Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge

SedanChair posted:

This picture of a North Bend, WA couple taking the oath is making the rounds:

:3:

The reception :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

If I ever in my life look half that cool, I'll die happy. Wow.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wow, I want to see how many looks those guys have. Do they coordinate every day, or just when getting married?

:3::3::3:

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

SedanChair posted:

Wow, I want to see how many looks those guys have. Do they coordinate every day, or just when getting married?

:3::3::3:

I work in North Bend so there's a non-zero chance I might see them someday and find out.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I've been trying to convince my mom that gay people are cool, yo, and she was totally blown away by these guys. Thanks, thread. :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly can't imagine the universe in which you see that picture (or any of these pictures) http://merylschenker.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Gay-marriage-licenses/G0000UgY8lHd476I/I0000Kj7XOS38M.Y and don't instantly reconsider your views on being anti gay-marriage.

Look at that first picture on that page I mean seriously. loving seriously.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's easy when you've been indoctrinated to only see them as hedonistic monsters, and everyone you know in your family, community and congregation reinforces those notions so you never have to actually meet a gay person in any setting that isn't heckling them.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

This is specifically legality of first cousin marriage. States in light blue and light red are the ones that will have exceptions for making sure one of the people is infertile, dark blue is any first cousin s can marry without restriction, provided it would otherwise be legal for them to marry.

In North Carolina, the law says that regular old cousin marriage is fine, no infertility requirements or anything, but it specifically bans DOUBLE cousin marriage. So if Jane and Joe get married, and then Jane's brother marries Joe's sister, then their children aren't allowed to get married. Because they're not just cousins, they're double cousins. But if Jane's brother married anybody else in the world it's all good. I really really want to know if this situation ever actually cropped up.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's easy when you've been indoctrinated to only see them as hedonistic monsters, and everyone you know in your family, community and congregation reinforces those notions so you never have to actually meet a gay person in any setting that isn't heckling them.
I dunno. I think the pictures most anti-gay folks are familiar with are from gay pride rallies and the like. I mean shucks, I'm totally LGBT-friendly and even I'm not in love with all the craziness from pride parades. (I don't want to see people of any sexual orientation wearing leather chaps and waving around fake dongs, thanks. But I applaud all the nice boring union folks and church groups and people with families marching in the parade.)

The more pictures we have of regular middle-class, middle-aged gay and lesbian people getting married, the more it'll break down people's misconceptions until people realize that the guys in leather chaps don't define all gay folks any more than strippers and johns define straight folks.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

The Macaroni posted:

I dunno. I think the pictures most anti-gay folks are familiar with are from gay pride rallies and the like. I mean shucks, I'm totally LGBT-friendly and even I'm not in love with all the craziness from pride parades. (I don't want to see people of any sexual orientation wearing leather chaps and waving around fake dongs, thanks. But I applaud all the nice boring union folks and church groups and people with families marching in the parade.)

Sadly for some gays, especially in the south, pride is one of the few events they can go to where there isn't a significant chance of being openly ridiculed or even assaulted for publicly expressing their sexuality in ways that straight people do all the time without thinking. I live in one of the most liberal, tolerant cities in the US and I still have gay friends who have been ridiculed or beaten in public simply for being obviously gay looking. Do you really think that the magnitude of your discomfort at having to see a pride parade in any way compares to what the event means for these people? If you don't like it just don't go, I bet I would be uncomfortable attending a tea party rally but luckily enough like pride parades you usually don't end up at one by accident.

Gay people changing their behavior at pride to appease some prudish straight people not only never will happen but it's completely unneeded and probably wouldn't accomplish anything. People are already rapidly becoming more accepting of gay rights despite the fact that every year there are more pride parades.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 12, 2012

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Oh, I'm not saying anybody needs to change anything, and I recognize the role that pride parades play. Just saying that if the only pictures some people see of gay folks are of the racier parts of pride parades, they're going to cling harder to their misconceptions. Same's pretty true of a lot of ethnic festivals as well: it's a lot safer to sell the image of middle-class people in boring clothes, but fearmongering relies on pictures of Those Scary Brown People cavorting with sweat, beer, and limited clothing.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

The Macaroni posted:

I mean shucks, I'm totally LGBT-friendly and even I'm not in love with all the craziness from pride parades. (I don't want to see people of any sexual orientation wearing leather chaps and waving around fake dongs, thanks. But I applaud all the nice boring union folks and church groups and people with families marching in the parade.)

That would make sense if the straight equivalent to this sort of titillation wasn't in the media 24/7, I guess.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
It gets old with straight people, too. Not saying that's any better.

OK, derail over! Back to marriage chat. I hadn't realized that Maryland wasn't going to treat married gay folks as married for tax purposes. Baltimore Sun says:

quote:

In the meantime, though, Maryland lawmakers' work with respect to marriage equality is not quite done. Although same-sex couples can be wed here starting Jan. 1, they will still be considered as single for state income tax purposes. Maryland is what is known as a "conforming state," which means that absent a specific tax law change, it treats people the same way the IRS does. Comptroller Peter Franchot is examining whether that could be fixed through regulatory changes, but when the General Assembly returns to Annapolis, it should take up legislation to ensure that same-sex couples are treated equally in the eyes of the taxman as well as the law.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

The Macaroni posted:

OK, derail over! Back to marriage chat. I hadn't realized that Maryland wasn't going to treat married gay folks as married for tax purposes. Baltimore Sun says:

If you don't see something wrong with equating literal constant exposure of heterosexual titillation every time you turn on your tv or step outside your house to maybe 10 minutes of gay titillation once a year if you're in the designated gay-titillation-zone, then I don't even loving know, man.

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 12, 2012

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Macaroni posted:

This could also be fixed by the Supreme Court when they rule on DOMA.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rypakal posted:

Yes, how else do you expect them to get a majority decision without a fifth vote?

This is a weird question, so I assume I'm just reading it wrong? A 4-4 vote just shunts the problem, which they could have also done by not taking the case on.

There was some talk of 6-3 splits if Roberts tries to be on the right side of history. Kagan wouldn't be necessary if he was a lock.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

JawnV6 posted:

There was some talk of 6-3 splits if Roberts tries to be on the right side of history. Kagan wouldn't be necessary if he was a lock.
Even in that case there'd be a difference for him between being the deciding vote that breaks a 4-4 deadlock and joining an existing majority he can't prevent.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Even the liberal New Republic!

quote:

Gay Americans are in sight of winning marriage not merely as a gift of five referees but in public competition against the all the arguments and money our opponents can throw at us. A Supreme Court intervention now would deprive us of that victory. Our right to marry would never enjoy the deep legitimacy that only a popular mandate can bring.

I tell my gay friends: imagine if the Supreme Court had ordered gay marriage this past June, at the end of its 2011-2012 term. November’s game-changing electoral victories would never have happened. Gay marriage advocates would be forever stereotyped as political losers who won by running to mommy. Our opponents would mock and denigrate our marriages as court-created, legalistic fictions. The country would never have shown how much it has changed.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I'm sure people were just as mad after Lawrence that they robbed of the chance to let people vote on whether their sexual relations were legally acceptable or not.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

Roberts is unlikely to vote in favor of gay rights if there's not already a majority that's willing to go down that road. He wants to be on the right side of history, but he also wants to manage partisan opinion of the court and might be squeamish about pissing conservatives off too much by being the deciding vote on gay rights so shortly after he was the deciding vote on PPACA.

Similarly, Roberts joining the majority means that he, as Chief Justice, gets to make the writing assignment, so he can try to control who writes (including assigning the opinion writing to himself) in order to have the narrowest possible decision written.

Of all the 5-4 against, 5-4 for, 6-3 for scenarios, the one that seems least likely is 5-4 for with Roberts being the deciding vote.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Interracial marriages didn't have majority support until the 90s. Were black people political losers who ran to mommy, then?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

thefncrow posted:

Similarly, Roberts joining the majority means that he, as Chief Justice, gets to make the writing assignment, so he can try to control who writes (including assigning the opinion writing to himself) in order to have the narrowest possible decision written.

I suspect if Roberts tried to play assignment games to that level here he'd lose the opinion to Kennedy or Ginsburg anyways and basically turn into Warren Burger.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 13, 2012

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

you know what, screw that. Should gay marriage come from the legislature? Ideally yes. But when the legislature refuses to stand up and it continues to allow a group to be unnecessarily (and unconstitutionally) discriminated against then it is the Judiciary's job to step in and say "actually these people deserve equal treatment under the law as well"

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I wonder who among the likely pro-equality votes would write the best opinion?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

TinTower posted:

Interracial marriages didn't have majority support until the 90s. Were black people political losers who ran to mommy, then?

This isn't really true. By the time the Court deciding Loving, only 16 states made interracial marriage illegal. So they were following the majority of the states. They passed up some cases in the 50's right after Brown because there hadn't yet been this movement in the states. That said, I would be perfectly content with a full victory decisions from the SC. I don't expect it, but I won't complain.

People saying it would be like Roe v Wade is just ludicrous. Experience shows that public opinion on gay marriage changes pretty rapidly once it's legal and the state doesn't catch on fire. Abortion is an issue with two equally passionate sides and where you can change opinions either way. Marriage equality is a one-way issue that can only get more support as time goes on. Nobody wakes up one day and decides they're now against it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

thefncrow posted:

Anyone can write a concurrence and if the other 5 want to sign onto the broad "concurring" opinion and not the majority opinion, they can. Then suddenly the concurring opinion is the majority and Roberts is merely concurring.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

rypakal posted:

This isn't really true. By the time the Court deciding Loving, only 16 states made interracial marriage illegal. So they were following the majority of the states. They passed up some cases in the 50's right after Brown because there hadn't yet been this movement in the states. That said, I would be perfectly content with a full victory decisions from the SC. I don't expect it, but I won't complain.

I'm going by popular view, not state-by-state. Gallup didn't see majority support until about 1994.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TinTower posted:

I'm going by popular view, not state-by-state. Gallup didn't see majority support until about 1994.

Majority support as in approving of it or majority support as in not approving of it being illegal?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Majority support as in approving of it or majority support as in not approving of it being illegal?

The question is, I believe, "do you approve or disapprove of marriages between whites and coloured people?" Still in the high-forties in 1992, IIRC.

dorquemada
Dec 22, 2001

Goddamn Textual Tyrannosaurus

TinTower posted:

The question is, I believe, "do you approve or disapprove of marriages between whites and coloured people?" Still in the high-forties in 1992, IIRC.
Approval among whites didn't cross the 50% mark until 1994-1997.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/11836/acceptance-interracial-marriage-record-high.aspx

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

That's just precious how the author thinks that popular mandate will stop homophobes/conservatives/bigots from inventing reasons legal gay marriage isn't legitimate.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Illinois legislature will probably vote on a marriage bill in January.

I guess the Democrats outside of Chicago could revolt but majorities of 40-19 and 71-47 are pretty good and the Governor is on board.

I don't know if there is a law or general policy for delaying laws, but the 2011 civil union law was signed January 12th and went into effect on June 1st.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Illinois legislature will probably vote on a marriage bill in January.

I guess the Democrats outside of Chicago could revolt but majorities of 40-19 and 71-47 are pretty good and the Governor is on board.

I don't know if there is a law or general policy for delaying laws, but the 2011 civil union law was signed January 12th and went into effect on June 1st.

Hell yes! Maybe then Wisconsin will feel pressure too due to it's southern neighbor--

Right, Republican government. :suicide:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lightning Knight posted:

Hell yes! Maybe then Wisconsin will feel pressure too due to it's southern neighbor--

Right, Republican government. :suicide:

Wisconsin banned marriage equality through a constitutional amendment, too.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Timby posted:

loving Hell, Wisconsin. Why do you suck so much now? :negative:

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Timby posted:

So did Missouri. Then again, I didn't expect much out of this state.

It's like most people here saw John Ashcroft losing the senate seat to a dead man back in 2000 and decided "You know what? We're tired of occasionally doing good things." And then voted for McCain and Romney, and sent people like loving Billy Long to congress.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lightning Knight posted:

loving Hell, Wisconsin. Why do you suck so much now? :negative:

Now? Wisconsin did that like 6 years ago.

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011

RaspberryCommie posted:

So did Missouri. Then again, I didn't expect much out of this state.

It's like most people here saw John Ashcroft losing the senate seat to a dead man back in 2000 and decided "You know what? We're tired of occasionally doing good things." And then voted for McCain and Romney, and sent people like loving Billy Long to congress.
At least you guys rejected Akin, so that's something. Not that McCaskill is anything great of course.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

I suspect if Roberts tried to play assignment games to that level here he'd lose the opinion to Kennedy or Ginsburg anyways and basically turn into Warren Burger.

Can you explain what you mean here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

njbeachbum posted:

Can you explain what you mean here?

The senior justice in the majority assigns the preliminary opinion of the Court at conference. The chief justice has seniority over the Court even when he is not senior on the timeline, and thus assigns all opinions in which he is in the majority for. However, any five justices can break away and form a majority at any time before the opinion is released. This is what happened in the recent health care cases; Chief Justice Roberts switched sides late in the game and was able to get five votes for a new majority opinion, which turned the old majority opinion into a dissenting opinion.

Chief Justice Warren Burger was notorious for joining majorities he didn't believe in to assign majority opinions in such a way that it would greatly limit the opinion. He lost some of them, it caused great acrimony amongst his colleagues, and massively reduced his effectiveness as chief justice. The Brethren by Bob Woodward goes into this in great detail.

The suggestion here was that Chief Justice Roberts was capable of joining a 6-3 majority specifically to write a limited majority opinion in the consolidated DOMA/Prop 8 cases. The problem is that if the other five justices want to go further, Roberts can't stop them from all joining something written as a concurring opinion, which would make said concurring opinion controlling.

• Locked thread