Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jpg
Feb 21, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

So I got my super everdrive in the mail the other day, and its awesome. Mostly.

I'm getting some really weird glitches, and I'm not sure if it is because of the SD card, the ROMs (doubt it), the everdrive itself, or the SNES. Stuff like Jaki Crush - when I use tilt, the game basically just stops working - everything moves normally, except the ball. The ball only moves as I tilt the table, and doesnt interact with the flippers. Another weird one is Actraiser - after I beat the Fillmore boss my name changes to random letters and I get vertical bars across the top of the screen. This happens in both the original and the translated Japanese version (on that note, man the J version is a lot harder). There are other oddities and glitches as well I'm wondering if anyone else who has one has experienced anything like this.

Another thing to note is that the SNES seems to have something rattling around in it. Not sure if that could contribute. I can't open it until the gamebits I ordered show up, so not sure what's in there. One game I have (LttP) also glitches out, but I always figured that was the cart.

Also posting on the everdrive forums, but thought I'd ask here too.

I have a Super Everdrive and completed Actraiser fairly recently for the Retro Game Challenge thread, without experiencing any glitches. To me it sounds like there's possibly some crap in/on your cartridge slot inside your SNES, so I'd give that a good clean before doing anything else.

The fact that it happens on multiple carts definitely makes it sound like it's a problem with the SNES itself.

e: Actually I could make Actraiser glitch using the translated Japanese ROM if I used wheat on the same field twice, but it never did it to the US ROM. It would cause the game to freeze briefly and the water sprites in the sea would get slightly corrupt, but I assume it was an issue with the translation patch.

e2: Yeah, it's an issue with the translated ROM, I just tried it on Bsnes with my save file and it does the same thing, displays a load of the wrong dialog that expands outside of the text box area, freezes, and causes the ocean sprite to glitch.

jpg fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Thanks to this thread, I am hunting for flat screen CRTs. I've found three so far in my hunt: two 32" Sony Trinitrons and a 24" Toshiba. I think one of the Sonys was a WEGA.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

Something came in the mail today...

Ooooh... what's it got on there? Some kind of cool, rare exclusive?

Derby Stallion? :roflolmao:

Well, at least it's an exclusive to that format...

flyboi posted:

This is why collecting is useless in this town:

So here's a craigslist ad from the rear end in a top hat cosignment company. Look at Ninja Gaiden Trilogy. Note the price and the markings.
http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/vgm/3563407990.html

Craigslist! :argh:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Allow me to one-up you: http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/vgm/3501812990.html

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.

Technowrite posted:

Thanks to this thread, I am hunting for flat screen CRTs. I've found three so far in my hunt: two 32" Sony Trinitrons and a 24" Toshiba. I think one of the Sonys was a WEGA.

Get the WEGA and use at least S-video :iia:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

This is why collecting is useless in this town:

So here's a craigslist ad from the rear end in a top hat cosignment company. Look at Ninja Gaiden Trilogy. Note the price and the markings.
http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/vgm/3563407990.html

Here's the donor carts I purchased from the local used game store:

It's their cataloging system they use to track cartridges. Let's see how much he paid for that game:

gently caress this town, I'm just going to get copiers for each system.

You are like a P.I. of video game stuff. That's incredible.

Pretty amazing the place was selling the game for that cheap though.

flyboi posted:

Something came in the mail today...

Why it's a Nintendo Power SFC flash cart from Japan! People in Japan could purchase these and take them to kiosks to have them flashed with various games. It has 7 slots 4mbit each and games would take up certain amounts. There was also some exclusives that you could only get on the kiosk such as a Fire Emblem game, some majong games aaaaaand

Derby Stallion 98! A lovely horse sim because Japan loves horse racing.

I had hoped to get this, rip the roms off it and perhaps see if I could add the other exclusives to this cartridge, unfortunately I can't seem to find a data sheet on the rom although I should theoretically be able to flash them as the GQ-4X does support 29F160 chips

Edit: something interesting to the design of this cartridge I haven't seen in others:

There is a pin inside the case that makes contact with this large copper pad which likely was used in some way with the flash kiosks as they likely needed more grounding for the flashing process.

This is fascinating :allears:

You ever get yourself a Satellaview?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Honestly that's probably the case. The Anthology ports were done by the TOSE clowns. Hell, CT's English release has the English text ASM-patched onto the game as it runs. It's a disgusting mess, really.

I think people are getting bored by me going on with this subject but why was this so lazily ported? I would imagine Square still has the source code. The PSX ports came out like a measly 3 or so years after the SNES ones.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I finally get my genesis 1 and sega cd powered up only to have it not eject.

:argh:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ambitious Spider posted:

I finally get my genesis 1 and sega cd powered up only to have it not eject.

:argh:

:( I really want a Model 1 Sega CD but moving parts cause this exact fear in me.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish I would have been around when a middle-school friend sold off his Sega CDX...especially once I learned how rare they were... :gonk:

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I did actually appreciate the effort on the dbz style Chrono Trigger cutscenes, and to a lesser extent, the FFVI cutscenes, but the games really are unplayable compared to the original releases. It's pretty bad.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

kynikos posted:

If anyone is looking to replace their floppy N64 controller joystick, I recently purchased this guy on eBay and it works great so far. It's a bit shorter and snappier that the stock version; more like a GameCube joystick. Replacing it was pretty easy and it was interesting to see the innards of an N64 controller.

I thought I heard that these were less than ideal due to making it harder to make small movements, like creeping/walking in SM64 and the like. Or something, I forget what the complaint was. But I've still been thinking of getting one anyway, just because I want to make some use of my older controller's sticks again, which were more or less wrung out totally due to years of using them.

jpg posted:

I have a Super Everdrive and completed Actraiser fairly recently for the Retro Game Challenge thread

Got a link to this?

I remember either in this thread or skimming the old one long ago an idea for like a book club for retro games, where people would endeavor to play through one particular of them around the same time so it could be discussed. I wondered if anything ever came of that, or if the thread you mention evolved from that idea.

Edit: ^^^ Maybe one of those crazy "Flashcarts with super memory you can fit FMVs on" projects is going to result in getting the actual SNES games but with the PSX cutscenes someday.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Orange Mage posted:

I wish I would have been around when a middle-school friend sold off his Sega CDX...especially once I learned how rare they were... :gonk:

Are they really that rare? I have one just sitting around that I don't use and if you really want one message me. Taking a quick look at ebay all the ones on offer right now are way overpriced...

It's nice to save a power adapter space for playing CD 32X games though, I have to say.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Install Gentoo posted:

Are they really that rare? I have one just sitting around that I don't use and if you really want one message me. Taking a quick look at ebay all the ones on offer right now are way overpriced...

It's nice to save a power adapter space for playing CD 32X games though, I have to say.

Oh, man... if he doesn't take you up on it, I will.

I've never owned a Genesis, full stop.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Midnight Raider posted:

I thought I heard that these were less than ideal due to making it harder to make small movements, like creeping/walking in SM64 and the like. Or something, I forget what the complaint was. But I've still been thinking of getting one anyway, just because I want to make some use of my older controller's sticks again, which were more or less wrung out totally due to years of using them.

Got a link to this?

I remember either in this thread or skimming the old one long ago an idea for like a book club for retro games, where people would endeavor to play through one particular of them around the same time so it could be discussed. I wondered if anything ever came of that, or if the thread you mention evolved from that idea.

Edit: ^^^ Maybe one of those crazy "Flashcarts with super memory you can fit FMVs on" projects is going to result in getting the actual SNES games but with the PSX cutscenes someday.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512313

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Alright, is there any known issues with SNES' eating AC adapters? My original stopped working about two years ago, I bought a replacement, and now the replacement is not working. I've used the adapters on both a model 1 and model 2 (I somehow lost one of the original adapters one of the like 20 times I've moved). Is there a reason for this, or am I just getting poo poo luck?

All I wanna do is play Pokemon Blue on my Super GameBoy :qq:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cannot Find Server posted:

Alright, is there any known issues with SNES' eating AC adapters? My original stopped working about two years ago, I bought a replacement, and now the replacement is not working. I've used the adapters on both a model 1 and model 2 (I somehow lost one of the original adapters one of the like 20 times I've moved). Is there a reason for this, or am I just getting poo poo luck?

All I wanna do is play Pokemon Blue on my Super GameBoy :qq:

Living in the same place? Using the same plug? Your power source could be a probable issue.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Living in the same place? Using the same plug? Your power source could be a probable issue.

Not even slightly. I haven't lived in the same house for more than 2 years at a time at any point in my life.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

This is fascinating :allears:

You ever get yourself a Satellaview?

I did, but they're too expensive for something so useless. That cart was $6 while a Satellaview can run up to $150 for something that has 0 use today

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

I did, but they're too expensive for something so useless. That cart was $6 while a Satellaview can run up to $150 for something that has 0 use today

Looking cool is not useless :colbert:

Fishmech give me your CDX and I will name my 2nd child after you.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

elf help book posted:

:( I really want a Model 1 Sega CD but moving parts cause this exact fear in me.

My model one exploded my beautiful Trinitron. Also because of moving parts I sure as poo poo would never put my copy of Lunar in it. Another reason I need to go find a model 2. I really wanted to make a huge tower of Sega though. I was thinking Model 1 Sega CD, Model 1 Genesis, Game Genie, Sonic and Knuckles, random Sonic game.

zenintrude posted:

We all know how this will end: someone is gonna lose a fingat.

I've got the NES completely ripped apart, the board and everything are pretty small. Still scouring my house trying to find some wacky thing to put the naked NES into.

Also holy hell, only in the retro thread will you find someone being all "Yea man I've got a CDX, it's whatever, you want it?"

Calling third dibs on that thing.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
CDX love in the house. :3: If anyone ELSE ends up with an extra, I'm buying. I'm also looking for the PCE Duo R but I'll probably end up buying from hkgamedoctor or whatever that site's name is. I had a friend who had a CDX and it was the coolest poo poo ever... but I have a Sega CD FMV addiction. :blush:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

poo poo. If I knew that you wanted a CDX, I would have sold you one on the cheap. Sadly I sold off all of my Sega gear last spring.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lunaris posted:

I really wanted to make a huge tower of Sega though. I was thinking Model 1 Sega CD, Model 1 Genesis, Game Genie, Sonic and Knuckles, random Sonic game.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I've told this story before in IRC, but I got a Sega CDX at launch for my birthday ( :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: thanks mom!) and carted that thing around with me everywhere. It was my first portable CD player so of course when we took trips it went with me on the airplane. Which also meant I got to play Genesis games in NYC on my great aunt's terrible black and white TV :rock: I played through a bunch of Garfield Caught in the Act and Beyond Oasis on that thing, haha.

Anyway, when I was in late middle school (1996-7) I tried to trade it in to Funcoland (remember Funcoland?) and they offered me a whopping $15 value for it. We bought it from a Good Guys here in California (remember Good Guys? :v: ) and we had a warranty on it so I took it in to get serviced.

They lost it. And offered me full retail value (something like $399 or maybe more) for it.

What did I turn it in to?

A Zip drive!

:saddowns:

In other news, my Rakuten order arrived!

Chrono Trigger and Front Mission boxes are near loving mint (except for the Rakuten price sticker on the back, noooooooo). Coincidentally I thought I was ordering Mega Man X and that the DKC3 came with a box but whatever, gamessssss. The rest of the boxes are in pretty good shape. I haven't dug into all of them yet.

The CT box also has an insert talking about the Satellavision with a cute little comic. Not that I read Japanese. An excuse to pick up where my high school and first year college class left off?

So excited to be playing around with my SFC now!!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I reject your Sega CDX. The JVC X'Eye supremacy forever.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'd care more about keeping the CDX if I didn't already have a Laseractive with MegaDrive PAC and a model 2 Genesis + model 2 sega cd + 32x setup.
:v: Basically I'm thinking around $50-$60 with shipping included depending on where the person lives, and throwing in a controller and lovely game or two. Oh and 32X is included in there because I have too many of those and making someone pay for a 32x is ripping them off. It does work with the CDX despite what Sega told people.

But yeah I'll keep track of the dibsing.

For you I offer the chance to take my Atarimax Ultimate SD Colecovision flash cart where the sd card slot was knocked off the board and try to repair it. You can keep the flash cart when you're done 'cuz my Colecovision died so it's useless to me anyway. Just give me like $3 to mail it and it's yours.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah but could you cart that onto an airplane to listen to CDs!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Install Gentoo posted:

I'd care more about keeping the CDX if I didn't already have a Laseractive with MegaDrive PAC and a model 2 Genesis + model 2 sega cd + 32x setup.
:v: Basically I'm thinking around $50-$60 with shipping included depending on where the person lives, and throwing in a controller and lovely game or two. Oh and 32X is included in there because I have too many of those and making someone pay for a 32x is ripping them off. It does work with the CDX despite what Sega told people.

Now to hope that The Orange Mage somehow never comes back to the thread! :v:

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's an ugly console. But I love it so. I got mine with a bunch of awful Sega CD games for $40 back in 1998. I don't regret it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Install Gentoo posted:

:wasup:

LaserActive member represent! Shame there's no way to up the quality of the thing.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Wisdom.

I've been recently debating selling my mint/complete unit to a good home since when I get set up again, I'll probably go full emulation anyways (since thanks to this thread, I now know everything will look like poo poo unless I buy an XRGB Mini).

It's really the only thing I still want to keep though. Lotta good memories. I'm so confused!!

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I'm actually looking for a cheap 32x for my model 1 setup if anyone has one. I kinda put it on the backburner after seeing ebay and amazon prices but I've still have a weird need to play Star Wars 32X.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

The Joe Man posted:

Wisdom.

I've been recently debating selling my mint/complete unit to a good home since when I get set up again, I'll probably go full emulation anyways (since thanks to this thread, I now know everything will look like poo poo unless I buy an XRGB Mini).

It's really the only thing I still want to keep though. Lotta good memories. I'm so confused!!

I'll say it like everyone else. Don't do it. You'll only regret it.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also Dear Japan: Whatever you use for your price stick labeling technology, please share it with the rest of the world, because the stickers you stuck onto the CARDBOARD BOXES of my SFC games peeled off like a dream and left no residue.

Seriously why am I struggling getting poo poo off of my PS2/DS/3DS/whatever games at Gamestop when this poo poo is easy as pie? loving American game store companies :argh:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

RadicalR posted:

I'll say it like everyone else. Don't do it. You'll only regret it.

Not regretting selling this. :smug:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Not regretting selling this. :smug:

I really should get on with putting mine up in sa mart

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

kirbysuperstar posted:

Holy poo poo that's a lot of Sonic & Knuckles!

I saw that and instead of being appalled I was inspired.

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm not going to question why you have a bunch of 32X's, but if you want to unload a working one, PM me.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

zenintrude posted:

Now to hope that The Orange Mage somehow never comes back to the thread! :v:

I'm still alive, but I just woke up from a nap and then went to work for the night, so I don't have easy access to PMs but I'll get back to Install Gentoo (the user, not the action performed on a PC) in the morning. As someone whose retro past/childhood involves a 2600 and NES hooked up via RF, a bad model 2 Genesis, and all hooked up to a bad TV, I can't pass up the opportunity of some good Sega action. :cool:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seeing people's Craigslist horrorshows makes me feel better for my lack of deals here ($50 for Bubble Bobble NES cart only :gonk: ). Big cities have too many people in the know.

StellarX posted:

I'm actually looking for a cheap 32x for my model 1 setup if anyone has one. I kinda put it on the backburner after seeing ebay and amazon prices but I've still have a weird need to play Star Wars 32X.

Funnily enough, I screwed up on eBay and will be ending up with two 32xes soon, although I only have 1 set of cables between them. I'm waiting to receive everything until I know what exactly I have (it's possible one of the 32xes doesn't work).

Now all I need is a Sega CD, Sega Saturn, TG16 and TGCD and I think that'll be it for me, my wife's starting to make threats and I'm likely going to have to cull eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lunaris posted:

I'm not going to question why you have a bunch of 32X's, but if you want to unload a working one, PM me.

Local Goodwill, oddly enough. I'll contact you if I want to get rid of the other one I suppose.

The Orange Mage posted:

I'm still alive, but I just woke up from a nap and then went to work for the night, so I don't have easy access to PMs but I'll get back to Install Gentoo (the user, not the action performed on a PC) in the morning. As someone whose retro past/childhood involves a 2600 and NES hooked up via RF, a bad model 2 Genesis, and all hooked up to a bad TV, I can't pass up the opportunity of some good Sega action. :cool:

No problem man!

• Locked thread