Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Gaz-L posted:

Couple that with actors who've never used a controller before, and you get what we normally see.

Plus, as anyone who's tried to do live commentary can attest, it turns out to be somewhat difficult to talk coherently and play a video game at the same time. Now imagine trying to, well, act and play a video game at the same time. At least, that was the explanation that some "gamer actress" gave on her blog about why people playing video games on TV generally just mash buttons.

Which, considering that most shows can't even get people driving cars to look realistic, seems like it makes sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

It's only fair to tell you,
I'm absolutely cuckoo.

Let's Play Metal Storm, or, I try to do at 28 what I couldn't do when I was 10.

As was previously mentioned by a poster in this thread, this is a game with a gravity mechanic somewhat similar to VVVVVV, and one of the more underrated games for the NES despite being a bit bland at times. It does make up for that with tight controls, some creative uses of the game mechanics and a pretty cool if repetitive soundtrack. Another thing it has is an alternative expert mode of the game which is loving brutal. It completely changes a lot of the stage layouts, adds in dickish and sometimes just nonsensical enemy placement, and makes you want to kill yourself before you ever hear this again. So let's get started. I'm scared.

:siren: VIDEOS :siren:

Part 1 - The Easy Part of the Easy Part - YouTube (normal mode stages 1-3)
Part 2 - Ancient Greek Wonkavators and R-Type Rejects - YouTube (normal mode stages 4-5)
Part 3 - The End! Nothing more to see here, folks! - YouTube (normal mode stages 6-7)
Part 4 - That Wasn't So Bad! :haw: - YouTube (expert mode stage 1)
Part 5 - Abrupt Change In Tone - YouTube (expert mode stage 2)

Tomapella fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 6, 2013

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
I actually played through Metal Storm after someone mentioned it, and I'd say that if you don't have the more damaging shots the third boss can actually become a problem after a while. The lasers aren't in sync with the boss' movement, so if you take too long you have to start moving earlier or you will get trapped.

I'm looking forward to seeing you take this game apart! :)

Irem made R-type, right? So there's a precedent for untold levels of bullshit.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

IREM is such a great developer. Also by them, one of the other hardest NES games never released in America, Holy Diver.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Dectilon posted:

You have no idea. Seriously. You have no idea how bullshit this expert mode gets if you aren't playing it yourself. I look forward to seeing the torture from levels 2 and 4. :getin:

Actually you could have made the easy part even easier. All three of these bosses can be hilariously cheesed. The first has a blind spot from which you can fire safely and never have to dodge a thing; the second if you have the powershot you can just destroy one parrot (... I called them parrots when I was a kid) and hang over the edge to shoot the rest without getting hit; and the third, if you stand in just the right spot directly below it, the satellites around it will never hit you and you can just fire at will.

... Actually you could hilariously cheese any of these by just finding a blind spot and not doing a thing for five minutes, they will self-destruct if you wait long enough :v:

EDIT -- I forgot to say, it weirds me out to see the American version of this being played. I have a Japanese copy which actually has an FMV in the beginning with the actual story to this, a lot of the colors are different, the ending is different and one level is made more frustratingly difficult. If I was any good at computers I'd throw a video together to show off the difference.

Reverend Cheddar fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 31, 2013

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

I'm absolutely cuckoo.

Reverend Cheddar posted:

You have no idea. Seriously. You have no idea how bullshit this expert mode gets if you aren't playing it yourself. I look forward to seeing the torture from levels 2 and 4. :getin:

Yeah. I've already been doing practice runs for some of them, and if I don't end up with a death roll longer than the levels themselves in every case I'll be surprised.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Metal Storm looks really cool; I'll have to give it a shot.

I like the look of it, especially compared to most NES sci-fi games (like Street Fighter 2010). Clean and colourful.

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012
Hopefully I'm not doing something wrong here. I thought I'd contribute a playthrough of my own:

Let's Play DoDonPachi Daioujou Black Label!

DoDonPachi Daioujou is technically the fourth game in the DoDonPachi series, but since the third one wasn't made by its original developer, Cave, and no one cares about it, we'll just call it the third. It's a bullet hell type of shooter, with the original game, DonPachi, emerging in 1995. Since then, Cave has become rather successful, and has created many other bullet hell shmups, though DoDonPachi remains their flagship title.

The game is very simple to get into and play for the casual gamer, but has a lot to offer to the hardcore gamer. I think this puts the game at a very nice place with regards to difficulty, as properly scoring in this game is no easy feat, and requires quite a bit of risk taking to do it properly. Despite that, the early stages are fairly forgiving, and moving around and blowing stuff up is a lot of fun, especially with all the pretty explosions. Clearing a stage is really satisfying as a result, because it really does feel like a big accomplishment. And that's what I like about this game, and I guess hard games in general, though I hated them as a kid.

But enough about that, and onto information about what I'll be doing. I'll be showing off the first loop at the very least, and I'll try to get through each stage without dying and without bombing. I know I can definitely do it for the first loop.

I don't know if I can do that for the second loop though. I'll certainly make an attempt at it, but it probably won't end well. In fact, I'm not sure if I can consistently finish the second loop. If worst comes to worst and I just absolutely fold before finishing the game off, I will make sure to show off the Extra boss of the game, who I'm sure is meant to be plainly impossible. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

For now though, let's start off with something easy!

:siren: Videos :siren:

DoDonPachi Daioujou Black Label Stages 1 and 2 (Reuploaded in HD)

Tsym fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 3, 2013

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

I'm absolutely cuckoo.

Tsym posted:

I'll be showing off the first loop at the very least, and I'll try to get through each stage without dying and without bombing. I know I can definitely do it for the first loop.

:aaa:

This is gonna be something to see, this game is one of the harder bullet hell games even the first time through. I used to be able to beat DDP pretty consistently but never even came close to beating DOJ on one credit. That said, it's a beautiful game and really fun to play, one of Cave's best if you ask me.

edit: What are the differences between the normal and Black Label versions of the game? I don't know if I've played BL.

Tomapella fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 1, 2013

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The problem I seem to have with Cave games is that the whole thing is just so dense and cluttered with great big distracting explosions, detailed backgrounds and those HUGE player bullets that my mind just shuts down looking at it. DDPDBL then adds to that with boring yet detailed enemy designs.

Being a sprite artist on a bullet hell shmup would just make me weep, nobody ever has time to look at your lovingly-crafted boss designs because they have to focus on the attack designer's bullets. No wonder they seem to get so disheartened and give up on the enemies. Or you could take ZUN's approach and make everything a tiny little girl - and he's the one doing the bullet patterns anyway.

EDIT: Look at that screenshot up there. Compare the hard shadows on the tanks to the much softer ones on the wall right next to them, the complete lack of shading on the missiles, the weird jagged outlines on the bullets. There's so many differing styles on everything, the only thing all the artists seemed to agree on was MORE DETAIL.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 1, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tsym posted:

DoDonPachi Daioujou Black Label

I wish I was better at this series. I picked up DDP Resurrection on the 360 (and got Deathsmiles at the same time, oddly enough) but I'll be damned if I can reach the second loop.

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
Despite not having the taste for bullet hell shooters anymore (I completely crashed on the genre after 1-CCing DoDonPachi back in college), I do enjoy watching them. There's something about being able to watch the whole picture in motion rather than having to focus really hard on where your ship is and where it needs to go. It's honestly kind of relaxing to kick back and watch neat-looking hell patterns fly across the screen.

Dabir posted:

Or you could take ZUN's approach and make everything a tiny little girl.

Well, they did kinda do this in DaiFukkatsu so maybe they gave up after all.

Orry
Apr 5, 2011

Dectilon posted:

After initially seeing this thread I thought to myself, "What's a hard game that I'm decent enough at to show off to the thread?" and I recalled being alright at R-Type.

Then I tried playing R-Type and managed to clear a few stages before realizing that I'm nowhere near as good as I recalled, and am beginning to doubt that anyone can actually be good at R-Type at all. It seems far more hectic than it should be, if you don't remember what's coming the screen fills with bullets while you get sealed in a corner and if you do remember what's coming you still have to have near perfect precision to be able to kill everything that's a threat while dodging obstacles.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's unfair difficulty, but it is such high levels of difficulty that it's going to kill you, a lot.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Orry posted:

After initially seeing this thread I thought to myself, "What's a hard game that I'm decent enough at to show off to the thread?" and I recalled being alright at R-Type.

Then I tried playing R-Type and managed to clear a few stages before realizing that I'm nowhere near as good as I recalled, and am beginning to doubt that anyone can actually be good at R-Type at all. It seems far more hectic than it should be, if you don't remember what's coming the screen fills with bullets while you get sealed in a corner and if you do remember what's coming you still have to have near perfect precision to be able to kill everything that's a threat while dodging obstacles.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's unfair difficulty, but it is such high levels of difficulty that it's going to kill you, a lot.

R-Type III's Stage 4 is the purest pinnacle of bullshit memorization.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hell, partway through stage 1 a giant wall blazes in outta nowhere and instantly kills you if you were on the right-hand side of the screen with no forewarning. R-Type is the biggest horseshit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I beat Super R-Type (a weird cross between R-Type 1 and 2 on the SNES) legitimately, but I always had to use crazy amounts of continues to do it. Especially the last stage loves to spawn enemies in annoying locations while also making you deal with those organic walls that you can shoot away but they come back a few seconds later.

R-Type 3 is just stupidly hard. Is Stage 4 the one where you go through it forwards, and then you go through it backwards? Yeah, that's nuts.

I have some appreciation for R-Type Final, though, if only because I love the R-Type ship aesthetic and there's over a hundred ships in RTF. I can also get all of the endings (on Normal difficulty anyway) without excessive amounts of trouble, so the amount of bullshit in its level design is nowhere near that of its predecessors. I just wish the unlock requirements for the ships weren't so onerous. There's a bunch of ships whose requirements are things like "Have N hours of play with this other ship", for example. And yeah, there's an exploit on one of the levels that you can use to rack up flight time without having to actually play, but it's still stupid.

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012

Tomapella posted:

edit: What are the differences between the normal and Black Label versions of the game? I don't know if I've played BL.
Black Label was something like a patch to the original Daioujou to fix a few bugs and to add a few more player friendly touches. This was far more geared to hardcore players though, as you'll see in the changes list below:

1. Extra lives now carry over in loops - Previously your extra lives were lost when you went from the first to second loop, meaning you would always start the second loop with 1. Now they don't. Obviously this only matters if you can make it to the second loop to begin with, which I don't think many people can do.
  2. You can select 1 loop or 2 loop at the beginning of the game. If you select 1 loop, then you'll get the Extra boss at the end of that as opposed to the end of the 2nd loop. A lot of people complained about not being able to practice the Extra boss since you can't credit feed on the final level of the 2nd loop. If I fail to get through the second loop, this is how I'm going to show off that fight.
  3. Minor bugfixes. In particular, the formula for getting hyper items are adjusted a bit, and the rank system is adjusted to make the first loop slightly easier and the second loop slightly harder.

There may be other changes, but those are the big ones.

Dabir posted:

The problem I seem to have with Cave games is that the whole thing is just so dense and cluttered with great big distracting explosions, detailed backgrounds and those HUGE player bullets that my mind just shuts down looking at it. DDPDBL then adds to that with boring yet detailed enemy designs.

Being a sprite artist on a bullet hell shmup would just make me weep, nobody ever has time to look at your lovingly-crafted boss designs because they have to focus on the attack designer's bullets. No wonder they seem to get so disheartened and give up on the enemies. Or you could take ZUN's approach and make everything a tiny little girl - and he's the one doing the bullet patterns anyway.

EDIT: Look at that screenshot up there. Compare the hard shadows on the tanks to the much softer ones on the wall right next to them, the complete lack of shading on the missiles, the weird jagged outlines on the bullets. There's so many differing styles on everything, the only thing all the artists seemed to agree on was MORE DETAIL.
When I first started playing, I also had a lot of reservations about the aesthetics of the game. In particular, I found the game to be basically information overload. It wasn't really the bullets or explosions, but more that enemies seem to almost blend into the background at times. However, it's something of an acquired taste. I like to compare it to FPS games, in that you'll end up learning to track movement as opposed to specific sprites. The explosions though kind of have to be somewhat big, as you need to be able to see them clearly if you're looking around your ship to know when you can move on to another enemy.

The art direction though... Well... It has impact at least. Each stage is very distinct, even if you have no emotional investment in the storyline/worldbuilding or whatever.

Smash Daisaku posted:

Well, they did kinda do this in DaiFukkatsu so maybe they gave up after all.
Daifukkatsu? You should see Mushihimesama. It's uh, certainly a thing, and it doesn't give good first impressions, especially if, as with me, your first exposure to it is this video. The actual gameplay and scoring system are fun though if you overlook the :japan:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Looking forward to the later parts of Metal Storm, especially seeing how anyone is supposed to beat that goddamn platform boss. It's the hardest one for completely the wrong reason.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Tsym posted:

Daifukkatsu? You should see Mushihimesama. It's uh, certainly a thing, and it doesn't give good first impressions, especially if, as with me, your first exposure to it is this video. The actual gameplay and scoring system are fun though if you overlook the :japan:

That video made me want to play it even more, I'm not very good at shmups but I do enjoy playing them and finding out about new ones, mostly vertical scrolling though, although Deathsmiles was one of the horizontal ones that I enjoyed playing in arcades.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Justin_Brett posted:

Looking forward to the later parts of Metal Storm, especially seeing how anyone is supposed to beat that goddamn platform boss. It's the hardest one for completely the wrong reason.

Can you be clearer on that? You mean the one where you 'fight' three sewing machines? After the three-headed transformer jumping mindlessly on sewing machines is a cakewalk.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Smash Daisaku posted:

Despite not having the taste for bullet hell shooters anymore (I completely crashed on the genre after 1-CCing DoDonPachi back in college), I do enjoy watching them. There's something about being able to watch the whole picture in motion rather than having to focus really hard on where your ship is and where it needs to go. It's honestly kind of relaxing to kick back and watch neat-looking hell patterns fly across the screen.

I like watching bullet hell videos when I'm tired or ill. There's something very relaxing about it, like watching a tremendously violent lava lamp.

Orry
Apr 5, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

R-Type 3 is just stupidly hard. Is Stage 4 the one where you go through it forwards, and then you go through it backwards? Yeah, that's nuts.

Yes, it is. It also has those weird snakey energy beams that flash for a really brief period before firing, too bad nobody human is capable of dodging them on reflex. I think it would be possible to dodge on reflex in theory, but in practice it comes down to memorization because nobody is that good at reflex and positional awareness and so much is happening on screen at the same time what the hell am I supposed to do. Oh, I just got hit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh hey, on the subject of hard shmups, if anyone wanted to take a stab at Recca, I'd enjoy watching that. It's an obscure NES shmup, and it is fast. There's also a second loop (really, a completely new set of levels after you reach the "end" and go back to the title screen), and if you're feeling really masochistic you can use a cheat code to make the enemies spawn random bullets when they die :supaburn:.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
This thread is rapidly whipping back to Gradius 3 arcade, isn't it :cry:

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

I'm absolutely cuckoo.
Time for more Metal Storm! Boy, that miniboss sure was easy! :razz:

Part 2 - Ancient Greek Wonkvators and R-Type Rejects - YouTube

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tsym posted:

Is this exactly the same as DDP: Blissful Death, on iOS? I haven't noticed any differences, but I've never managed to get through it on the higher difficulties without burning through continues and bombs and relying on luck.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I never noticed as a kid, but Metal Storm has some really lovely sprite animation for an NES game. That last transforming boss was a really nice example of that, on top of your mech's walk animation.

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW
Maldita Castilla update! This is probably the last stretch of me looking like I can play the game at an okay level. Brace yourselves.

Chapter 2: Road of the Harpies

Phiggle fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 1, 2013

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
As is tradition now, Phiggle keeps doing much better at the game than I did at first.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Phiggle posted:

Maldita Castilla update! This is probably the last stretch of me looking like I can play the game at an okay level. Brace yourselves.

Chapter 2: Road of the Harpies

Because I'm reading this on my phone, I thought the scroll said "Road of the Hippies" at first, and I was very confused.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Been a little while! Today we're going to kill more of the native life on Tatooine, and piss off the Empire for good measure.

Part 3: In Which Luke Discovers That Hokey Religions Are Nothing Next To A Good Blaster At Your Side

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Funny, I don't think I'd ever heard that much about the Stormtroopers' constant orbital insertions.

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.
Man, gently caress the Cantina. Even on Hero that level is just the worst. I do not envy you recording the next episode.

These levels weren't too bad. Mos Eisley was mitigated by the fact the Stormtroopers die in one-two hits, and always drop health. And the Mode 7 is just the Mode 7. Still simple, just kinda... there.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

When I fought Nuberu, I found the best way to hit him is to try to stand underneath him. The lightning seemed to fall around me almost every time, and if I managed to keep him moving he couldn't get his full rotation off.

I could be wrong, but it felt easier.

Deargodalion fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 2, 2013

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!

Seraphroy posted:

Man, gently caress the Cantina. Even on Hero that level is just the worst. I do not envy you recording the next episode.

These levels weren't too bad. Mos Eisley was mitigated by the fact the Stormtroopers die in one-two hits, and always drop health. And the Mode 7 is just the Mode 7. Still simple, just kinda... there.

Agreed. I died to the boss with a fully upgraded blaster and then had to fight him with a lowest power blaster. I lose all my lives...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tsym posted:

I've always wanted to see a commentated run of this kind of game. I find it fascinating how players can get through them and always wondered what's going on through their heads while they do so. This is looking pretty good so far. I also really like the music in these Cave games, I think it's as under-appreciated as the graphics someone mentioned earlier. Though I think there's supposed to be a high resolution remake coming out soon?
The series got REALLY weird later though. Especially the newest game with its "difficulty" selection and extra boss. Speaking of which, what the heck are those stills during the intermission/stage score supposed to be? As far as I know, this game doesn't seem to have much of a plot.
Also, does Black Label add the HIVAC/Zatsuza, or am I thinking of something else? The Dodonpachi series seems to have to really confusing names for their different games.

One last thing. Does the game have a large emphasis on bullet cancelling or is that strictly in sequels/Ketsui?

HGH fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 2, 2013

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

I'm absolutely cuckoo.
Alright, let's finish off normal mode of Metal Storm, since I have the video done and hey, why not.

Part 3 - The End! Nothing more to see here, folks! - YouTube

Updates will definitely be more infrequent, both for personal reasons and the fact that this game is about to more or less become IWBTG with a gravity mechanic. :ohdear:

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Tomapella posted:

Alright, let's finish off normal mode of Metal Storm, since I have the video done and hey, why not.

Part 3 - The End! Nothing more to see here, folks! - YouTube

Updates will definitely be more infrequent, both for personal reasons and the fact that this game is about to more or less become IWBTG with a gravity mechanic. :ohdear:

That ending was definitely something alright. What happens if you don't destroy the segments on the final boss, instant game over?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Let's keep this moving with a spooky level!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Just wanted to point out that the game over theme of Metal Storm might be the saddest thing ever.

• Locked thread