Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Veler
Dec 26, 2012
Hey everyone. I'm looking for an LP of Eternal Darkness on GC. I looked on the LP Archives site but didn't see it. Would any of you recommend to me a good (complete) run-through of this game? I found one or two through googling but nothing I was too happy with. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

The Veler posted:

Hey everyone. I'm looking for an LP of Eternal Darkness on GC. I looked on the LP Archives site but didn't see it. Would any of you recommend to me a good (complete) run-through of this game? I found one or two through googling but nothing I was too happy with. Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL81EF72708BA313B1

That's the playlist for the one that was done on SA, which is listed on the master list but was never archived.

The Veler
Dec 26, 2012

Niggurath posted:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL81EF72708BA313B1

That's the playlist for the one that was done on SA, which is listed on the master list but was never archived.

Greatly appreciated!

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
It sounds rude, and I promise I don't intend for it to be, but I typically put LPs on to take naps to, like having the TV on to sleep. v:shobon:v

But I also enjoy a really good or interesting story when I pay attention, like supergreatfriend's Deadly Premonition or, recently, Niggurath's great play of Rule of Rose. Are there any more chill LPs of awesome story-driven games I can queue up in the evenings?

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

MNSNTZR posted:

It sounds rude, and I promise I don't intend for it to be, but I typically put LPs on to take naps to, like having the TV on to sleep. v:shobon:v

But I also enjoy a really good or interesting story when I pay attention, like supergreatfriend's Deadly Premonition or, recently, Niggurath's great play of Rule of Rose. Are there any more chill LPs of awesome story-driven games I can queue up in the evenings?

The Void gets recommended as an insomnia aid a lot.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

MNSNTZR posted:

I really found Nidoking's LP of the Space Quest series very chill for a very story driven comedic adventure game series: http://lparchive.org/Space-Quest-Collection-(Video)/ . Also Nidoking is always super informative and consistently entertaining. Also always like to throw out a recommendation for BobbinThreadbare's LP's such as Thief or Day of the Tentacle.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Paper Lion posted:

Does no one have this uploaded anywhere? It's been months:smith:

I do have a copy of the last peggle video but I have no idea where to upload it :shobon:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm not sure how to do this without making it seem like I'm pimping my own thread, but here goes nothin'.

I'd like to recommend Silver Falcon's runthrough of Final Fantasy IV DS version. It's her first ever SSLP and she's doing a really good job and is showing off pretty much everything. She's got a good style for it, too, and her updates are a lot of fun to read.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Space Bat posted:

I do have a copy of the last peggle video but I have no idea where to upload it :shobon:
Youtube should be fine for this. Just make sure you verify your account first if you don't have the privilege to upload videos over 15 minutes and you'll be okay.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Well maybe not exactly a Let's Play, Beaglerush's on-going iron man impossible runs are very entertaining. Funny, informative, and infinitely better edited then 90% of current X-Com videos which are usually terrible hour long, live commentary dirges.

I'm not sure how confusing these are to non-players but if you've played the new X-Com or are planning to, definitely check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXctaw5JGF4LcidFVdkQMV1tc2DfC8x3D

Seconding this. The edits are excellent and give the gameplay a smooth flow (which is rare as hell in a turn-based strategy LP), the commentary is informative and entertaining, and playing the new XCOM on Ironman Impossible mode is absolutely brutal so it's interesting to see how he tackles it.

Avocados posted:

Looking for a funny screenshot LP about any game really. Bonus points if it at least explains what's going on for people who just walked in oblivious to the game or genre. It doesn't have to be serious either in the sense of playing the game it was supposed to be played. It can be playing the game with a gimmick or handicap.

Didja Redo just finished his LP of Avalon Code which is one of the best SSLPs I've ever read and it sounds like it might be just what you're looking for.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

While you should definitely read the Avalon Code LP, it's not actually finished yet. The core narrative of it is, but he still has more "Real Deal" updates to do (read: how the game is before his rewrites), and at least one more boss video.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
So I just finished re-reading the Icewind Dale 2 LP in the archive, and I want to find other good narrative-driven humorous screen-shot LPs like that to kill time in between classes. Got any recommendations?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SWMadness posted:

So I just finished re-reading the Icewind Dale 2 LP in the archive, and I want to find other good narrative-driven humorous screen-shot LPs like that to kill time in between classes. Got any recommendations?

Well, there is the ongoing Old Republic lp. Its more of a general good read because of how the 4 people who are playing handle it. You've got Lamadar and Poptartsninja who are pretty snarky and funny, then you've got Moon Slayer and Catsworth who are running it a bit more straight but no less entertaining.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SWMadness posted:

If you haven't read Shadow Catboy's Planescape: Torment LP you'll want to. It's not strictly funny, but there's some fantastic moments in there, and it's, like, a bajillion parts long, so it'll keep you going for a while.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Brainamp posted:

Well, there is the ongoing Old Republic lp. Its more of a general good read because of how the 4 people who are playing handle it. You've got Lamadar and Poptartsninja who are pretty snarky and funny, then you've got Moon Slayer and Catsworth who are running it a bit more straight but no less entertaining.

I actually recommended that previously in this thread. But yeah, I'm following it and loving it to bits.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I want another LP like Xaiter's excellent The Binding of Isaac LP. Preferably another roguelike.

Any suggestions are more than welcome, I haven't found one that scratches the same itch for a while now.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'll go ahead and self-fellate

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459667

You need archives but my short roguelike megathread has 10 or so roguelike LPs in it of varying length. All done in glorious video.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430017

Also requiring archives is my ADOM thread. ADOM is a roguelike in the style of nethack but much much harder and less forgiving. It's a fantastic game that I've put hundreds of hours into and I think I did a pretty good job on the LP as well. It's a screenshot LP but of the two roguelike threads I've done I think ADOM is the more complete and respectable work. Especially the playthrough of 'Bard' which is just a fantastic thing of beauty. It was my first LP so the first few updates I'm still finding the swing of things. Read them if you want to know in depth mechanics since most of that is explained there, if you just want to follow the craziness that is ADOM start off with reading the Bard playthrough as thats the best one both in LP ability and content.

If you don't have archives there are some good nethack LPs up on lparchive.org you could check out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

SWMadness posted:

I haven't read that LP, so I don't know whether it's similar, but I'd recommend ddegenha's Seiken Densetsu 3 LP. The first few updates are written fairly straight, with a touch of cynicism, but what I really enjoyed about it was all the extra characterization for the cast. It was very well done, and added a lot, even on the second and third playthroughs. I'm not usually a big fan of SSLPs, but this one held my interest all the way through, in spite of the fact that I'd played through it before.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SWMadness posted:

I did a search of the LP archive using those three tags. I definitely recommend that top three on that list. :v:

More specifically, though, anything by Nakar or Didja Redo, really. Didja Redo just finished a fantastic LP of Avalon Code, but that was more dramatic than funny. Well-written, though.

I recall Jerusalem's GTA: San Andreas LP to be pretty funny a lot of the time, although it also strays into drama quite a few times as well.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I've got myself a nice reading list now. :dance:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
Hey, if anyone's motivated, it'd be great if someone put together an "insomnia LP recommendation" post that aggregates most of the popular recommendations. Seems like that question comes up all the time, and it'd be nice to have something we can just point to as a starting point.

Edit:

Agent355 posted:

I'll go ahead and self-fellate

Please don't. I'll admit that your thread does fulfill what they were asking for, but please let's not open this can of worms. This is the only thing in the OP that I really consider to be a rule.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 24, 2013

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

Proteus4994 posted:

insomnia LP recommendation

To get things started with the insomnia ones, I'll link the obvious one that everyone seems to know: http://lparchive.org/The-Void/
But I'd also like to throw out a personal favorite as far as sleepy-but-awesome LP's go, and I find it super chill and relaxing: http://lparchive.org/Return-to-Zork/

Suspicious Dish posted:

This is great even if you don't want to fall asleep, too.

Hampooj posted:

Yes, I don't mean to imply that any of them are bad LP's by any means. I think they're all excellent. I just find them all very easy to fall asleep to. They are definitely awesome and actually worthwhile to watch or listen and pay attention to.

But for the purposes of the insomnia/LP question, I find these all very easy to fall asleep to because they aren't loud and obnoxious with tons of explosions and gunfire and screaming, etc etc. And the commentary is usually pretty chill and of decent quality. That's pretty much my pre-requisites for napping with an LP on.

LP's to fall asleep to

CannibalK9's The Void - Very atmospheric and incredibly surreal. Surreal low-key commentary as well, very fitting.
Xaiter's Return to Zork - A pretty chill game with very relaxing commentary.
Haller's Alan Wake - This is subtitled but the game has a ton of dialogue all the time, and it's all great.
davidspackage's Hopkins FBI - loving insane adventure game, great editing and commentary. Pretty chill too.
davidspackage's Stonekeep - Another great one from davidspackage. A very interesting dungeon-crawling adventure/rpg Eye of the Beholder-type of game.
Thief 1
Thief 2
Thief 3 - All three Thief games done by Bobbin Threadbare. Very atmospheric FPS stealth games, low-key commentary, pretty awesome voice acting and interesting storytelling.
supergreatfriend's Spy Fiction - A stealth action trainwreck of a game but sgf does it well.
Twin PeaksDeadly Premonition - SGF seemed to put this game on the radar of many people. It's basically Twin Peaks, the video game, as done by Japan. Great editing and commentary by SGF make this insane game even better.
Skippy Granola's Stacking - A really unique game with a really unique style. Matryoshka doll's (Russian nesting dolls) make this game very odd, but super charming and interesting :3:. Skippy Granola does it justice.
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4 - SH2,3,4 done by Niggurath. Very low-key commentary of a pretty hosed up franchise. Pretty relaxing and chill overall, though. Just ignore the bleeding walls and nightmare monsters.
Magnetic North's Ripleys Believe It or Not - Subtitled LP but loads of voice-acting in this old point-and-click adventure game make it a pretty awesome experience.
toddy.'s Puzzle Agent - Another point and click adventure/puzzle game with charming voice acting and pretty chill commentary by toddy.
WilliamLongfellow's Pilotwings - SNES psuedo flight-sim game. The entire game is basically just one big relaxing joyrideflight where you just glide among the clouds. Great relaxing commentary, as well.
Ambisagrus's Pilotwings 64 - 64-bits of probably one of the single most chill game on the n64. Easy listening all around.
Johnny Law's Myth: The Fallen Lords - Amazing 90s real-time tactics game, and surprisingly a very interesting LP to watch and listen to. It has a pretty awesome story and voice acting, and Johnny Law has great commentary to go with it.
Sevron's Myth 2: Soulblighter - The sequel to Myth 1, done in a similar fashion to Johnny Law and it's done very well. Equally great voice-acting and storytelling in the game, and great commentary.
Sevron's Myth:2 Chimera - A fan-made official expansion to Myth 2. Sevron does it just as well as the main game.
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - All done by Chip Cheezum & General Ironicus. Pretty insane games, storywise. Super informative and usually pretty funny commentary that doesn't get obnoxious. The games themselves are almost like movies though, so I find them easy to fall asleep watching/listening to.
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6 - :megaman::megaman:loving Mega Mans everywhere:megaman::megaman: All done by Simply Simon. Mega informative, mega relaxing, mega chill. MEGA MEN. Awesome series.
Loom - Another by Bobbin Threadbare; also incredibly chill, especially with the inclusion of the entirety of swan lake as backing music. - Recommended by The Archaic Man
Psymonkey's Kirby's Dream Course is basically a lullaby. I have fallen asleep to it several times. - Recommended by CommaToes and Popo
Kirby's Epic Yarn with Medibot and Mynameiskaz is pretty low key. - Recommended by Bobbin Threadbare

That's all I can think of without going through the entire archive list or backtracking a dozen pages in the thread. If anyone can think of more just post it and I can add it to my list, or make your own, whatever :v:

e: added the suggestions below. Keep suggesting more and I'll add them as well :)

Hampooj fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 24, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any good Mount & Blade: Warband Lp's going around? Couldn't find anything in the LP Archive

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Hampooj posted:

davidspackage's Hopkins FBI - loving insane adventure game, great editing and commentary. Pretty chill too.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Turtlicious posted:

Any good Mount & Blade: Warband Lp's going around? Couldn't find anything in the LP Archive

There have been none that I'm aware of, outside one really terrible attempt. The game lends itself to a narrative lp, but not much else.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yes, I don't mean to imply that any of them are bad LP's by any means. I think they're all excellent. I just find them all very easy to fall asleep to. They are definitely awesome and actually worthwhile to watch or listen and pay attention to.

But for the purposes of the insomnia/LP question, I find these all very easy to fall asleep to because they aren't loud and obnoxious with tons of explosions and gunfire and screaming, etc etc. And the commentary is usually pretty chill and of decent quality. That's pretty much my pre-requisites for napping with an LP on.

The Archaic Man
Nov 20, 2010
Bobbin's Loom LP is also incredibly chill, especially with the inclusion of the entirety of swan lake as backing music.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Psymonkey's Kirby's Dream Course is basically a lullaby. I have fallen asleep to it several times.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

CommaToes posted:

Psymonkey's Kirby's Dream Course is basically a lullaby. I have fallen asleep to it several times.

Seconding this. It's super chill, has a cute little meta plot just to add a bit more humour and interest and uses a CYOA mechanic really nicely at some points. A really solid little LP. Shame Psy's Glover LP died and he disappeared.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Related to that, Kirby's Epic Yarn with Medibot and Mynameiskaz is pretty low key.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Are there any good Crusader Kings II or EUIII threads going on? Aside from Wiz's superthread I mean.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Are there any good Crusader Kings II or EUIII threads going on? Aside from Wiz's superthread I mean.

There's the exploration into the Steppe Wolf mod if you're interested in the rather insane mod.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

There's the exploration into the Steppe Wolf mod if you're interested in the rather insane mod.

This thread is great just so we can see the insanity of Steppe Wolf without having to ya know, play Steppe Wolf. However it's not a good thread if you want to see a serious take on EUIII

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Turtlicious posted:

There was one in one of the Short Game Theater threads, I can't remember who played it but it would be listed in the OP.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Jade Star played it but I believe it was just the original M&B.

Edit: I just checked the short game theater 3 thread and it seems that Viddler ate all of the M&B videos.

Marcade fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 25, 2013

Plan of Action
Sep 3, 2011
Are there any games with good characterization where the LPer mainly analyzes the story, characters, etc?

Plan of Action fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 25, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Plan of Action posted:

Are there any games with good characterization where the LPer mainly analyzes the story, characters, etc?

Well, Brainweasel did a terrific job with Final Fantasy X-2.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Marcade posted:

Edit: I just checked the short game theater 3 thread and it seems that Viddler ate all of the M&B videos.

He has the originals and will upload them to youtube, hopefully within the decade.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Plan of Action posted:

NIER and The Void do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

GuavaMoment posted:

He has the originals and will upload them to youtube, hopefully within the decade.

God drat it I hate you guava.... Fiiiine I'll start putting Mount and Blade on Youtube.

Though for information it was a modded M&B, using Game extender 3 or something like that. It radically altered the equipment prerequisites and stat growth and so on. So it wasn't much like you'd get going in vanilla.

• Locked thread