Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Didn't Sandow and Del Rio get vignettes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I think the problem is their lack of consistency with them. They need to use them far more often. I still have no clue who the divas even are.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Himuro posted:

I think the problem is their lack of consistency with them. They need to use them far more often. I still have no clue who the divas even are.

Divas can be listed off like the 7 Dwarfs. Crazy, Gassy, Furry, Bossy, Funny, "Sexy" & Eve.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Re: intergender matches, there was a really good tag last year with Kana and Ikeda that's worth checking out. Hideously violent, though, and it's actually Ikeda who gets the worst of it.

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 13, 2013

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Supreme Allah posted:

Didn't Sandow and Del Rio get vignettes?

Del Rio did for sure, I remember those.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Halloween Jack posted:

So any move can be a finisher if you botch badly enough?

Ask Jake Roberts.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

So any move can be a finisher if you botch badly enough?
That's not the only reason... KO'ing Inoki did it for Hogan, but as far as puro goes, (on top of that) Stan Hansen's Western Lariat is the reason for LARIATOOOOOO~

There is the famous Ganso Bomb, admittedly... and apparently the piledriver was also a botched powerbomb?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Also, the backdrop used as a finish in Japan goes all the way back to Thesz beating Rikidozan with the move.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Has Kevin Steen ever faced CM Punk?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Chortles posted:

There is the famous Ganso Bomb, admittedly... and apparently the piledriver was also a botched powerbomb?

Kawada broke his arm in the match and couldn't get Misawa up for the Powerbomb.

edit: oh you mean the original piledriver

bobkatt013 posted:

Has Kevin Steen ever faced CM Punk?

Nope.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 14, 2013

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
People talk a lot about being a "Paul Heyman Guy," even if said guy didn't get started in ECW, but just had the best brought out in them by Heyman.

Would this make Big Show a Paul Heyman Guy? I don't think anyone else in the industry's booked the guy right except Heyman.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know, but it would make New Jack a state penitentiary guy.

Aerial Tollhouse
Feb 17, 2011

Chortles posted:

That's not the only reason... KO'ing Inoki did it for Hogan, but as far as puro goes, (on top of that) Stan Hansen's Western Lariat is the reason for LARIATOOOOOO~

Other way around. Lou Thesz botched a piledriver to create the powerbomb.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Devil Child posted:

People talk a lot about being a "Paul Heyman Guy," even if said guy didn't get started in ECW, but just had the best brought out in them by Heyman.

Would this make Big Show a Paul Heyman Guy? I don't think anyone else in the industry's booked the guy right except Heyman.

WWE.com did a thing about Show being a Heyman guy, and when Paul was on the writing team, you could certainly see that. Plus, he did manage him.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks, it's cool hearing that.

I've always been amazed at Paul Heyman's ability to book giants properly and get them over with even the hardcore mutants.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Did Shane Douglas actually work at a Target?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Aerial Tollhouse posted:

Other way around. Lou Thesz botched a piledriver to create the powerbomb.

:stare: How do you accidentally deadlift somebody too far?

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

oldskool posted:

:stare: How do you accidentally deadlift somebody too far?

The guy taking it could have pushed off a bit hard, no?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Devil Child posted:

Thanks, it's cool hearing that.

I've always been amazed at Paul Heyman's ability to book giants properly and get them over with even the hardcore mutants.

Heyman is known for his ability to book a wide variety of talent well according to their abilities. Too bad Stephanie isn't or they'd still be working together.

I'm really hoping that Heymans TV job transitions into a head booking job now that Stephanie is older with children and Triple Huh is off screen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

maniacripper posted:

and Triple Huh is off screen.

Not for long, since he'll be getting his win back from Brockle Snar at WrestleMania.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Yes

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

What are some good matches/wrestlers/feuds for someone who wants to get into Joshi? I've been getting into Shimmer as of late, and want to expand my horizons with women's wrestling. I'm not a huge fan of strong style, but it's not a deal breaker if theres a strong style match I need to watch.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

achillesforever6 posted:

He did, but I bet he was totally that manager that took 5 30 minute breaks plus a lunch.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NienNunb posted:

What are some good matches/wrestlers/feuds for someone who wants to get into Joshi? I've been getting into Shimmer as of late, and want to expand my horizons with women's wrestling. I'm not a huge fan of strong style, but it's not a deal breaker if theres a strong style match I need to watch.

Dump Mastumoto, Bull Nakano, Akira Hokuto and Combat Toyoda are recognized to be the classics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwhfp98GcfM

Just watch this god-drat match.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Glamorama26 posted:

He did, but I bet he was totally that manager that took 5 30 minute breaks plus a lunch.

Sadly he never completed his manager training.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

HulkaMatt posted:

Kawada broke his arm in the match and couldn't get Misawa up for the Powerbomb.

Has there been anything from anyone saying that that was actually a botch? The Kawada powerbomb-Misawa avoidance thing was a running theme through their matches, Misawa started getting out through ranas, Kawada picks him up for that one, knows the rana is coming, leans back so there's no momentum from trying for the powerbomb, then spikes him straight down, falling to his knees, in the middle of the ring. No attempt to swing him to the side, nothing even trying to avoid going straight down. You couldn't plan that spot any better, and Kawada now has a DANGEROUS move to go with Burning Hammer/Tiger Driver '91.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know how to get into Japanese wrestling. From reading about it, I think I would prefer strong style by a factor of 10.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know how to get into Japanese wrestling. From reading about it, I think I would prefer strong style by a factor of 10.

All you need to know is Shinsuke Nakamura is both the most charismatic man in all of wrestling, and is King of Strong Style.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Deathlove posted:

Has there been anything from anyone saying that that was actually a botch? The Kawada powerbomb-Misawa avoidance thing was a running theme through their matches, Misawa started getting out through ranas, Kawada picks him up for that one, knows the rana is coming, leans back so there's no momentum from trying for the powerbomb, then spikes him straight down, falling to his knees, in the middle of the ring. No attempt to swing him to the side, nothing even trying to avoid going straight down. You couldn't plan that spot any better, and Kawada now has a DANGEROUS move to go with Burning Hammer/Tiger Driver '91.

Kawada is the best.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Deathlove posted:

You couldn't plan that spot any better, and Kawada now has a DANGEROUS move to go with Burning Hammer/Tiger Driver '91.

He never finished a match with it, though.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Deathlove posted:

Has there been anything from anyone saying that that was actually a botch?

His arm was broken. Vacated the title almost immediately and was out for months. Story told has always been he couldn't get Misawa up.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

go to the New Japan Pro Wrestling thread to get a primer on some of the big names, then watch Wrestle Kingdom 7 from a couple weeks ago

in fact if you look for it there was a Wrestle Kingdom 7 thread where SNARF SNARF SNARF wrote a brief recap of all the storylines going into it, but New Japan storylines are usually as simple as "this guy wants to beat this guy" so it's not hard to follow

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Girlfriend has just sprung that she would love to go to Wrestlemania this year. We are in the UK. Anyone got any major dos/don'ts? I know the tickets will have to come through a reseller rather than a package, but am not sure what else I need to take into consideration.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Let's say Hulk Hogan decided not to leave the AWA and then had a career ending injury, would the Rock N Wrestling boom of the 80s happened? Who would have been the guy Vince got behind?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Girlfriend has just sprung that she would love to go to Wrestlemania this year. We are in the UK. Anyone got any major dos/don'ts? I know the tickets will have to come through a reseller rather than a package, but am not sure what else I need to take into consideration.

Overseas flights on short notice being really, really expensive?

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.

Having recently flown from Australia to visit the States, my wife and I attended the TLC PPV. I'd recommend not skimping on the tickets and get whatever is the best available against your budget. Watching wrestling live, I think it really helps to be as close to the ring as possible. We were in the nosebleeds at the Barclay Center and while I enjoyed the show, it really was only about $50 per ticket more to get seats that were significantly closer to the ring which would've been worth it.

Otherwise you should know that in America they don't have urinal troughs in the toilet. They're always separated into individual urinals so sometimes there can be a line for the mens room which seems a bit inefficient to me.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

budreck posted:

Let's say Hulk Hogan decided not to leave the AWA and then had a career ending injury, would the Rock N Wrestling boom of the 80s happened? Who would have been the guy Vince got behind?

I think it would have a little later and the star would have been Randy Savage. But it would have been shorter and fizzled much faster. That's my fantasy booking of the 80s anyway.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Do buy me a ticket and Do take me with you.

Other than that plan everything in advance. This'll be a damned expensive trip, even if it's just a weekend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think it would have a little later and the star would have been Randy Savage. But it would have been shorter and fizzled much faster. That's my fantasy booking of the 80s anyway.

Do you think somebody like Savage being the main guy would have lead to earlier pushes for the likes of Bret Hart and (later) Shawn Michaels? Or was Vince's obsession with bodybuilders always going to see the massive, over-muscled types override all?

Also this made me look up Bruno's height and he's "only" 5'10"? Wow, I never would have thought that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

NienNunb posted:

Probably the easiest match to watch as a first time thing is Manami Toyota vs. Aja Kong from the Dome show in '94. Not overly long, fast start and really flashy showcasing two of the best of all time in a really, really good match. Toyota in general is really good and you should probably check out her matches against Kyoko Inoue on 5/18/92 and 5/7/95, her hair vs. hair match against Toshiyo Yamada (fwiw Meltzer's said recently that's the best match he's ever seen live) as well as any of the three tags with Yamada against Mayumi Ozaki and Dynamite Kansai.

LCO are probably my all-time favorite tag team and if you like wild, violent, bloody brawls you'll love them. Just about any match from like their '97 reunion through 1999 that features some combination of "Etsuko Mita/Mima Shimoda vs. Tomoko Watanabe/_______" is great. The '97 cage match against Watanabe and Kaoru Ito, the various 2/3 falls matches against Watanbe and Kumiko Maekawa, a really awesome cage match (4/8/00 I think is the date?) against Watanabe and Maekawa, and another awesome six-person cage match Maekawa (after she turned heel on Watanabe) against Ito, Nanae Takahashi, and Momoe Nakanishi. The '99 match for the ARSION tag titles against Ayako Hamada and AKINO is really, really great too. And there's the 1/24/93 match with Akira Hokuto (LCO started off as a trio of Hokuto, Mita, and Shimoda) against Harley Saito, Eagle Sawai, and Miki Handa that sets up the Hokuto/Kandori match from Dream Slam I (another awesome match).

'80s AJW is amazing as well. The Crush Gals (Chigusa Nagayo and Lioness Asuka) were basically the top dogs at the time and you can get a bunch of great matches both in tags and singles (and against each other) from them. There's a couple of Jumping Bomb Angels tags that are really, really great (I love the 2/3 falls match 1986), an awesome tag against Jaguar Yokota and Devil Masami from 1984, Chigusa vs. Devil and Asuka vs. Jaguar both from the same show (which also has a great JBA vs. Dump Matsumoto/Bull Nakano match), the Chigusa vs. Dump hair vs. hair match from '85. There's also the trio of matches between Jaguar Yokota and La Galactica/Pantera Surena, a pretty good Yumi Ogura vs. Kazue Nagahori match, any Ogura vs. Bull match.

Really easy thing: a couple of youtube accounts that have lots of matches. Just sort of watch whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/user/doublemiz
http://www.youtube.com/user/nagashimark
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmoro37 (Italian dude with mostly late '70s/early '80s AJW)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ringstarfield
http://www.youtube.com/user/sugisho780 (mostly late '90s/2000 era AJW)
http://www.youtube.com/user/xkingx2009
http://www.youtube.com/user/purowookie (if you feel like watching random STARDOM which is one of the newest promotions and probably the biggest)