Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've asked this before, but haven't really found a suitable program for this yet. Does anyone use a SIP program that they recommend? Blink looks like the most well developed app, but it's $10/$50. The $50 supports transferring calls too, which I might want, but honestly on the days I work from home I don't really ever transfer calls (as I'm the only guy on Saturdays). I checked all the apps in the App Store, but none of them worked. Either no sound or couldn't connect to my work server at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ConfusedUs posted:

I heard the same thing!

I tried it. Didn't happen. iMessage crashes when I type it in as a new message, but not when a message is received. The bug is apparently something in the system-wide spellcheck.

skrath
Nov 14, 2000
Horsum venit vir qui fert locustas!

Didion posted:

What's a good program for finding duplicate files in the internal and external hard drives all at once?

Now that I have combined all my internal and external drives from all over the place into one Mac, I too need a program like this.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue with Mail.app on Lion/ML.

when setting signature size, if you leave the box ticked for 'match my email font' (paraphrasing) which is helevicta 14, it will actually bump it up to 18 or so when sending the mail. Everywhere it appears - in the signature box, in the email itself, before sending, looks fine. once its sent out the recipients copy has a huge signature.

adjusting it to any size by selecting the text and changing font to another size while un-ticking the box works fine. unticking the box and using font size 14 causes the same thing to happen again.

took me a good while to figure out what the gently caress was going on there, even resorting to plain-text copying in of the signature from a text file to avoid getting weird formatting brought across from word wouldnt fix it.

seems that its just bugged at size 14.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

skrath posted:

Now that I have combined all my internal and external drives from all over the place into one Mac, I too need a program like this.

This would be a nice little programming exercise for those that way inclined. Build a big dictionary mapping file SHA1 hashes to an array of filenames.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!

crazysim posted:

If you're more technically savvy, Slate might fit in here too.

Looks cool but also looks like a lot of work... What's the big payoff?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Like the good Readme.md says, it's extremely configurable. Unfortunately, I just use mine as a modern ShiftIt clone so my configuration is pretty spartan:

https://github.com/crazysim/dotfiles/blob/master/slate

I did add some keys to shift windows one third of the way and others two thirds of the way though. I guess if you put more grease into the configuration, you can get stuff like layout saving, keyboard switching, or whatever. In any case, it was free and it's actively developed on Github.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Martytoof posted:

What happens if you hibernate a boot camp partition through VMware Fusion and then physically boot to it? Does it just invalidate the sleeping state and treat it as an unclean shutdown?

I can't test it because I don't have Boot Camp set up, but I don't believe the bootloader for Windows does any "is this the same hardware" verification so it'll probably blindly load the hibernated state and then fall over and BSOD due to all the hardware changing underneath it (VMware disk controller becomes the native one, etc).

Just in case, I wouldn't suspend it as a VM and then boot it either, as the suspend state will have in-memory representations of things like your registry and disk map, so changing those and then resuming the VM state will at best result in it bursting into tears.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Laserface posted:

when setting signature size, if you leave the box ticked for 'match my email font' (paraphrasing) which is helevicta 14, it will actually bump it up to 18 or so when sending the mail. Everywhere it appears - in the signature box, in the email itself, before sending, looks fine. once its sent out the recipients copy has a huge signature.

adjusting it to any size by selecting the text and changing font to another size while un-ticking the box works fine. unticking the box and using font size 14 causes the same thing to happen again.

took me a good while to figure out what the gently caress was going on there, even resorting to plain-text copying in of the signature from a text file to avoid getting weird formatting brought across from word wouldnt fix it.

I noticed this the other day too. After looking around online it appears mail.app doesn't actually specify your font size in your signature. Instead, it just says the signature font size is "medium" and lets the receiving mail client determine what that will look like. I think outlook is one of the worst offenders and interprets "medium" as a huge font size.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I just found out about a badass command line utility included in OS X, so I thought I'd share it.

code:
NAME
     caffeinate -- prevent the system from sleeping on behalf of a utility

SYNOPSIS
     caffeinate [-disu] [-t timeout] [utility] [argument ...]

DESCRIPTION
     caffeinate creates assertions to alter system sleep behavior.  If no assertion flags
     are specified, caffeinate creates an assertion to prevent idle sleep.  If a utility
     is specified, caffeinate creates the assertions on the utility's behalf, and those
     assertions will persist for the duration of the utility's execution. Otherwise,
     caffeinate creates the assertions directly, and those assertions will persist until
     caffeinate exits.

Available options:

-d      Create an assertion to prevent the display from sleeping.

-i      Create an assertion to prevent the system from idle sleeping.

-s      Create an assertion to prevent the system from sleeping. This assertion is
             valid only when system is running on AC power.

-u      Create an assertion to declare that user is active. If the display is off,
             this option turns the display on and prevents the display from going into
             idle sleep. If a timeout is not specified with '-t' option, then this asser-
             tion is taken with a default of 5 second timeout.

-t      Specifies the timeout value in seconds for which this assertion has to be
             valid. The assertion is dropped after the specified timeout. Timeout value is
             not used when an utility is invoked with this command.

So basically you can run caffeinate followed by a program, and while that program is running, the system won't sleep, but as soon as that program ends, it will sleep. So imagine you had a utility downloading something and you didn't want the system to sleep until the download was finished.

Looks pretty handy.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

echobucket posted:

So basically you can run caffeinate followed by a program, and while that program is running, the system won't sleep, but as soon as that program ends, it will sleep. So imagine you had a utility downloading something and you didn't want the system to sleep until the download was finished.

Looks pretty handy.

I'm gonna blow your mind: it's been around in another ui-friendly form for years.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caffeine/id411246225?mt=12

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any ideas why a Mac Mini server (Running Snow Leopard) would be dog-rear end slow writing files to?

I have tried copying from Linux, Mac, Windows, it takes almost 20 seconds to copy over a 38MB file, we have gigabit ethernet. According to activity monitor it's doing some reads/writes at up to 40MB/s (not for my file of course), and it's not being used very much.

One the file below it jumps up to 25MB, then about 10 seconds later hits 58.7 MB.... then 125MB copied....so drat slow.

Connecting via AFP or SMB seem to have the same results. But if I use scp it flies:

archive.zip 100% 287MB 47.8MB/s 00:06

Edit: Now it seems to run slow only on one particular fileshare. It's fast on the admin file share.

Edit: Looks like I have a problem with the Promise Smartstore DS4600 that's connected to it.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 5, 2013

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

pmchem posted:

I'm gonna blow your mind: it's been around in another ui-friendly form for years.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caffeine/id411246225?mt=12

Yeah, I know about that app. But this does one thing that doesn't. You can start a program with it, and as long as that program is open, your mac will stay awake. When that program ends, you mac will automatically sleep. (see my example about downloading something)

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
Does anyone here have Chronosync? I have been running it for a while and the scheduler doesn't seem to actually work when the machine is dormant (never sleeping but not in use). I checked the faq on thier site and it's pretty useless since I do have the schedule active and active jobs. I can click and manually run my jobs any time.

Does anyone know of another decent bi-directional sync tool that's available? rsync doesn't seem to meet my needs to mirror adds/updates/deletes on both ends.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Ahz posted:

Does anyone here have Chronosync? I have been running it for a while and the scheduler doesn't seem to actually work when the machine is dormant (never sleeping but not in use). I checked the faq on thier site and it's pretty useless since I do have the schedule active and active jobs. I can click and manually run my jobs any time.

Does anyone know of another decent bi-directional sync tool that's available? rsync doesn't seem to meet my needs to mirror adds/updates/deletes on both ends.

I use Chronosync and I haven't noticed any issues with it not running jobs. I think I remember seeing an option in he setting to have it wake the machine up when it's time to run the jobs.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I am having a strange issue. I am on 10.8.2 and latest version of Safari. In some forms in Safari my letter a does not work. If I use shift capital a works. If I hold a down I get the option to use other versions of a. Obviously a works in filling out the reply form on the forums, but not in some other forms.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ahz posted:

We use it without issue, but the syncs fire on connect, not under a schedule.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a recommended Mac backup software (something like BackupExec for Windows), or can Time Machine do backups of your external HD's as well?

Right now we just use an rsync script but it takes almost 12 hours to backup 1.5TB of stuff (not much of that changes, but that's a hell of a long time).

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
My ex-wife moved out months ago but I haven't deleted her user account off the iMac yet, for fear that she'll realize she wants something and I'm just a nice guy.

However, I want the space now. If I delete her account but leave time capsule as is, could I/she recover a file, if needed, even after her user account is gone?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Unless the Time Capsule fills up, yes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dexter6 posted:

My ex-wife moved out months ago but I haven't deleted her user account off the iMac yet, for fear that she'll realize she wants something and I'm just a nice guy.
Write her ~ to a USB key and mail it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a recommended Mac backup software (something like BackupExec for Windows), or can Time Machine do backups of your external HD's as well?

Right now we just use an rsync script but it takes almost 12 hours to backup 1.5TB of stuff (not much of that changes, but that's a hell of a long time).
Pretty sure Time Machine backs up externals too. I'm running dual internal drives now but on my previous Mac I had my user stuff on the external and just used TM to back up everything. Plus I remember adding my current externals to the TM setup as exclusions so I wouldn't back those up (since I'm using those as secondary clone backups).

...although I'm wondering how TM will handle your stuff if rsync is taking that long as it is. Is it checksumming everything or checking for modification dates or just copying everything over every time? If enough stuff is changing I think TM would take just as long.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

...although I'm wondering how TM will handle your stuff if rsync is taking that long as it is. Is it checksumming everything or checking for modification dates or just copying everything over every time? If enough stuff is changing I think TM would take just as long.

It's not preserving the timestamps so it's just copying everything. The output looks like this:

Number of files: 525175
Number of files transferred: 488179
Total file size: 1409193854551 bytes
Total transferred file size: 1409191294004 bytes
Literal data: 1409191294004 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 13142128
File list generation time: 322.350 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 1409398103398
Total bytes received: 10740246

sent 1409398103398 bytes received 10740246 bytes 27693297.64 bytes/sec
total size is 1409193854551 speedup is 1.00
Finished at Tue Feb 5 10:08:23 EST 2013

:haw: 1,409,398,103,398 bytes
USB 2 flying along at 27.6 MB/s

So that's the main problem. I blanked out today's backup drive but I won't be able to see how much faster it goes until Friday night when it backs up to that drive again.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Every time I move an email in my gmail account to a different 'label' using Mail it keeps it in the inbox but with that label's tag on it; I don't remember it doing this before I upgraded to 10.8. Is there a way to set it to just straight move it to the new label without keeping it tagged as being in the inbox as well?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm having the weirdest issue changing folder icons. I have a symlinked Movies folder in my home folder that goes to another hard drive, and I want to change the icon for it to the normal one. I went to the resource folder where the icons are kept, did a Get Info, dragged the icon over and it became the Preview icon with an ICNS label. I can copy->paste from the icns file in preview, but that only gives the movies folder one of the icon sizes it should have, meaning it'll look lovely on the sizes it's not designed for.

If I drag and drop from a normal folder in the home folder onto the movies symlink, it'll transfer all the sizes of the icon. Ugh, I'm sorry if my explanation is contrived, but I was hoping somebody here knew how to work through the issue. Maybe there's an app that'll unfuck it. I'll have to look.

edit: Found this terminal script method for it. It doesn't give the same icons in the Finder sidebar, but I guess it's not a big deal. I don't know how I could change that part. http://davidchambersdesign.com/customizing-file-and-folder-icons-in-mac-os-x/

brap fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 7, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Today's 10.8.3 beta seed (I think this is the 10th one :eek: ) fixed it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How/can I preview .gif files without opening Safari?

Double-clicking just opens Preview, and all it does is show each individual frame.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

Double-clicking just opens Preview, and all it does is show each individual frame.

Hit the spacebar when you have a .gif selected in Finder and you can preview them in Quick Look.

Or use an image browser like Xee.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Mister Macys posted:

Quick Look (press Space) will show it in animated form.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Laserface posted:

This has happened to me for the longest time that I just disable my signature altogether (and copy/paste when needed).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The real question is why you heretics don't send text-only. :mad:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mister Macys posted:

Three finger tap on it for quick look.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm having a weird issue with Quicktime Player X where the clickable area of a movie window is somehow misaligned from the actual displayed movie window. Is this a known bug?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

evil_bunnY posted:

The real question is why you heretics don't send text-only. :mad:

Emails from my work account to people outside the company need signatures.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A little setup for my question:

- I just upgraded my "Mac" to two SSDs. One for Windows, one for MacOS.
- MacOS is physically on one SSD, Windows is physically installed on the second SSD.
- I am using (latest/greatest) VMware Fusion on MacOS to run the Windows partition as a "Boot Camp" image.

Will VMware Fusion take advantage of TRIM on the second SSD? Should I be worried that the emulated hardware will not support TRIM? When I boot the Windows partition directly (not virtualized) I can verify that TRIM is up and running, however I'm not exactly certain how adding virtualization comes into play here.

Crossposted this to the Virtualization thread too, but I'm not sure which is the better place to ask.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Boris Galerkin posted:

Emails from my work account to people outside the company need signatures.

You can have a plain text signature.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Having bold/italic/underline, bulleted/numbered lists, a differentiation between normal text versus command line output, images, and even different colours for different people in a conversation can all be useful.

Not all rich email is pink comic sans with a spiral ruled notebook paper tiled background.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Having bold/italic/underline, bulleted/numbered lists, a differentiation between normal text versus command line output, images, and even different colours for different people in a conversation can all be useful.

Not all rich email is pink comic sans with a spiral ruled notebook paper tiled background.

no you see all email is supposed to look like an episode of Strongbads email.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Through very unfortunate circumstances, I now have a 2012 Macbook Air. It belonged to a girl who got in an accident, and my wife had been helping the family. When they were going through things to move, they found the laptop, who no one wanted, and so now I have it. The girl can't talk, and therefore, I have no access to any of the passwords for the admin account or otherwise.

I'm happy to have the Mac, my last mac was an iBook, which I loved, but this is now the only apple product in the house. Since the guest account was so limited, I figured I'd just re-install the OS, and begin anew, setting up my own admin account so I could do what I like.

After a bit of googling, I found that the recovery partition held the OS installation files, since no media was shipped with the Mac. It was purchased in August 2012, soon after the 10.8 release, and the girl had upgraded it from 10.7 to 10.8. In doing so, the recovery partition was updated to contain the install files for 10.8.

I wiped the OS partition, and prepared to re-install MacOS, and it prompted me for an Apple ID. I don't know what ID she had used, nor the password, but I've owned a couple ipods and ipads, so I had an Apple ID. Unfortunately, I'd never bought MacOS, and it's telling me since I don't have a record of purchasing Lion on my Apple ID account, I can't install OS X.

I'd called Apple support, and the guy was friendly, but ultimately couldn't help. He told me I'd need to purchase OS X from anther mac on my Apple ID account to just be able to install OS X on this laptop. I couldn't do that on my Windows iTunes account, and he sent a message to someone else at apple itunes support, who also couldn't help. So I made an appointment at my local apple store.

What kind of insanity is this? It used to be that the "hardware dongle" joke was that you could only install OS X on a mac. Now, the OS license isn't tied to hardware anymore, it's tied to an apple ID? I guess I'm kind of stuck here, I'll be a bit upset if I have to re-buy MacOS for a computer for which it was already purchased.

I guess it's a bit of a cautionary tale for anyone looking to buy a used Mac. Is this the way it is with all models now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Civil posted:

Through very unfortunate circumstances, I now have a 2012 Macbook Air. It belonged to a girl who got in an accident, and my wife had been helping the family. When they were going through things to move, they found the laptop, who no one wanted, and so now I have it. The girl can't talk, and therefore, I have no access to any of the passwords for the admin account or otherwise.

I'm happy to have the Mac, my last mac was an iBook, which I loved, but this is now the only apple product in the house. Since the guest account was so limited, I figured I'd just re-install the OS, and begin anew, setting up my own admin account so I could do what I like.

After a bit of googling, I found that the recovery partition held the OS installation files, since no media was shipped with the Mac. It was purchased in August 2012, soon after the 10.8 release, and the girl had upgraded it from 10.7 to 10.8. In doing so, the recovery partition was updated to contain the install files for 10.8.

I wiped the OS partition, and prepared to re-install MacOS, and it prompted me for an Apple ID. I don't know what ID she had used, nor the password, but I've owned a couple ipods and ipads, so I had an Apple ID. Unfortunately, I'd never bought MacOS, and it's telling me since I don't have a record of purchasing Lion on my Apple ID account, I can't install OS X.

I'd called Apple support, and the guy was friendly, but ultimately couldn't help. He told me I'd need to purchase OS X from anther mac on my Apple ID account to just be able to install OS X on this laptop. I couldn't do that on my Windows iTunes account, and he sent a message to someone else at apple itunes support, who also couldn't help. So I made an appointment at my local apple store.

What kind of insanity is this? It used to be that the "hardware dongle" joke was that you could only install OS X on a mac. Now, the OS license isn't tied to hardware anymore, it's tied to an apple ID? I guess I'm kind of stuck here, I'll be a bit upset if I have to re-buy MacOS for a computer for which it was already purchased.

I guess it's a bit of a cautionary tale for anyone looking to buy a used Mac. Is this the way it is with all models now?

If you know anyone with mountain lion on their apple account you can use their appleid and password.

Download this
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

Make a bootable usb stick with it and you should be able to install the original shipping OS (lion) without an appleid.

The original shipping OS is verified by serial number, not appleid. When she got mountain lion they gave her a code that registered it with her appleid.