Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vickser
Dec 27, 2012

ErIog posted:

Homosexuality is a lot more accepted in the US than in some of these other places. In the US it's a lot more common to have had a personal interaction with someone that you know is gay since it's a lot easier for people to come out of the closet. Otherization of homosexuals is easier in these countries since so many are still closeted, and it's easier to prey on the ignorance of the populace.

Is this ingrained in a machismo-laden culture or is it religious conservatism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

This cool map by Greg Stoll shows the evolution of same-sex marriage in the United States since the early 90s. Also has a cartogram option!

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

ErIog posted:

Homosexuality is a lot more accepted in the US than in some of these other places. In the US it's a lot more common to have had a personal interaction with someone that you know is gay since it's a lot easier for people to come out of the closet. Otherization of homosexuals is easier in these countries since so many are still closeted, and it's easier to prey on the ignorance of the populace.

It's not surprising. If people are taught that gay people are an insignificant and morally bankrupt set of sexual deviants, and then they never have the opportunity to have a real personal connection with an out-of-the-closet gay person then I think they will tend to hold onto that notion. The gay rights movement in the US was able to educate people, and then also recently able to gain some modicum of success in preventing homophobia from being taught outside of churches. I think these same advances have yet to happen this way in other countries.

Therefore you get a lot of ignorant privileged hetero people out at rallies trying to stop "those fuckers" from stealing "our poo poo."

Eh, depends which part of Europe you're referring to, the continent has widely varied attitudes on the issue. I think people are getting a false impression of France based on a few vocal bigots in the same way that a lot of people over here tend to stereotype Americans as loudmouthed bigots.. There is some vocal opposition but that's the same as in every country, the majority of the population don't seem to be particularly homophobic. I went to visit my boyfriend in France this summer and we felt perfectly comfortable being openly affectionate in public, no one gave us any hassle the whole time we were there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

vickser posted:

Is this ingrained in a machismo-laden culture or is it religious conservatism?

Comparing the Northeast or West Coast to the Southern US is about as good as comparing Sweden to England on Gay's rights to be honest. It's just as unfair to put a blanket on "US conservatism".

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
The President was sworn in today, and he gave his Inaugeral a little while ago. Mostly what you'd expect, but he slipped gay marriage in there:

Barack Hussein Obama posted:

We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths – that all of us are created equal – is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall; just as it guided all those men and women, sung and unsung, who left footprints along this great Mall, to hear a preacher say that we cannot walk alone; to hear a King proclaim that our individual freedom is inextricably bound to the freedom of every soul on Earth.

It is now our generation’s task to carry on what those pioneers began. For our journey is not complete until our wives, our mothers, and daughters can earn a living equal to their efforts. Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law – for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well. Our journey is not complete until no citizen is forced to wait for hours to exercise the right to vote. Our journey is not complete until we find a better way to welcome the striving, hopeful immigrants who still see America as a land of opportunity; until bright young students and engineers are enlisted in our workforce rather than expelled from our country. Our journey is not complete until all our children, from the streets of Detroit to the hills of Appalachia to the quiet lanes of Newtown, know that they are cared for, and cherished, and always safe from harm.

Full transcript here, if you're interested. Probably doesn't mean anything in the long run, but still, a nice gesture.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Marriage stuff is nice but listing Stonewall next to Seneca Falls and Selma is a big loving deal.

RI House committee will vote on the marriage bill tomorrow. It should sail through and things seem relatively on track for a floor vote by the end of January like the Speaker wanted.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Marriage stuff is nice but listing Stonewall next to Seneca Falls and Selma is a big loving deal.

RI House committee will vote on the marriage bill tomorrow. It should sail through and things seem relatively on track for a floor vote by the end of January like the Speaker wanted.

Yea I'm much more proud of him for being the first (unless I missed something?) national leader to acknowledge that Stonewall was more than some uppity queers having a tantrum.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I remain steadfast in my belief that this election will be looked at as a watershed in a ton of social issues by the future.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I remain steadfast in my belief that this election will be looked at as a watershed in a ton of social issues by the future.

Agreed. However you feel about Obama, or whether or not you think anything will actually get done, today was a historic moment.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I get very frustrated when people talk about Obama not doing enough for gay people, and admittedly for a while I was one of those people too, but the dude's done a lot, and has been our first leader to actually endorse gay rights beyond just 'hey gay folk, just a reminder that those Republicans actively hate and want you dead, so lesser of two evils baby!'

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Speaking as a trans woman I have concerns that, along with him not talking about trans people, it'll perpetuate the myth of Stonewall being a white middle-class gay riot. :smith:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

He should have been inclusive but most people don't know what Stonewall was and I think anyone who can describe it beyond "gay NYC riot" knows who was there. Treating it as equal to Seneca Falls and Selma is a good start to get that information out there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

TinTower posted:

Speaking as a trans woman I have concerns that, along with him not talking about trans people, it'll perpetuate the myth of Stonewall being a white middle-class gay riot. :smith:

Im in the same boat but as much as it sucks even the GLB part of the acronym already tends to throw us under the bus when convenient. Trans people are just a harder sell because the idea of physically changing yourself scares people (among other things "oh my god stealth gays!"). Given we're on the cusp of gays actually getting rights, I feel the best course of action is to support that, and when that's handled we have an avenue to proceed.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

He should have been inclusive but most people don't know what Stonewall was and I think anyone who can describe it beyond "gay NYC riot" knows who was there. Treating it as equal to Seneca Falls and Selma is a good start to get that information out there.

Is it bad that I know about Stonewall but I have to go and Wikipedia the other two now? You might be giving Americans too much credit to assume they know any of these, what with our quality public educations, and our deep investigative Kardashian-oriented journalism.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Zero VGS posted:

Is it bad that I know about Stonewall but I have to go and Wikipedia the other two now? You might be giving Americans too much credit to assume they know any of these, what with our quality public educations, and our deep investigative Kardashian-oriented journalism.

It's kinda bad. Every high school history course in this country covers Selma and Seneca Falls. They were massive turning points in black and women's rights.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Teddybear posted:

Every high school history course in this country covers Selma and Seneca Falls.

Absolutely not the case; hell I'm from Massachusetts and I never learned about Seneca Falls

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Riptor posted:

Absolutely not the case; hell I'm from Massachusetts and I never learned about Seneca Falls

Really? That seems... Well I stand corrected, I suppose. I learned about it in high school and I guess I assumed it was more of a staple of US History courses than it apparently is.

(A public school in Massachusetts, too.)

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Zero VGS posted:

I knew about Stonewall and Seneca Falls, but had to Google Selma. My history courses in high school were mostly useless, though.

E: I went to high school in Northeastern PA.

katium fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 22, 2013

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I also went to high school in Mass (granted first two years were at a vocation school) but upon review they either didn't go into detail on these two or didn't mention them at all. Social Studies was one of my better classes too.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

Teddybear posted:

It's kinda bad. Every high school history course in this country covers Selma and Seneca Falls. They were massive turning points in black and women's rights.

Went to public high school in cali, never heard of Selma or Seneca Falls. And like the other poster I know about Stonewall.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We covered Seneca Falls but not Selma or Stonewall. Our coverage of US history post-Depression consisted largely of the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, followed by Forrest Gump.

AP US history, southern California, well-funded public high school.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Chantilly Say posted:

We covered Seneca Falls but not Selma or Stonewall. Our coverage of US history post-Depression consisted largely of the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, followed by Forrest Gump.

AP US history, southern California, well-funded public high school.

Same here, replace AP with IB and southern with northern(ish). It is impressive how terrible history education is in America, even (especially?) in rich, otherwise-intelligent parts of the nation.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, that is very much NOT the case. The only reason I know about Seneca Falls is cuz the Distillers' song of the same name.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Any history class that isn't taken at a college is very likely almost worthless. AP History included.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Man, I had a pretty good history teacher then. I'll gladly walk that back and say that it's something that really should be taught in every US history course.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Teddybear posted:

I'll gladly walk that back and say that it's something that really should be taught in every US history course.

Won't argue about that, although to be fair there is a LOT of stuff that should be required to be taught in history class that isn't

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I grew up in mass and know Seneca falls and Selma, but I've never heard of stonewall.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Teddybear posted:

Man, I had a pretty good history teacher then. I'll gladly walk that back and say that it's something that really should be taught in every US history course.

Me too. My high school history wasn't all inclusive, but I remember we paid enough attention to all three events that I know wha they are and their importance to their respective movements.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I learned and knew enough for the test: Seneca Falls = convention on women's rights. I don't know anything else about it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I just had to look them all up. :smith:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think the first time I saw "Stonewall" written in a textbook was in an intro-level Criminal Justice course in college, in a chapter on civil rights.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

This was the first I'd heard of Stonewall :negative:

But then my teachers never actually made it to the 20th century in American history. Always got stuck in Reconstruction and fizzled out around the Depression. Also I come from a place where nobody was going to mention Stonewall for fear of being tied to a truck.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
If you're not familiar with Seneca Falls, please take a moment to read the Seneca Falls Declaration. It's really something.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hangedman1984 posted:

Yeah, that is very much NOT the case. The only reason I know about Seneca Falls is cuz the Distillers' song of the same name.

A most excellent song indeed.

I learned about none of the three events in history class. My high school's history class was basically "Summary of Great American War Victories, also Vietnam was a bad idea."

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp
I never really realized at the time how lucky I was to have a history teacher that was an ex investment banker that lost it all on black Monday and decided to teach US history with a leftist/progressive bend. Covered all three of those and spent a month on The Jungle.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It was the first I'd heard of Seneca Falls and Selma, but after coming out I took time to read up on Stonewall so I knew about that. Once again an excellent speech from Obama, and a historic moment to be sure.

Also, the Rhode Island House Committee unanimously passed the same-sex marriage bill, 11-0. It's the first time a marriage bill advanced apparently. The full House is expected to take up the bill Thursday.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
People are being way too blasé about yesterday's speech. The president of the United States equivocated gay rights to the civil rights and women's rights movement. This is a Big Deal.

Christ remember 8 years ago when W made it a wedge issue to earn reelection? I think that's a hell of a turn around.

Come to think of it, did Mittens even touch the "big bad gays" drum this cycle? That's telling to me.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

People are being way too blasé about yesterday's speech. The president of the United States equivocated gay rights to the civil rights and women's rights movement. This is a Big Deal.

Christ remember 8 years ago when W made it a wedge issue to earn reelection? I think that's a hell of a turn around.

Come to think of it, did Mittens even touch the "big bad gays" drum this cycle? That's telling to me.

The only thing I know Mitt said about gay rights was that they maybe should be allowed in the boy scouts. Not quite equating the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement I know, but for a Mormon (they are like 99.9% of the reason why gays can't be scouts in the first place) that's kinda big I guess.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mitt signed the federal marriage amendment pledge and said your standard awful stuff, but it was not a general election campaign issue.

The most notable moments for gay rights in the campaign were Obama endorsing marriage and the time when Mitt stumbled upon a recently married couple thinking he could get a quick photo op with two old men in VFW caps at a NH diner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
I used to think Mitt wasn't as bad as Santorum on LGBT rights. Then I saw this:

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/09/11/831201/romneys-insensitivity-to-lgbt-people-i-didnt-know-you-had-families/

and this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelangelo-signorile/romney-some-gays-are-actu_b_2022314.html

Granted Santorum is still an rear end in a top hat:

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/01/07/399942/santorum-tells-kids-with-gay-parents-youd-be-better-off-with-parents-in-prison/

• Locked thread