Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Have most servers not updated to the new build yet? My browser is a ghost town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yeah I have some bug where in explore mode it says Beta 232, and I can only see 40 servers and when I try to connect it's Client and Server Differ.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Having a vote to concede is a good start but another feature I'd like to see is having the game end once one team holds 4 tech points. Maybe give it like a 2 minute timer so the losers have a chance at a last-ditch assault but that should be it. People are just really bad at launching killing blows sometimes, especially if marines hole up in a single room with exos.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Mr. Peepers posted:

Having a vote to concede is a good start but another feature I'd like to see is having the game end once one team holds 4 tech points. Maybe give it like a 2 minute timer so the losers have a chance at a last-ditch assault but that should be it. People are just really bad at launching killing blows sometimes, especially if marines hole up in a single room with exos.

That's actually a good idea, rather than setting it at 4 tech points (which can be map specific sometimes). Set it to auto win if one team controls only 1 tech point, and the other team controls all the other tech points on the map. This condition would end so many games that just dragged on (usually because marines turtled in their one base)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mr. Peepers posted:

This is a bad idea in so many ways. It'll just be a race to see who can hold the 4 tech points first without regards to other strategies. It would kill any chance of a comeback win ever, which DO happen believe it or not.

E:

Drawde posted:

Yeah, why couldn't they just vote to surrender once it gets to that point anyways?

Pretty much this.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 17, 2013

Drawde
Sep 1, 2006
Yeah, why couldn't they just vote to surrender once it gets to that point anyways?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is a bad idea in so many ways. It'll just be a race to see who can hold the 4 tech points first without regards to other strategies. It would kill any chance of a comeback win ever, which DO happen believe it or not.

If you can hold 4 tech points for some number or minutes (say 2-5) then you are going to win, full stop. I'm not up on competitive play but if there are winning strategies that don't involve stopping the other team from holding literally every tech point on the map but one I'd genuinely like to know.

Drawde posted:

I've had multiple people complain loudly and at great length because I recycled our base when we were down to a single room and harvester with their whole team knocking on our door. People are irrationally attached to dragging out losing situations as long as possible.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Happens more frequently in this game than any other I've played.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I don't understand why so many people are interested in making the game end faster? (Not this thread, so much but the playerbase I've been involved with) The only time it's ever frustrating is when everyone tries to be 'the commander' and acts like 'well if we had of done this WE WOULD HAVE ONE' (spelling intentional).

Since the new build, I've had a few games which have ended for absolutely no reason, the teams were even, each side had hives or comm chairs, no one voted to surrender.. With such a small map rotation it can be so annoying to cycle through them so fast. I'm of the opinion that the next build needs a proper tutorial for each side which explains what everything does, that way maybe everyone can get the most out of each round they play adding longevity to the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr. Peepers posted:

I've seen a couple of games where Aliens took and held 4 tech points but couldn't quite break down the door of the Marines, and then the Marines managed to scavenge enough res to do a sneak-PG drop and assault on an unguarded hive.

TheMostFrench posted:

I don't understand why so many people are interested in making the game end faster? (Not this thread, so much but the playerbase I've been involved with)
Despite what I said above, there are games where you've lost, you know you've lost, and you know there's no way you're going to come back... but the game is going to last at least another 10 minutes. In those situations sometimes you really just want to wrap the game up and start a new one, where there's actually a goal to strive for other than seeing how long you can delay the inevitable. I mean, sometimes it's fun to play "Holding off the horde" as Marines but I haven't really been feeling it for quite a few patches now for some reason.

e: You know what could be fun? A "gently caress you" button. In the situation you described above, rather than an "auto lose" a big red button appears on the command chair. Press it, and the Aliens have five minutes to take out the chair. Otherwise the compound self-destructs and everybody loses.

e2: Aliens can do the same, Xenociding the last hive and all their structures, filling the complex with spores and vaporised bile.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 17, 2013

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Knife the Hippo is a goon run server like NS2Goons, right? I know NS2Goons seems to be constantly empty. My humble suggestion is to rename it Knife the Hippo 2 with the original server owner's permission and have the original server point to Knife the Hippo in the MOTD.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is it a bug that when I have celerity and am chilling in a vent or on the ceiling not moving, the loud woosh noise starts? I've only specifically noticed this since the patch, but it may well have been there before.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Xenoborg posted:

Is it a bug that when I have celerity and am chilling in a vent or on the ceiling not moving, the loud woosh noise starts? I've only specifically noticed this since the patch, but it may well have been there before.

It's been there since at least launch, and yes it's totally 100% super loving annoying. I really wish they would fix that.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

It's the blood rushing to your skulk head from the excitement of the moment.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Mr. Peepers posted:

If you can hold 4 tech points for some number or minutes (say 2-5) then you are going to win, full stop. I'm not up on competitive play but if there are winning strategies that don't involve stopping the other team from holding literally every tech point on the map but one I'd genuinely like to know.

I've had multiple people complain loudly and at great length because I recycled our base when we were down to a single room and harvester with their whole team knocking on our door. People are irrationally attached to dragging out losing situations as long as possible.

Hey. Sometimes you're just in a mood to fight to the last man. Especially if it's a game that's been good and had alot of back and forth on both sides. I know sometimes you just feel defeated, but other times (especially on the Goon servers where games actually are really fun more often than not) you want to go out with a :black101:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ARghhh when people learn that Exos aren't nearly as good as heavy armor in NS... Can't see around from that huge rear end metal pile, can't build or weld or use PG's, it's fragile as hell and very, very expensive. They just go soloing and die. Lost 4 exos just like that earlier in a game when they all dispersed around the map :I

Edit: I also realized that this is a problem when mariens, like aliens, could now in NS2 buy their own stuff. Earlier every item was a gift from god, and the commander had total control over the game. He'd drop a truckload of loot and say "go there, build a PG and siege the crap out of the hive". Instead now in NS2 everyone just wanders around wasting their res to wrong gear at a inappropriate time, and commander rarely bothers giving orders. I recall in NS there was always some kind of "go there" or "build stuff" icon floating around in marine's hud.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 17, 2013

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

I would prefer the Exodia method to solving stalemates: Unlocked from protolab / 3rd hive, you must buy the 5 fragments of Exodia at 200 tres each to summon the forbidden one and destroy your enemy's bases instantly.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
That would take a additional 11 minutes at 9 Harvesters/Extractors.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Bloodmobile posted:

Finally, no more framerate-destroying cyst spam.
Are there any res nodes where it's possible to get "stuck" unable to place a cyst where you need one now? I have bad memories of cysting near the southern central resnode but having the creep not actually go on top of the nozzle due to a little ledge there, and this change worries me that I might not be actually able to place a cyst on top of the ledge after I make that mistake.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Splicer posted:

Despite what I said above, there are games where you've lost, you know you've lost, and you know there's no way you're going to come back... but the game is going to last at least another 10 minutes. In those situations sometimes you really just want to wrap the game up and start a new one, where there's actually a goal to strive for other than seeing how long you can delay the inevitable. I mean, sometimes it's fun to play "Holding off the horde" as Marines but I haven't really been feeling it for quite a few patches now for some reason.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Hey. Sometimes you're just in a mood to fight to the last man. Especially if it's a game that's been good and had alot of back and forth on both sides. I know sometimes you just feel defeated, but other times (especially on the Goon servers where games actually are really fun more often than not) you want to go out with a :black101:

Mr. Peepers posted:

These are all excellent possibilities and are exactly why the team should vote on the issue.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Torpor posted:

Knife the Hippo is a goon run server like NS2Goons, right?

I "run" Knife the Hippo like an alcoholic absentee father "raises" his children.

E: Read the poo poo that pops up when you join Knife the Hippo. The server has surrender votes and map votes and random team votes. The idlekick is draconian on purpose, the purpose being that I am a power tripping assclown. In the NS2Goon thread in PGS Kerpal has also laid out a way where you can kick pubbies to make room for yourself if Knife is full.

E2: And Knife gets updated pretty quickly when new builds are released. It is running the newest 237 as of this post.

Lucky Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 17, 2013

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

These are all excellent possibilities and are exactly why the team should vote on the issue.

I agree, voting is sufficient. It works way better than F4ing and I've already seen quite a few concedes made with it. If your team doesn't want to give up, but you do, then you should probably hop to another server.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I think I'd prefer if one side can hold onto multiple tech points for a long while being another way to end a match. I'm not a fan of surrenders or the 4 man difference ends to a game. They feel much more forced than losing because you refused/could not push out of your base.

Thats the problem with these team games with RTS elements is they generally don't end gracefully. There usually reaches a point where the snowball is rolling and its clear one side has a vast advantage over the other. Yet it takes an extra +10-15 minutes actually settle the game.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Drakes posted:

I think I'd prefer if one side can hold onto multiple tech points for a long while being another way to end a match. I'm not a fan of surrenders or the 4 man difference ends to a game. They feel much more forced than losing because you refused/could not push out of your base.

Whatever side has the tech points just needs to roll over the other team and end the game. We shouldn't reward a team because they can't finish off the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Whatever side has the tech points just needs to roll over the other team and end the game. We shouldn't reward a team because they can't finish off the game.
I'm more and more liking the idea of some kind of "You should be able to wrap this up soon. So wrap it up or nobody wins" mechanic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's not always that simple though, sometimes you gotta wait for the pres so dudes can set up the five onos rush to seal the deal or whatever. It really depends on how the game got to that point.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

There can always be other minor factors that prevent a game from ending when one side has a massive lead. It could be poor teamwork, cowardly lowrisk players, or plain'ol kill farming. It sort of becomes bullying at a point when one side can poo poo out as many onos/exos as they desire while the other faction is tucked into their base unable to have any chance of pushing out. The game could still drag on because of some dumb stubbornness from the defending team.

But yeah a gently caress you bomb a losing team could pull out would be pretty amusing :v:.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Edit: ^^^ Also, sometimes if a match has gone on for a while, you might have a bunch of new people joining the winning side. Or there was one or two players carrying the side who disconnected/com disconnected. There are a lot of reason why one side can't always seal the deal.

Splicer posted:

I'm more and more liking the idea of some kind of "You should be able to wrap this up soon. So wrap it up or nobody wins" mechanic.

I am liking that more and more as well, but I don't know how it could be properly implemented.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 17, 2013

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
Somebody get on making a mod for it. We gotta see it in action.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
As alien comm, I try and end games quicker by generally saving tres for onos eggs and getting out of the chair.

I used to spam whips/crags/bonewalls/everything possible at end-end-end game since money feels unlimited, buuut throwing crap everywhere doesn't actually help end things and a few buildings can add up to an onos egg cost pretty quickly. Now I put 3x crags, 1 whip, 1 shift, 1 shade, and a drifter or two just outside whichever side of the base my aliens are (preferably the side with the power node). A shade goes at all hives to cover upgrades and a crag or two as minimal as possible. All my money after that goes to spawn eggs at the forward shift and turning them to onos eggs. Making shift eggs into onos eggs will force that skulk with 100 pres to spawn in as one when he dies. Generally all it takes in an up to 16p server is 2 onos and a gorge charging power, a lerk using umbra, and a drifter to enzyme for good measure. I jump out of the chair too when saving up tres for eggs to be saving up pres, and sometimes one more gorge bombing power is all it takes. I also try and leave one side of the marine base open. If 3 people run out it's 3 less in their base, and unless your whole team's Ambien just kicked in there's no way those 3 are gonna kill your hives before you take their chair.
Edit: Remember, for the cost of xenocide/vortex you can almost afford another onos instead of spells no one uses.

As alien not-comm I just try and fill whatever onos/umbra/bile slot I can afford and other teammates aren't covering.

On marine side I run around with dropped weapons and die to clog up the IPs, try and convince the team to recycle/surrender, and weep in the corner :smith:.

^^^Eff yeah on jesus-why-is-the-round-still-going map exploders!

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 17, 2013

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
In NS1 (an earlier version, not the last few versions) games seemed to last ages. I vividly remember a 3 hour game which was deadlocked on both sides, and that's still my crowning memory of NS1.

NS2, it seems like if you have a remotely long game, there's a tipping point that is reached then it's a landslide on either marines or aliens. I like long stalematey games, and to be fair i've not played *that* many NS2 games fully, but most have been fairly short. As soon as I see the EXOs I know it's time to pack up. I suppose it's down to the skill of the players right, rather than the actual game? But surely the longer games on NS1 weren't just a figment of imagination?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

simosimo posted:

In NS1 (an earlier version, not the last few versions) games seemed to last ages. I vividly remember a 3 hour game which was deadlocked on both sides, and that's still my crowning memory of NS1.

NS2, it seems like if you have a remotely long game, there's a tipping point that is reached then it's a landslide on either marines or aliens. I like long stalematey games, and to be fair i've not played *that* many NS2 games fully, but most have been fairly short. As soon as I see the EXOs I know it's time to pack up. I suppose it's down to the skill of the players right, rather than the actual game? But surely the longer games on NS1 weren't just a figment of imagination?

Long games aren't that unusual; I think I usually have a forty-minute one for like every 2 hours of playtime, but they do rarely seem to exceed that. And usually like 10 of those forty minutes are with one team completely shut in just refusing to die, rather than a stalemate that they can make a comeback from.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

simosimo posted:

NS1 games could easily be 2+ hour events, maps were much larger, teching up seemed to take a little bit longer and both sides were balanced so there was always a push and pull on the front lines.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

simosimo posted:

As soon as I see the EXOs I know it's time to pack up. I suppose it's down to the skill of the players right, rather than the actual game? But surely the longer games on NS1 weren't just a figment of imagination?

You should definitely NOT give up when you see exos. Onos are generally superior to exos since they can take one down solo and are way more mobile/survivable. I've seen quite a few games with 2-3 exos and the marine team push a hive and the alien team ignores them and hits the marine base instead (this is the best strat for dealing with exo trains imo) then mops up and wins the game. Marines can build up at the hive location they took, but aliens come out better on base trades.

MikoLovesYou
Nov 20, 2003

I came here tonight with my...self. Oh God.

Stele007 posted:

You should definitely NOT give up when you see exos. Onos are generally superior to exos since they can take one down solo and are way more mobile/survivable. I've seen quite a few games with 2-3 exos and the marine team push a hive and the alien team ignores them and hits the marine base instead (this is the best strat for dealing with exo trains imo) then mops up and wins the game. Marines can build up at the hive location they took, but aliens come out better on base trades.

Everything I've read has agreed that on base trades, marines usually come out ahead (unless it's their main of course - but in that case, same goes for alien). They can get everything up and running faster and loss of a base doesn't necessarily mean loss of active skills like it does for alien. The biggest mistake I see marine comms making (myself included) is beaconing during a base push with exos - saves the base about 50% of the time but kills the exos about 100% of the time.

Speaking of which, I'm really disillusioned with exos lately. Mostly because people just don't know how to use them, and don't realize that if you are alone for more than 5 seconds and spotted by an alien, you ARE going to die. They're just not as tanky as they should be - I definitely think they deserve a buff in the armor department. A 1v1 exo vs. onos fight should be won by the onos, but not by the large margin it is currently.

EDIT: also, the counter to exos are lerks, not onos. An onos certainly helps, but a lerk spiking an exo for 10 seconds with no healing will take it out. And I find exos are never looking for lerks.

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

simosimo posted:

Ultra-long games were indeed common in early versions of NS1. It was a combination of players being new and the balance being way off. Remember when Lerk Umbra used to stop 85% of all bullets and the Fade had Bile Bomb? They definitely wanted to shorten game length as NS1 developed. Now that they've had 10+ years of experience with developing and balancing NS1, they can start off on the right foot with NS2.

One of the biggest problems with NS1 was that it was very turtle-friendly, since you could build as many turrets as you wanted and any gorge could build gobs of offense chambers if they had the res for it. Notice how defensive structures have been severely weakened: Turrets are no longer omnidirectional, limited to 3 per room, and sentry batteries are much easier to destroy compared to turret factories in NS1. In addition, structures cannot be electrified. On the alien side, the Gorge Hydra is much less effective than the Offense Chambers from NS1 and is limited to 3 per Gorge. Also, they don't have the freedom to build their own Crags/Shifts/Shades anymore - the commander needs to do it for them. Less turtling = shorter games.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just had a 50 minute game on Docking. We were on Aliens and came back

gently caress the haters :feelsgood:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Here's about an hour's game where we didn't do much turtling: http://www.twitch.tv/jediphreak/b/357792553

Basically the teams danced around Lava Falls capturing bases. Marines took Pipeworks and killed hives on Containment and Turbine, but lost Flow Control. So basically Marines had 3 tech spots while aliens only two, but aliens won anyways.

I think the main reason for that was because marine comm's APM and reaction time was atrocious. I don't know what he did, probably used a mouse for everything, since maybe he's never heard of hotkeys? He was glacial at placing buildings, it practically took him forever to plant new rt's and secure hives. Thanks to that gigantic time wasting we eventually lost the war of attrition because we ran out of pres and aliens kept on churning onoses.

When poo poo hit the fan (a couple of onos a base) he was way, way too slow to beacon and the game finally ended when aliens rushed pipeworks for the last time and there was no beacon. After losing Flow Control I remember marine comm sitting on like 200res at some point and not using it to replace lost labs ASAP, securing Turbine ASAP and planting new rt's to Lava Falls etc. ASAP.

Otherwise he was a great comm and the game was very enjoyable, but I felt somewhat frustrated because marines had a fair chance to win.

Edit: Anyways, I think comms should really use ARCs a lot more. I recall in NS1 we sieged everything, and since sieges are now mobile a push should be always accompanied by a few ARCs. They really sweep the floors clean off alien buildings, unlike GL's etc. which are hard to operate on tight corners full of crap.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 17, 2013

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just had a 50 minute game on Docking. We were on Aliens and came back

gently caress the haters :feelsgood:

I never said anything about not liking long games. At all. What I'm talking about is situations where one team has decisively lost but for whatever reason the winning team can't or won't end the game. If you're on minute 45 and locker rooms just changed hands for the fifth time then go hog wild, that sounds like a great game. That's not what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
All I see when people talk about ways to end a game that a team can't finish are ways to remove my chance to start a comeback. I don't like where this discussion is going one bit.

• Locked thread