Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
This Chainsawsuit comic is a nice companion to the current I4H:

The interview guy seemed to be acting out of a need for safety (personal and that of his community), and it was great that Matt & co addressed how gun proliferation doesn't lead to that outcome.

And that was probably the funniest episode too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Hey, you know, D&D and TFR both have threads where people are happy and willing to talk about guns, so maybe give them a look and keep this thread for discussion about what the episode. I'm interested in reading about the podcasts and comedians, not reading :smug: off-the-cuff gun control editorials (from either side of the debate, to be clear).

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

ibntumart posted:

Hey, you know, D&D and TFR both have threads where people are happy and willing to talk about guns, so maybe give them a look and keep this thread for discussion about what the episode. I'm interested in reading about the podcasts and comedians, not reading :smug: off-the-cuff gun control editorials (from either side of the debate, to be clear).

If you want interesting & relevant Earwolf-related comedy discussion then read this:
http://nymag.com/arts/comics/features/upright-citizens-brigade-2011-10/#print

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Analytic Engine posted:

If you want interesting & relevant Earwolf-related comedy discussion then read this:

Thanks for this!

Brett Gelman posted:

It was Valentine’s Day 2004, and I had just broken up with my girlfriend, so I was pretty angry. Somebody came on the mike and said, “Ladies and gentlemen, September 10, 2001.” And the spotlight comes up and “The Candy Man” starts playing, and I come out naked in tap shoes and blackface, dancing horribly. Then all of a sudden, the lights turn red, and [the German industrial band] Rammstein comes on, and I look at the audience and I go, “Tomorrow, a terrible tragedy will happen that will kill thousands of people. America will become a cage of fear. What are you going to do when fascism takes over?” And I started goose-stepping around the stage. Then, after about a minute of that, “The Candy Man” comes back on, and I finish up the tap dance. And I received a standing ovation.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

This is an incredible read.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

little munchkin posted:

Brett Gelman posted:

brilliant conceptual comedy
The best part is fans of Gelmania would probably have guessed it was him anyway.

Also, this quote is pretty crazy considering how tight the comedy profession can be:

New York magazine posted:

In 2005, the UCB opened a theater in West Hollywood that quickly became populated by UCB alumni who had gone to L.A. for work on such shows as Community, Parks and Recreation, and Childrens Hospital. The New York hub has grown to include two theaters, a training center, five touring troupes, and eight Harold teams. About 8,000 students are taking classes this year [2011], on both coasts. On any given night, you can find a group flailing around the 26th Street basement, exposing their strangest comedic impulses (or worse).
UCB already casts a huge shadow on modern comedy, imagine what the landscape's going to look like ten years from now!
(I'm imagining it'll be even funnier BTW)

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
One of the high points of my Christmas was hearing Jason Mantzoukas have a total brain implosion around 15 minutes into the newest HDTGM. (Good episode overall too, especially if you like Kremer).

cams
Mar 28, 2003

GraPar posted:

One of the high points of my Christmas was hearing Jason Mantzoukas have a total brain implosion around 15 minutes into the newest HDTGM. (Good episode overall too, especially if you like Kremer).
To be fair, they stumbled on to some mind blowing stuff about Reindeer Games.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was really dreading Kremer on on How Did This Get Made. Luckily he didn't talk too much. I really don't like him. They did have some great revelations about Reindeer Games. I almost want to go back and watch the movie again. I haven't seen it since it came out so I actually didn't remember a lot of what they mentioned.

And I see that Jessica St. Clair is on Who Charted tonight. Sorry Jessica, I just can't stomach listening to Kremer long enough to listen to that.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I always found it odd how divisive Howard Kremer is on this forum, seems like whenever he's brought up or is on another podcast someone posts about how much they hate him with a passion

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Lee obviously has a bunch of accounts here.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I didn't have an opinion on Kremer before, but if he's breaking our SA forum rules well...<:mad:>

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 26, 2012

Production
Jun 11, 2001
And now we have Jessica St. Clair to thank for causing his origin story as Escapee of the Connivers to resurface. I wonder whether he started to sound like a confused 70-year-old immediately after the six or seven concussions, or if he's always been that way.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The only time Howard Kremer is funny is when he's unintentionally funny eg saying something ridiculously stupid. He does that really well. Anytime he actually tries to be funny it's usually so stupid that it falls into unintentionally funny.

I realized recently that Jen Kirkman is Kremer if he was also intentionally funny. If you've ever heard her on Pod F. Tompkast you know she can be really weird and say dumb stuff and it ends up being hilarious. Even when she's trying to be sincere it ends up funny. But she can also actually try to be funny and still be hilarious.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
His "have a summah" bit was pretty funny but it's been pretty thoroughly beaten into the ground at this point.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I love Kremer. He's like a more hosed up Harris to me.

jeffullrich posted:

Thanks!

Here is our holiday video. Thanks for listening!

http://blog.earwolf.com/post/38313566973#notes

I also love Matt Besser. He's just so hateful.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
New Improv with Seth Morris, Brian Huskey and Joel Spence! Santa was a bit late, but it's the best Christmas gift of all!

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

rapeface posted:

Besser looks more and more like Tarantino every day, especially with those glasses.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 29, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

rapeface posted:

If it were anybody else, I would think they were joking, but I have no trouble believing that Matt Besser was being completely serious.

Also someone tell him to stop getting perms.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Besser is, despite me sometimes griping about specific bits, one of the few current 'angry comics' that I really enjoy consistently. He does have a gift for delivering pure vitriol in a funny way.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Is there a good place to start with Improv 4 Humans? I've been meaning to give that a shot, since a bunch of people I like on Comedy Bang Bang are on it, but with so many past episodes it's a bit daunting.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

barkingclam posted:

Is there a good place to start with Improv 4 Humans? I've been meaning to give that a shot, since a bunch of people I like on Comedy Bang Bang are on it, but with so many past episodes it's a bit daunting.

They're all pretty great and don't require any prior knowledge. Just pick one with names you like (any with Mantzoukas, Ben Schwartz or Tim Meadows are a pretty safe bet) and go from there.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

barkingclam posted:

Either from the start or, because it's an improv show and the quality varies depending on the guests, just cherry-pick with your favourite guests.

That being said, the Lennon Parham, Jessica St Clair and Jason Mantzoukas episode is tops. So is any one with Paul Rust or Adam Pally or Ben Schwartz.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

barkingclam posted:

There have been some pretty great episodes lately, and there's some bit in every episode that makes it worth listening to, but here's my personal list of favorites:
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/quadruple-mix-in/
Jason Mantzoukas, Jessica St Clair and Lennon Parham do improv with Matt that goes to some really crazy places
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/its-your-choice-to-suck-a-dick/
Is an unfortunately titled episode where Betsy Sodaro, Jeff Hiller and Colton Dunn go off on Victoria Jackson (who apparently was supposed to be interviewed on the show but backed out) and many other things. Betsy has a really great voice that I can't believe isn't in every cartoon in the world right now.
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/basset-hound-lips/
Ian Roberts, Jon Daly, and another guy who I don't know but that is very good discuss Katt Williams' recent meltdown and wring some amazing improv comedy from it
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/gun-control/
Some talk about gun control and a "Matt grills a guy from the internet" segment but mostly just really hilarious, unexpected improv. Features an appearance by one of my favorites, Paul Rust, plus Sean Clements, one of the guys from Reality Show Show who I didn't even know was an improv comedian but who was way good

That went oldest to newest. Quadruple Mix-In and Gun Control are probably my two absolute favorites out of them all. Really though, you could start at the beginning and listen straight through the run of the podcast to have a good time.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

barkingclam posted:

Pick ones with people you like from CBB; Andy Daly, Seth Morris, and Lennon Parham have great appearances. Or just listen to the latest one it's pretty funny.

It doesn't really matter where you start though. There's no callbacks or running jokes at all, and it's the most consistently good podcast I've listened to. Except for Besser's unironic gun control debate with some random dude from twitter, you can skip that episode.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I didn't like the gun debate episode either, and I like the Reality Show Show podcast. I didn't like the circular logic free for all that guy from the internet brought with him (who would have guessed an internet guy would not make for the best debator) and that took up many minutes, but also none of the improvvers seemed to have much of a rapport with Besser. Lots of other people liked it a lot, so I dunno, but I wouldn't start with that one. Go with an Andy Daly episode or that Parham/St. Claire/Mantzoukas one.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Thanks for all the recommendations!

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

quote:

Jake Fogelnest ‏@jakefogelnest

@NewCardSmell Dave, you get to Los Angeles, we will do an episode of the podcast together.

:stare:

:psypop:

Okay, so: I'm as poor as poor can be. So, I obviously sell off my family heirlooms to raise the money for airfare/hotel to do this (and make it work so I can also go see a Doug Loves Movies taping) right? Cause if I don't, the rest of my life is pretty much meaningless, right?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Uh, yeah, I don't see at all why you wouldn't.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Lugaloco posted:

Besser looks more and more like Tarantino every day, especially with those glasses.

Or Dave Anthony.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Jeff, I have the most important question so far for you. How good are the chances of seeing a second season of the CBB TV show sometime in the future? I know it hasn't been canceled but there hasn't been a word at all since it ended. Give me hope.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

redz posted:

Jeff, I have the most important question so far for you. How good are the chances of seeing a second season of the CBB TV show sometime in the future? I know it hasn't been canceled but there hasn't been a word at all since it ended. Give me hope.

There was one point during the Best Of shows where it seemed like Scott almost slipped up and said something about it, but maybe I was just hearing what I wanted to hear.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Greggy posted:

There was one point during the Best Of shows where it seemed like Scott almost slipped up and said something about it, but maybe I was just hearing what I wanted to hear.

No I noticed that too. It sounded like he was about to proclaim something about the future of the TV show, then changed his mind and quickly moved on.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

tnimark posted:

No I noticed that too. It sounded like he was about to proclaim something about the future of the TV show, then changed his mind and quickly moved on.

We're hopeful but no word yet. Sorry.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I think Scott said on KPCS that he'd know this month.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Twittels posted:

New Analyze Phish podcast on the horizon... stay tuned...

:woop:

This is the best news!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

At this point I just want them to drop the Phish thing and just work on getting Scott hosed up on drugs. They need to both eat some beans and listen to Zomby's Where Were U in '92 album.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Not to steal Jeff's thunder, but I thought his post of 6 podcasting industry predictions for 2013 article on AllThingsD was super-interesting, especially the info about how Earwolf is doing financially.

http://allthingsd.com/20130104/six-podcasting-predictions-for-2013/

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

SKULE123 posted:

Not to steal Jeff's thunder, but I thought his post of 6 podcasting industry predictions for 2013 article on AllThingsD was super-interesting, especially the info about how Earwolf is doing financially.

http://allthingsd.com/20130104/six-podcasting-predictions-for-2013/

Look at this guy, thinks he's a journalist! It's a good article, agree with most of it. Really surprised by those ad numbers, especially since podcast advertisers seem to be a fairly small group. If ad revenue has gone up like that, then it must be effective for them. I hope the TV stuff ends up with a full fledged network just so Besser can have his own 30 minute show of him screaming at the Jets and Razorbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

quote:

Disney buying Earwolf (podcasting’s perceived value to established media companies won’t take that kind of leap in one year, and we aren’t selling anyway!)

I guess Legendary buying Nerdist doesn't count?