Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Midorka posted:

Edit: What do you do when the bottle breaks? I'm guessing toss the beer and call it a loss?

Yeah, I wouldn't want to gently caress with trying to get shards of broken glass out of my beer. Better to just toss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

What is so bad about bench cappers? I was thinking about getting one eventually.

You need to be Arnold Schwarznegger in his prime to use one comfortably. A bench capper will cap any bottle regardless of shape though since it doesn't put pressure on the neck, but instead puts the pressure on the bottom of the bottle.

Edit: I totally wasn't kidding about HBT crazies sniping that Citra/Amarillo. It's already sold out.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 14, 2012

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've used both bench and wing cappers and I prefer wing cappers. I feel like I have more control and get better feedback from the wing capper.

I also had the same issue as baquerd with regards to bottles getting stuck in the bench capper on occasion.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

cryme posted:

I've had problems with Founders, Firestone Walker, and Ale Asylum stubbies, but never with Sierra Nevada.

I had a New Belgium bottle pretty much explode while I was capping it a while back. I'm sure it was a random one-off defect but I avoid them now for homebrew.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I just found a gallon of cider I set aside and pitched some Jolly Pumpkin dregs into as an experiment from July/August. It's got a nice pellicle forming and is smelling awful pleasant. Now I'm all excited to try it out in few months from now. It was .997 FG before I pitched the dregs, I can't imagine how dry its gonna end up.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I just found a gallon of cider I set aside and pitched some Jolly Pumpkin dregs into as an experiment from July/August. It's got a nice pellicle forming and is smelling awful pleasant. Now I'm all excited to try it out in few months from now. It was .997 FG before I pitched the dregs, I can't imagine how dry its gonna end up.

I've been looking for something to do with an extra gallon of cider, and I think this is it, except instead of Jolly Pumpkin I'll be doing it with some Russian River sours.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I just found a gallon of cider I set aside and pitched some Jolly Pumpkin dregs into as an experiment from July/August.

This is the best idea.

crazyfish posted:

I'll be doing it with some Russian River sours.

This is the best idea.

I've been collecting "Weird poo poo in a Beaker (tm)" from all the commercial sours we buy and I can't wait to throw it into something. Cider sounds like a fun breeding ground.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

hellfaucet posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to gently caress with trying to get shards of broken glass out of my beer. Better to just toss it.

I dumped three bottles because the glass just shattered. I saved one because I caught the break in time, but I specifically marked it so I know which one it was.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
So you can think really hard about whether you want to risk glass in your digestive system? It's not worth your $.50 bottle of whatever man. Toss the brew.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Hey everyone, sorry about taking so long to get the secret santa assignments out. Wife and I just had a kid, and she was a hair early so I didn't get a chance to finish things out like santee assignments.

You'll be getting them tomorrow, notes sent to me via PM will be in there as well.

-PSoT

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I had a pretty good brewday yesterday. After all the frustrations I had with my (lack of) cooling last time, it was really refreshing to get to 70 degrees in a reasonable period of time, and to actually be able to pitch the yeast right away rather than waiting until the next morning.

I also got a reasonable whirlpool going in the brewpot, and I had an idea for a whirlpool trap - essentially, a piece of copper curled into a spiral, so that the clockwise whirlpool will tend to drive particulates to the center of the trap. Anyone ever tried anything like this?

EDIT: congrats on the new addition, PSoT. Are you going to name the child Zymurgy, or Brewer?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Daedalus Esquire posted:

This sounds amazing! I love Jolly Pumpkin, especially some Bam Bier on a hot summers day with some grilled, steaks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jo3sh posted:

I also got a reasonable whirlpool going in the brewpot, and I had an idea for a whirlpool trap - essentially, a piece of copper curled into a spiral, so that the clockwise whirlpool will tend to drive particulates to the center of the trap. Anyone ever tried anything like this?

EDIT: congrats on the new addition, PSoT. Are you going to name the child Zymurgy, or Brewer?

Can you elaborate on this device? I'm not quite conceiving how it would work.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Can you elaborate on this device? I'm not quite conceiving how it would work.

You know, it's been a long time since I have had an excuse to inflict MSPaint on you guys...

So, looking down into my kettle (black) from above, I have a pickup (red) that does not go to the center, the idea being to leave behind whirlpooled sediment. There's also a return (orange) with an elbow in it, which pushes the wort in a clockwise direction, past the immersion chiller (blue).

The proposed whirlpool trap is the green spiral in the center. It's just a sheet of copper, maybe 8" wide, bent into a coil and resting on edge at the bottom of the pot. In my mind, the whirlpool should push hop gunk and break material to the center, and the copper should encourage it to stay there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 15, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Anyone getting homebrew goodies for Christmas? I'm thinking of asking my wife to get me a March Pump.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I asked for the Chugger pump with the stainless head.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jo3sh posted:

I asked for the Chugger pump with the stainless head.

What's the difference between that and a March Pump (other than price?)

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Pretty much zero apart from the material the head is made of. I have the March pump now, and it's been great, there's nothing wrong with the polysulphone head except that the threads might wear out if you remove and install fittings frequently. There's a video on their homepage which says they've made some design changes that should improve flow and head.

Either one is a good choice.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm considering pickup up a CO2 cylinder for my father so he can purge the headspace in his wine carboys after he pulls samples. I know that the gas can dissolve into the wine but I'm thinking that the much reduced chance of aerobic infection or oxidation from him regularly opening the carboys would offset that. He isn't exactly thorough about his sanitation when sampling.

Any thoughts?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Angry Grimace posted:

Anyone getting homebrew goodies for Christmas? I'm thinking of asking my wife to get me a March Pump.

Hoping for an immersion chiller and another Better Bottle.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm considering pickup up a CO2 cylinder for my father so he can purge the headspace in his wine carboys after he pulls samples. I know that the gas can dissolve into the wine but [...]

The amount of CO2 that can dissolve into the wine is going to be very very small given that there's essentially no pressure and that it's already got CO2 dissolved in it from the fermentation.

quote:

... sanitation ...

Wine guys have a very different attitude about sanitation than brewers do, I'm not really sure why.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Bought all the parts I need to finish my keezer on a ridiculous Cyber Monday sale, I'm pretty much counting that :) I usually get a gift card to the LHBS from someone, too.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
So, I've been brewing with buddies for a bit and understand the general concepts behind the process.

I've brewed at my own house twice, and put my first beer on tap at my own place (after buying all the necessary equipment, with some hand-me-downs from my friends I brew with). It's a brown ale, which isn't hard to gently caress up, but it's super fusel-alcohol-y. It tastes a little like banana-gasoline, and a little like brown ale. Granted, the keg is not very cold yet, but I don't see this flavor diminishing too much.

I know this is a flavor that comes from warm fermentation. We keep our house cool, but I fear that our closet that we keep the fermentors in doesn't get good circulation. Aside from finding another well ventilated dark area in our house, are there any suggestions as to how to keep a poorly circulated area of our house cooler than it is, while still keeping it dark?

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

thomawesome posted:

So, I've been brewing with buddies for a bit and understand the general concepts behind the process.

I've brewed at my own house twice, and put my first beer on tap at my own place (after buying all the necessary equipment, with some hand-me-downs from my friends I brew with). It's a brown ale, which isn't hard to gently caress up, but it's super fusel-alcohol-y. It tastes a little like banana-gasoline, and a little like brown ale. Granted, the keg is not very cold yet, but I don't see this flavor diminishing too much.

I know this is a flavor that comes from warm fermentation. We keep our house cool, but I fear that our closet that we keep the fermentors in doesn't get good circulation. Aside from finding another well ventilated dark area in our house, are there any suggestions as to how to keep a poorly circulated area of our house cooler than it is, while still keeping it dark?

I use a mini fridge. You could also use whatever you are keeping your keg in.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
That works, the minifridge is small, so it'll be a squeeze. There's another closet we have that may get better circulation, and I might try first. Our place is really small, and brewing takes up a fair amount of real estate here. I'd really like to find a way to better circulate the closet air in a quiet way, or to insulate the fermentors.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Ambient temps where I ferment are 70ish, frequently more, and variable. I just use a rubbermaid as a swamp cooler and I can keep that at almost exactly 63-64 by swapping out frozen water bottles a few times daily. A friend of mine has a bathtub that isn't in use and we've loaded it up before as well. The more thermal mass of water you can have, the less temperature fluctuation you get.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Speaking of bad brew days... yesterday:

Credit card got stolen, massive stuck mash, rained while brewing, water line burst in the house, girlfriends daughter got her fingers crushed in a door (this all happened more or less at the same time somehow). And I couldn't get the drat temperature of my wort into pitching range so I had to leave it overnight :shake fist:

Now I'm on my way half way across the country and I don't even get to watch this thing blow chunks all over my brew room :(

I need to solve all sorts of temperature control problems as soon as I get back. What kind of mini fridges do you guys use? I'm assuming they have to be pretty big to fit airlocks and whatnot.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

Speaking of bad brew days... yesterday:

Credit card got stolen, massive stuck mash, rained while brewing, water line burst in the house, girlfriends daughter got her fingers crushed in a door (this all happened more or less at the same time somehow). And I couldn't get the drat temperature of my wort into pitching range so I had to leave it overnight :shake fist:

Now I'm on my way half way across the country and I don't even get to watch this thing blow chunks all over my brew room :(

I need to solve all sorts of temperature control problems as soon as I get back. What kind of mini fridges do you guys use? I'm assuming they have to be pretty big to fit airlocks and whatnot.

I use a chest freezer from Costco.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

fullroundaction posted:

A chest freezer. My 7 cubic foot one fits two buckets or carboys, they're fairly inexpensive even new and they're pretty drat light empty so it's not too much of a pain to move. Just get a temp contoller for $40-60 and you're good to go.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah a cheap chest freezer and a temperature controller are all you need.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I use a regular kitchen fridge. The freezer on this one is on the bottom, which means the fridge compartment (where the fermenters live) is elevated, so I never have to move them to rack into kegs.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
With a chest freezer/temperature control can you maintain higher temps like 65? I think I was under an assumption that was incorrect and I think I understand now. I'm guessing it works like a thermostat for your house where it will only turn on if the chest falls below X temp and turn off at X temp?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Yes, no problem with running ferment or serving temps in a chest freezer with a controller. The controller has a sensor that goes in the storage compartment, and it just cuts power when the temp is at or below the set point, and turns it on again when it rises a few degrees.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Midorka posted:

With a chest freezer/temperature control can you maintain higher temps like 65? I think I was under an assumption that was incorrect and I think I understand now. I'm guessing it works like a thermostat for your house where it will only turn on if the chest falls below X temp and turn off at X temp?
Exactly right. Some controllers have a heating and cooling cycle and some only have one or the other.

The way mine works you set the temp you want it to keep, the deviation from that temp before it activates the heating or cooling side, and a compressor delay.
So I've got mine set to 6.5*C with .5* of deviation and a 5 minute compressor delay.
When the temp hits 7* the cooling side is energized providing power to the freezer which notices it isn't currently frozen and turns on. When the temp controller sees the freezer is at 6.5* it turns back off (the temp actually keeps dropping to about 6* before it starts rising again). The compressor delay prevents the freezer from being turned on and off rapidly due to having the lid open or something which would kill the compressor in a hurry.

The heating side would work the same in reverse. You can use one of those ceramic heat things that people use for reptiles, some type of heating mat, or whatever.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Thanks! My girlfriend has an unused fridge. Can this be used in the same manner?

Edit: I realize that's probably a stupid question though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Midorka posted:

If your temps are BELOW ferment temps you're looking for, i.e. if you're trying to make a Belgian or Saison in December, you need a heat belt or wrap with the temperature controller set to "heat." There are dual stage controllers that will allow you to do both at the same time for precision.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

Thanks! My girlfriend has an unused fridge. Can this be used in the same manner?

Edit: I realize that's probably a stupid question though.

Yes, it absolutely can.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I've personally had a lot of luck just keeping the chamber itself at 65, but the impression I get is that most people try to monitor the liquid itself by taping the probe to the Carboy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

I've personally had a lot of luck just keeping the chamber itself at 65, but the impression I get is that most people try to monitor the liquid itself by taping the probe to the Carboy.
You basically have two options and its dependent what your differential is set to and whether you can change it. With a small differential like 1F you want it insulated up against the side of the carboy, or in a thermowell if you are really spergy. A larger differential like 5F is perfect for moderating bulk air temp in a freezer to keep the liquid temp +-1F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Going to my homebrew club's first internal competition, an "APA Off", in an hour - wish me luck.