions I'd like to drop on you, since there is zero information about this stuff on Google.

Are these other invite-only sites as simple to use? Do they have any requirements to keeping your registration, like how invite-only torrent sites have ratio requirements? Are there any restrictions on their use? How much do they usually cost?

(is there a comparison matrix somewhere? :v:)

Now that NZBMatrix is gone, dunno why you wouldn't go back to torrents anyways. Even if you're worried about security, aren't there VPNs around the same price as Usenet providers?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

abraham linksys posted:

Now that NZBMatrix is gone, dunno why you wouldn't go back to torrents anyways. Even if you're worried about security, aren't there VPNs around the same price as Usenet providers?

Usenet, in my experience, is way faster than torrents even those that have a ton of seeders. Most nzb indexing services are easy to use - but a lot of them are filled with virus nzbs. I'll be back to using binsearch (cautiously) until I either manage to get an invite to something better or some new indexer comes up to replace nzbmatrix.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

abraham linksys posted:

Are these other invite-only sites as simple to use? Yes Do they have any requirements to keeping your registration, like how invite-only torrent sites have ratio requirements? Generally no Are there any restrictions on their use? On some sites, yes Some do How much do they usually cost? Not much

(is there a comparison matrix somewhere? :v:) Not that I've seen

Answers edited in.

Druuge Fuel
Jul 9, 2010

I was an nzbmatrix user too. Oh well, guess I'll roll with nzb.su until it falls. That said, I hadn't logged into .su in forever so it was nice to see the site has a face-lift.

I do have an unrelated question though. I just got the Panasonic ST50 (great TV) and out of curiosity, I want to check out the 3D on it. Is it pretty much a given that all 3D rips are mud? I tried a 17gb Prometheus rip and the crosstalk was ridiculous.

I'm not sure if it's the player I'm using, (tried VLC and SteroScopic Viewer), my TV settings, or if ripping 3D just isn't great yet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fallback

I'll just paste the readme here.

code:
Fallback is many things, but right now it is mainly:  in-development.

Currently, you'll find all the code on the develop branch.

Some ramblings about what it does.

1. fallback monitors configured torrent tracker rss feeds for tv shows and
builds a database out of all the shows it sees and can parse a name out of.
It currently uses the name parsing stuff out of Sickbeard.

2. It also monitors your sabnzbd history for nzbs that failed and had your 
tv category assigned to them.

3. It uses the information gleaned from 1 and 2 to add torrents to your 
configured torrent client.  In other words, when a nzb fails, it looks
in the database it has built from tracker RSS feeds and downloads the same
show in equal (or better if so configured) quality.

4. fallback is under heavy development.  Right now it doesn't do anything
with the show after the torrent client has downloaded it.  I'm working on
passing it off to sickbeard for post-processing and a method for continuing
to seed the show after sickbeard moves/renames it.  You could use it as-is
but it's not a service yet.  You'll have to configure a cron job to run at
something like every 30 minutes or more (so you don't hammer trackers with)
RSS feed requests.  Currently, it only works with the transmission torrent 
client.

5. If you want to hack on this, you should probably contact me and see where
I'm at and what my plans for the code are.
I just want to stress that you're only going to want to use right now if you're technically proficient and willing to fork and submit pull requests or give feedback.

Also, look at the github issues for ideas about where this is going in the future.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

I liked NZBMatrix because it was super simple. It was even easier than torrenting - one click send to SABnzbd+ was amazing.
Pretty much every indexer has had one-click send-to-sabnzbd since I wrote the Newzbin/SABnzbd GreaseMonkey script in like 2007.

The only requirement to keep an account active is to donate or whatever, assuming it's a site that requires that. NZBs.org doesn't (they still refuse any kind of donation), NZB.su/DOGnzb do.

Comparison Matrix

Sav
May 30, 2002
Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!
drat, missed out on all the openings, if anyone has any invites please lemme know, will pay it forward. Thanks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
nzbs.org must be getting slammed as I haven't been able to load it all day.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Sav posted:

drat, missed out on all the openings, if anyone has any invites please PM me, will reward with paypal. Much appreciated.

Goddamn you are stupid.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

routenull0 posted:

or taken offline...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

routenull0 posted:

Huh, well that would explain things.

Hilariously enough, in my first days of Usenetting, I used loving Forte Agent and manually snagged headers, and then went on from there.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

movax posted:

Forte Agent

Been forever since I've heard that....

movax
Aug 30, 2008

routenull0 posted:

Been forever since I've heard that....

I was 12 and just read an article in PC Magazine after checking out the latest Pentium IIIs :negative:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My first provider (ClaraNet) had 3 days of retention. On regular internet, if you didn't catch what you wanted on day 1, you probably wouldn't get it. Insane how things have changed.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Sickbeard index is still working. Just no web interface but I can supplant that with separate means.

Just sucks that I paid for NZBMatrix like 2 months ago. Makes me hesitant to pay for any other VIP access.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What I never understood is who exactly are behind the big providers? (supernews, giganews, etc) It seems to me whoever runs these things would need massive datacenters and pipes and an operation like that doesn't seem like it would stay under the radar very long. Why doesn't the **AA just go after providers? (which I am sure they are working on :( )

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I don't understand, nzbs.org is working fine for me today. Must be something with the DNS.

Polluxx Troy
Mar 12, 2005

...authorities here are on alert...

Nitr0 posted:

or taken offline...

Didn't they move over to the beta site some time ago?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

cr0y posted:

What I never understood is who exactly are behind the big providers? (supernews, giganews, etc) It seems to me whoever runs these things would need massive datacenters and pipes and an operation like that doesn't seem like it would stay under the radar very long. Why doesn't the **AA just go after providers? (which I am sure they are working on :( )
They do have massive data centers, but they don't have to take any responsibility for what gets posted thanks to the DMCA. So long as your Internet service isn't used exclusively for illegal activities, you don't encourage or advertise illegal use, and you comply with DMCA takedowns when they're issued, you're essentially untouchable.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

inpheaux posted:

They do have massive data centers, but they don't have to take any responsibility for what gets posted thanks to the DMCA. So long as your Internet service isn't used exclusively for illegal activities, you don't encourage or advertise illegal use, and you comply with DMCA takedowns when they're issued, you're essentially untouchable.

For all the poo poo it gets, the DMCA is spectacularly better than what could have been.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Billa posted:

I don't understand, nzbs.org is working fine for me today. Must be something with the DNS.

what ip are you getting when you ping nzbs.org

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

what ip are you getting when you ping nzbs.org

It's working fine for me, I get 217.23.4.88.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

clockwork automaton posted:

Most nzb indexing services are easy to use - but a lot of them are filled with virus nzbs. I'll be back to using binsearch (cautiously) until I either manage to get an invite to something better or some new indexer comes up to replace nzbmatrix.
I'm terrible: Do I have to worry about ways of catching a virus other than running executables or clicking through inexplicable UAC prompts when opening video files and the like?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

movax posted:

It's working fine for me, I get 217.23.4.88.

same but it doesnt work. i dunno what the gently caress.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Nitr0 posted:

same but it doesnt work. i dunno what the gently caress.

Yeah I'm getting the same ip.

The Roadwarrior
Aug 23, 2003

I spend too much time thinking about the Montreal Canadiens.
Works for me, hopefully it doesn't vanish when I log out. :ohdear:

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Weird, it works for me in Chrome where I'm logged in, but in Firefox where I've never logged in and have no cookie, it's doesn't work.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Nask26 posted:

Are you NN+? If your not that's probably your problem. the NN+ regex's are a huge difference.

Yes, that was probably it. However, I've now got NN+, put in my ID number into the config and the apparently generic regex I've been left with is:

/^(?P<name>.*)$/i

This matched 3 things out of several thousand I tested :v: Anything I could have missed to get the real ones?

The Vincester
Jul 6, 2004
Uh, guys... http://www.nzbsrus.com is back it seems. Popped up on my RSS and sure enough, it's back, which is good enough for me.

edit: I will note they are saying VIP users only.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

If you're getting an error for nzbs.org, try doing a search and you'll get the login page and it then works, i.e:

http://nzbs.org/search/jgdsgdsgsd

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
I would happily pay nzbsrus for VIP membership if I could work out how to buy the magical Internet fantasy beans they require without opening up my bank account to be buttraped.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
sabnzbd.org is down?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

if it hasn't also been mentioned, newsbin2 is also down permanently.

Edit: nevermind, that was about a week ago and I'm just slow.

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K.O.
Mar 19, 2007
This is sad :(.

At least they did it towards the begging of the slow period of TV when most shows don't have new epps.

I have also been wondering about the whole issue of the payment processors being sued or threatened for doing business with these sites. If the sites comply with the DMCA notices, then they are not doing anything wrong, how can the other companies threaten someone like paypal to not do business with them?