Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

td4guy posted:

Which is right, you or this map?

It is part of west.

Sorry, just had our first kid, newborn 3 weeks old. For the first time in my life I find I'm mixing up words, forget what I am saying, etc. probably due to lack of sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

moolchaba posted:

Wonder if that means Kalamazoo and Detroit.

The Michigan cities are Midland and Saginaw unfortunately, according to the Android blogs I read today. The area around Grand Rapids will get it first as its one of Michigan's largest markets, then it'll slowly move south to Kalamazoo. I wouldn't expect it before Q3 or so though.

Edit: what the hell is that above map and why does it show Kalamazoo county as east Michigan? I'm dumb

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 17, 2013

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Ender.uNF posted:

South Carolina (3)
Yes! Guess it's time to donate to S4GRU again so I can watch the map updates.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Anyone know if the free extended battery for the Gnex is still available, and if so what's the procedure for procuring one online? I grabbed a phone off ebay and it came with an extended battery, but it doesn't look stock and I'd like to keep NFC capabilities.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

bobula posted:

Anyone know if the free extended battery for the Gnex is still available, and if so what's the procedure for procuring one online? I grabbed a phone off ebay and it came with an extended battery, but it doesn't look stock and I'd like to keep NFC capabilities.

You can't do it online. You have to call telesales specifically and ask for it (don't call regular support, they won't help you).

I believe this is the number: 866-866-7509

OMGMYSPLEEN fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 17, 2013

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Stumpalitious posted:

Good to see they're keeping up the blistering pace of one tower per week or whatever the gently caress they feel like for the Raleigh Durham area. I swear I was in Philly for new years and I had a good tower near me, it was like owning a different phone.

This. I'm sort of tempted to give s4guru money to see just how stupidly the handful of Raleigh/Durham towers are placed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ender.uNF posted:

And here are your useless tower updates

New York City (18)

Those updates must be all along the waterfront or in some abandoned industrial park, because I still haven't seen 4G in NYC on my HTC EVO 4G LTE except for this one group of blocks near the Jewelers District in Manhattan.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
So I just moved to a new office in lower Manhattan (across from Battery Park) and have zero Sprint service (no voice or data). I can't make any work calls or anything and the service is completely useless. Supposedly, they have towers down in the area and won't have them restored for another month or two, which completely screws up how I'm supposed to do my work (I'm a consultant and I can't use my client's landlines). I've been dealing with support all day and they keep giving me the runaround and refuse to waive the ETF because I live 2 miles away in a different zip code.

Any suggestions?

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Gilok posted:

This. I'm sort of tempted to give s4guru money to see just how stupidly the handful of Raleigh/Durham towers are placed.

Don't worry, at this rate we will have a decent network around 2015 or so.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The 3G in Normal, IL seems to be a bit faster than it was before I left for break. Progress?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Ender.uNF posted:

They are part of the Las Vegas market, that's why. The markets are generally anchored by the largest city, then stretch out roughly halfway toward the next largest city along the interstates, picking up any towns along the way. Anytime you see some Podunk town getting LTE first, it's always due to being part of a larger metro market on Sprint's map.

And here are your useless tower updates; hold onto your buttholes because its a big one:

Approximately 920 updated sites today in: Chicago (219), Boston (131), Kansas (94), Shentel (48), SF Bay (40), Atlanta/Athens (36), LA Metro (36), San Diego (30), DFW (29), Houston (27), Austin (24), New York City (18), Washington DC (18), Alabama (17), San Antonio (17), New Orleans (15), Nashville (13), Charlotte (12), Orlando (10), Riverside/San Bernardino (10), Upstate NY Central (8), Baltimore (7), Minnesota (6), Upstate NY East (6), Miami/West Palm (5), Tampa (5), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (3), Georgia (3), Memphis (3), Norfolk (3), Northern Jersey (3)
, South Carolina (3), West Michigan (3), Delaware (2), East Michigan (2), Jacksonville (2), Philadelphia Metro (2), Cleveland (1), Indianapolis (1), Long Island (1), Lower Central Valley (1), Northern Connecticut (1), Oregon/SW Washington (1), Raleigh/Durham (1), Southern Connecticut (1), VT/NH/ME (1).

Are these upgrades overall or specific to LTE?

I'm doing this via mobile so it's not as easy to search back.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
So... Sprint knows there are more than just two people on their network in Milwaukee right? 3G here is almost completely useless.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

I Dont Like You posted:

So... Sprint knows there are more than just two people on their network in Milwaukee right? 3G here is almost completely useless.
I have a feeling Wisconsin is going to be one of the last places they upgrade :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

UncleGuito posted:

So I just moved to a new office in lower Manhattan (across from Battery Park) and have zero Sprint service (no voice or data). I can't make any work calls or anything and the service is completely useless. Supposedly, they have towers down in the area and won't have them restored for another month or two, which completely screws up how I'm supposed to do my work (I'm a consultant and I can't use my client's landlines). I've been dealing with support all day and they keep giving me the runaround and refuse to waive the ETF because I live 2 miles away in a different zip code.

Any suggestions?

What type of phone do you have? You really have two options:
1. Flash a Verizon PRL and roam like crazy till they kick you off. I personally recommend this.
2. Switch and sell your phone to make up the ETF if at all possible.

Definitely at least try calling retentions again and make a (polite) bitch fest, be firm and keep asking to be escalated. And email dan@ sprint.com

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Duckman2008 posted:

What type of phone do you have? You really have two options:
1. Flash a Verizon PRL and roam like crazy till they kick you off. I personally recommend this.
2. Switch and sell your phone to make up the ETF if at all possible.

Definitely at least try calling retentions again and make a (polite) bitch fest, be firm and keep asking to be escalated. And email dan@ sprint.com

I have an iPhone 4S so I'm assuming flashing the PRL won't be possible?

I asked to be escalated past the 2nd account manager and he said it would take at least 4 business days to get a call back. What a joke.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

ryanbruce posted:

What do you mean? They are basically installing a new network to replace the old one, from the network operation centers, through the backhaul, out to the tower base, then through to new antennas.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UncleGuito posted:

I have an iPhone 4S so I'm assuming flashing the PRL won't be possible?

I asked to be escalated past the 2nd account manager and he said it would take at least 4 business days to get a call back. What a joke.

Yeah no flashing abilities that I know of without at least jail breaking.

Give it a few days and try to get out contract free, if not just break contract and sell the iPhone to make up for it.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
So tired of driving around Columbus and seeing all the billboards for AT&T and Verizon LTE.......

drat Sprint....:drat:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

nmfree posted:

I have a feeling Wisconsin is going to be one of the last places they upgrade :(

I read a blog post a while back on s4gru saying that there were signs that the start of the Milwaukee market had been moved up to the first half of 2013 (and they did 1 tower in Northern Wisconsin a few updates ago!!).

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

ryanbruce posted:

It's LTE. The site is located about halfway between Tigard and Tualatin, next to Tigard High School.

Edit: NV back haul improvements are already well underway in the Portland area.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

beamrider posted:

So tired of driving around Columbus and seeing all the billboards for AT&T and Verizon LTE.......

Ugh, have they not upgraded anything in Columbus yet? I'm going there on business next week and going back to Sprint's 3G after getting used to having LTE everywhere in Indy and Chicago is going to suck balls.

Don't give me a taste of a real network and then take it away from me, Sprint. :(

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm due for an upgrade in a couple weeks and I'm thinking of swapping my EVO3D for the iPhone 5. I looked over the last few pages and see some talk of new stuff right around the corner. Should I wait a little bit for something new?

Also, if I do get the iPhone, what is the consensus on Sprint insurance vs apple care? All my friends with iPhones are telling me to ditch the sprint insurance.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

The Antipop posted:

I'm due for an upgrade in a couple weeks and I'm thinking of swapping my EVO3D for the iPhone 5. I looked over the last few pages and see some talk of new stuff right around the corner. Should I wait a little bit for something new?

Also, if I do get the iPhone, what is the consensus on Sprint insurance vs apple care? All my friends with iPhones are telling me to ditch the sprint insurance.

AppleCare+ is excellent and dealing with Apple is 10x better than phone insurance... but it doesn't cover lost/stolen phones so take that as you will.

There will be a new iPhone between June-October but we don't know exactly when. You can always sell your iPhone 5 when the new one comes out, then apply that toward the retail price of the new model and probably come out paying the normal $200 contract upgrade price since the iPhones hold value much better than other phones.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Ender.uNF posted:

What do you mean? They are basically installing a new network to replace the old one, from the network operation centers, through the backhaul, out to the tower base, then through to new antennas.

I just meant because when I looked at the road map a while back, Portland wasn't slated for a NV start until after Q2.

Time to start celebrating! :dance:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The Antipop posted:

The only things for sure are the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the iPhone 5, but you're probably in for a 5-9 month wait for either.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE

cc posted:

Ugh, have they not upgraded anything in Columbus yet? I'm going there on business next week and going back to Sprint's 3G after getting used to having LTE everywhere in Indy and Chicago is going to suck balls.

Don't give me a taste of a real network and then take it away from me, Sprint. :(

Nothing that I've seen, and I'm commonly all over the place, anywhere inside 270. Makes me wish there was a way to sneak onto Verizon/ATT's 4G LTE until Sprint gets the lead out.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So I cancelled sprint and have to send my Airrave back. The 'return kit' is an oh so barely padded UPS envelope (google image search "express pad pak"). I'm quite confident that this is going to break in shipping. Should I care? I'm guessing no.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

My wife is looking to finally replace her old flip phone. We were at the Sprint store, and she was leaning towards the lg optimus. Any issues we should be aware of? She's just going to be checking email on the train, and not planning on getting any apps or anything.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gninjagnome posted:

My wife is looking to finally replace her old flip phone. We were at the Sprint store, and she was leaning towards the lg optimus. Any issues we should be aware of? She's just going to be checking email on the train, and not planning on getting any apps or anything.

My mother and stepfather resisted getting smart phones for this reason and are now upset over Sprint's lovely 3G network speeds, less than a year into their contract, because once they got their phones they started using them like any smartphone owner would - downloading apps, browsing, etc. Mom traded in her transformer charge (? It was some dumpy wimax Samsung one) for a GNex because she saw what mine was like. Basically, be very keen on that 14-day window for returns.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

ryanbruce posted:

Now that I have my S4GRU sponsor status again, these aren't LTE specific exactly but they are the Network Vision upgrades. They're LTE-ready but may not be broadcasting a 4G signal yet. For example, the three towers in SC they did last week are only on 3G right now according to the S4GRU map.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ninmeister posted:

You can't do it online. You have to call telesales specifically and ask for it (don't call regular support, they won't help you).

I believe this is the number: 866-866-7509

Anyone know exactly how to do this? My boyfriend got a Galaxy Nexus but can't get this number to work.

The site shows that its still available.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
How much do you have to donate to be able to see useful information? I saw that you have to donate $100 to get the most information but surely nobody here donated that much to find out about tower rollouts.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gninjagnome posted:

Save yourself a future headache and just don't. Any cheap android phone will break within 2 years. Get her am iPhone 4S if you want to go cheap, it's the best option.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know how to cancel autopay? I tried on the site, but it claims I'm still enrolled.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

gninjagnome posted:

Which Optimus? If its the Optimus S, avoid it completely. The email app alone can fill up the memory. The Optimus Elite isn't much better. The Optimus G might be good, but it has a non-removable battery and no SD card slot, and I don't really trust that on an LG.

I'd second the iPhone 4S idea. The store should also be able to order an iPhone 4 as a freebie if they don't have them in stock, Sprint is stocking them again though they're not really promoting it. Probably the best free phone, though expect it to be super dated by the next upgrade date.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

Which Optimus? If its the Optimus S, avoid it completely. The email app alone can fill up the memory. The Optimus Elite isn't much better. The Optimus G might be good, but it has a non-removable battery and no SD card slot, and I don't really trust that on an LG.

I'd second the iPhone 4S idea. The store should also be able to order an iPhone 4 as a freebie if they don't have them in stock, Sprint is stocking them again though they're not really promoting it. Probably the best free phone, though expect it to be super dated by the next upgrade date.

The Optimus G does have an SD card slot, the Nexus 4 does not.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How much do you have to donate to be able to see useful information? I saw that you have to donate $100 to get the most information but surely nobody here donated that much to find out about tower rollouts.

Unless things have changed since I donated last year, the minimum amount ($5, I think) should be enough to see the # of upgraded towers stuff and the basic maps that show tower locations and upgrade status and such. I ended up not renewing mine, because the NV/LTE rollout here in KC is at a point where I have decent coverage at most of the places I frequent, so I haven't needed to follow the progress as closely.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Optimus G does have an SD card slot, the Nexus 4 does not.

The Optimus G does not have an SD card slot. Sprint doesn't carry the Nexus 4.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Giblet posted:

The Optimus G does not have an SD card slot. Sprint doesn't carry the Nexus 4.

I know Sprint doesn't have the Nexus 4, but the N4 is based on the Optimus G and doesn't have one.

However, it seems Sprint opted to not have the G have an SD card slot as when I checked, it said that the G does. Apparently, that's only for the AT&T version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

$5 is the minimum and it lasts for 6 months. That'll get you access to the rollout info and interactive maps that show the status of the towers they're working on. Once you reach $100 in total donations you can get Premier Sponsor level which never expires but doesn't have that many benefits beyond that from what I can remember.