Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coconono posted:

Weren't the fans brought in at gunpoint?

I also vaguely remember the whole thing happening because Kim Jong Il was a wrestling fan.

Did you know that every match he did was a 5 star classic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

MassRayPer posted:

OH IT IS NOW RACIST THAT I POINT OUT MEXICANS LIKE PINATAS? GREAT, BETTER SCRAP THE NAPPING JANITOR GIMMICK I HAD SET FOR SUPER CALO!

I really want to know what the angle was that Konnan has made reference to that led to Russo hiding in a limo because so many of the Mexican wrestlers were angry with him.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Frot Lesnar posted:

Do you mean Kwang or Tensai?

Meng.

please don't kill me Meng

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Meng.

please don't kill me Meng

He will not killl you but get rid of your pesky nose problem.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

Weren't the fans brought in at gunpoint?

I also vaguely remember the whole thing happening because Kim Jong Il was a wrestling fan.

I doubt it was literally at gun point, but everyone there would know they had no choice but to go. Hell, it's worse in a way since it everyone going would know they better go and look good or they might end up moved to the countryside or in a concentration camp. The people with the best family background and service to the party get to live in and around Pyongyang, and would be the ones who would attend these shows. They want the event to have propaganda value, so the best fed, best dressed juche believing folk will get the wonderful opportunity to go!

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

I doubt it was literally at gun point, but everyone there would know they had no choice but to go. Hell, it's worse in a way since it everyone going would know they better go and look good or they might end up moved to the countryside or in a concentration camp. The people with the best family background and service to the party get to live in and around Pyongyang, and would be the ones who would attend these shows. They want the event to have propaganda value, so the best fed, best dressed juche believing folk will get the wonderful opportunity to go!

Although not in the same ballpark Vince used to force employees to stay late to be the audience while filming Prime Time Wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Frot Lesnar posted:

Although not in the same ballpark Vince used to force employees to stay late to be the audience while filming Prime Time Wrestling.

Or the time some puro company wouldn't let Meltzer or any of the fans leave a TV taping even though it was like 2 in the morning.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

Or the time some puro company wouldn't let Meltzer or any of the fans leave a TV taping even though it was like 2 in the morning.

this one im unfamiliar with.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

John Cena posted:

this one im unfamiliar with.

I remember they didn't want the results to leak before the event aired or ended but the promotion and everything else escapes me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Frot Lesnar posted:

I remember they didn't want the results to leak before the event aired or ended but the promotion and everything else escapes me.

I think it was joshi.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Frot Lesnar posted:

Overworking employees is terrible, but the difference between that and North Korea is like being stabbed with a letter opener and being 'stabbed' with a chainsaw.

But yeah, both Bischoff and Flair were on that tour and both talk about it in their books; Bischoff recounts how he was taken in front of a statue for the recently deceased Kim Il-Sung and 'interviewed' about all the North Koreans 'incinerated' by American bombs (ie slag your country for propaganda purposes) and when Flair left he was told to give a speech espousing how sorry he was about Sung's death: when he just gave a generic speech instead, it was translated as that anyway. Flair also recounts a blackly amusing story while he was sitting with the generals and military command during the show and one of them SLOWWWLLLY began to clue in that pro wrestling was not a legitimate sporting event.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Cornwind Evil posted:

Flair also recounts a blackly amusing story while he was sitting with the generals and military command during the show and one of them SLOWWWLLLY began to clue in that pro wrestling was not a legitimate sporting event.

I hope it was a Korean version of the Trolls 2 "Oh My God" reaction.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Retail Slave posted:

Yes, it looks like poo poo and like they're desperate for money.

"WE CAN'T MAKE ENOUGH MONEY ON OUR OWN MERIT! WE HAVE TO ACCEPT MONEY FROM A COMPANY TO EYEBALL-RAPE YOU FOR 3 HOURS"

Just like it does for major boxing events, UFC, the NFL, the NBA, the MLB, major college sports...

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I think the problem with pro-wrestling is it's acting, so ads are kinda distracting like in the movies.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Numero6 posted:

I think the problem with pro-wrestling is it's acting, so ads are kinda distracting like in the movies.

I kinda see it from the perspective that things like MMA and boxing are most often done as pay-per-views which usually have no commercial breaks, so putting advertising on the mat and around the ring is just compensating for that loss of time where they'd normally be selling commerical slots. By contrast, wrestling shows have tons of commercial breaks, so putting advertising on the mat there is an overload and feels much more intrusive.

E: And thinking about this advertising topic reminded me of when Mean Gene was cutting promos for the N64 game Beetle Adventure Racing during shows. I think they were running a contest to give away a Beetle at the time too, or maybe I'm remembering that part wrong.

Scirocco Griffon fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 19, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

I think it was joshi.

Yeah, he was there with the 123 Kid and he haddn't slept and once he got in he couldn't get out. But saw the best battle royal ever.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRayPer posted:

It was a pair New Japan shows with one WCW contracted wrestler on one of the shows. WCW just had an agreement with New Japan to promote certain "co-promotions" on PPV. Right now in the back issue of the Observer we are getting a great example of WCW's "greatness" at putting on shows with foreign workers. During the build up to Starrcade 95 they had Sonny Onoo "buy" WCW Pro airtime and then do an old timey racist Japanese foreign manager gimmick as the New Japan workers in this timeslot played foreign heels. Even Liger.

WCW would bring in foreign talent and put them in matches. If they were given time, we got good stuff. Sometimes they were super racist and 99% of the time the talent was buried and humiliated.

I watched WCW, I really loved WCW, but even in foreign talent, something they won by default due to Vince's reluctance they were pretty embarrassing until Bischoff decreed "Sign every Mexican on earth!" Even then, they were a mixed bag.

Edit: You LIKE that kind of thinking? You like the idea of doing a show in North Korea at a time when starvation was at its worst as the country recovered from its late 80s building craze? Even if you don't know any of the details of the show, how can you like the idea of working with the worst regime on the planet? Add in that the audience was compelled to go there by their government and everything else that goes in with working with North Korea and you LIKE the idea?

You sure read an awful lot into a short post. Maybe you should sit down.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Retail Slave posted:

Yes, it looks like poo poo and like they're desperate for money.

"WE CAN'T MAKE ENOUGH MONEY ON OUR OWN MERIT! WE HAVE TO ACCEPT MONEY FROM A COMPANY TO EYEBALL-RAPE YOU FOR 3 HOURS"

I really don't think you understand how sponsorship works.

E; To bring it back to racing, Michael Schumacher, who isn't exactly Flair in the "needs money" department, got paid millions of dollars in his heyday just to wear a drat hat with a sponsor logo on it during interviews.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 19, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In fairness, as useless as both of them are, ringwork wise, Warrior vs Goldberg WOULD have been big money, assuming Russo managed to not gently caress it up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In fairness, as useless as both of them are, ringwork wise, Warrior vs Goldberg WOULD have been big money, assuming Russo managed to not gently caress it up.

That match would happen in 1999 or 2000, by then it wouldn't be big money at all. Realistically any Warrior match in WCW wasn't going to be worth the money he was getting paid after the build up to Havoc 98. That show's buyrate was a huge disappointment.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Warrior did brought huge ratings just before he made people flee with his awful long-rear end promos.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Numero6 posted:

Warrior did brought huge ratings just before he made people flee with his awful long-rear end promos.

His first promo was supposed to be two minutes to make people want more but he rambled on for 20 minutes.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Frot Lesnar posted:

His first promo was supposed to be two minutes to make people want more but he rambled on for 20 minutes.

Classic case of people being excited to hear him start talking until the point they realized he wouldn't stop talking and didn't make any damned sense. Been there. Worked in health care for group home people. That first day when you walk up to someone and ask how they are and get "Blue banana go bye bye" as a response. Kind of a long form version of that.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

I remember flipping from Raw to Nitro for that Warrior promo and being so excited since it was an older guy my dad remembered and he looked really interesting and then a few minutes later getting bored and going right back to Raw. Warrior really is an extreme case of "less is more".

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Warrior's first promo was pretty good all the way through. Everything after was loving terrible.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't think it's possible to miss the point more than they did with Warrior. Hey, it's this intense guy who got over by running to the ring, being insane and smashing the poo poo out of heels everyone hated. So let's have him cut half hour promos and never fight anyone.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Warrior's first promo was pretty good all the way through. Everything after was loving terrible.

He committed the cardinal sin, the #1 no-no in the business by reminding people he already beat Hogan.*

*ignore all the times Hogan did this throughout his career and give Hulkster some sympy

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Frot Lesnar posted:

He committed the cardinal sin, the #1 no-no in the business by reminding people he already beat Hogan.*

*ignore all the times Hogan did this throughout his career and give Hulkster some sympy

I thought the cardinal sin was mentioning that Hogan is bald?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Frot Lesnar posted:

This, to me remains the most fascinating thing Hogan has said about wrestling. He usually attempts to look like he gets wrestling and isn't an egotistical maniac who hates losing, but here he lets that all go.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I thought the cardinal sin was mentioning that Hogan is bald?
Hogan's wig in 1996 was pretty great.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Holy crap. Is this real? I don't remember this at all.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

Holy crap. Is this real? I don't remember this at all.
Halloween Havoc 1996.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

DeathChicken posted:

I don't think it's possible to miss the point more than they did with Warrior. Hey, it's this intense guy who got over by running to the ring, being insane and smashing the poo poo out of heels everyone hated. So let's have him cut half hour promos and never fight anyone.

Also, he's magic now for some reason.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Were they making fun of Sting?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I remember a bunch of us watching that in Synchtube and being really confused as to why Hogan had a full head of hair

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

I remember a bunch of us watching that in Synchtube and being really confused as to why Hogan had a full head of hair
That was my reaction.
On that show or Nitro, he was in the crowd with other nWo guys and I couldn't figure out who it was.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

I think he was filming 3 Ninjas at the time.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Oh hey, during these times WCW wasn't aired in France so I had to use a german channel to get it (DSF), they had a DSF-only feud between Tom Gerhardt (an awful comedian) and Berlyn that would lead a match in a german house show. Does anyone remember that?

I couldn't find a video on youtube or dailymotion but I remember he had The Mamalukes, and maybe The Wall, wearing his ridiculous clothes as a backup during the match. I wish someone had the entire feud uploaded because it was so bad and made Berlyn looking like a total goof.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

I think he was filming 3 Ninjas at the time.

That's exactly right. That was the hair his character had in the seminal classic "3 Ninjas: High Noon At Mega Mountain".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That's exactly right. That was the hair his character had in the seminal classic "3 Ninjas: High Noon At Mega Mountain".

The best thing about that "movie" is that he is top billed and he is in it for maybe 20 minutes at the most.