Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I buy my clothes, oil filters, oil, and groceries from the same shop. It's convenient and I don't need to get a jump to the other side of the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Do you guys all have cars with wierdo expensive oil filters or something? The OEM filters with the actual car maker's stamp on the side is usually cheaper or the same price at the dealer as the orange FRAM ones from Canadian Tire. Why would you use anything else? An oil filter for me is like $5 at the dealer, even if the FRAM one was half the price at $2.50 why would you bother? I'll slurge on the extra $2.50 in case I have to sell the car to some rear end in a top hat like Godholio.

I'm just pampering my cars, don't judge me :colbert:

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm just pampering my cars, don't judge me :colbert:

Pampers are made from cheap absorbent material and weak adhesive, my car gets Huggies,

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Do you guys all have cars with wierdo expensive oil filters or something? The OEM filters with the actual car maker's stamp on the side is usually cheaper or the same price at the dealer as the orange FRAM ones from Canadian Tire. Why would you use anything else? An oil filter for me is like $5 at the dealer, even if the FRAM one was half the price at $2.50 why would you bother? I'll slurge on the extra $2.50 in case I have to sell the car to some rear end in a top hat like Godholio.
For Subarus there are basically two (now really three) kinds of filters, "blue" and "black" and one of them is somehow better than the other. The horrible US dealerships used to sell the good Japanese kind but now only sell the bad American kind.

As such there's a bunch of debate about which filters the good Japanese kind are based on, where you can find them now, etc. It's pretty dumb, I just put on whatever the dealership sells in quantity at like $5 a pop.

Reportedly now the "third" kind of filter (designed for the entirely different FA/FB engine) is somehow better for EJ engines than the black/blue EJ filters were.

That said, you've been on the Internet long enough to know that the busiest topics on car forums involve oil.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I just use Purolator filters.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

K&N ones come with a nut welded on, it's slick.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Buy a car with a Cartridge oil filter. Problem solved! :smug:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Carteret posted:

Do you get the OEM, or the WIX branded ones? :allears:

They all feel the same to my penis.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 30, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm talking about rebuilding motors that have $25+ OEM filters. If it's something that takes a sanely priced filter I just use a good one. (Yes, I'm talking about things like aircooled Porsche motors)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Carteret posted:

Now cartridge filters ARE horrible mechanical failures... or at least horrible customer-screwing failures. Requiring a particular large-sized wrench that is different between brands, plus a cartridge (that is the same thing as a standard spin-on oil filter, but without the shell, backflow valve, etc) that costs MORE than a spin-on filter.

Plus, there's the added bonus that dealerships talk about them like they are some kind of special voodoo, further pushing people out of DIY service. gently caress cartridge filters.

And I'm not even going to start on Toyota's extra twist of a built-in oil drain in the cartridge that requires a separate bolt to be loosened that is always tighter than the main body, so it's virtually useless (since the main body breaks free letting the oil out before the drain valve breaks free).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Viggen posted:

Do you get the OEM, or the WIX branded ones? :allears:

They all feel the same to my penis.

Man's car needs Mann filters!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

meatpimp posted:

at least horrible customer-screwing failures.

Amen to that. I bought a box of filters for 3.8 Gen Coupe for decently cheap (thank god bulk internet purchases!) and did the same for my VR6. If you are expecting it, it's pretty standard, but the first time I saw it it blew my loving mind. I think I still have the retarded sized socket (32mm?) rolling around in my toolbox.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey, good for you. When you're paying ~$25-$40 just for a generic Ryco filter which is about all that is available let me know.
If we are bitching about filters, the most recent ones on both the Subaru motor and the Ford don't seem to have any backflow protection. Both lube systems un-prime themselves in no time flat. Both engines now when I start them if they've been sitting for a day + is "TAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak" :smithicide:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I'd rather be in the car with half as much mass and be nimble enough to just avoid an accident. Viva Miata :3:

I was always scared as hell of getting rear ended when I had the MX5 (no not like that your dirty fuckers). While we don't really have full sized pickup trucks, even a 4x4 Hilux or Triton is high enough that the back of your head becomes the entire crumple zone in a low slung convertible.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Carteret posted:

Until the first time a Dealer technician uses an impact gun to put the cover on.
gently caress YOU TOYOTA!!!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have been buying my oil and cartridge filters from the BMW dealer. They are selling me the parts at the same price as the NAPA dealer in town. Plus I can get my car washed for free and gawk at the latest M car :swoon:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Now cartridge filters ARE horrible mechanical failures... or at least horrible customer-screwing failures. Requiring a particular large-sized wrench that is different between brands, plus a cartridge (that is the same thing as a standard spin-on oil filter, but without the shell, backflow valve, etc) that costs MORE than a spin-on filter.

Plus, there's the added bonus that dealerships talk about them like they are some kind of special voodoo, further pushing people out of DIY service. gently caress cartridge filters.

And I'm not even going to start on Toyota's extra twist of a built-in oil drain in the cartridge that requires a separate bolt to be loosened that is always tighter than the main body, so it's virtually useless (since the main body breaks free letting the oil out before the drain valve breaks free).

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Until the first time a Dealer technician uses an impact gun to put the cover on.
gently caress YOU TOYOTA!!!

I worked at a Toyota dealership for a while and this. This this this this. Not to mention, the drain bung is tighter than the housing FROM THE FACTORY so it is useless even with a car that has never been serviced before. Plus you need the special toyota unblocker tool; a drain bung isn't enough, oh no: you push the disposable plastic barbed pipe into the hole and it wedges a spring-loaded valve open. Good luck draining the housing without one!

And then there are the cars (I'm looking at you 2zr-fe) which have a plastic housing with no drain. If you use anything other than a perfectly sized cup-style filter wrench you WILL destroy it.

I hate modern toyotas, they are terrible cars from an engineering standpoint and I challenge anyone to dispute this.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slavvy posted:

I hate modern toyotas, they are terrible cars from an engineering standpoint and I challenge anyone to dispute this.

They are cars made for idiots.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

They are cars made for idiots.

What the gently caress *happened* to Toyota? My first real car was an '82 Supra, and I had an '88 Supra, and they were both fantastic, great-handling, reliable cars. Then Toyota hit a point where they just decided "No fun cars. Only beige." No more Supra, then no more MR2, and then even no more Celica. Just beige. The hell?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Around 01-03 they did a complete turn-around with their design philosophy. One moment you have pleasant, extremely rugged, well made cars designed to sell based on their intrinsic quality. The next, everything is keyed for quantity over quality, lowest-cost, maximum market penetration bullshit.

Work on a 99 corolla, then work on a 2004 corolla. If you scrubbed all the badges and stampings away, you would swear they're made by different companies. The hilux went from being a legendary tank to a fragile, cantankerous flower in one model cycle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The hilux went from being a legendary tank to a fragile, cantankerous flower in one model cycle.

Isn't that mostly because it finally got a modern diesel engine?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It got a modern diesel engine which toyota designed with very little foresight; the emissions controls to comply with euro IV and V are very poorly integrated and the fuel injector design and layout is exceptionally poor. Ford, mitsubishi, nissan, hyundai etc all have analogous engines and the toyota is the worst of the lot. The EGR system constantly clogs, the injector pintles clog, the fuel filter design is seemingly intended to breed diesel bug, the injectors pop out of the head because the clamp design is poor, it goes on and on.

On every engine I've seen other than a hilux/hiace/prado, the injector fuel return line is outside of the engine. Toyota decided the best place for it would be immersed in oil inside the cam cover, attached to each injector by means of a banjo bolt and passing through a hole in the cylinder head (also via banjo bolt). When the bolts aren't tightened *perfectly* or one of the washers has failed, fuel rapidly fills the crank-case and the turbo begins ingesting it through the breather pipe, leading to a runaway.

I've seen this happen twice, the second time ended in a catastrophic failure.

Toyota rant over :)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What would the new Toyota-equivalent be?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honestly, I don't think there really is one because of the current market environment. Honda are pretty good reliability-wise nowadays, as are subaru. I can't speak in detail though as I haven't really worked on modern examples of either brand. GM and ford still suck, nissan is hovering somewhere inbetween but someone more familiar with those brands could tell you more. Modern korean cars are pretty good too, though technologically less advanced in some ways.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Dash cam that filmed the plane crash in Russia, possible mechanical failure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQdW6yS5o4

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Phanatic posted:

What the gently caress *happened* to Toyota? My first real car was an '82 Supra, and I had an '88 Supra, and they were both fantastic, great-handling, reliable cars. Then Toyota hit a point where they just decided "No fun cars. Only beige." No more Supra, then no more MR2, and then even no more Celica. Just beige. The hell?

Well the new FR-S is pretty cool... but its having its own set of issues.

But again, compared to the recent ratings, Toyota is starting to lose its whole "best car ever made" standing. I know the rest of the manufacturers are not that great, but Toyota has really let poo poo slip lately.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

A student posted:

What would the new Toyota-equivalent be?

Honda would get my nod for small cars. Our Fits are easy to work on, although little to nothing breaks. We've got a combined 150k on two of them, and the failures thus far are: one coil pack, and one rear wiper motor. The wiper was covered under warranty. The coil I changed out in less than an hour, including swapping all of them around on the two cars to diagnose which coil was failing. I've worked on recent civics and they aren't bad either.

Reliability wise, both Kia and Hyundai make darn good cars. Don't know about working on them, however.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I once dealt with an aurion (40 series v6 camry) which had water leaking into the boot. This is very common and usually involves sealing up various grommets etc. So I jumped in the boot with a light and had someone hose the back of the car down with water. Immediately a MASSIVE TORRENT of water came through between the boot lid and the rubber seal on the car body itself.

After much loving around, boot adjusting etc it occurred to me to actually measure the car, and we found the entire rear of the vehicle was distorted ie one rear quarter panel was 20mm higher than the other and the boot hole was a parallelogram instead of a rectangle. That car had less than 5000km's on the clock.

sharkytm posted:

Honda would get my nod for small cars. Our Fits are easy to work on, although little to nothing breaks. We've got a combined 150k on two of them, and the failures thus far are: one coil pack, and one rear wiper motor. The wiper was covered under warranty. The coil I changed out in less than an hour, including swapping all of them around on the two cars to diagnose which coil was failing. I've worked on recent civics and they aren't bad either.

Reliability wise, both Kia and Hyundai make darn good cars. Don't know about working on them, however.

I work on Kias every day and they brand new stuff is fantastic to repair, older stuff gets cuntier as you go back in time. The current R-series diesel engine has no design-related issues whatsoever and most of the technical bulletins etc pertain to fit and finish, dashboard rattle/electronic malfunction type stuff rather than actual mechanical problems.

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
I hope modern Toyotas aren't that awful to work on my girlfriends 2001 Avalon is awesome from a serviceability standpoint. Its as though the engineers thought that someone might have to work on it someday. Its a boring as hell car but its rather nice for upkeep.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My engines get loving oil filters and loving oil. And they like it, or they get the hose again.

I'm pretty sure there are Fram filters on at least two of them right now. Maybe 3. I don't care, they don't seem to either.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

WebDog posted:

Do these count?

Basically a container ship got hit in a tropical storm and the lashing failed.

Do you need me to start posting some ship-based failures?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Two Finger posted:

Please. Always love seeing maritime disasters... I think it's that they're always much bigger in scale.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

Please. Always love seeing maritime disasters... I think it's that they're always much bigger in scale.

My grandfather was a engineer on cargo ships for the first part of his working life. He later settled down and just did engine repair. Pictures of failures like that or just even stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Mw6L69b6Y give the utmost respect for him.

Edit: Which is funny because he refuses to set foot on a airplane.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Two Finger posted:

Yes please!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Found this under the valve cover in the 911 today:

And thus my small job to fix leaky valve covers just became a full on engine rebuild. :(

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But again, compared to the recent ratings, Toyota is starting to lose its whole "best car ever made" standing. I know the rest of the manufacturers are not that great, but Toyota has really let poo poo slip lately.

Toyota used to over-engineer the gently caress out of everything. They took great pride in it. Even seemingly inconsequential parts would get engineering attention. Bob Lutz has a bit in one of his books about how Chevy had a problem with some L-shaped part, I think it was a seat belt hanger, that the guys in the factory kept putting in oriented wrong. He looked at how Toyota did it, their part was keyed so that it only fit on the car one way, and Lutz's mind was blown.

The problem with this approach is that it reduced commonality. Your Camry seatbelt hanger was different from your Tercel seatbelt hanger which was different from your Avalon seatbelt hangar etc. Parts stocking was a hassle and it cut into profits. Toyota decided that the price premium they were getting for quality simply didn't justify the extra effort. This combined with general cost-cutting like going from triple-door seals to single, cheaper plastics etc. - you wanted cost-no-object quality, well, they had Lexus for that. I remember this happening around late '90s, but it took a few years for it really to show up in the car designs.

Supposedly one of the big noticeable ways this manifested was in the accelerator pedal debacle. A few years earlier, every Toyota had its own accelerator pedal design. Toyota had simplified this down to two different parts. When one of them was suspected of being defective, this then hit some hundreds of thousands of cars and was a PR nightmare.

Toyota's gotten away with cost-cutting away quality and having boring, bland design for a while but the Koreans are gunning for their asses hard and will push them into the dirt if they don't figure out how to get out of their rut.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It isn't just Toyota, every Japanese manufacturer went through the same thing back in the 90s. It was all driven by the high value of the yen

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Aurune posted:

My grandfather was a engineer on cargo ships for the first part of his working life. He later settled down and just did engine repair. Pictures of failures like that or just even stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Mw6L69b6Y give the utmost respect for him.

Edit: Which is funny because he refuses to set foot on a airplane.

Well, you might be interested to know that as terrifying as that video looks, that is actually designed into the ship - those familiar with Hooke's law will see that this is still within the elastic range of the steel.

Now, some pictures.
This one isn't a failure of any sort whatsoever, but it gives an idea of the kind of engines we deal with:

This group of photos are all from an item of equipment - any guesses?

And this is a different piece of equipment - again, any guesses?

And for bonus points on the second one, anyone guess HOW they found the problem?

And this is not so much mechanical failure as crew morale failure

Yeah.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

sharkytm posted:

I agree on the Honda mark. I've got a 2004 Civic, 143,000+ miles, and so far I've gone through 6 tires, set of rotors, set of brake pads, and an oxygen sensor. The only other things that are on my to fix list are the right rear window motor doesn't work, and a bolt under the driver seat seems to be broken making the seat move occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
This happened to my friend this spring.