Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

Wasn't this the game that had an optional (probably tongue in cheek) rule to account for Italians needing increased water supplies for boiling pasta?
Yes. Fuel supplies for individual trucks also had to be tracked and rationed out by the jerry-can.

The funny thing is, some of the people at Boardgamegeek made a serious attempt at playing a game, only to find that airpower is hilariously overpowered and breaks the game's balance (yet another allusion to Hearts of Iron :rimshot:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So apparently in Steppe Wolfe Kosovo exports stones as their main trade good, and that's close enough to clay for me to get suspicious. Maybe Atrociv was trying to make a very, very subtle "Serbian clay" pun.

Also, the idea of an economy based on selling stones is profoundly depressing and I'm glad it's not in vanilla.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

So basically this, the PC game.

I love how this

is one of the images they use to sell it. Boy, for the low price of $400 this could be me!!!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I love how this

is one of the images they use to sell it. Boy, for the low price of $400 this could be me!!!

Those are user images, Boardgamegeek is not a retail site.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
I'm waiting for the HoI4: Singaling Detachment expansion comes with real signaling flags to use with kinect

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I would legit pay money for a Dwarf-Fortress-detailed small-unit strategy game. Maybe something like the original Rainbow Six or the old Close Combat series, only with more detailed individual soldier stats and stuff.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I love how this

Or you could just join the military and work in logistics, the paperwork is pretty much identical.

I'm still convinced CNA was SPI trolling their customers - at the time they wanted MORE! BIGGER! STUFF! DETAIL! and, well, they got it. Of course, this was before the personal computer so you got the unique joy of filling out spreadsheets by hand as 'gameplay'.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

So basically this, the PC game.

Jesus Christ a wargame with a 10 foot long map.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mister Bates posted:

I would legit pay money for a Dwarf-Fortress-detailed small-unit strategy game. Maybe something like the original Rainbow Six or the old Close Combat series, only with more detailed individual soldier stats and stuff.

*Pvt Richard 'Boozenickels' Antwerpson has been feeling scared lately. He has complained about the 'drat nazis' lately. He has been shot at lately and has a flesh wound in his left calf muscle. He likes drinking 'American Ale'. He is not affected by the suffering of others. He loves digging foxholes. He loves sniping from belltowers. He grumbles about Panther IV tanks.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

uPen posted:

Jesus Christ a wargame with a 10 foot long map.

Oh, that is NOTHING. Remember, at the time people wanted BIGGER.

So you had Objective: Moscow, the entire USSR (including the useless Siberian bits):

Or how about the Battle of Waterloo ("Wellington's Victory"), pretty sure that was on a 10 foot map as well:

But of course those were pikers next to the monstrosity of monstrosities, War in the Pacific. 8 foot by 12 foot.

My father had this mounted on magnetic boards in the garage. The whole garage. It probably explains much of my upbringing.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 17, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lum_ posted:

So you had Objective: Moscow, the entire USSR (including the useless Siberian bits):

I got really excited for a second because I figured the only reason to make a wargame map of the whole of Russia would be for a Russian Civil War scenario, only to find that it's some hypothetical BS about an invasion of the USSR by a Western coalition in the 1970s. Has anyone tried to mod in the Russian Civil War? Victoria or Hearts of Iron?

Also, you might not want to leech. The image links look like they still go back to the BGG site.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Sorry, I'll re-upload. The board game you're looking for is Russian Civil War (I'm looking at an ancient copy on my bookshelf right now) which was a very politically focused game - players would control both Red and White units to simulate the total chaotic clusterfuck that the war was. As for computer games, Revolution Under Siege by AGEOD is the only major title on the subject; I never got into it despite it having rave reviews, but I never really liked any of AGEOD's games.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I think APD may attempt to mod in the RCW since I see tags for Siberia, the Ural Free State, etc but hell if I've ever seen it fire off or work. Maybe Russia needs to be properly hosed and in my games they just tend to keep their distance from anything resembling a major European war so it may be possible to do it if you properly gently caress the Tsardom.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The best mod for a RCW, oddly enough, is probably Kaiserreich - it's not terribly historical (of course) but it does capture the oh-poo poo-chaos spirit of the thing. Its first iteration, All The Russias for HOI2, was a counterfactual Russian Republic surviving to 1936 - basically, all the Russian events in Kaiserreich but with the rest of the world the same with Hitler and the rest. Ironically, Poland could be quite beastly in that version and there were events for a resurgent Poland kicking Germany's rear. Some people have tried to do a proper RCW mod for HOI2 but they never really got anywhere.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Why not just get WW1: Strategic Command, which has a fully dedicated well done RCW scenario/campaign?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Lum_ posted:

Oh, that is NOTHING. Remember, at the time people wanted BIGGER.

Useless!? What about when the Germans overrun Moscow in December of 1941? And how else am I going to simulate the 1942 siege of Vladivostok?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gorgo Primus posted:

Why not just get WW1: Strategic Command, which has a fully dedicated well done RCW scenario/campaign?

Battlefront never does any sales, I already blew last quarter's grognard game budget on Combat Mission, and I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything until I land a new job.

I'm sorry Paradox, that includes The Republic :smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lum_ posted:

Or how about the Battle of Waterloo ("Wellington's Victory"), pretty sure that was on a 10 foot map as well:

Why is it when I play that game I feel like I win when I lose?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gorgo Primus posted:

I'm so sick and tired of you guys badmouthing HOI4! You don't have to set troop breathing to automated to play; you just have to pause every other second to go through the chain of command and remind them to breath in new oxygen and exhale CO2. Personally I find it the immerse challenge rather fun. :colbert:

Finally someone gets it!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
The golden goose of Paradox laid these eggs:

Republic released

Get your swarthiness here

Also music

Cowcatcher fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 17, 2013

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Does someone know what line I have to put in which document, to give the common " build university/manufactory" mission a +1 tax base in a province where it was build ?
I think I saw this in one of Wiz' mods once. it would actually make me want to finish those.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

skipThings posted:

Does someone know what line I have to put in which document, to give the common " build university/manufactory" mission a +1 tax base in a province where it was build ?
I think I saw this in one of Wiz' mods once. it would actually make me want to finish those.

\missions\construction.txt

For all the "build_something" missions, insert "THIS = { base_tax = 1 }" into their "effect = { blah blah }" block.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cantorsdust posted:

Over 200,000 provinces!

In Sarajevo alone!

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

NihilCredo posted:

\missions\construction.txt

For all the "build_something" missions, insert "THIS = { base_tax = 1 }" into their "effect = { blah blah }" block.

I did this, but probably wrong, as it doesn't show up in the "current mission" window.

code:
build_university = {
	type = our_provinces
	allow = {
		owner = {
			government_tech = 16
			monthly_income = 40
			war = no
		}
		NOT = { has_building = refinery }
		NOT = { has_building = wharf }
		NOT = { has_building = textile }
		NOT = { has_building = weapons }
		NOT = { has_building = fine_arts_academy }
		NOT = { has_building = university }
		is_core = yes
		base_tax = 3
	}
	abort = {
		OR = {
			has_building = refinery
			has_building = weapons
			has_building = wharf
			has_building = textile
			has_building = fine_arts_academy
			NOT = {	owned_by = THIS }
		}
	}
	success = {
		has_building = university
	}
	chance = {
		factor = 1
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			is_capital = yes
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			base_tax = 5
		}		
	}
	effect = {
		define_advisor = { type = philosopher skill = 4 }
{ base_tax = 1 }
	}	
}
did I forget something or do I have to line it up properly ?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"THIS" in paradoxese is a reference call to the country in question. I'm pretty certain that if you want to do what you say, you should just add the line "base_tax = 1" to the effect section.

e: yeah, get rid of those brackets around the line

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
Yes, that did it, thank you Fister Robot and Nihil Credo

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So I decided to vary it up with some D&T after playing EU3+ for the past while. So I chose one of the chinese city states in the 1356 and start punching gigantic mongols in the nuts. Fast forward 50 years and I've sent an expedition to Europe(You get a special decision that gives you 2 explorers to represent the chinese exploration fleet), westernized, formed modern china and gotten the worlds ugliest flag. Seriously, look at it.

So yeah, D&T :psyduck:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cynic Jester posted:

So I decided to vary it up with some D&T after playing EU3+ for the past while. So I chose one of the chinese city states in the 1356 and start punching gigantic mongols in the nuts. Fast forward 50 years and I've sent an expedition to Europe(You get a special decision that gives you 2 explorers to represent the chinese exploration fleet), westernized, formed modern china and gotten the worlds ugliest flag. Seriously, look at it.

So yeah, D&T :psyduck:

Isn't that the Chinese Republican flag? Why would they even have that at this point in time? I don't think the basic concepts informing its design are even in place yet.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Tomn posted:

Isn't that the Chinese Republican flag? Why would they even have that at this point in time? I don't think the basic concepts informing its design are even in place yet.

That was the Beiyang flag, so uh, yeah, what the gently caress.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This flag is claimed by sites online to be the flag of the Ming Dynasty.

Regardless of its historical accuracy, it would probably be better than the Beiyang flag.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Y'all are just jealous of how colorful and inclusive the Five Races Under One Union flag is

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Something weird keeps happening in my CK2 game. Haven't played much CK2 so I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this is. I'm playing Granada and took most of southern Spain and made Andalusia. Only problem is France took a strip of Spain stretching from Barcelona to Badajoz, so I kept plotting on and killing French kings to try to make everyone else rebel and they did when a female slothdwarf took the throne. Pretty much all the land France had left was 5 provinces around Paris and 5 in Tolouse and most of that was getting occupied when all of a sudden all the rebels just rejoined France without even losing any territory, and they all still had -100 relations with the queen. Then a while later even more provinces rebelled and the same thing happened. Is this normal or is something going wrong?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Trujillo posted:

Something weird keeps happening in my CK2 game. Haven't played much CK2 so I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this is. I'm playing Granada and took most of southern Spain and made Andalusia. Only problem is France took a strip of Spain stretching from Barcelona to Badajoz, so I kept plotting on and killing French kings to try to make everyone else rebel and they did when a female slothdwarf took the throne. Pretty much all the land France had left was 5 provinces around Paris and 5 in Tolouse and most of that was getting occupied when all of a sudden all the rebels just rejoined France without even losing any territory, and they all still had -100 relations with the queen. Then a while later even more provinces rebelled and the same thing happened. Is this normal or is something going wrong?

The only thing I can think of is that if there was a single person in charge of the whole rebellion--say, a cousin or brother of a dead king laying claim to the throne--if he were to die or be captured in battle the war will automatically end in France's favor. Perhaps that's the case here?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The more I think about the upcoming East vs. West game, the more I am convinced that it would be very interesting to play a Paradox political simulator-type game that takes place from around 1970 up to the first decade of the 21st century, with a lesser focus on military matters than HOI3, and more of a focus on politics and economics. It might be like Victoria 2 with the focus on economics, and CK2 with its political intrigue and backroom dealing. I thought the whole election and political party thing with Victoria 2 was pretty neat, and had more potential, but they could've gone even deeper with it.

Plus, the forty years between 1970 and 2010 were decades of such massive change. I'd be really interested to play through economic globalization, preside over the 1973 Oil Crisis, the rise of the Internet, the industrialization of China, or the Great Recession. It would be awesome to deal with all sorts of things like extremist terrorist groups, multinational corporations, and Intergovernment organizations like the E.U. or the U.N.

Imagine trying to win the 2008 US election as the Republican Party! Or try playing as Thailand during the Asian Financial Crisis!

Or successfully invade Kuwait as Saddam Hussein. :suicide:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 18, 2013

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

DrSunshine posted:

The more I think about the upcoming East vs. West game, the more I am convinced that it would be very interesting to pay a Paradox political simulator-type game that takes place from around 1970 up to the first decade of the 21st century, with a lesser focus on military matters than HOI3, and more of a focus on politics and economics. It might be like Victoria 2 with the focus on economics, and CK2 with its political intrigue and backroom dealing. I thought the whole election and political party thing with Victoria 2 was pretty neat, and had more potential, but they could've gone even deeper with it.

Plus, the forty years between 1970 and 2010 were decades of such massive change. I'd be really interested to play through economic globalization, preside over the 1973 Oil Crisis, the rise of the Internet, the industrialization of China, or the Great Recession. It would be awesome to deal with all sorts of things like extremist terrorist groups, multinational corporations, and Intergovernment organizations like the E.U. or the U.N.

Imagine trying to win the 2008 US election as the Republican Party! Or try playing as Thailand during the Asian Financial Crisis!

Or successfully invade Kuwait as Saddam Hussein. :suicide:

I know it's not the full Paradox treatment, but go play Shadow President with DosBox. You're the US just before the first Gulf War. Can you prevent it? Will your poll numbers survive an armed conflict? What about threats of terrorism from Libya and North Korea? Can you expand the economy with free trade agreements, or will you lose out to the economic powerhouse that is Japan? Will you maintain your influence over Europe and prevent Russian incursion?

All in all, pretty fun.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Trujillo posted:

Sounds like the rebellion's goal is not independence, but something like lowering crown authority. So when their liege surrenders and gives them what they're demanding, they rejoin her.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
New EU4 Dev Diary. Honestly this was pretty disappointing to me, though the new UI looks nice. I was hoping for things to be closer to CK2, and 'aggressive expansion' seems like BB in all but name (are people still going to get pissed off because you conquered provinces that they don't even know exist?)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

New EU4 Dev Diary. Honestly this was pretty disappointing to me, though the new UI looks nice. I was hoping for things to be closer to CK2, and 'aggressive expansion' seems like BB in all but name (are people still going to get pissed off because you conquered provinces that they don't even know exist?)

The problem with badboy wasn't that conquering made you less popular, it was that it was too binary. There was a limit, and the penalties for staying under the limit were minimal, and the penalties for going above the limit were severe. It was also a number and effect that existed independent of other systems. By adapting the modifiers into a more linear scale that ties directly into the overall relations system, it is both more intuitive and allows you to mitigate the effects of conquest through diplomatic means.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The problem with badboy wasn't that conquering made you less popular, it was that it was too binary. There was a limit, and the penalties for staying under the limit were minimal, and the penalties for going above the limit were severe. It was also a number and effect that existed independent of other systems. By adapting the modifiers into a more linear scale that ties directly into the overall relations system, it is both more intuitive and allows you to mitigate the effects of conquest through diplomatic means.

It also allows for the system to account for your Allies/Client states who simply don't care that you're gobbling up all your neighbours because you are best mates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

RabidWeasel posted:

It's not really the same, no. I assume a later DD will give more details.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 18, 2013

• Locked thread