Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

St. Blaize posted:

Well it is not a dedicated newznab box, I have sabnzbd and couch potato currently running as well and plan to use it as a file server. I am not sure what kind of issues I will run into if any while running all of this together. Does the newznab_screen_local.sh script use a lot of resources run default?

Edit:

Looks like I can use newznab_ubuntu.sh as an init script and change the interval to be more than every 10 minutes. Sound right? Avoid Cron and all that as well as using a script written for it.

Yeah, honestly the highest load I saw on my box ever was when I was backfilling with that giant nzb dump they give to donators.. I had to allocate more memory to the processes and everything.

I find if I keep the rotation to every 10 minutes or so it takes small bites of headers and the workload doesn't slow anything else down.

The only time you *may* see any system slowdown with the things you're running is during a par repair with SAB, every other time everything should run great together. Linux is made for multitasking crap like that so it tends to make things play pretty nice.

A bonus will be that your NN server will usually stay pretty current with posts as well, instead of running the crapshoot of takedowns and such when your sickbeard is trying to update your linux ISO's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

originalnickname posted:

Yeah, honestly the highest load I saw on my box ever was when I was backfilling with that giant nzb dump they give to donators.. I had to allocate more memory to the processes and everything.

Thanks for the info. Where can I find this? I donated

St. Blaize fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 15, 2013

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

I actually feel like it's not a huge deal to talk about it in here.

In that case I, too, would be interested. Can't help with coding really, but I can help with a donation or two!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

PM me if you're interested, so we can sort of gauge how many users we might wind up with.
Pretty sure the PM inbox reaches its capacity at only 20 or so messages unless they changed that limit with the forums software revamp.

Since I posted anyway... I'm in for $10 on the goon server. ...$15 if you let users select their layout and color style sheets separately (It was so cool and easy to show a preview for this when I coded it once).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Hogburto posted:

Pretty sure the PM inbox reaches its capacity at only 20 or so messages unless they changed that limit with the forums software revamp.

It's been at least 400 for many many years. Maybe yours is just broken.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a problem with CouchPotato just hanging and being unresponsive? I've had to manually kill it a few times. Tried it with a fresh config and database, same thing. It's getting to be loving annoying and even with debugging turned on the logfiles don't turn up anything useful to help troubleshoot it. I've tried running it from source, using the Windows binary, etc.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone have a problem with CouchPotato just hanging and being unresponsive? I've had to manually kill it a few times. Tried it with a fresh config and database, same thing. It's getting to be loving annoying and even with debugging turned on the logfiles don't turn up anything useful to help troubleshoot it. I've tried running it from source, using the Windows binary, etc.

I've only had this issue when I was using the manage function. As best as I can tell, it's completely pointless anyway, so just turn it off. Solved my problems at least.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

monkeybounce posted:

I've only had this issue when I was using the manage function. As best as I can tell, it's completely pointless anyway, so just turn it off. Solved my problems at least.

I don't have that turned on. CP won't log whatever the hell is causing it to bomb out and I tested the hardware extensively so it must be CP. Their forums and git sections aren't very helpful unfortunately.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I run with UAC enabled and it's pretty annoying realising that Sickbeard hadn't launched because it requires Admin rights. Is there any way to run SB at startup without disabling UAC?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ijyt posted:

I run with UAC enabled and it's pretty annoying realising that Sickbeard hadn't launched because it requires Admin rights. Is there any way to run SB at startup without disabling UAC?

I think if you install it somewhere other than program files it won't require admin?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Squibbles posted:

I think if you install it somewhere other than program files it won't require admin?

Looks like I've been over-complicating things again, cheers!

e: v I'll keep that in mind too, thanks.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 15, 2013

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
You could also give your user account explicit rights to the sickbeard directory in program files.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

My Astra account got dropped since I was using that payment method they dropped, so I'm recosidering who I do my monthly service through. I've got a block account on Readnews through BlockNews, and some blocks on Tweaknews. Should I go with Supernews's (Giganews) $10/mo deal, UsenetServer's (Highwinds) $10/mo deal, or just go back to Astra's $11/mo deal

Right now I'm leaning towards Supernews, but if anyone who has checked out multiple of them thinks that Astra or UsenetServer is definitively better, I'd like to know.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

For people having issues with CP, I have switched from using it to just using dognzb Movies watchlist and having it check my IMDB wishlist.

The .nfo files CP would create never quite worked for me, and since xbmc scraping is fine now I just let xbmc do all the scraping it needs to. Renaming can be done with SAB but I don't rename movies any more.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

St. Blaize posted:

I am running a Ubuntu 12.04 headless server. Do you have any further info on modifying newznab_screen_local.sh?

This is more or less what mine looks like...

http://pastebin.com/dx5hKMHR

I trigger it a couple of times a day, when I'm less likely to notice the effects of the CPU peaking or my broadband getting blasted. I can definitely see the value in running the default script in a loop if you're indexing some of the busier groups (alt.binaries.multimedia, alt.binaries.movies, or some of the MP3 groups, for example), but I narrowed my selection down to a handful of x264 and HD groups which don't get enough posts to really make constant refreshing necessary. I probably index in the region of 2.5-3m headers a day in total.

I dump the output of the update process into a date-coded textfile so that I can go back and check over it, should I suspect there's any issues. My scheduled command looks like this...

code:
/path/to/newznab/misc/update_scripts/nix_scripts/newznab_screen_local.sh | tee "/home/moron/Desktop/newznab_logs/nab $(date +\%Y\%m\%d-\%k\%M).txt"; exit 0

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

For people having issues with CP, I have switched from using it to just using dognzb Movies watchlist and having it check my IMDB wishlist.

The .nfo files CP would create never quite worked for me, and since xbmc scraping is fine now I just let xbmc do all the scraping it needs to. Renaming can be done with SAB but I don't rename movies any more.

I don't want to be dependent on a single site again though but I appreciate the suggestion. The NFO files it's created have been fine for me so far and the renaming is fine (if unnecessary, XBMC scrapes just fine regardless 99.9% of the time). I really need to find a version of CP that works again and never upgrade it unless forced :(

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I felt the same way but if it means I don't have to deal with the wonkiness of CP then whatever.

Also throwing my hat into the will-donate-for-goonzb ring.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bloodynose posted:

My Astra account got dropped since I was using that payment method they dropped, so I'm recosidering who I do my monthly service through. I've got a block account on Readnews through BlockNews, and some blocks on Tweaknews. Should I go with Supernews's (Giganews) $10/mo deal, UsenetServer's (Highwinds) $10/mo deal, or just go back to Astra's $11/mo deal

Right now I'm leaning towards Supernews, but if anyone who has checked out multiple of them thinks that Astra or UsenetServer is definitively better, I'd like to know.

UsenetServer, AstraWeb and SuperNews have $95, $96 and $99 per-year deals respectively. Going with a month-to-month payment plan seems like a waste of money.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Is there any trick to getting the non-plus newznab script to stop sucking? Sounds like it's just missing some clever regexps. Is there a collection of them somewhere? I have it running no problem, but I'm not getting the quality of results I was hoping for.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

The_Franz posted:

UsenetServer, AstraWeb and SuperNews have $95, $96 and $99 per-year deals respectively. Going with a month-to-month payment plan seems like a waste of money.

Don't forget Frugalusenet for $50/yr. If you don't need more than 300 days of retention, or have block plan backups, it can save a chunk of money as well.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

The_Franz posted:

Unless one of those services becomes unusably poo poo in the near future.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Things are going good with the goonzb project. We're shy 1 hard drive and an HBA, and then it will be installed at the data center. When we first get this thing online it's going to be your standard NN+ setup, so a lot like nzbs.org.. But that isn't the end of development. We've had a few folks step up willing to work on the site/php stuff that way subscribers are getting something more than just another indexer that happens to be goon friendly.

Aside from all the extra nice features and everything, the real big feature we'd like to see happen is an active community with sane comments and ratings, etc. I think that will be one of, if not the best, features.

I've recieved around 50 messages saying various people were interested, I'm hoping that's about 25%-50% of the people that would like to subscribe, because in order to make this a good value-added service at a good price, we need around 100-150 users to at least cover costs for the first year (Which include the hardware) at low prices to the end user. If anyone has good suggestions on how to handle the paypal / payment side of things we'd love to hear it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I haven't been in a place to PM you yet, but I'm in as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Do you have a line on the hardware? I would bet a few of us IT guys have old HBA's or HDD's laying around.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

I've recieved around 50 messages saying various people were interested, I'm hoping that's about 25%-50% of the people that would like to subscribe, because in order to make this a good value-added service at a good price, we need around 100-150 users to at least cover costs for the first year (Which include the hardware) at low prices to the end user. If anyone has good suggestions on how to handle the paypal / payment side of things we'd love to hear it.

I wouldn't let paypal know what its for :suicide: probably best to just pm the people who responded with an email address to send a paypal payment to. Will you be importing the nzb export that's floating around or backfilling? Are you planning on allowing users to request groups to be added?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

Does iMDB's Watchlist work now then? I've found it unreliable as hell, and it's why I stopped using it to feed CP. It definitely wasn't CP at fault - every time I used an RSS reader on the watchlist link, it'd either show 0 or 1 movie at most. iMDB seemed to acknowledge it's broken as hell but never seemed to do anything about it.

CP is playing up for me, keeps thinking it's snatched NZBs when it hasn't, will have a tinker on the weekend. Hopefully nothing major.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I just attempted to download several things, and I got WAIT x sec / Trying to fetch NZB from http://imgur.com(numbers)

It also tried to download from almost every other website I had open in tabs. What on earth?

Understandably, there were error logs of empty nzb files.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I think nzbdStatus has a string or regex that is intended to catch and route NZBs to SABnzbd from a variety of sites without explicitly listing each one.
Try to reproduce the error with nzbdStatus disabled.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 16, 2013

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Delta-Wye posted:

Is there any trick to getting the non-plus newznab script to stop sucking? Sounds like it's just missing some clever regexps. Is there a collection of them somewhere? I have it running no problem, but I'm not getting the quality of results I was hoping for.

Most people would be using the regular expressions that come from newznab plus. I doubt they would be allowed to release them?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The pHo posted:

Does iMDB's Watchlist work now then?
I just started using it a couple months ago and it seems fine. Able to add/remove from the web and my phone. Cognzb checks the list every 4 hours and its picked up everything so far.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Do most of these new NewzNab sites suck real bad because they are still indexing things or is it because the people running them are terrible? I have like 8 I added to my couchpotato settings and I don't get much at all. Of course I'm not getting much from my own local NewzNab because of both reasons so I can't judge too much.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

EC posted:

I haven't been in a place to PM you yet, but I'm in as well.

Me too - thanks!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

St. Blaize posted:

Do most of these new NewzNab sites suck real bad because they are still indexing things or is it because the people running them are terrible? I have like 8 I added to my couchpotato settings and I don't get much at all. Of course I'm not getting much from my own local NewzNab because of both reasons so I can't judge too much.

Depends on which sites. Dognzb and nzbs.org are awesome, I get like 90% of my stuff between those 2 and the SB Index. The rest comes from spotweb which I run on my NAS, kept getting unreliable results from other sites, dumb poo poo like their filters let spam through and emptied out my CP queue.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
If you can, offer payment methods aside from paypal because they're douche bags. I'd like to suggest Amazon Simple Payments. The biggest perk is Amazon Payments works like a standard bank account in that it actually is one as opposed to paypal that only pretends to be one (they're actually a broker).

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

If anyone has good suggestions on how to handle the paypal / payment side of things we'd love to hear it.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
EDIT: Don't mind me. Word of advice: Don't let your root partition fill up.

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 16, 2013

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I can donate a few bucks to the GoonNZB project and I'm also a UI/UX designer if you need some of that.

Also either coucpotato or headphones (I'm thinking CP) has been throwing weird harddisk not found errors lately so I'm going to try turning off the manage function and see where that goes.

joozy
Jan 15, 2004
count me in for some donations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Things are going good with the goonzb project. We're shy 1 hard drive and an HBA, and then it will be installed at the data center. When we first get this thing online it's going to be your standard NN+ setup, so a lot like nzbs.org.. But that isn't the end of development. We've had a few folks step up willing to work on the site/php stuff that way subscribers are getting something more than just another indexer that happens to be goon friendly.

Aside from all the extra nice features and everything, the real big feature we'd like to see happen is an active community with sane comments and ratings, etc. I think that will be one of, if not the best, features.

PM sent. Lemme know if you didn't receive it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I have a single nzb.su invite available. First person to PM me their email address gets it.

EDIT: GONE.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRBPR
Jul 20, 2001

Mister Chief posted:

I have a single nzb.su invite available. First person to PM me their email address gets it.

This post got me to look and I also have one available. PM and I'll send it out.

Gone!

BRBPR fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 17, 2013