Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ohvee posted:

Is there a good Dragon Quest VIII LP around? A quick google search returns a bunch of them on youtube, but all made by different people. With that Studio Ghibli/Level-5 RPG coming out soon, I kind of want to vicariously play through DQ8 again.

If I can figure out how to make one, this is my #1 priority on PS2 LPs. Dragon Quest 8 is a hell of a game.

But it's going to be pretty far out in the future if I actually go through with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Video capture card, OFS? Using that, you'd presumably record a video then take screens from said video...

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I remember watching the first video not too long ago of some horror let's play a couple of guys were doing. It featured two girls, a camera and ghosts. It looked pretty interesting but it's either disappeared or I'm just blind. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Law posted:

I remember watching the first video not too long ago of some horror let's play a couple of guys were doing. It featured two girls, a camera and ghosts. It looked pretty interesting but it's either disappeared or I'm just blind. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

The game is Fatal Frame. Either 1 or 2, I don't know having not played them myself.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The game sounds like something from the Fatal Frame series, probably Fatal Frame 2. Not sure about the LPers, though.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

The game sounds like something from the Fatal Frame series, probably Fatal Frame 2. Not sure about the LPers, though.

The only Fatal Frame 2 LP done on here was mine, and it was a solo, subbed LP. He's probably thinking of this FF3 LP that got abandoned about 2/3 of the way through the game. One guy was doing a goofy blind run and the other an expert Nightmare Mode run.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390210 (need archives)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Gonna suggest to anyone who likes a bit of schadenfreude that they look at Beyond the Beyond, which is an atrocious early PS1 RPG by atrocious developers (the Golden Sun people) and gets taken to task pretty handily by Azure_Horizon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Gonna suggest to anyone who likes a bit of schadenfreude that they look at Beyond the Beyond, which is an atrocious early PS1 RPG by atrocious developers (the Golden Sun people) and gets taken to task pretty handily by Azure_Horizon.

Second this one. To give perspective, this game is from the same company behind the Golden Sun series. Azure does a great job rolling with the game's bullshit while ripping it apart.

Speaking of nonsensical games with ridiculous gameplay, Quovak just finished a magical LP of an obscure sci-fi adventure game called Jesus: Kyōfu No Bio Monster. He takes a game with incredibly obscure triggers and a limited-though-hilariously-faithful translation and runs with his usual verbosely entertaining style as he goes through the game pointing out the game's many, many plot holes culminating in one of gaming's more batshit insane endings. As a bonus, the translator has also posted his experiences in translating the game in the thread. The LP's pretty short, too, and probably won't take more than a couple hours an hour or so (didn't realize it was only a few updates, though a couple aren't in the OP) at most to go through the entire thing, which is definitely worth the time investment.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 22, 2012

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

They also did the shining force games, and they are currently doing vaiorous Mario sports games. Anyways, I second this suggestion, cheesy games always make for good LPs.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Obscil posted:

They also did the shining force games, and they are currently doing vaiorous Mario sports games. Anyways, I second this suggestion, cheesy games always make for good LPs.

It's funny because the game looks like a Shining Force game but is of magnitudes worse.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Obscil posted:

The problem is Camelot has a lot more misses than hits. Their best post-SF RPG was a sports game. At this point we can basically call Shining Force a fluke.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've checked the Master List and didn't see it there, as well as some Google searching and similarly came up dry, so I hope I didn't miss something dumb and obvious somewhere, but...

Does anybody know where to find a well-done LP of the Killzone series of games? I get that they aren't the most, well, in-depth games on the planet, but I remember trying to play through the first one for the PS2 before I finally gave up after growing tired of dealing with the terrible companion AI and repetitive levels, but then Killzone somehow wound up becoming a thing for Sony and now I'm interested to see how the other games turned out.

There are YouTube LPs of the series to be found but they are all uniformly terrible, played by yammering idiots with annoying voices and lovely senses of humor. I'm hoping someone here knows of a not-terrible LP someone did of these so I can scratch this itch.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If you like atmospheric horror games, Egomaniac's got a fantastic LP going right now of Siren. You might remember he already LPed it back in 2007, but (since it was 2007) the video was very low quality and the LP, though fantastic, could've been improved. He's already doing a very good job of showing off things he didn't really show off before!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Speaking of atmospheric games, Peenmaster's Home LP is really good. I think we're near the end of the game by now and I would have recommended it earlier, but I thought it would have picked up a lot more steam by now.

It's still a really good LP of a game that's certainly interesting. He offers voting on all major decisions, too, so it's the goons who have (and have not) played the game before driving the adventure.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Seconding that! It's a heck of a game and the presentation is good, too.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Does anyone know where the Fail Pile Defcon Christmas special can be found? It doesn't feel like Christmas without it. The link in the lparchive is dead. :/

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
That was on Jade Star's viddler account, and I've been bugging him to reupload it but he's stubborn.

Edit: I got this if it helps set the mood?

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 26, 2012

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

This is a good start but it doesn't contain nearly enough happy children. I do feel slightly more festive now though!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Roar posted:

Does anyone know where the Fail Pile Defcon Christmas special can be found? It doesn't feel like Christmas without it. The link in the lparchive is dead. :/

Because I love you so much Roar, and because it's the season to be less spiteful,and mostly because Guava was giving me crap about it on skype, I found the video and am uploading it now!

Defcon Christmas. Give it a while, like 20-30 min after this post.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

You know, this was a wonderful video, but I'm just a little sad Christmas At Ground Zero didn't start playing once Defcon 1 hit and all the Gifts started getting delivered.

Maybe that's just me.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Jade Star posted:

Because I love you so much Roar, and because it's the season to be less spiteful,and mostly because Guava was giving me crap about it on skype, I found the video and am uploading it now!

Defcon Christmas. Give it a while, like 20-30 min after this post.

You saved Christmas :banjo:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ben Kasack posted:

You know, this was a wonderful video, but I'm just a little sad Christmas At Ground Zero didn't start playing once Defcon 1 hit and all the Gifts started getting delivered.

Maybe that's just me.
It's not just you :( sad to hear that, I'll have it prepared on another tab :D

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
I just finished watching CannibalK9's "The Void" LP and would highly recommend it. He does a great job of providing interesting, thought-provoking commentary to accompany a very atmospheric game, something I don't see a lot of. If you haven't seen it already, you should totally check it out.

It's just a shame this seems to have been his last LP, I really enjoyed it and would have liked to watch more.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I don't know if he reads the thread, but I just finished Bobbin Threadbare's LP of Quest for Glory and it was fantastic. So thank you for making that. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Necroneocon posted:

I don't know if he reads the thread, but I just finished Bobbin Threadbare's LP of Quest for Glory and it was fantastic. So thank you for making that. I really enjoyed it a lot.

To second this recommendation and add a bit more detail - as a lifelong Sierra fan and a fellow Sierra LPer, I think the QFG LP is quite possibly the greatest LP there could ever be of a Sierra series. (Not to take away from what idonotlikepeas is doing with Police Quest - that's worth reading too, and you've got about two and a half games to catch up on.) Bobbin took a series with plenty of personality, but a hero with no personality, and turned the hero into a meaningful character. Or three or four, depending on how you look at it. The transitions in which he shows the various ways of solving puzzles as different character classes are as smooth as you could want, the technical competence is everything you could want from an SSLP, and not to ruin the surprise, but he makes his own story of the fourth game while remaining true to the story that was already there. By the end, I was excited to see where things were going to go, and I've beaten every game in the series.

EDIT: I also don't want to forget Bacter's LP of The Colonel's Bequest. I recommended it before, and it was amazing, but I haven't been enjoying the Dagger of Amon Ra LP quite as much because he hasn't carried the gimmick forward. (With good reason.) That was an excellent LP of a game, but the QFG and Police Quest LPs do what they do with the entire series.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 30, 2012

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Nidoking posted:

To second this recommendation and add a bit more detail - as a lifelong Sierra fan and a fellow Sierra LPer, I think the QFG LP is quite possibly the greatest LP there could ever be of a Sierra series. (Not to take away from what idonotlikepeas is doing with Police Quest - that's worth reading too, and you've got about two and a half games to catch up on.)

No, no, I completely agree. QFG would actually have been my first choice to LP, but I read Bobbin's LPs of them and literally could not think of any way to improve on them.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Yeah, I'm still doing an alternate ending, but this is a much more complete game so this is more just showing off a pretty awesome experience.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Is this well recommended Quest for Glory LP still active? I tried to look for it by going through the Let's Play forum page by page as far as my non-archives account would let me and doing cntrl-f looking for "glory" or "bobbin", but I found nothing. Could I have a link, perhaps, maybe, please?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's in Baldurk's LP Archive, though I'm sure if you looked long enough, you'd find it in the SA ones too: http://lparchive.org/Quest-for-Glory-1-5/

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
I know there's been a whole bunch of recommendations regarding the Dangan Ronpa LP that was massively popular, but is it worth reading the thread or just waiting for the archive version on the LP Archive?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

mrbasehart posted:

I know there's been a whole bunch of recommendations regarding the Dangan Ronpa LP that was massively popular, but is it worth reading the thread or just waiting for the archive version on the LP Archive?

The story is already done, you don't need to read the thread (and honestly, I recommend you don't). All the updates are linked in the OP, you can just go off of that. If you like games like Phoenix Wright, 999, Virtue's Last Reward, etc, you'll love Dangan Ronpa.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

I'd like to recommend your evil twin's LP of the 2009 Wolfenstein game. It is almost over so now is the perfect time to watch the backlog in time for the finale.

From the very beginning his style has been very laid back and informative. He can easily carry the commentary without guests because his knowledge about the game as well as all the other titles of the Wolfenstein franchise is nigh inexhaustable.
In addition to playing on the hardest difficulty your evil twin also shows off the location of every collectible as well as the depth of the black market upgrade system and the insanely powerful arsenal you get out of it.

The videos themselves are well edited with some of his more interesting deaths left in. And his montages of memorable occasions are used sparingly, yet to great effect.
Oh, and because the game wasn't challenging enough your evil twin went above the call of duty and made a mod for the game midway through the LP and shows off why he changed certain things to make the game more fun instead of a total cakewalk.

trw
Dec 24, 2003

mrbasehart posted:

Best way is just to press the questionmark button on the op and just read his posts. The lp is great but the thread is terrible.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Last Transmission posted:

I'd like to recommend your evil twin's LP of the 2009 Wolfenstein game. It is almost over so now is the perfect time to watch the backlog in time for the finale.

From the very beginning his style has been very laid back and informative. He can easily carry the commentary without guests because his knowledge about the game as well as all the other titles of the Wolfenstein franchise is nigh inexhaustable.
In addition to playing on the hardest difficulty your evil twin also shows off the location of every collectible as well as the depth of the black market upgrade system and the insanely powerful arsenal you get out of it.

The videos themselves are well edited with some of his more interesting deaths left in. And his montages of memorable occasions are used sparingly, yet to great effect.
Oh, and because the game wasn't challenging enough your evil twin went above the call of duty and made a mod for the game midway through the LP and shows off why he changed certain things to make the game more fun instead of a total cakewalk.
I have been following the thread since the start and wanted to echo all of this, but also point out that he even went so far as to purchase a handful of copies of the game when it was still available on Steam - which was pretty much the only way to get this game short of buying a boxed copy before it got pulled over legal franchise nonsense - and is currently giving them away as prizes for a fanart contest! :)

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Law posted:

You might be thinking of Run Button's Fatal Frame 2 LP video. It seems to fit your description perfectly, but as far as I know they're not doing a full LP of the game, it was just a single video. They have several concurrent LPs going at the moment, so if this is the right video, you probably found it in their Silent Hill 2 thread.

I recommend any LPs by Run Button - best place to keep up is probably their YouTube page.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
[MODE]. It's supergreatfriend.

It's a very nineties "choose your own adventure" FMV game which was critically panned*. People eventually make their way to the creator's website, who eventually ends up joining the forums, giving good information and generating excellent discussion in the thread.

So it transformed into one those LPs where the thread really enhances the experience.

There's a good amount to discuss, so I'll just leave it at that.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Neither of these threads get enough love :(

First up is Saira by Ultigonio
Ultigonio's got a clever use of subtitles combined with a very atmospheric game. All in all, this is probably the most chill VLP going on right now.

Next is Quovak's Jesus thread.
This is a goddamn surreal masterpiece, and it's a shame that it's overshadowed by every other VN thread in Let's Play. It's basically what you get when you combine a shallow Alien rip-off, Japan, and caveman speak. There's also the added bonus of the translator responsible for said caveman speak posting in the thread as well.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Is anyone doing a Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward LP? I just heard about this game, but I don't plan to drop money on a Vita or 3Ds just to play it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The game isn't even out yet for three months, and for that matter there hasn't been a (complete) 999 LP yet which is basically a prerequisite.

Not to mention doing a 3DS LP is close to impossible and a Vita LP sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The game isn't even out yet for three months, and for that matter there hasn't been a (complete) 999 LP yet which is basically a prerequisite.

Not to mention doing a 3DS LP is close to impossible and a Vita LP sounds like a pain in the rear end.

I figured an lp of it would be pretty difficult.

• Locked thread