Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

jojoinnit posted:

Can't find where I read it but they take the pictures themselves and they generally use regular people.

I know that's what they did for the American Voices section, but I'm assuming most shots like this from the above Jessica Milly article are stock photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They definitely use their own American Voices pictures because they updated them not too long ago.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I know that's what they did for the American Voices section, but I'm assuming most shots like this from the above Jessica Milly article are stock photos.

Yup, looks about right: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-16661633-high-school-cute-schoolgirl-in-hallway.php

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is This The New Face Of Jazz Or Getty Images Stock Photo #LS008662?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
When I was in undergrad, a couple of the editors came to campus and did a presentation. At the end, everyone interested queued up and had our picture taken.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/my-songs-about-topsoil-say-what-i-cant,11188/ was published with a picture of me originally.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I completely forgot about this one. Just reading the title is always enough to send me in a crippling fit of silent giggles.

New York Marathon Winner Tests Positive For Performance-Enhancing Horse

quote:

"Meb's fellow competitors voiced their doubts about him immediately after the event," NYRR president Mary Wittenberg said. "In addition to his remarkable speed, unusual race-day height, and distinctive 'clip-clop' gait, Keflezighi's frequent nickering caused the other runners to speculate that he may have been using a horse in some fashion."

pastor of muppets has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Dec 30, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Trump Announces He's A Very Sad Man

Tell us something we didn't already know!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I went to an Onion writers Q&A a few months back and they take most of their pictures.

American voices were people around their old HQ in Wisconsin before they moved their operations to Chicago. Later on, when they updated their photos, they tracked down the original folks. One requested they stop using him or her because he or she was a teacher and the kids kept on not taking class seriously because of the association. They honored that request.

They showed some source photos they took before they were photoshopped. The RNC photo of Paul Ryan, Romney, and Santorum beating a gay marine was really four of their writers or interns, one in a borrowed uniform, with the new heads pasted on the others. They also mentioned that Joe Biden's body double is pretty much exactly like their Biden persona; he was a likable schmuck, a bit obnoxious, a sloppy guy who left his beer cans around, and a bit of womanizer.

I actually took a video of the whole Q&A. If I stop being lazy and actually upload it, I'll definitely share it here. If.

Echo Chamber has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Jan 2, 2013

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hahaha, yup.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/man-playing-trumpet-royalty-free-image/ls008662

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Echo Chamber posted:

I went to an Onion writers Q&A a few months back and they take most of their pictures.

American voices were people around their old HQ in Wisconsin before they moved their operations to Chicago. Later on, when they updated their photos, they tracked down the original folks. One requested they stop using him or her because he or she was a teacher and the kids kept on not taking class seriously because of the association. They honored that request.

They showed some source photos they took before they were photoshopped. The RNC photo of Paul Ryan, Romney, and Santorum beating a gay marine was really four of their writers or interns, one in a borrowed uniform, with the new heads pasted on the others. They also mentioned that Joe Biden's body double is pretty much exactly like their Biden persona; he was a likable schmuck, a bit obnoxious, a sloppy guy who left his beer cans around, and a bit of womanizer.

I actually took a video of the whole Q&A. If I stop being lazy and actually upload it, I'll definitely share it here. If.

that would be interesting. i heard the This American Life episode about a year ago, and other than the head 2 guys from the Wisconsin days its just a rotating staff of aspiring young comedy writers?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm not sure about that. The Q&A was with two guys, one was a more senior editor in his 30s and another was a writer maybe in his mid-to-late 20s. I got the impression the office was on the younger side (including interns so this doesn't mean anything), and that many former writers found jobs elsewhere. Like I said, when and if I'm not lazy, I'll upload the video. I've been sitting on it for a while, since mid-November.

I do regret not asking if any of their videos will get a DVD/Bluray release.

Echo Chamber has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Jan 2, 2013

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Foster Mom Doesn't Pick Least Favorites

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Scientists Debut Smug Robot That Can Run Half-Marathon, Brag About It

The news ticker is great as usual in this one, especially "Honda Working On More Realistic Bot That Gives Up On Going To Gym"

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
:stare:

Everyone At Office Planning Shooting Spree For Same Day

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JjNh7L5jiE

Short and sweet.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

New Al-Qaeda Recruit Sick Of Hearing Senior Terrorists Brag About 9/11 Attacks

Non-Onion Link:
Real Life Biden is becoming Onion Biden :stare:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Fugitive Doctor Accuses Devlin MacGregor Of Fraud

I'm not sure exactly what it is about this one that really gets me but I love it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Fugitive Doctor Accuses Devlin MacGregor Of Fraud

I'm not sure exactly what it is about this one that really gets me but I love it.

Looks like they imagining a movie plot played out in reality. Or just that episode of Lie to Me.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

Looks like they imagining a movie plot played out in reality. Or just that episode of Lie to Me.
It's the plot of the movie version of "The Fugitive".

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

I came in here to post this. The video is here.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

New Jersey Residents Avoid Rising Floodwater By Climbing To Top Of Chris Christie

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Ornithologist Forced To Participate In History Channel's 'What If Humans Suddenly Became Birds?' Program

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Just came here to post this. Hooooooly poo poo.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

I can't figure out of the Daily Caller is a parody website or not.

EDIT:

In honour of the tentative deal between the NHL and the NHLPA ( :canada: ) here's my favourite Onion Sports vid:

NHL Star Called Up To Big Leagues To Play For NFL

HackensackBackpack has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Jan 7, 2013

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

4 Copy Editors Killed In Ongoing AP Style, Chicago Manual Gang Violence
http://www.theonion.com/articles/4-copy-editors-killed-in-ongoing-ap-style-chicago,30806/

As someone who goes with the Chicago Manual of Style, it should read "Four Copy Editors...". There will be blood for this.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Boondock Saint posted:

4 Copy Editors Killed In Ongoing AP Style, Chicago Manual Gang Violence
http://www.theonion.com/articles/4-copy-editors-killed-in-ongoing-ap-style-chicago,30806/

As someone who goes with the Chicago Manual of Style, it should read "Four Copy Editors...". There will be blood for this.

In Headlines? I don't think so.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

That DICK! posted:

In Headlines? I don't think so.

Never mind, I'm an idiot who mixed up APA style with CMS. My brain is muddled.

Here is an Onion political cartoon to make up for it.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/final-checkpoint,30805/

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Boondock Saint posted:

Never mind, I'm an idiot who mixed up APA style with CMS. My brain is muddled.

"HEAVEN"

Beautiful.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Ariong posted:

"HEAVEN"

Beautiful.

I really like the (YELLOW RIBBON) with an arrow.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Boondock Saint posted:

As good as that one is, this one is miles better.

Is there a :kelley: emote? I could have sworn one came out of the politoons thread.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

voting third party posted:

I really like the (YELLOW RIBBON) with an arrow.

But where's lady liberty? :mad:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

mobby_6kl posted:

But where's lady liberty? :mad:

As long as Kelly's fighting for our freedoms Liberty isn't dead. :911:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

It took me a while to realize that "Taylor Swift now dating ________" has been an ongoing thing. Apparently fresh off her breakup with Suri Cruise, she's moved onto James Holmes.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ta...eadline:default

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Mentally Ill Man Not In Mood To Gun Down Strangers, But Glad To Know That Option There If Needed

Frustrated Wayne LaPierre Thought Murder Of 20 Children By Crazed Gunman Would Have Blown Over By Now

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
This is really well done.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Israel Vows To Use Veto Power If Chuck Hagel Confirmed As U.S. Secretary Of Defense

loving bring it, Israel.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Russell Crowe Praised For Stunning Portrayal Of Man Who Cannot Sing Or Act In 'Les Misérables'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Crowe Downplays Transformation Into Man With No Talent: "It Was Easy" :drat:

Also love the little,"Jason Bourne nominated as new Head of CIA" message that pops up along the bottom.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Career Spider Not Sure She's Ready For 3000 Children At This Point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain