Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

absolutely anything posted:

does directx 5 count as retro

Holy poo poo, I remember Lego Island. That game ruled so hard when I was a kid. The only thing I remember is driving around in my custom built car, and how huge the island felt. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumor Baby
Sep 9, 2011

So after years of putting it off, I finally went and did it: I bought myself one of those newfangled 32-bit Sega Saturn machines, and conveniently enough, it was already modded with a switch to play both U.S. and Japanese regions and an Action Replay cart for 1-4 Meg games, so everything's on the table!

Starting games I've gotten so far are:
NiGHTS
Bug!
Virtua Fighter 2
Daytona
Virtua Cop
Virtual On
Metal Slug (JP)
Konami Antiques MSX Collection (JP)

Games I know I'm going to eventually dig into my coffers and get are:
Bulk Slash (JP)
D & D Arcade Collection (JP)
Astal
Burning Rangers (Probably the JP version since it's so much cheaper)
Sengoku Blade (JP)
Assault Suits Leynos 2 (JP)

Now I want suggestions, but to keep it from spiraling off into "OMG PANZER DRAGOON SAGA" madness, I want suggestions for 2D games, preferably the cheaper editions (so if the Japanese version is 50-100 less than the US edition, please let me know) and arcade ports and collections are awesome, too. About the only really expensive game I'm willing to plunk down the cash for atm is the Capcom D&D games because they're so good and this is the only way to own them other than buying the arcade cabinets.

So, whaddya guys got?

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Jesus christ what the gently caress. The universe is conspiring this week.

So far I have:

Woken up to searing loving pain from five insect / spider bites on my right leg which are itching like gently caress right now.
Was late to work yesterday thanks to fuckstick drivers going slow in the right lane.
Been inundated with calls from people wanting stuff fixed, even though they just dropped it off Friday afternoon, we're closed on weekends and I told them they are about tenth in line when they dropped it off. Then they get huffy. :cripes:
Had ants invading the house because of four days of rain.
Had a headache most of Monday and almost couldn't see straight by the afternoon.
Post came, knocked a piss weak knock and then left a 'Sorry we missed you' card for my package.
Missed out on a ParaParaParadise shell because of some fucksock who put the bids skyhigh with one bid. And it was complete with VGA working monitor, speakers, sub, amp, lights and wiring all still hooked up, that was going to be my loving awesome jukebox.
And now I came home this afternoon to find our bunny of 5 years wide eyed and on his side. :smith: He'd lived the life many only dream about and we're gonna miss him a hell of a lot.

And it's only loving Tuesday.

But things are sort of looking up...

I put my PS3 60GB Fatty, two games and guitar controller up last night at midnight on Ebay at $320 BIN / OBO, came home to find it sold for it's BIN price with only 21 views.
I managed to get out of work early enough to grab my package.

:retrogames: So let's all take a looksie... :retrogames:

Hello package from Japan! You have travelled far and wide to greet me and bring me super happy fun times!

Awwwww yyyyeeaaaahhhhh!

The packaging was Japan all over. Tightly bubble wrapped, then all the carts airbagged into the case.

The NIB stuff was simply amazing and the used stuff was near new as well. Very happy.

So overall it was a pretty :gbsmith: sort of day today. Hope the rest of the week gets better.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
If you have friends that like video games, Saturn Bomberman. One multitap allows seven players, two multitaps allow ten. And of course, the Japanese version is much cheaper.

Guardian Heroes was pretty fun from what I've played (though it seems a bit repetitive). The Japanese version is about half the price, but there's probably some charm to the dialogue you'll miss.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Enemy Zero :getin:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

H1KE posted:

Post came, knocked a piss weak knock and then left a 'Sorry we missed you' card for my package.

I hate it when they don't even try. Seriously, not even trying in the literal sense. I remember I was home all day on a giant quest of kitchen cleaning, and was doing dishes, and my sink is in front of a window that lets me see the front yard and driveway. I saw the deliveryman stop at the end of my driveway at my mailbox, stuff in a "sorry we missed you" note, and drive off without even setting foot on my property, let alone without knocking. :argh:

Keyboard Kid posted:

If you have friends that like video games, Saturn Bomberman. One multitap allows seven players, two multitaps allow ten. And of course, the Japanese version is much cheaper.

Guardian Heroes was pretty fun from what I've played (though it seems a bit repetitive). The Japanese version is about half the price, but there's probably some charm to the dialogue you'll miss.

I'm not going to lie, if I could get everything I needed affordably, I would get a Saturn just because ten-player Bomberman sounds like the most fun thing possible in the world. I would bring it to every get-together.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Tumor Baby posted:

So, whaddya guys got?

Fighters.

Vampire Killer: Lord of Vampire (Darkstalkers 3)
Xmen vs. Street Fighter
Waku Waku Seven (an ugly but fun and fast port of the arcade game)

Seconding Guardian Heroes, but unless you read Japanese fluently or are willing to play with a guide, I'd suggest getting a US copy instead (or X360 version). There's a lot of reading and a branching story that requires you know what choices you pick to get a certain route.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Midnight Raider posted:

I hate it when they don't even try. Seriously, not even trying in the literal sense. I remember I was home all day on a giant quest of kitchen cleaning, and was doing dishes, and my sink is in front of a window that lets me see the front yard and driveway. I saw the deliveryman stop at the end of my driveway at my mailbox, stuff in a "sorry we missed you" note, and drive off without even setting foot on my property, let alone without knocking. :argh:

I reported a contractor for that behaviour. Haven't seen him on the runs since. :) And now, just as I was settling down and starting to relax, getting ready to send off this invoice for the PS3, I see the buyer is from Pakistan. Someone forgot to turn off Worldwide Shipping in his Ebay selling template. :downs:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Did you hear Megami Tensei II for the first time with krikzz's videos of the N8 in action and say "I must have this game?" Because that's what I did, and for the first time eBay worked in my favor. Found a CIB copy with a BIN of $30 IN MY TOWN. Should get it very soon. :getin:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Tumor Baby posted:

So, whaddya guys got?

There's a couple Cotton games that I'd suggest grabbing if you like shooters.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Keyboard Kid posted:

Yes yes yes yes yes do this.

You can play as Bonk or Master Higgins, for gently caress's sake.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Oh my gosh the box for Hogan's Alley in Japan is simply magnificent. I think I might have to get one because it was the #1 game my sisters and I played on our NES and the only real reason I'm building a converter box for NES ports.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

ACID POLICE posted:

I got my Kongfeng GB Boy Colour today and made a video of me playing a couple games really badly with one hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYHF8P9KEps

e: I do have the battery cover, I was just SO HYPE to play it i didn't even put it back on

I probably attributed to 3-4 views on that video. Where are you guys getting those?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

HKR posted:

Today's Haul

Anyone with a Virtual Boy need a controller/AC cord want to trade something?

If this is still up for sale/trade I'm still interested. Are you in need of any of my dupes:

- NES Zapper (Grey)
- NES controller (I will find best extra I have and clean the poo poo out of it)
- NES Mario 3
- NES Mario/Duck Hunt
- Sega Genesis Maximum Carnage with case possibly manual
- 1-10 NES sleeves

Let me know if any of this floats your boat :D

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Hey do any of you have an extra CIB Street Fighter II SCE for Genesis?

trunkwontopen: fatpat268 got them and he posted a couple pages back the taobao search term that'll let you find them. They're not very expensive but you probably have to deal with a forwarding service.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

ACID POLICE posted:

Hey do any of you have an extra CIB Street Fighter II SCE for Genesis?

trunkwontopen: fatpat268 got them and he posted a couple pages back the taobao search term that'll let you find them. They're not very expensive but you probably have to deal with a forwarding service.

Yea, I'm plan on getting a few more once Chinese New Year is over. They're not that expensive, but I got slammed with a higher than I expected shipping price. I plan on getting a bigger batch next time, now that I know they work great.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

ACID POLICE posted:

Thanks. Found the link to them. I'll see what I can figure out on how to get 1 or 2 of these things over to the States. These things are only $12??

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

trunkwontopen posted:

Thanks. Found the link to them. I'll see what I can figure out on how to get 1 or 2 of these things over to the States. These things are only $12??

Yes. But when I ordered two a few weeks ago, all told I was about $60 in the hole for them (still not much, mind you). You have to pay shipping to the brokers, and a few (usually not much). And then once they receive it, you have to pay shipping to get shipped to you. This cost me almost $20.

Also, the whole process takes at a minimum of 3 weeks to get to you.

Edit: Oh, and ACID, if you haven't already, I recommend taking off the screen protector, as it adds a small blue/greenish hue to the screen.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 12, 2013

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

fatpat268 posted:

Yes. But when I ordered two a few weeks ago, all told I was about $60 in the hole for them (still not much, mind you). You have to pay shipping to the brokers, and a few (usually not much). And then once they receive it, you have to pay shipping to get shipped to you. This cost me almost $20.

Also, the whole process takes at a minimum of 3 weeks to get to you.

Edit: Oh, and ACID, if you haven't already, I recommend taking off the screen protector, as it adds a small blue/greenish hue to the screen.

Hmm. seems like a headache. I don't mind waiting. Did they come with those extra carts as well? I love some of the higher end Chinese knock off crap.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Not major retro as it's still PS2, but I waltzed into the only gamestop within 100 miles around me that had Dragon Quest VIII and walked out wit this beauty.

100 percent complete, box is in fantastic shape, little fading on the top and a slash fade on the back. Comes complete with instructions and the FFXII demo disc is also there. Gamestop may be terrible, but I paid $9.94 for this so needless to say I really struck gold.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

H1KE posted:

Awwwww yyyyeeaaaahhhhh!
So overall it was a pretty :gbsmith: sort of day today. Hope the rest of the week gets better.

Sorry about your pet; long a pet always sucks. If it makes you feel better, your SFC carrying case is pretty drat awesome. Get your rear end down to Petco or something and give the spot your pet left behind to another animal, that way he did not die in vain :3:

Also if you get a rabbit name him "Like Like" thx

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 13, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Sorry about your pet; long a pet always sucks. If it makes you feel better, your SFC carrying case is pretty drat awesome. Get your rear end down to Petco or something and give the spot your pet left behind to another animal, that way he did not die in vain :3:

Also if you get a rabbit name him "Like Like" thx

Protip for anyone interested in a projector: get what is called a CRT projector. They upscale low-res stuff incredibly. My friend has one (an Infocus brand one he got for like $500 and that was years ago) and both the regular 480p Wii, the SNES over s-video, and 1080p Blu-Ray movies look astounding.

Are you sure it's InFocus? They only do DLP last I checked and CRT projectors are far larger than what you normally see.

Edit: To clarify, they're far larger based on the fact they have 3 separate lenses for RGB. A standard LCD/DLP projector only has one.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 12, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Great now I'm thinking of buying a projector

This fuckin thread :retrogames:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

trunkwontopen posted:

Hmm. seems like a headache. I don't mind waiting. Did they come with those extra carts as well? I love some of the higher end Chinese knock off crap.

Maybe. I got mine off a different seller, so I can't guarantee you'd get the carts with another seller.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Are you sure it's InFocus? They only do DLP last I checked and CRT projectors are far larger than what you normally see.

Edit: To clarify, they're far larger based on the fact they have 3 separate lenses for RGB. A standard LCD/DLP projector only has one.

Crap, maybe you are right. I just texted him to find out for sure. Goons, hold back on buying your projectors for at least 20 minutes.

All I can say is that it was hi def but low-res stuff had big, beautiful pixels and did not look like it was being upscaled or anything. The Wii reminded me of how good Dreamcast looked over a CRT VGA.

Edit: I just looked up CRT projectors; it's definitely not that :stare:

Most likely DLP; I am just surprised because I associated DLP with those crappy TVs from ~2003.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Go big or go home

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^^ Hahaha that owns, I saw one like that at Goodwill a while ago and nearly bought it but skipped out, part of me wishes I had though because look at that goddamn thing

triplexpac posted:

Great now I'm thinking of buying a projector

This fuckin thread :retrogames:

You should, for real, mine is literally one of the best tech purchases I have ever made. It's pretty nifty being the house with the projector when it comes time to have a movie night somewhere too. Pair it with a decent soundsystem [my next acquisition will be this] and it makes for good times.

I mean it's not a replacement for a TV, just because you need to keep the room dark as gently caress for it to look good, but I love it.

Also, having a screen that size does wonders for games with big senses of scale like Katamari and Just Cause 2. :D

e. and mine is a DLP

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Also projectors are pretty cheap considering how utterly awesome they are.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Also projectors are pretty cheap considering how utterly awesome they are.

Yes, this too. I paid $700 for a 160" 720p TV which weighs like 2 pounds and is incredibly portable and is virtually lag-free. Barring the requirements for darkness and space, that's pretty awesome.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
I had an old projector I used during the ps2/GameCube/Xbox era. I always noted a kind of afterimage thing on the 3d games. Has this been fixed with the newer projectors or would I have to use a certain type of cable?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rikimaru posted:

I had an old projector I used during the ps2/GameCube/Xbox era. I always noted a kind of afterimage thing on the 3d games. Has this been fixed with the newer projectors or would I have to use a certain type of cable?

Never seen this before on mine, on component, VGA or DVI.

That just made me remember 4 player Halo matches back in college, I worked at the university center and after hours some weekends we'd snatch a projector and hook it up in the giant concert/general purpose "big loving room" we had. The sound system in there was amazing, and it was cool playing Halo 1 on a like 300" screen. You want to talk blur? That was some blur. :v: Fun though!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
While CRT projectors are really cool I'd suggest avoiding them. Convergence is an even bigger bitch on them and lamps as well since they're pretty much exposed they're very very prone to popping and are very expensive since they're getting scarce

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

trunkwontopen posted:

I'm kind of interested in one of these things, too. I'm so tempted to offer to split shipping with you to get one, seeing as I could literally drive to get it. That sounds weird, but I saw your offer on that sexy mother 3 gba micro in SA mart and recognized the zip code as being about 5 miles from here. Sup GR area retrogoon? I thought I was the only one in this hellish wasteland.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rikimaru posted:

I noticed the afterimage thing too on an Infocus projector I used to have (the Infocus X1). This was a DLP projector, and I swore them off, so I am not sure how my friend's projector could be DLP because I never noticed the issue on his.

It's called the "rainbow effect" and only someone like me with lovely vision would also be cursed to noticed such spergy things as a dead pixel, LCD ghosting no matter how quick the response time, and the "rainbow effect" I get from DLP projectors. Basically it uses a color wheel to produce the images, and a good 10% of the population, when darting their eyes across the screen, can see a very visible red, green, and blue pattern fly across the screen.

Naturally, it drove me nuts. My eyes are very oddly anal-retentive considering I am drat near blind. For example, I also had a serious issue with CRT computer monitors (never had the issue with CRT televisions though) always causing my eyes to water like crazy. I think it was the 60hz they ran at or something. I am assuming that if you are one of those people who had tired/watery eyes from a 60hz CRT computer monitor, you'd probably have an issue with DLP projectors, as well.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

I noticed the afterimage thing too on an Infocus projector I used to have (the Infocus X1). This was a DLP projector, and I swore them off, so I am not sure how my friend's projector could be DLP because I never noticed the issue on his.

It's called the "rainbow effect" and only someone like me with lovely vision would also be cursed to noticed such spergy things as a dead pixel, LCD ghosting no matter how quick the response time, and the "rainbow effect" I get from DLP projectors. Basically it uses a color wheel to produce the images, and a good 10% of the population, when darting their eyes across the screen, can see a very visible red, green, and blue pattern fly across the screen.

Naturally, it drove me nuts. My eyes are very oddly anal-retentive considering I am drat near blind. For example, I also had a serious issue with CRT computer monitors (never had the issue with CRT televisions though) always causing my eyes to water like crazy. I think it was the 60hz they ran at or something. I am assuming that if you are one of those people who had tired/watery eyes from a 60hz CRT computer monitor, you'd probably have an issue with DLP projectors, as well.

Oh man, 60hz computer monitors were the worst. The first place I ever worked, only had monitors capable of 60hz at 1024x768. The loving flicker always gave me massive headaches and tired eyes. I always made sure my monitor was capable of at least 75hz.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Protip for anyone interested in a projector: get what is called a CRT projector. They upscale low-res stuff incredibly. My friend has one (an Infocus brand one he got for like $500 and that was years ago) and both the regular 480p Wii, the SNES over s-video, and 1080p Blu-Ray movies look astounding.

EDIT: MIGHT NOT BE CRT; PLEASE HOLD WHILE CONFIRMING.

Be sure to tell us whenever you find out what make and model your friend uses, because I'm definitely interested now. A projector that can handle a wide generation of game systems and still look decent, while giving a huge picture without needing the space/manpower to get a giant television would be delightful. It'd be extra appealing to me since I want my eventual gameroom to pull double duty as a miniature theater. (Possibly even with actual theater seats. :v:)

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I got a present in the mail from our goony dude Crimson Harvest today :v:

I guess I'll probably end up fixing my friend's NES for him (he tried to do disable the 10NES to fix the blinking but hasn't ever worked on electronics before so i'll probably be facing some :stonk:)

Thanks again Harvest!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Raider posted:

Be sure to tell us whenever you find out what make and model your friend uses, because I'm definitely interested now. A projector that can handle a wide generation of game systems and still look decent, while giving a huge picture without needing the space/manpower to get a giant television would be delightful. It'd be extra appealing to me since I want my eventual gameroom to pull double duty as a miniature theater. (Possibly even with actual theater seats. :v:)

Okay he got back to me; it's an Infocus IN72.

Here is the product page for it:

http://www.infocus.com/projectors/discontinued-projectors/infocus-in70-projector-series/infocus-in72-projector

Turns out I'm a total idiot and the reason retro consoles look so good is it's only a 480p projector it seems?

I don't know how that could be since I could almost 100% recall us playing King Kong on the XBox 360 HD DVD drive (lol) and it looked glorious? I mean it says it takes "1080p/30, 1080p/60" and so on. But maybe that means it will accept those resolutions but not that it will display them? I don't know, I really remember HD looking awesome on it.

Even odder is that it is apparently DLP. I had an Infocus DLP projector and I don't remember it looking like it had a nice resolution. I also noticed the "rainbow effect" on the Infocus DLP I had, but I tried and could not see it on my friend's IN72.

I don't know what to believe any longer. :ohdear:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

ACID POLICE posted:

You received my entire childhood in the mail today.

Just to let you know what you're in for, I beat Double Dragon 2 on Supreme Master difficulty at the tender age of eight and present-day 33-year-old me still can't land one of those loving Top Gun planes.

Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

ACID POLICE posted:

I guess I'll probably end up fixing my friend's NES for him (he tried to do disable the 10NES to fix the blinking but hasn't ever worked on electronics before so i'll probably be facing some :stonk:)

Thanks again Harvest!

Yay it came :neckbeard:

• Locked thread