Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bpower
Feb 19, 2011
via ballon-juice

I donno, burn the whole mother fucker down I guess?

btw, that onion article was the first report to actually bring it home. Until I read it the event was awful of course, but it was just one more horrible thing that happened somewhere far away. While reading it I realised how Id feel if it happened in my small country and it broke my heart. gently caress this indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

Accretionist posted:

Scientific optimism feels like a blast from the past at this point:

The idea of jewelry being somehow necessary (esp. to the point where we must wrangle space rocks) is so absurd and out of touch with reality that it hurts

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Mr. Self Destruct posted:

The idea of jewelry being somehow necessary (esp. to the point where we must wrangle space rocks) is so absurd and out of touch with reality that it hurts

Yeah, that's retarded. And by the way: Pt is also very important as a catalysator for chemical reactions.

Have a Dees:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah, that's retarded. And by the way: Pt is also very important as a catalysator for chemical reactions.

Have a Dees:

Dees is the ultimate stopped clock :allears:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

They aren't really just jewellery. Everything from playstation 3s, to smart phones and PCs to military hardware to fuel cells etc use them.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

It isn't about jewelry. It is about modern electronics, medical devices, chemistry, and materials science.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 15, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
fixing a double post

Ulysses S. Grant, Pictured as General of the Armies with a 4-Star Shoulder Board around 1867~, colorized.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 15, 2012

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Did anybody mention that platinum is not just used for jewelry yet?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think I've ever seen a better example of not seeing the forest for the trees.

Or should I say not seeing the belt for the asteroids?

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
I think they were commenting only on the the example about jewelry.

my guns... my guns... my guns... my guns... my guns... my guns... my guns... my guns... my guns...

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE2Vdcv9Q_o

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Surely it'd never be viable to make profit from this? Don't space launches go into the billions of dollars and that's just to get out there, trying to find and land on a speck in space is going to ramp the cost up the backside? Even if we had almost none/no REEs left, I can't see how there'd be any profit to be gained.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
The astronomical cost is getting the whole thing going. Once everything is in place, the effort and cost would be trivial compared to the wealth of resources it brings.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

TinTower posted:

Meanwhile, in the UK, Ed Miliband is practicing his Roman salute after claiming he's not racist for wanting to force people to speak English:

Hahaha, Attlee and Miliband's father must be spinning in their graves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqfz4-sMgak

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

From the bottomless depths of Facebook:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

From the bottomless depths of Facebook:

Relative FB'd this earlier today.

Along with this gem:

"The Further away from God We Go As A Nation,
The Closer Evil Will Come To Us..."

If only Jesus had had a gun.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Also kills children if you don't let Him in their school.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The Facebook has been pretty stupid today:

Well, this one isn't as bad.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

The Facebook has been pretty stupid today:

If only they had some idea how many elementary school-age Palestinian children Israel has killed lately.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Christoph posted:

If only they had some idea how many elementary school-age Palestinian children Israel has killed lately.

They know and their opinion ranges from "I don't give a gently caress" to "Good."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That's pretty much the reality in my country.
From Project WIld X, a project started by Anti Racist Center to teach minorities about Norwegian hunting traditions:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 15, 2012

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Isaac Hayes is America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhe58xORWG0

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

From a front yard in Ann Arbor, MI

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I don't know much about newspapers, but I think whoever books the ad space for the Rock Hill Herald in SC may be out of a job soon:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lamuella posted:

I don't know much about newspapers, but I think whoever books the ad space for the Rock Hill Herald in SC may be out of a job soon:

If the newspaper is good then editorial and advertising departments won't know which ads are running. Which is why this kind of stuff happens all the time online.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Or they're a genius. What better impetus for morons to buy guns than a tragedy involving them?

Love me some lovely meme/lovely opinions crossover. Nothing says "take me seriously" like plunking some words into a image macro generator!

As a bonus, this is the top comment for the picture:

quote:

robob86 11 points : 4 hours ago reply
+1 for also being a responsible gun owner and also as the guy that sits next to you for 12hrs a day, every day.
Why is there a man with a gun sitting next to me every day for 12 hours? :stonk: Am I being held hostage?!

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

I know this isn't quite political but it's my favorite thing when this happens.

Here's some political stuff:

edit: I FORGOT THE BEST ONE

The little car drove across the screen to the Ford ad on the right.

Mahuum Aqoha fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 15, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Highspeeddub posted:

From a front yard in Ann Arbor, MI

Maybe their point would get across better if those rats weren't adorable. :3:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

@Pres_Bartlet is one of the more famous fictional-person-profiles on Twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqVWqTFU5Nk

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I know this isn't quite political but it's my favorite thing when this happens.

I used to collect these until one of these "45 funny cats" type sites stole my collection, managed to make it go viral and literally based their whole existence/business model on it.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
Junot Diaz, Pulitzer Prize winner, MacArther Fellow, and creative writing professor at MIT:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Youtube reacts to the 2012 election.
So much anguish. :allears:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

YOUR POISONOUS GUN CULTURE IS MAKING HEAVEN TOO CROWDED

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
This is supposedly a thing:

maybe :nws:supposed thing:nws:

twoday fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 16, 2012

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

twoday posted:

That does seem like a pretty big deal. I have never seen that photo before...is the photo he posted of the Columbine killers?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

twoday posted:

That kind of thing seems to show up after every mass shooting. It's usually either A. Photoshop, or B. the fact that forums don't necessarily show the same time that the poster is posting in, or, of course, C. coincidence (although that seems less likely here). Photoshop is probably the most common.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 16, 2012

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

twoday posted:

I just now checked the 4chan front page of /b and the timestamps include the second, in addition to the hour and minute. Not real. In very poor taste, too, probably by some loving shithead 4channer hoping to increase their terrible wasteland of a site's notoriety.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ptk
Oct 4, 2006

WW2 propaganda that emphasizes international solidarity in the struggle is kind of interesting.

edit: another really cool Japanese one. Japanese were pretty big on this, Americans and British too, Germany a bit, haven't seen anything like it from the Soviets.

ptk fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

• Locked thread