Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Laserface posted:

Im not sure why anyone is bothering with either, but then again I have nzbs.org access.

They're bothering because nzbs.org or any site may shut down tomorrow without much warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

The Gunslinger posted:

I didn't setup spotweb because newznab is difficult or something, it fills a different niche (user curated content).

Oh right, I see, so running them both does have advantages!

EDIT: Neither Sickbeard nor Couchpotato seem to want to use my spotweb or my newznab installations. Is there some specific way I have to enter the data? Looks like this currently:

Should I set up some virtual hosts or something?

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 6, 2013

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm getting newznab set up and it honestly doesn't seem that hard, I'm not sure why everyone was jumping on spotweb?

It's not because it's hard, it's because a full spotweb database can be created in a couple hours and uses a few GBs of space. Newznab takes days (weeks?) to backfill and needs dozens of GBs of space.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

EDIT: Neither Sickbeard nor Couchpotato seem to want to use my spotweb or my newznab installations. Is there some specific way I have to enter the data? Looks like this currently:

Should I set up some virtual hosts or something?
Did you setup the rewrite rules? https://github.com/spotweb/spotweb/wiki/Spotweb-als-Newznab-Provider

code:
RewriteEngine on  
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !api/  
RewriteRule api/?$ index.php?page=newznabapi [QSA,L]  
For anyone interested in a Tweaknews block account: if you signup for the Free 10 day trial, when your trial expires they will offer you a 250gb block account for 11 euro ($14.50 US).

Ronald Duck fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 6, 2013

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006
Of all the new indexers popping up I quite like this one (http://hddonut.com). Flashy interface and stuff. Its not free but it can still be used to see what's being uploaded.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Not very flashy. Extremely basic. Limited group indexing. Meh.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

I use Lingon to run stuff like that.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Ah, I thought I did but I missed something, that fixed it, thanks!

Swanky
Nov 23, 2004
Watch out! He has a book!
It's been a good run, but apparently someone told the mean kids down the block about our little clubhouse, and it's only a matter of time before they ruin it entirely.

It's not just me, right? I feel like the availability, in general, is mighty slim these days.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Swanky posted:

It's been a good run, but apparently someone told the mean kids down the block about our little clubhouse, and it's only a matter of time before they ruin it entirely.

It's not just me, right? I feel like the availability, in general, is mighty slim these days.

No, not really.

Can't say I have noticed any difference these last few months and availability has been fine.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TV is fine, but anything else viewing wise I'm finding it too hard to find complete listings so I ha e gone back to torrents.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Swanky posted:

Haven't noticed anything here either. I'm getting my normal emails in the morning about TV shows the previous nights, everything else seems kinda slow as far as general releases right now, but I'm not having any trouble downloading anything.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh god I just bought a year of astraweb. :negative: (And I've only just found out about all the takedowns).

ijyt fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 7, 2013

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Oh god I just bought a year of astraweb. :negative: (And I've only just found out about all the takedowns).

You will be fine if you signed up for some of the other providers before they went private.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
TV and movies have still been fine here, though TV's been slow recently due to the holidays (not the scene, but there just isn't much new TV coming out). The only place I've seen any major changes in actual content has been the two gorillas in the game console market. Over the last year or two those have gone from reliably being able to get everything to anything older than a week or so being entirely missing. It's a race now when that stuff is posted to get it before it's gone.

Really the only big loss recently has been the public indexers, and since it's not too hard to run your own I see that as more of an inconvenience than anything else.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Flaggy posted:

You will be fine if you signed up for some of the other providers before they went private.

If I were so lucky. My only real avenue of use at the moment is SB, and even then everything I'm interested in is on hiatus . Ah well, I saved $40, something will come along in a month or so no doubt.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

ijyt posted:

If I were so lucky. My only real avenue of use at the moment is SB, and even then everything I'm interested in is on hiatus . Ah well, I saved $40, something will come along in a month or so no doubt.

http://www.usenet-crawler.com/

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

ijyt posted:

If you get incompletes just buy some block accounts.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

I use supernews as my primary account and blocknews and astraweb as my block accounts.

What's the best highwinds or holland provider block account?

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

crm posted:

I use supernews as my primary account and blocknews and astraweb as my block accounts.

What's the best highwinds or holland provider block account?

Not sure if it's the "best" but I'm impressed with TweakNews. I just tried a NZB that failed due to DMCAs on Supernews, Astraweb, Newsdemon & Blocknews with a free TweakNews trial account and it downloaded perfectly :hfive:

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
I've had some NZBs fail in the last two weeks using Supernews with BlockNews backup. I've since added TweakNews and TheCubeNet (Highwinds) as additional backups which seems to have solved it.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010
So I forgot my nzb.su password and tried to reset it and the reset link just takes me back to the log in page? I mean my account still works in Sickbeard/Couch Potato because the API is still there but I can't use the site at all. Anyone had any experience with this?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

timmmmaaaah posted:

So I forgot my nzb.su password and tried to reset it and the reset link just takes me back to the log in page? I mean my account still works in Sickbeard/Couch Potato because the API is still there but I can't use the site at all. Anyone had any experience with this?

Did you disable JS? The reset link works.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

To use block accounts effectively do you simply tick the Backup Server check box when entering it into SAB?

What does the Optional check box do?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Raffles posted:

To use block accounts effectively do you simply tick the Backup Server check box when entering it into SAB?

What does the Optional check box do?

Yes. Optional means "this server might suck, it's okay to give up on a connection to it, if it seems to be taking forever to connect." Only really needed for lovely free servers.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I'm getting a super weird glitch in NewzNab, I have a bunch of groups indexed all the way back but now the Group list page is giving me this

Anyone have experience with this? If I view the categories/releases page there's tons of stuff but i can no longer edit groups.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Anyone tried to install newznab on a windows box that already has Spotweb going? I'm pretty ignorant on pretty much all things db related, but with spotweb running its mysql, I'm not sure how to get it running for newznab as well...

Also, is there a recommended guide for installing newznab on windows? I've been trying with whatever I can find online, but if there is a known good guide I'd like to use that.

EDIT: This is what happens after installing XAMPP on the machine I've got spotweb running from, its also complaining about SAB using port 8080.

Altimeter fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 8, 2013

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Mutar posted:

Anyone tried to install newznab on a windows box that already has Spotweb going? I'm pretty ignorant on pretty much all things db related, but with spotweb running its mysql, I'm not sure how to get it running for newznab as well...

Also, is there a recommended guide for installing newznab on windows? I've been trying with whatever I can find online, but if there is a known good guide I'd like to use that.

EDIT: This is what happens after installing XAMPP on the machine I've got spotweb running from, its also complaining about SAB using port 8080.

Are you installing them on the same XAMPP machine or are you trying to run two separate installations of XAMPP? Spotweb and Newznab should both be in the HTDOCS folder.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

I literally just ran the spotweb easy installer, I have no idea what all was included with that. Did I install XAMPP twice, once from SWE and then installed it directly?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Mutar posted:

I literally just ran the spotweb easy installer, I have no idea what all was included with that. Did I install XAMPP twice, once from SWE and then installed it directly?

I think that's probably what happened, I'd recommend uninstalling spotweb and downloading the normal version and dropping it into your XAMPP machine. It looks like they're conflicting with each other.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Well, dicking around a bit and I've made progress. I dumped the newznab folder into the htdocs from spotweb, and found a way to navigate to the newznab set up. However, now that I'm trying to give it the info for the sql server, but putting in the user/pass I believe I used for spotweb I just get "Unable to connect to database" and "Unable to select Database"... any ideas?
EDIT:
Ok, got past that one. now on to the next bit of trouble. I've gotten Newznab installed, activated one group (A.b.cd.image.linux) and hit the updatebinaries batch file. the cmd window flashes for a second then disappears. The same thing happens clicking the updatereleases batch. After doing that I expected to see some content browsing newznab, but I see nothing. I assume the updatebinaries and updaterelease scripts aren't doing what they're supposed to be, but what can I do to figure out what is causing it and how to address it?

EDIT 2 - Slow and steady... running the script from a command prompt, I see that I am getting this error

This error seems to say there should be something related to SSL on line 561 of the client.php file, but I don't see anything like that in the file.

If I am reading this right, newznab is trying to use my credentials to log into the usenet provider, but chocking on SSL, but it got through the self test during set up just fine. Is there a way to change the provider information after the quickstart guide? I want to go in and verify that I checked use SSL, but I can't even find where to go to look at the moment.

Altimeter fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 8, 2013

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Two steps forward...

After yet another reboot it appears that the updatebinaries script is working perfectly. It pulled from the groups just like it was supposed to, and I am thinking everything is good! But of course, I've run into a wall on the next step - updatereleases chokes trying to run the regexes. The error is below:

I've been able to google my way through most of this, but I'm not finding much at all about this... anyone have a clue what would cause this?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
It looks like it's working fine, you just haven't fetched enough binaries to find releases. Are you running NN+?

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

I should be, thats what I downloaded after paying for it. But I'm not sure how to actually tell if it is the + version or not.

Sounds like they're having some dns issues at newznab.com, but even after adding a hosts entry for it I'm still running into trouble, and may have actually made this worse. Now I get YET ANOTHER ERROR trying to run updatebinaries or updatereleases - Could not open input file - Update-releases.php

Spotweb went so easily, I was not expecting all this fun stuff...

Altimeter fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 8, 2013

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

It looks like it's working fine, you just haven't fetched enough binaries to find releases. Are you running NN+?

UpdateBinaries pulled down 50-100k postings when I run it, is that not enough for it to find any releases?

Altimeter fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 8, 2013

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
That could be a few minuts worth of posts on a larger group like a.b.boneless, when I update it pulls like 8,000,000 articles.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
I have had Sickbeard fail on 4 shows recently without giving any errors at all (sabtosickbeard.exe and manual post processing)
I'm going to rename the files now and try again but without any errors or log entries this is annoying

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Heads up, if you were an NZBSRUS user from back in the day, you may not be a VIP anymore. I've mysteriously lost the lifetime VIP status I bought back during the $9,99 sale a few years ago.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Heads up, if you were an NZBSRUS user from back in the day, you may not be a VIP anymore. I've mysteriously lost the lifetime VIP status I bought back during the $9,99 sale a few years ago.

Read the comments. An admin admitted they just canceled all the VIP to get them to pay again. As far as I can tell, given their bitcoin only policy and the current exchange rates for them, a lifetime membership would cost $100+ now. Not that I'd trust them with a nickel after this. Seriously, gently caress that site.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Read the comments. An admin admitted they just canceled all the VIP to get them to pay again. As far as I can tell, given their bitcoin only policy and the current exchange rates for them, a lifetime membership would cost $100+ now. Not that I'd trust them with a nickel after this. Seriously, gently caress that site.

Wow. If that's accurate, gently caress them indeed. I mean, if they'd asked for a bit more and offered payment options other than loving Buttcoin, I would've chipped in a couple of bucks. But pulling this poo poo? gently caress them forever.

EDIT:

I guess this is the comment you were talking about :

nzbsrus guy posted:

An operator called DUTCH on irc said that they cant afford for people to be Lifetime VIP anymore, that people who have been for years have got more than enough value out of it and that they should stop being greedy and just buy another VIP membership.

It's clear this was no accident, they purged "questionable" accounts going back 5+ years to make people pay again for VIP.

Basically gently caress them.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I'm kind of relieved that they have my stats on the left. I only used them for 77 downloads in several years, anyway. So keep my money and choke on it, thieving assclowns.