Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Crustashio posted:

Some guy on a local site says he hit a pothole and broke his coilover.

It looks like the upper strut mount was in it's death throes before the pot-hole finally finished it off. I'm guessing he never turns his radio down.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

Sure looks like a horrible mechanic failure to me. The upper end of that appears to have tapered threads and a perfectly square face, so I think the nut came off rather than the stud breaking.

On a lowered BMW with basketweaves? Perish the thought!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slavvy posted:

On a lowered BMW with basketweaves? Perish the thought!

loose nuts sink whips!

Alright, that was a terrible pun even for me.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Crustashio posted:

Some guy on a local site says he hit a pothole and broke his coilover.

Hellaretarded.jpg

I can't help but think of the guy who committed insurance fraud by re-installing his stock suspension and claiming that his Honda Jazz had just broken its own monocoque.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 17, 2013

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
But they're JOM coilovers! All the VW guys use them!

I had to refrain from commenting because my only suggestion is to take them off and throw them in the garbage. Not pictured is the ridiculous amount of rust on the car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Just saw this from my friend at RRE:

Cosworth piston that ran into some valves, guessing from an EVO.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
You've got some ultra-low compression pistons there, I see.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

So when something like that happens how knackered do the crankshaft journals and connecting rod bearings get. I imagine putting vent holes in pistons and possibly bending connecting rods can't be good for the crank.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

So when something like that happens how knackered do the crankshaft journals and connecting rod bearings get. I imagine putting vent holes in pistons and possibly bending connecting rods can't be good for the crank.

That's not all that great, no. The new diet of metal chunks doesn't help either.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012
today was a fun day at the track. Got about 3/4 of the way through the first session and this happenned.

Still curious which broke first.

also hellaflush now

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

What's that on the window track?

Ohhhh... Well, the complementary vice grips were a nice touch.

Never buy a used Toyota from a Chevy dealership.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How long did that vise grips trick work?

Seems to me that'd hit the glass during normal use as it slides past.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

:eng101: It doesn't slide past, the vice grips holds the glass up (fixed in place).

I did this on my coupe quattro when the window regulator went out and the part was a dealer-order item.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Well, my father bought the car in 2005 and I only pulled the door skin off six hours ago, so you do the math.

Also yes, the glass was stuck in the up position.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
gently caress.

Drill and tap my friends....drill and tap :doh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress.

Drill and tap my friends....drill and tap :doh:

That's a loving mess. Good luck.

At least you got the pulley off. :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

That's a loving mess. Good luck.

At least you got the pulley off. :)

Oh, it did that itself. While driving.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, it did that itself. While driving.

Who did the timing belt last?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Some carnage from an Elise gearbox I was tinkering with today. 3rd output gear has gone bye-bye.

And the mating input gear in the centre.

Box was pretty hosed in general, not sure if it's from a previous failure or this one but the inside of the casing is gouged to hell all around the crown wheel too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Who did the timing belt last?

Fine, I checked to make sure it wasn't going to try to wander without the pulleys and it didn't, so I drove it home.

I'm in the process of taping and easy-out-ing the remains right now. 2 down, 2 to go.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jammyozzy posted:

Some carnage from an Elise gearbox I was tinkering with today. 3rd output gear has gone bye-bye.

And the mating input gear in the centre.

Box was pretty hosed in general, not sure if it's from a previous failure or this one but the inside of the casing is gouged to hell all around the crown wheel too.

Is that from a K-series elise or a toyota ZZ? Just curious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
To resolve the issue I previously posted:

Bitches don't know about my Easy Out.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

To resolve the issue I previously posted:

Bitches don't know about my Easy Out.

Next up, give us a clear picture of Bigfoot!

Are you seriously telling me that you used an easy out successfully?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

Next up, give us a clear picture of Bigfoot!

Are you seriously telling me that you used an easy out successfully?

This is the second or third time I have, check the Audi build thread to see me pull drive line Allen bolts with an easy out FROM AN ANGLE :catstare:

I center tapped those broken bolts by hand too, scared the hell out of me I was worried about drilling into the threads.

Nope. All clear.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 23, 2013

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Slavvy posted:

Is that from a K-series elise or a toyota ZZ? Just curious.

It's a Toyota box, 6 speeds and has the little plastic-looking pads Toyota loves to put on their selector forks. Don't know any more back story on age or what it was being used for though, although it was probably circuit racing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

This is the second or third time I have, check the Audi build thread to see me pull drive line Allen bolts with an easy out FROM AN ANGLE :catstare:

One of these days you'll use up the last of your ez-out luck and the entire garage will collapse.

In the meantime though.. :worship:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

In medieval times we'd have to burn you for witchcraft.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sir Cornelius posted:

In medieval times we'd have to burn you for witchcraft.

Wait, we're not supposed to do that anymore?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Beach Bum posted:

Wait, we're not supposed to do that anymore?

No, but you burn the remains of whatever bolt to make sure the others also do not attempt to mutiny.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pics speak for themselves. Who can tell me why this car won't get written off despite the quote being well into five digits?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Because it caused the accident? Because it wasn't in any accident?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Pics speak for themselves. Who can tell me why this car won't get written off despite the quote being well into five digits?

Because a car being "written off" is a decision based on a percentage (usually around 85) that you insurer has for totaling a car......and none of us know what you car may be worth as we don't know what the hell is it or what condition it was in before,

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Not a mechanical failure but I saw the price for a replacement front bumper on an 06 Elise today. Over 6k. :staredog:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

CommieGIR posted:

I center tapped those broken bolts by hand too, scared the hell out of me I was worried about drilling into the threads.

Nope. All clear.

That's clearly a photoshop. No human being in existence has ever successfully used an easy out.

*edit*

my GTI was written off for this little number:

So I don't see why that one wouldn't be. Of course mine also had a hole in the passenger floor pan from the wheel being pushed back like that. It was big enough to stick your head through.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 25, 2013

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Because it's uninsured.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bucephalus posted:

Because it's uninsured.

Yeah, that's gotta be it. I doubt they've got money to repair it though - it looks pretty done for.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It's a ruined Kia (which is redundant, I know), how can the damage possibly be into five digits when the drat thing wasn't worth that new?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You try building a car out of a dealership part catalogue some time.

I am curious how you'd even start rebuilding that. It doesn't look too bad, the floor pan and firewall seem mostly intact.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

You try building a car out of a dealership part catalogue some time.

I am curious how you'd even start rebuilding that. It doesn't look too bad, the floor pan and firewall seem mostly intact.

Bent A arm, bent control arm, bent steering knuckle, destroyed ball join, damaged CV half shaft for sure, who knows what sort of body damage.

It'll be a list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Bent A arm, bent control arm, bent steering knuckle, destroyed ball join, damaged CV half shaft for sure, who knows what sort of body damage.

It'll be a list.

Also the control arm mounts are physically ripped out of the subframe.

It's valued at $115,000 because it is a custom-made vehicle for a disabled person, so it has a wheelchair ramp and hand controls etc. It's made to commission by the accident compensation corporation (government accident insurance).

He hit a traffic island at around 90km/h.

A normal one new is worth roughly 50k.