Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

davebo posted:

I've heard that a few times but I honestly don't know if it's hyperbole or not. Are (unused) diapers actually a good thing to rub a car with? If so, is that what you use to... dry it? or wax it?

Cloth diapers, actually. They're soft as hell and usually 100% cotton, which you can't always guarantee with other towels. A lot of this group also loves to rant about how their car has "never seen rain", nevermind that the first two things a Corvette does as it drives off of the assembly line in Bowling Green is bounce off of some speedbumps as hard as possible to seat the suspension, and then get blasted by high pressure water to ensure there's no leaks.

Perfect example of "the Corvette guy" mentality: people who buy those kits where you convert a C5 to vaguely resemble a C1.

My dad has actively bitched about this group of people after he bought his C6, and according to him they're even more insufferable than the equivalent Porsche owners, as he'd experienced when he had his various P-cars. Then the other day I find out he hasn't driven his C6 in a month.

He enjoys the gas mileage and HOV pass on his new Prius too much.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

davebo posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't buy a Ferrari even if I had the money. I don't really like luxuries in cars and I prefer having a Corvette because it's not worth a lot so you don't mind driving it like you hate it. I also got mine back when I was 25 but it didn't take much internet searching to realize I don't need to be going to the local Corvette meets with a bunch of 60 year old dudes.

Don't get me wrong, Corvettes are a FANTASTIC car for the price/performance that you get. Cheaper buy in price, cheaper maintenance, cheaper go fast parts, etc. However if I had the money I'd pick up a 458 or a 430 Scuderia over a Corvette any day of the week. Mostly because I'd have the money to drive that on the weekends and a Corvette throughout the week. When you're talking about a 55-60 year old guy argue over why he bought his base model C6 instead of a F430 based on a price point and performance standard... it's pretty obvious he really can't afford a Ferrari, especially when he was insulting Ferrari owners for being arrogant bastards who all just want to show off their money. It was painfully obvious that he was trying to hide the fact that his life had gone pretty good, but not as good as he'd wanted it to.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Perfect example of "the Corvette guy" mentality: people who buy those kits where you convert a C5 to vaguely resemble a C1.

Some may be wondering what this is, and since this is the terrible car stuff thread, I feel obligated to oblige.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't understand this at all. If anything a Corvette should be the ultimate self-depreciating car guy car? It goes fast and handles well for not a lot of money and is just middle American values on wheels.

They start at like what $45k? That's BMW-3-series-with-leather money, what is there to be an insufferable prick *about*? Are these people just sill thinking in 1983 dollars?

I really want a Viper one day, and there are enough Viper owners in my town to actually have a club where they go on cruises and poo poo. I wonder what their meets are like? Presumably the people who are bad drivers/insufferable are all killed in no-ABS-no-ETC crashes/set on fire by the exhaust early in their ownership.

Not a freaking clue. Even my fairlane was something over $60000 when it was new. I suspect that was in 1996 dollars too. I bet that owner had shocking buyers remorse.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

einTier posted:

Some may be wondering what this is, and since this is the terrible car stuff thread, I feel obligated to oblige.

That's one of the most universally hated cars on the C1/C2 board at corvetteforum, fwiw.

And yeah, cloth diapers were the microfiber towels before microfiber towels were.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

My dad has actively bitched about this group of people after he bought his C6, and according to him they're even more insufferable than the equivalent Porsche owners, as he'd experienced when he had his various P-cars. Then the other day I find out he hasn't driven his C6 in a month.

So you're looking at homes, then?

"Sorry dad, I have a professional image to maintain."

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If I had Lamborgini/F-Car money I'd stuff a race exhaust on it, lower it a bit, and put some nice wheels on it... then drive like an rear end in a top hat. You piss all the purists off and people who can't afford it hate you too.

On the very rare occasion I get to take the EVT700 997.1 out... well, the looks you get are hilarious.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 10, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

If I had Lamborgini/F-Car money I'd stuff a race exhaust on it, lower it a bit, and put some nice wheels on it... then drive like an rear end in a top hat. You piss all the purists off and people who can't afford it hate you too.

On the very rare occasion I get to take the EVT700 997.1 out... well, the looks you get are hilarious.

There's a dude that rolls around Metro-Detroit that owns all sorts of supercars and is probably 25 at most (I think he did some sort of investing thing and made bank). He does all his own work and it's so funny when he posts pictures of a Lambo up on jacks being worked on in the middle of a parking garage or in his parent's suburban home.

He's currently dropping an LS1 into his 911 :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahaha, that's loving awesome.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Godholio posted:

A lot of them are dumb enough to think their C5/C6 is going to be as collectable as a C1/C2. So they have some kind of a smug fygm mentality...then there's the crowd that thinks these cars need a ton of chrome trim and gaudy loving wheels, but they're smug about whatever shitheap car they've done the same mods to since high school.

gently caress those guys. I didn't buy a paperweight, I drive the hell out of my C2.

When I was in Minnesota there was a guy who literally auto-xed the wheel off his 64 convertible.
He seemed pretty cool about it and the next event he had a 71 coupe.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Viggen posted:

We're all proud to bean, dude.. Like Some Texas Redneck.

:psyduck::hf::iiam:

Man... I don't know what the gently caress you just said, but you're special man, you reached out, and you touch a brother's heart.

If you recognize that quote, then TCC is leaking again

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't understand this at all. If anything a Corvette should be the ultimate self-depreciating car guy car? It goes fast and handles well for not a lot of money and is just middle American values on wheels.

They start at like what $45k? That's BMW-3-series-with-leather money, what is there to be an insufferable prick *about*? Are these people just sill thinking in 1983 dollars?

'Vettes have steadily creeped up in price. Currently, they start at around $50k MSRP, but to get one with reasonable options, you are looking at mid or upper $50s. (Granted you can often get large discounts on them.) I don't know about you, but to most people that's still a lot of money for a car. It's not HUGE money, but my house is worth less than three times that amount.

"Not a lot of money" in my book is under $35k, and even Mustang GTs and Camaro SS's start around that level. Most Corvette owners "move up" from those types of cars, so from there is a substantial increase in cost and "prestige".

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Isn't this kind of plate number not allowed being as it's purposefully confusing to law enforcement?

If so, awesome that he got away with it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

General_Failure posted:

Not a freaking clue. Even my fairlane was something over $60000 when it was new. I suspect that was in 1996 dollars too. I bet that owner had shocking buyers remorse.

Go check out what a new Corvette (or even something like a Camaro or Mustang) will cost you in Australia though.

Makes those ridiculous upper tier HSVs almost look like value for money

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

FIRST TIME posted:

Isn't this kind of plate number not allowed being as it's purposefully confusing to law enforcement?

"poo poo, I can't remember if it was 'E33E3EE' or 'E33E33E'. Looks like we're never going to catch that dude driving the Lamborghini."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tusen Takk posted:

is probably 25 at most
It's a battle-scarred 25.

I drove to a bar following a company softball game, and a coworker who liked my C6 snapped a pic of it and posted it to his FB. One of his friends commented "Quick, to the midlife crisis mobile!" I'm 28 :(

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Wouldn't they just say "Echo Thirty Three Echo Three Echo Echo" or have I been watching too much TV?

Of course they could just wait for it to burst into flames and then catch up with him.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

MiniFoo posted:

"poo poo, I can't remember if it was 'E33E3EE' or 'E33E33E'. Looks like we're never going to catch that dude driving the Lamborghini."

Good point.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Wouldn't they just say "Echo Thirty Three Echo Three Echo Echo" or have I been watching too much TV?

Of course they could just wait for it to burst into flames and then catch up with him.

The point is that it would be hard to read if you have similar looking characters randomly placed together. Like IlIIlIl.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 10, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

nm posted:

When I was in Minnesota there was a guy who literally auto-xed the wheel off his 64 convertible.

Losing a wheel is exactly the reason I got the fake knock-offs on my 66. The external hardware is exactly the same, but the spinner doesn't actually hold the wheel on, there are normal lugnuts underneath. Yeah I'd probably be fine, but I've seen more than enough pictures of what happens when one decides to escape (they tend to take large sections of fender with them).

Aside from that, how did it do? I've had a morbid curiosity about auto-xing a car with no power steering or brakes.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I have a friend with a C5. He does things like this with it:

(Those are handmade studded tires and yes that's a frozen lake.)

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Polk county FL, doesn't surprise me. I know you can find MUCH more out there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Number_6 posted:

Vettes have steadily creeped up in price. Currently, they start at around $50k MSRP, but to get one with reasonable options, you are looking at mid or upper $50s.

The talk of Vette prices being comparatively "cheap" mostly comes from the fact that it is competitive (other than the Grand Prix/Cavalier inspired parts bin interior) with much more expensive cars.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FIRST TIME posted:

Nope, we have pretty lax automobile laws and regulations.

Another popular one is B8B88BB or some combination thereof

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

The talk of Vette prices being comparatively "cheap" mostly comes from the fact that it is competitive (other than the Grand Prix/Cavalier inspired parts bin interior) with much more expensive cars.

Also there's so many of them they depreciate nicely over time, so you can get a nice early C6 for like $25k.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

G-Mach posted:

I like your friend.

I also like this guy since he apparently drives the car everywhere when he's not racing it.

(my own hosting)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This belongs in the other thread. :drat:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Can someone please explain to me why so many stupid cars have these grenade stickers on them in the last few years? It's not the SA grenade or anything, its just a stupid loving grenade, usually made out of a skeleton hand or something similar.

Also, have you priced a restored 356 lately?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Can someone please explain to me why so many stupid cars have these grenade stickers on them in the last few years? It's not the SA grenade or anything, its just a stupid loving grenade, usually made out of a skeleton hand or something similar.

Also, have you priced a restored 356 lately?

It's a snowboarding/skateboarding company's logo. Or it's a Green Day grenade. Probably the skateboarding company though since Green Day aren't exactly popular anymore.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Octopus Magic posted:

I dunno, I've always considered the dudes who go around to parking lots with their hood up and a folding chair to be the most boring, insufferable guys, be they import tooners, corvette owners, or british car owners.
I don't think British car guys should be lumped in with the others. Spend enough time in a parking lot with your bonnet up, and you're going to learn to keep a folding chair with you for next time.

some texas redneck posted:

If you recognize that quote, then TCC is leaking again

CD, surely?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
My anecdotal evidence with cheap British sports cars is that they are dead stupid easy to work on and keep running.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

InitialDave posted:

I don't think British car guys should be lumped in with the others. Spend enough time in a parking lot with your bonnet up, and you're going to learn to keep a folding chair with you for next time.

That's why I kept a folding chair and a book in my Jeep.

PreacherNutshot
Dec 8, 2005
I love children, but I can't eat a whole one.

G-Mach posted:

I had an '04 C5 that I used as my daily driver in Missouri for 7 years. I ran Goodyear M&S tires in the winter. The car was amazingly capable. The only real limiter was the 4" of ground clearance. <G>

PreacherNutshot
Dec 8, 2005
I love children, but I can't eat a whole one.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Cloth diapers, actually. They're soft as hell and usually 100% cotton, which you can't always guarantee with other towels. A lot of this group also loves to rant about how their car has "never seen rain", nevermind that the first two things a Corvette does as it drives off of the assembly line in Bowling Green is bounce off of some speedbumps as hard as possible to seat the suspension, and then get blasted by high pressure water to ensure there's no leaks.

:negative:

Your Dad's right, Corvette people are bizarre, elitist folks. The even hate each other. Every time a new generation of Vette comes out, the previous gen owners are labeled as a "bunch of wanna-bes". I had a C5, so I was hated by the C6 guys, and of course was contractually obligated to bag on the C4 guys (even though I was secretly envious of the cool way their entire front clip opened up for engine access).

I traded the Vette in on a Benz, so now I have to hate BMWs. :sigh:

It's a viscous car world. :D

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PreacherNutshot posted:

It's a viscous car world. :D

The oil world is even worse.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Godholio posted:

The oil world is even worse.

They always think they're so above the water guys.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

PreacherNutshot posted:

Your Dad's right, Corvette people are bizarre, elitist folks. The even hate each other. Every time a new generation of Vette comes out, the previous gen owners are labeled as a "bunch of wanna-bes". I had a C5, so I was hated by the C6 guys, and of course was contractually obligated to bag on the C4 guys (even though I was secretly envious of the cool way their entire front clip opened up for engine access).

Seriously? Holy hell that's rear end-backwards.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Moxie Omen posted:

No kidding man. Us C5 guys get to rag on any recent C6 owners for buying cars that are just gonna depreciate a ton once the C7 comes out.  :cool:

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Moxie Omen posted:

Yes it is. I actually like Corvettes so I always toss the 'Vette-wave' to any one that I see, but I never get a wave back from the newer Vettes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dizman posted:

I like your friend.

I also like this guy since he apparently drives the car everywhere when he's not racing it.

That doesn't seem like a wise idea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

Or an ACVW. Although AAA was always my savior. Pay the extra for the 100 mile tow package vs the 4mile package :)