Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Slash_Prower posted:

I like how they took one of the most attractive male characters of the last game and made him incredibly fat for the sequel.

R.I.P. Togami's old design.

It will be missed.

Try not to image leech next time.

I'm wondering if the bandaged girl is going to be the crazy one. She's just seemed off from the few interactions we've had with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

whitehelm posted:

Huh? They're clearly Japanese in the video, with the English names edited in.

They're also still written phonetically. So the anagram would probably be fairly straightforward to find for most people fluent in Japanese.

Re-watching the video I notice one of the characters apparently has the surname Owari, which can mean "The End". Fascinating, though it's still probably a bit too early to say where they're going with that. Still, the Asahina derivations notwithstanding there's a clear you-know-who vibe I'm getting from her -- for one thing the one line major we've heard from her so far, "Why is that chihuahua talking" is almost so clueless as to be suspicious in itself, though it probably IS still too early to call.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

MUTEkI posted:

Re-watching the video I notice one of the characters apparently has the surname Owari, which can mean "The End".

Super High-School Level Sniper?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Slash_Prower posted:

I like how they took one of the most attractive male characters of the last game and made him incredibly fat for the sequel.

R.I.P. Togami's old design.

It will be missed.

Try hosting pics on imgur.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

MUTEkI posted:

Re-watching the video I notice one of the characters apparently has the surname Owari, which can mean "The End". Fascinating, though it's still probably a bit too early to say where they're going with that. Still, the Asahina derivations notwithstanding there's a clear you-know-who vibe I'm getting from her -- for one thing the one line major we've heard from her so far, "Why is that chihuahua talking" is almost so clueless as to be suspicious in itself, though it probably IS still too early to call.

Hajime is Japanese for "The Beginning" and Owari is Japanese for "The End." I'm curious where they're going with this one.

Zhauth
Sep 4, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

So if there's DR1 Togami and Naegi (based on the aforementioned word trickery), where are Kirigiri, Asahina, Hagakure, and Fukawa? :psyduck:

SCOOBY GANG ASSEMBLE!

This episode:
Heart-Thumping Field Trip BIG PANIC!
Guest Starring:
Francis York Morgan
and
Gordon Ramsay with Dwarfism!

Please forgive my Super Elementary School Level art.

Slash_Prower
Sep 1, 2012
Oh geez, my bad. Wasn't thinking.

I also wasn't thinking about the OP. It's been a miserable day. I'm sorry.

Slash_Prower fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 13, 2012

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ok, I laughed way too hard at that. Fantastic.

windylion
Oct 9, 2012
That was a fantastic comic.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Zhauth posted:

I see nothing to forgive. Especially those last two panels.

Going back to that Dangan Ronpa Akihabara specialty store for a bit, I wonder if some of the goods would constitute spoilers? I'm thinking back to the presence of Queen Junko and Syo phone charms in that set oren bought last thread.

Kimitsu fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 13, 2012

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Slash_Prower posted:

Oh geez, my bad. Wasn't thinking.

Here's the Super High-School Level Non-Leeched Picture.

orenronen posted:

If you want to repost found artwork (including video) from other places on the web, please send me a private note first for approval. I am reachable by PM on somethingawful, or at hopespeakacademy@gmail.com. If you're going by email, though, the reply may be late since I do not check that account every single day.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Saeku posted:

Hajime is Japanese for "The Beginning" and Owari is Japanese for "The End." I'm curious where they're going with this one.

Yamada didn't die, he just split into two lesser beings.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zhauth posted:

SCOOBY GANG ASSEMBLE!

This episode:
Guest Starring:
Francis York Morgan
and

This post alone should make the thread gold.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I see the original fanart parade is off to one hell of a start.

Proceed.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

Zhauth posted:

I dunno, that's certainly some Super High School Level Humor right there. Good show. :golfclap:

As for Usami actually being the anti-Monobear, it's too early to call anything on that. For all we know, this whole "Hope Game" could be a ruse to simply build up the kids' trust until suddenly Monobear 2.0 swoops in to gently caress everyone's poo poo up. You know, since the ultimate despair can only be brought about by crushing the greatest hope and all that jazz. To the person who mentioned day/night cycles a page back, maybe the eventual gimmick is that you're only going to encounter one of them at a time?

Also:

Gotta love how one of the first things to stand out in this supposedly deserted island is the (apparently solar-powered?) surveillance equipment. :haw:

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Zhauth posted:

SCOOBY GANG ASSEMBLE!

Well played. Very good one.

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010

Alien Arcana posted:

Nevermind, huh? Since we've already seen the "deceptive last name" in Celes-chan, I suspect that we'll be getting something different this time. Either Nevermind really is her last name (and the others won't ever believe her) or she made a mistake on the application forms and tried to correct it.

Haha, that would be really adorable if she made a mistake on the application.

Just based off what I'm seeing, I think Sonia is a foreigner. It's a mix of her blonde hair, her name, and her speech patterns. She's very flowery/formal when talking, possibly because she's not familiar with colloquialisms and informal grammar or she doesn't want to accidentally offend anyone. It's hard to say though, she's only had a few lines and I don't know her exact Japanese speech patterns.

Also, that comic is fantastic.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Zhauth posted:

SCOOBY GANG ASSEMBLE!

This episode:
Guest Starring:
Francis York Morgan
and

I don't think communing with the Old Ones is a very productive method of -fighting- despair, Hagakure.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

purple_sammich posted:

Just based off what I'm seeing, I think Sonia is a foreigner. It's a mix of her blonde hair, her name, and her speech patterns. She's very flowery/formal when talking, possibly because she's not familiar with colloquialisms and informal grammar or she doesn't want to accidentally offend anyone. It's hard to say though, she's only had a few lines and I don't know her exact Japanese speech patterns.

I actually read Sonia as another lolita-style character. Her outfit seems to be pretty classic lolita (yet another similarity with Celes, although she was of the gothic variation). As for her manner of speech, it would go along with the style of prim, proper princess that lolita fashion is often associated with.

How well this reflects or subverts her character, I'm looking forward to seeing.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Zhauth posted:

SCOOBY GANG ASSEMBLE!

Pfff this will never happen, will all know that Alter-Ego is actually Nidai, the eletricity in his eyes and the fact that Chihiro wanted to be more manly prove it. :colbert:

But yeah this is pretty damm amazing, good job!
Just to think that the first piece of user fanart is this, is making me looking forward even more to what this thread will come up with.

Edit: And oh about Sonia I bet her talent will be something like SHSL Princess, just because of the way she talks and her appearence.

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 13, 2012

Slash_Prower
Sep 1, 2012

Am I the only one who sees the similarities? They have different eye colors and hairstyles, but the resemblance is close enough that they're probably related, at least.

Besides, Owari's clothes sort of remind me of Sakura Oogami, who Aoi has plenty of reason to emulate. There has to be some sort of connection. Unfortunately, Owari Akane is not even close to an anagram of Aoi Asahina.

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010

melodicwaffle posted:

I actually read Sonia as another lolita-style character. Her outfit seems to be pretty classic lolita (yet another similarity with Celes, although she was of the gothic variation). As for her manner of speech, it would go along with the style of prim, proper princess that lolita fashion is often associated with.

How well this reflects or subverts her character, I'm looking forward to seeing.

Yes, that is a possibility. But I'm not getting a lolita vibe from her clothing, to me it seems more like a foreign boarding school uniform. Like a place in Switzerland a rich, British aristocrat would send their kid. Of course, I know jack about fancy Swiss boarding schools so I'm probably completely wrong. But who knows at this point! I mean, it might turn out that she was a course-mouthed yankee who bleached her hair and wore long skirts but eventually she wanted out of the yankee life and changed her name and clothing and speech patterns and fled to Hope's Peak.

I'm so excited to see where this all goes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think the most interesting part of the comparisons between characters is how much the art has changed between DR and DR2. DR2 looks a lot more normal anime, with more defined outlines and less shading. When I actually saw the characters in DR2 for the first time something struck me as pretty odd, but I eventually realized that the characters were just being drawn differently.

BTA
Sep 30, 2012

Zhauth posted:

SCOOBY GANG ASSEMBLE!

This episode:
Guest Starring:
Francis York Morgan
and

I lost it at Asahina. Excellent work.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hahahaha it actually is Togami. Or at least, same name as Togami.

He reminds me of an anime version of Cartman.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Zhauth posted:

SCOOBY GANG ASSEMBLE!

Is that Kirigiri in the trash can?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's Makoto Naegi!'s hair is wonderful and I love it.

On a fanart note, a lurker friend of mine urged me to post this thing he made.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Hahahaha it actually is Togami. Or at least, same name as Togami.

He reminds me of an anime version of Cartman.

If it is indeed that Togami, well, it'll just be more of a shame that "Respect Mah Authoritah" won't really have a place in the LP dialogue anywhere.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

alcharagia posted:

It's Makoto Naegi!'s hair is wonderful and I love it.

On a fanart note, a lurker friend of mine urged me to post this thing he made.

Tell him to register an account so we can laugh at him directly instead of by proxy.

Ledundead
Oct 10, 2012
Heyo, first post on SA, figured I'd make sure it was worth it. So here's some fanart!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jesus christ.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I was really not expecting that to be Togami himself.

I wonder if this means the survivors from the previous game are reenacting the Headmaster's plan - trying to counteract SHSL Despair's cataclysmic effects on the world. That might explain why Togami's here - he's doing the opposite of Mukuro's role, keeping an eye on everyone from within the group.

I love how the very first thing this game does is try to throw off as many people who played the prequel as possible. It's done a hell of a job.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ledundead posted:

Heyo, first post on SA, figured I'd make sure it was worth it. So here's some fanart!

Now draw Usami as FK.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Zhauth posted:

SCOOBY GANG ASSEMBLE!

This episode:
Guest Starring:
Francis York Morgan
and

Now I'm hoping for more fanart like these describing the 'real' events of DR2.

edit: sort of like Slowbeef's Alternative updates for DR1.

Ledundead
Oct 10, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Now draw Usami as FK.
Ask and ye shall recieve.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I think this thread is already a 5. Don't you agree, Zach ?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

You glorious bastards.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Not sure if I'm going to jump on the "computer simulation" theory just yet, although that opening certainly puts it to mind. This whole setup is pretty much the polar opposite of the games Junko put on, with emphasis on "hope" right off the bat, and with a cast that looks like someone just hit "random" on the character select screen.

Not that I don't love them all already, but it's sort of a weird amalgam of odd, bizarre traits and familiar touches and designs, that kind of reminds me of sort of a preset options selection.

Whether it's a genuine attempt to study these students interactions under different circumstances, programming meant to counteract the Despair show that was going on, or the exact same Despair programming hid under layers of reverse psychology, I have no clue. (but I'll certainly be happy to hop on the crazy train to find out.)

Also, Chef is already the best character. :colbert:

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
I still can't pick favorites when we know nothing about them. Most dialogue has just been varying forms of surprise, there still is a lot more personality we've yet to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adyen
Dec 26, 2007
You know, if you watched the first minute or two of that intro, all the girls gets a few extra seconds of the introduction while males only get a second or so (or 2 seconds if they appear together). But then they sort-of break that near the middle of the intro... or did they?

Man, is Dangan Ronpa ever going to stop messing with its players' minds?

• Locked thread