Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It also eliminates any hope that the game would actually be designed around not having a UI.

Yeah, specifically this is the main issue with an on/off UI. It's the same argument that comes up with every new Elder Scrolls game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
It is a shame this have looks to be so terrible but not a huge surprise.

pixelbaron posted:

There is never going to be a good game developed for this franchise ever again is there

I dunno, there were lots of terrible Batman games and then out of nowhere we got Arkham Asylum. It probably helped expectations were lower for the game so the devs were given more of a free hand.

Lizame Bizrutal
Mar 19, 2002
Not to piss anyone off here, but I'm not sure I trust any of your opinions. Sounds like a lot of whining to me. I watched the first Lets Play on youtube, seemed fine. Have any of you played earlier Aliens games? I have played them all, including Aliens TC type game mods for the game... Doom. This is many times better looking than any of those old games.

An Alien stood up on the wall for less than 1 second and that means the game is poo poo?

It looks like an Aliens FPS to me. The Aliens walk on walls, ceilings, and can jump long distances. Sweet!

Did you all hope it would be more like a movie and less like an FPS? A movie where you outsmart Alien insects, and only rarely see them? I believe that game would be called Alien : Nostromo. A game called Aliens Colonial Marines is going to be an FPS.

The game will be fun for me and some friends, and while it won't have longevity like the dozens of Battlefield and Black Ops clones, it never stood a chance at being bigger than those types of games in the first place.

I don't like the DLC thing, but other than that, the game looks like it will be fun for me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

"It looks like an Alien FPS. The aliens can walk and jump." - 9/10, Gamestop. Power to the player.

No, an Alien having a poor animation for a second doesn't mean the game is going to be terrible; the vast swathes of horrible presentation, art work, narrative displayed, voice acting, UI issues, design flaws and yes, animation flaws, make the game look like it's going to be terrible.

If you and your friends love this game. Awesome, I'm happy for you. That's a good thing. I think the game looks terrible and it's not because I didn't want an FPS, or because of some small detail I saw that was wrong, it's because everything I've seen of this game makes it look bad.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 8, 2013

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
Like I said, I was somehow happy with Dead Island and I enjoyed it. It was messily done at times, and somewhat unpolished, but I enjoyed it. I like FPS games, and I like FPS-RPG games.

My problem with A:CM is therefore not genre. It's also not, "well, not perfectly polished. F!" I can look past a lack of polish. I found that Dead Island had a lot of areas that were genuinely creepy or well done - the Quarantine area, for one, very successfully instilled a "we don't go there," feeling among the people I was playing co-op with. Dead Island, for all of its lack of polish, had a lot of well-done areas, too, and that's why I enjoyed it.

It is rather that I have not seen one single bit of this game on an LP or anything that looks like it would be fun to play beyond "shoot things". I'm looking past the poor textures, UI issues, art issues, blatant fan service, all of that. Because, hey, I can live with those - maybe - and I'm also one of those mindless fans they're servicing. Hicks's shotgun? Gimme that poo poo!

The game just looks blatantly unfun. Aliens just storm pretty much directly at you - and at an unimpressive pace too. There are loads of human enemies in a loving Aliens game. No place really makes me go, "hey, it'd be fun to fight there." Even the encounters don't look set up to actually impress upon you that this is an intelligent swarm that will knock your poo poo in if you don't watch your back, and L4D managed that with quasi-mindless trash zombies.

I could be wrong. Down the line, I might pick it up and go, "hey, this is really fun." If you find it fun, I'm happy for you - you're not wrong for enjoying it. But the gameplay videos I'm watching aren't good news.

Nombres fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 8, 2013

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
Terrible ragdoll physics that glitches through walls/doors/floors: check, think they call it "clipping" heh.

Textures that appear to have come from an early 2000's era Aliens game: check

Characters that are not well defined or really well written at all in any way: check

Design and geometry that is completely baffling and makes no goddamn sense to the setting: check (all of the Sulaco sections more or less, I didn't know that ship was so full of BORING AS gently caress CORRIDORS AND OFFICE SPACES)

Aliens that are so hilariously easy to kill that it's like I'm playing some mod for Call of Duty or something half the time, they almost never walk on the ceiling or attempt cover/dodging anything unless they're scripted to it seems.

No real survival horror to the whole game. Not even the jump scares were scary... they just kinda felt sad.

Cluttered UI and guns that feel generic as gently caress.

Also hilarious Modern Warfare style achievements "YOU JUST MADE MASTER MASTER SARGEANT KILLER SPACE MARINE GUY RANK 5 GO HOG WILD"

QTE's that pretty much made the player character a Duke Nukem kicking and punching monster that could grab a facehugger with one hand and strangle it with its own umbilical penis thing with just his middle finger the next. Never have facehuggers been more hilariously annoying and not scary at all.

A story that I'm not going to spoil because it's not worth the wasted effort.

Seriously this thing should be a lesson in "things you shouldn't do when making an FPS homage to famous survival horror films" On its own ignoring pretty much everything it has to do with Aliens or famous films or whatever it's a fairly bland if not boring as hell game with nothing surprising whatsoever. It's pretty much relying on name recognition and nostalgia from the film to get itself sold.

Lizame Bizrutal posted:

An Alien stood up on the wall for less than 1 second and that means the game is poo poo?

It looks like an Aliens FPS to me. The Aliens walk on walls, ceilings, and can jump long distances. Sweet!

I saw almost no aliens walking on the ceiling outside of scripted sequences, jumping long distances almost never happened either outside of even more scripted pieces. The human AI in this game is smarter than the thing we're actually supposed to be afraid of and fighting the most and there's something very wrong with that.

Massive_Idiot fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 8, 2013

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I dunno, there were lots of terrible Batman games and then out of nowhere we got Arkham Asylum.

True.

I suppose I am just bitter and defeated that this game doesn't appear to be the gem for the Alien franchise that Arkham Asylum turned out to be for the Batman franchise. Early on it looked like it had a lot of promise.

Lizame Bizrutal
Mar 19, 2002

Kraustofski posted:

Terrible ragdoll physics that glitches through walls/doors/floors: check, think they call it "clipping" heh.

Didn't really notice it, if I did it wasn't a game breaker to me.

quote:

Textures that appear to have come from an early 2000's era Aliens game: check

Didn't notice this, but will have to see when the game comes out. Plus I'll be playing on PC, which will likely look better than the 360 or PS3 versions.

quote:

Design and geometry that is completely baffling and makes no goddamn sense to the setting: check (all of the Sulaco sections more or less, I didn't know that ship was so full of BORING AS gently caress CORRIDORS AND OFFICE SPACES)

Well, Syd Mead designed it just for the game. They didn't show much new in the first let's play except the gravity well room. Which looked fine to me.

quote:

Aliens that are so hilariously easy to kill that it's like I'm playing some mod for Call of Duty or something half the time, they almost never walk on the ceiling or attempt cover/dodging anything unless they're scripted to it seems.

The let's play I saw, the guy played it on easy/recruit. I actually think though that the Aliens should be easy to kill with a pulse rifle. The problem should come when there are too many to shoot or they're sneaking up around you.

quote:

No real survival horror to the whole game. Not even the jump scares were scary... they just kinda felt sad.
It would be difficult to do this in an FPS. You have a gun and have killed dozens of them in the first few minutes.

quote:

Cluttered UI and guns that feel generic as gently caress.

They're straight out of the movie. I would be pissed if they had a bunch of other guns that the Marines in the movie did not use. I haven't seen the smart gun yet.

quote:

Also hilarious Modern Warfare style achievements "YOU JUST MADE MASTER MASTER SARGEANT KILLER SPACE MARINE GUY RANK 5 GO HOG WILD"

Those are really dumb. It's a tribute to the XBOX reward mentality. Video games are made for kids.

quote:

QTE's that pretty much made the player character a Duke Nukem kicking and punching monster that could grab a facehugger with one hand and strangle it with its own umbilical penis thing with just his middle finger the next. Never have facehuggers been more hilariously annoying and not scary at all.
I haven't seen any facehuggers yet. No comment other than I don't remember any Aliens game having scary facehuggers, they're just annoying... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMlyDBXQAKA

quote:

Seriously this thing should be a lesson in "things you shouldn't do when making an FPS homage to famous survival horror films" On its own ignoring pretty much everything it has to do with Aliens or famous films or whatever it's a fairly bland if not boring as hell game with nothing surprising whatsoever. It's pretty much relying on name recognition and nostalgia from the film to get itself sold.

To a large degree, yes on the name recognition part.

Lizame Bizrutal
Mar 19, 2002

Dan Didio posted:

"It looks like an Alien FPS. The aliens can walk and jump." - 9/10, Gamestop. Power to the player.

Haha, that's not exactly what I said, but I could have thought that through a little more.

We'll see how bad it is when the game comes out. I'm used to Aliens games sucking balls. If this one sucks, oh well, will be fun for a few weeks, then back to DayZ for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lizame Bizrutal posted:

If this one sucks, oh well, will be fun for a few weeks, then back to DayZ for me.

I think you can stomach awful production values more than most can.

The game might have some merit, somewhere, and I might actually enjoy playing it but I won't change my opinion on it being bad. After all this time it turned into a generic FPS game with an Alien coat of paint, and somehow looks worse than the recent AVP ever did. How did they manage that?

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
My question is at what point of the design process did someone pipe up and say, "You know what we need in this game based on a franchise all about fighting an alien infestation? Human enemies."

I wish I could've been in the room when that came up, just to see if anyone shot him a glare of "are you kidding," or if they just went, "wow, that sounds great, Bob."

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Well, fighting Yutani could've been a thing, story-wise, but they way they introduced the human enemies was stupid and unimaginative.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
I could see it if there was an outbreak on the Sulaco, and some WY on the ship managed to fortify their positions enough to survive. When the marines arrive, the survivors - driven half-mad from constant psychological pressure, sleep deprivation, etc. - begin to sabotage the Marine's efforts and launch little raids on them. Cutting the lights, tripping airlocks, taking potshots, things like that. You'd meet maybe two or three at a time in an ambush, and the ambushes are spaced sufficiently enough apart to make them actual events. Use it to build tension for later on in the game, and also as a quasi-tutorial for things that the aliens will do later on, on-planet, but will hit you harder when the trap slams shut.

You could even give off audio and visual cues to suggest you're being stalked in the meantime, to build up suspense.

I could get behind that. But "HEY ENEMY SOLDIERS" crap just bugs me.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Nombres posted:

My question is at what point of the design process did someone pipe up and say, "You know what we need in this game based on a franchise all about fighting an alien infestation? Human enemies."

"Nah man, don't you see, humans are the real monsters. It's like...we are the aliens." - Probably some dude who works at Gearbox.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Nombres posted:

I wish I could've been in the room when that came up, just to see if anyone shot him a glare of "are you kidding," or if they just went, "wow, that sounds great, Bob."

Weren't there human enemies in the Marine campaign of AvP2?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I've pre-ordered and I'm happy enough with what I've seen to go ahead with the pre-order.

Mind you, I also completed Daikatana out of sheer stubborn attitude.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I was really looking forward to this, but it looks terrible. I don't have the stomach for another generic shooter, there are just too many other awesome games out there.

Oh well, back to Natural Selection 2 and eating marine ankles.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Katsuma posted:

Weren't there human enemies in the Marine campaign of AvP2?
Yes there were.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
This game is the definition of laziness. Everything is so goddamn pedestrian. The dialouge, the writing, the quicktime events, the endless corridors, the shooting, the dumb AI, the non-threatening aliens. It's a perfect storm of mediocrity. :psyduck:

I still hold true to my opinion that Opposing Force is the last legitimately good Gearbox Game VV

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 8, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think Borderlands' success has made everyone forgot Gearbox's mediocre track record, this seems more true to form for them.
In all honesty, Borderlands isn't that well done either, but the coop, loot progression, and silliness makes it fun, the shooting and mechanics are still iffy and clunky.
But that's the difference between a game with a soul and character, and rewarding progression, versus something that looks like everyone just gave up halfway through.

My favorite part in one of those gameplay videos is the typical "xenomorphs beating at the glass outside the room you're in" tension scene, except it's completely pathetic and non-threatening.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
gently caress all y'all, this is gonna own :toot:

And I've gotta know, just how high were your expectations for this? It's an FPS. I haven't played an FPS that actually reeled me in since the first Far Cry. When I was 17. Twelve years ago. I'm jaded as gently caress about FPSes now, because they all follow the same patterns. Do we set our sights so high on the next big thing that we inevitably ruin our own fun? Or do we get caught up in an ever-evolving hype machine powered by multi-million dollar corporations? I can't imagine Gearbox set out to piss off not only their own fans, but this new fanbase that has gotten increasingly agitated at lovely titles. Heh, the Sonic generation. I'm gonna go into this expecting nothing but a game based around a franchise I've liked for a long time, that a lot of other companies have already raped and pillaged for their own stories. I can't imagine I'll see something new and exciting, since pretty much every other FPS has done it by now.

But it'll probably be fun because co-op owns.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

"I expect it to be poo poo, so I'm gonna go into it expecting boring, unexciting poo poo. This is gonna own".

What?

Lizame Bizrutal
Mar 19, 2002
I'm just glad it's not 1997. People played this for hours, days, weeks... Aliens Online.

Marine Play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTRjsxkGeBk

Alien Play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94RSxTD0t8s

What the interface looked like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM2102w9sxc

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Hakkesshu posted:

"I expect it to be poo poo, so I'm gonna go into it expecting boring, unexciting poo poo. This is gonna own".

What?

That's how it worked for Battlefield 3. And I was right! It's like the phrase 'make your own fun' is... Alien, to y'all.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
drat. Just bought this on a whim earlier today and now it's preloading on Steam. I came to this thread to share the excitement....and then I started reding it.

Uh-oh:(

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

That's how it worked for Battlefield 3. And I was right! It's like the phrase 'make your own fun' is... Alien, to y'all.

You are spending $60 to "make your own fun" when you could do it better, and for free, by going outside and grabbing a gun-shaped stick.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Lizame Bizrutal posted:

I'm just glad it's not 1997. People played this for hours, days, weeks... Aliens Online.

Marine Play

Alien Play

Oh wow, I'd went looking for footage on this a few years ago but wasn't successful. Sweet!

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Why would you pay for the privilege of making your own fun?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

joneswt posted:

You are spending $60 to "make your own fun" when you could do it better, and for free, by going outside and grabbing a gun-shaped stick.

There's an OUTSIDE?!?!

:rolleyes:

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Why would you pay for the privilege of making your own fun?

I am gonna print this out and frame it. Every time someone buys a video game I am gonna point to it SO HARD.

InsanityIsCrazy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 8, 2013

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Lizame Bizrutal posted:

Marine Play

Alien Play

Holy poo poo. I played this for-loving-ever when it was out. I think I was on the leaderboards for a little while on the Alien side.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I am gonna print this out and frame it. Every time someone buys a video game I am gonna point to it SO HARD.

Are you feeling ok?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dude, it looks loving bad. Like unacceptably so. This is a 50-60 dollar game, god knows what people outside of the states have to pay for it. People have preordered this game, it is a game that has been hyped to a great degree by the developers. When it ends up looking like mediocre garbage then it's a huge loving disappointment.
And no, no one's standards are too high, I played the dipshit Painkiller HD remake and thought it was a blast, and I regularly buy awful Russian indie titles and have a great time. This is a AAA game that looks like it was pulled out of a shovelware companies' rear end as a tie-in to a non-existent upcoming movie.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Didn't play Aliens Online myself but it looks better than Colonial Marines...

Aliens vs Predator was my first Steam game :3:
It wouldn't surprise me if their were a couple people still playing it or AVP2 online to this day.

Did they really throw out the classic green for blue? I don't see what the main attraction is here. Is it the campaign? Because it looks awful and is probably unplayable without 4 friends. The multiplayer versus? Why wouldn't I just play Natural Selection 2? I doubt this game will top that. I'm really not understanding why this game exists.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Ending to the game is starting to pop up on the Internet. As expected it's loving awful.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

JebanyPedal posted:

Dude, it looks loving bad. Like unacceptably so. This is a 50-60 dollar game, god knows what people outside of the states have to pay for it. People have preordered this game, it is a game that has been hyped to a great degree by the developers. When it ends up looking like mediocre garbage then it's a huge loving disappointment.

Helluva opinion, but I'm not seeing it. I think it looks fine.

quote:

And no, no one's standards are too high, I played the dipshit Painkiller HD remake and thought it was a blast, and I regularly buy awful Russian indie titles and have a great time. This is a AAA game that looks like it was pulled out of a shovelware companies' rear end as a tie-in to a non-existent upcoming movie.

Well, Sega did publish it, so you're right on one front :shobon:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Mouser.. posted:

Ending to the game is starting to pop up on the Internet. As expected it's loving awful.

Do tell.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Well it turns out Weyland-Yutani is evil, but the lone marine manages to get in a powerloader and kill the queen (hey guys remember that part from the movie?!) and save the day... OR DO THEY?

I have no idea what the ending actually is, but every AvP game has been pretty well exactly the same in terms of story, this one included, so why should the ending be any different? Powerloader. Queen. Derp.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
With all the negative reactions, I am wondering if they didn't scrap the design concepts from the 2001 version, and just redid some art assets in HD and called it a day.

quote:

A previous game titled Aliens: Colonial Marines was developed by Check Six Games and was to be published by Fox Interactive and Electronic Arts for the PlayStation 2 in 2001, but was cancelled before it's release.

Gearbox has done this before with reviving Duke Nukem Forever without changing any of the level design, using outdated textures, and upscaling them - which then looked awful, as well as the game itself was awful. But, I am sure they turned a quick buck on it and that is what they were going after.

I am wondering if based on all these reactions if it is the same kind of business idea here.

Trying to stay positive. I love the franchise and I hope this game doesn't suck and everything is being blown out of proportion, but then again I also forgot Gearbox and Pitchford have a history of doing just what was described above now.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I really regret spending the $50 I can't quite afford at the moment to have some Aliens environment again. A friend got it and I gave in to peer pressure to join in even though I knew it wasn't going to be good.

Then this pops up today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH0vH5ZJDCw
I love Killing Floor and was just thinking the other day that I wish it had an Aliens mode. No idea how it actually plays, but at least there's some effort out there in the modding community still.

I wonder why it's so hard to make a proper film or game in the Aliens universe. The first two AVP games were great, just like the first two movies (Alien/Aliens, the AVP movies were terrible given the source material available to have made them great), but everything that follows is so mediocre if not down right bad.

edit: clarifying

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

I wonder why it's so hard to make a proper film or game in the Aliens universe. The first two AVP games were great, just like the first two movies, but everything that follows is so mediocre if not down right bad.

The reason why is that the developers want to make a FPS when that is anathema to what worked in the films. The Aliens were deadly because the humans were at a disadvantage and victim of their own hubris and of greed in general. To make a good Alien game you have to be at a real disadvantage.

In Alien they were trapped on a spaceship where even wounding the alien could literally kill everyone onboard, with no weapons but makeshift flamethrowers and prods, and with the smartest person onboard dedicated to killing them. In Aliens they were crippled (they had to use shotguns and flamethrowers), then they lost all their equipment and had to hole up in enemy territory. In Alien 3 they were on a prison planet with no weapons.

Aliens games want to go "Yo, dude, check it out, you've got a smart gun you can fire with impunity" while ignoring that the marine's firepower being castrated was essential to the atmosphere.

• Locked thread