Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Turns out I can't even use the Install Communist Gov't CB unless I'm a Great Power :( I'm currently #11 on the rankings, and everyone else is either a European nation, the United States, China or protected by one of them.

Even if I gobble up all of South America I'm probably not going to rack up enough Prestige to break into the top 8, and although I'm top-tier when it comes to tech even someone like Italy all by itself has a hundred brigades to my 33, so I can't quite go around shrugging off the Infamy limit yet.

What else is there to do? Are there other avenues for expansion or am I stuck because I chose a South American nation?

pdxjohan posted:

Should be the same everywhere.

Thanks! If all your future releases end up as Steam exclusives I might just end up rebuying the whole catalog on there too :steam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
1) Research all the prestige techs (first column on the left for culture)

2) Use "Place in the Sun", "Humiliate" or "Cut down to size" CB on big nations, it will drain their prestige and boost yours.

3) Build factroys and soldiers whose courage push the bravery.

4) If it's still not quite the 1900s yet, you may have time to try to collapse some of the bigger GPs; declare war and take some of their core provinces. If you are successful, you will be able to boost their Revanchicm, giving them fascist problems later on. If it's already the 1900s it's probably too late but it's worth a shot.

5) Colonize if there's stuff to colonize left in Africa. Each province colonized is 1 more prestige.

E: Also, to help me decide on MoE, are there any announced features that are not directly tied to warfare? If there are what the hell, I'll get it.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Stalingrad posted:

I enjoy that England is "British" but Scotland and Wales have distinct national identities.

Also that most of Switzerland is in the French culture group, and that Hungarians, Romanians and the culturally-homogeneous Balts are all various types of Slavs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Stalingrad posted:

I enjoy that England is "British" but Scotland and Wales have distinct national identities.

Assuming equivalence with culture in other games, that seems a reasonable way of setting up the UK so that it can be broken up and reconquered.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Alchenar posted:

Assuming equivalence with culture in other games, that seems a reasonable way of setting up the UK so that it can be broken up and reconquered.

Yes, but that would work just as well if they called the English English.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Friend Commuter posted:

Yes, but that would work just as well if they called the English English.

No because it wouldn't follow that the English would have any claims on the rest of the Ireland. This is a point in history at which 'Britishness' is by no means the primary way in which someone would self-define but which would certainly be used to forcibly restore the Union.

Basically the English would feel to have a claim on the others that isn't reciprocated - it's sensible to reflect that.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Alchenar posted:

No because it wouldn't follow that the English would have any claims on the rest of the Ireland. This is a point in history at which 'Britishness' is by no means the primary way in which someone would self-define but which would certainly be used to forcibly restore the Union.

Basically the English would feel to have a claim on the others that isn't reciprocated - it's sensible to reflect that.

By that reasoning, shouldn't the Russian culture be called Slavic, and Prussian renamed German? I think it's more helpful to call them English because British is a term that means something other than "Nothing but English people". It's certainly not a major problem or anything but it seems silly to label English culture something else because they think they have a claim on Ireland.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'd imagine it's probably to prevent England from seceding/being 'liberated' in war and having an England and a Great Britain composed of Ireland, Wales, and Scotland.

Also I think you're thinking too literally about this. The cultures are probably intended more to reflect the dominant issues of that one decade the game takes place in rather than what specific cultures actually existed at that point. Prussian wouldn't be German because German reunification wasn't as big a deal when Prussia was fighting in the Napoleonic wars as the idea of Great Britain was to the British.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'd imagine it's probably to prevent England from seceding/being 'liberated' in war and having an England and a Great Britain composed of Ireland, Wales, and Scotland.

That's easily prevented by not having an England tag, and just renaming Great Britain to England when it loses the Celts.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I don't see how changing the name in the localization file affects that. As long as there are no England cores, England won't secede. If you want England in the game, you could have Great Britain turn into England and lose all cores outside England and maybe Wales if it ever loses Scotland and stops being a GP.

quote:

Also I think you're thinking too literally about this. The cultures are probably intended more to reflect the dominant issues of that one decade the game takes place in rather than what specific cultures actually existed at that point. Prussian wouldn't be German because German reunification wasn't as big a deal when Prussia was fighting in the Napoleonic wars as the idea of Great Britain was to the British.

I've never really seen anything in a Paradox to suggest the culture of a province doesn't reflect the nationality of the people living there rather, but rather the dominant issues to the people in the province. Like in EUIII, the settlement policy decisions don't convince everyone English is a more important issue than Welsh, it encourages more English people to move to Wales so there are more English people than Welsh.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 12, 2013

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I'm most confused about the number of different German cultures, but a single French one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bloodly posted:

I appreciate where you're coming from somewhat, but half the damm point is that you/the AI can ensure it doesn't go that way. Events for forcing history to occur 'as it did' is pointless when the whole point is things can and probably will go differently.

Though it could be that I'm jumping on something only I see.

Then what you do is make events with two choices: one historical, and the other ahistorical. The player can choose between the two, but add the line "ai_chance = 100" to the historical option, which forces the AI to take it every time. That way a player Great Britain can keep the empire together if he wants, but if you're not playing GB you don't have to constantly deal with the eternal British megalith.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

DrProsek posted:

I don't see how changing the name in the localization file affects that. As long as there are no England cores, England won't secede. If you want England in the game, you could have Great Britain turn into England and lose all cores outside England and maybe Wales if it ever loses Scotland and stops being a GP.

I've never really seen anything in a Paradox to suggest the culture of a province doesn't reflect the nationality of the people living there rather, but rather the dominant issues to the people in the province. Like in EUIII, the settlement policy decisions don't convince everyone English is a more important issue than Welsh, it encourages more English people to move to Wales so there are more English people than Welsh.

Well, I meant issues more in the sense of "Was Norman independence, or German unification, etc., a big thing on people's minds at the time." Basically, is there a particular reason that France shouldn't have just one big French culture, aside from verisimilitude? Maybe there is, I don't know--most of my knowledge of the Napoleonic Wars is about international events rather than intranational, so maybe there are good arguments for it. If, for example, there were a lot of Normans or Occitans planning to break away from Napoleonic France, or if e.g. the Prussians had plans to forcibly break up France in such a manner, then absolutely there should be more French cultures than just the one. But if France was more or less stable on the homefront as far as ethnic/cultural divisions within its own borders go, in the one decade this game encompasses, then there's not particularly any reason to model more than just a French culture.

Though I agree it wouldn't hurt to do so, and I'm not arguing that they were necessarily right to do it as they did--I just don't think it's as big a problem as people are making it out to be.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Starting at 1805 my impression is that internal strife in France is basically over. There's no more revolution/counter-revolution, Napoleon is firmly in charge, nobody seriously tries to rock the boat.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
There's considerable ethically-tinged tension throughout the 1790s (minorities were somewhat more likely to be counterrevolutionary) but by the Napoleonic period I don't think that that's still a factor.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'm glad V2's getting a new expansion, because AHD has some quirks:

They've had "annex Tibet" as their wargoal for the past 4 years, and I'm not letting them do it (nor would the AI in my position: it's 85 warscore and they're barely at 30) so presumably they're hoping to cut their losses and take NO_TEXT_FOR_KEYSTATE instead.

EDIT: NO_TEXT_FOR_KEYSTATE cost 0 warscore, but the Brits would take that and not a white peace. It resulted in me losing no land.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 12, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Patter Song posted:

I'm glad V2's getting a new expansion, because AHD has some quirks:

Paradox Grand Strategy: No country for old men, NO_TEXT_FOR_KEYSTATE

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alchenar posted:

Paradox Grand Strategy: No country for old men, NO_TEXT_FOR_KEYSTATE

Actually, after this GameSpy preview:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/europa-universalis-iv/1227370p1.html

I'm pretty sure the only acceptable thread title is Paradox Grand Strategy: It's like going from masturbating to sex. Anything else would be a crime against nature. :shobon:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well that's a love letter if ever I saw one.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Paradox Grand Strategy: It's like going from masturbating to sex

Johan posted:

Producer Johan Anderson would agree ... "I shouldn't say this, but it's like going from masturbating to sex. It's a whole different thing."

Johan, never change.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

"EU4 fixes all that by not just measuring the outcome of a war based on the absolute strength of the two combatants, but also by considering what they are fighting for. When I took Normandy from the English, I had won a major victory because I'd declared war specifically over Normandy. England wasn't totally beaten, but I went to the peace table with a big edge because I'd already taken my objectives by force. This should make those routine endless, apocalyptic wars of EU3 a thing of the past, and encourage more varied international relations. Now "limited war" is a real strategy."

:allears: This is an amazing change! I hope it also makes it into Victoria at some point, as it would solve some of that game's "colonial war" issues. It really IS like going from masturbating to sex!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gradenko_2000 posted:

"EU4 fixes all that by not just measuring the outcome of a war based on the absolute strength of the two combatants, but also by considering what they are fighting for. When I took Normandy from the English, I had won a major victory because I'd declared war specifically over Normandy. England wasn't totally beaten, but I went to the peace table with a big edge because I'd already taken my objectives by force. This should make those routine endless, apocalyptic wars of EU3 a thing of the past, and encourage more varied international relations. Now "limited war" is a real strategy."

:allears: This is an amazing change! I hope it also makes it into Victoria at some point, as it would solve some of that game's "colonial war" issues. It really IS like going from masturbating to sex!

I know, that's really hopeful. The all-out Total Wars in EU3 could be a bit much. Really excited for them to announce a release date so I can schedule some time off.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Though I agree it wouldn't hurt to do so, and I'm not arguing that they were necessarily right to do it as they did--I just don't think it's as big a problem as people are making it out to be.

I honestly don't really think it's a major issue either :(. I just thought the culture map had some amusing choices including Lithuania through Estonia being Balt culture, Spain and France being monoculture, Italy having 4 different cultures, and Hungarians and Romanians being slavs. I don't really feel any of these are gamebreakingly wrong, just seeing all these small issues together seemed amusing to me.

To get away from nitpicking a jpg, here's a jpg of my own! An interesting fellow has become Duke of Malta in my EUIII+ game....

By the way, anyone more familiar with Malta than I am, EUIII+ puts Malta in the Semitic culture group with cultures like Bedouin, Berber, and Maghreb Arabs. Is Maltese really influenced that heavily by Arabic culture, I thought it was like Sicily where it certainly is an influence but overall is still an Italian culture?

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 13, 2013

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Well, linguistically yes. Maltese is a Semitic language, like Arabic and Hebrew. Maltese is actually descended from Sicilian Arabic, though the language today has heavy influences from Italian and English.

Bishop Rodan fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 13, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Bishop Rodan posted:

Well, linguistically yes. Maltese is a Semitic language, like Arabic and Hebrew. Maltese is actually descended from Sicilian Arabic, though the language today has heavy influences from Italian and English.

Huh. I actually never knew that, I just always assumed Malta spoke Italian or maybe English. Never knew they had their own language, much less that it was a Semitic one. :tipshat:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bishop Rodan posted:

This is true, and it's also true that the British, during their century-and-a-half colonial rule in Malta, actively promoted the Maltese language to help foster a separate Maltese sense of nationalism, out of fear that Malta would be swept up in the Risorgimento and demand to join Italy. By actively promoting Maltese identity they managed to quash feelings that Malta should be part of Italy.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Bishop Rodan posted:

This is a big problem in EU3 and the Paradox community in general - people seem to be of the belief that culture groups are language groups. I can't tell you how many mods put Finland in the same Culture Group as Hungary, Korean and Mongolia, etc. It's flat-out ridiculous.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I just pre-ordered March of the Eagles because it comes with Sengoku. This was probably a mistake. At least the pre-order discount means that with tax it was only $20.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
I wrote a detailed OP for a reason. :colbert:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I love the idea of just having random hot seat cameos dropping into my game. Can. Not. Wait.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Johann, can you tell the people in that Steam thread on the Paradox forums that going from older forms of distribution to Steam is like going from masturbation to sex with 50 million people?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kersch posted:

Johann, can you tell the people in that Steam thread on the Paradox forums that going from older forms of distribution to Steam is like going from masturbation to sex with 50 million people?

Seriously, Steam is the best thing that ever happened to consumers in the video game industry, and as Amazon has been showing lately, Steam is in no way creating a monopoly, just establishing the new (and vastly-improved) standard for distribution. Buying games on sale at Steam can lead to discounts so staggering that it will make you feel like a patsy for ever buying games at retail at physical outlets. Games that you've never heard of from independent developers are given publicity in front of a worldwide audience.

It flabbergasts me whenever I go into the Paradox forums and notice how many people hate Steam. It always reminds me of people who refused to learn how to use e-mail because it was "just a fad" 15-20 years ago.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Patter Song posted:

Seriously, Steam is the best thing that ever happened to consumers in the video game industry, and as Amazon has been showing lately, Steam is in no way creating a monopoly, just establishing the new (and vastly-improved) standard for distribution. Buying games on sale at Steam can lead to discounts so staggering that it will make you feel like a patsy for ever buying games at retail at physical outlets. Games that you've never heard of from independent developers are given publicity in front of a worldwide audience.

It flabbergasts me whenever I go into the Paradox forums and notice how many people hate Steam. It always reminds me of people who refused to learn how to use e-mail because it was "just a fad" 15-20 years ago.

It's doubly shocking with regards to paradox games, since there's no steam DRM on them even if you buy them off steam.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Patter Song posted:

In fairness, I can understand being upset with the idea of Steam for the same reason as I can understand being upset at the idea of iTunes: you don't technically own your games you are leasing them. If you Steam account is banned for whatever reason, you lose all the games. I mean, I've yet to see Steam ban anyone unfairly (I got banned once when my account got hacked but one support ticket later and I was back) and I don't think it's even possible to get banned from Amazon or similar services, but that is one complaint that I admit is a valid concern about Steam.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DrProsek posted:

Huh. I actually never knew that, I just always assumed Malta spoke Italian or maybe English. Never knew they had their own language, much less that it was a Semitic one. :tipshat:
Malta is kind of the poster child for a "crossway culture", being smack in the middle of the Mediterranean and having been controlled by very different cultures through the centuries (and many under the multinational Knights of Malta). That said, Maltese looks like Italian vocabulary wrapped in Arabic grammar and structure.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

It's doubly shocking with regards to paradox games, since there's no steam DRM on them even if you buy them off steam.

It's like fighting birthers or truthers or chemtrails people, I swear. Even when you tell them that you can just copy the entire game folder out to C:\Games\ or wherever you want and do whatever you want for it and you never need Steam except to actually install the game, which isn't so different from using Gamersgate's client except maybe slower and more bulky, they still come up with this ridiculous anecdote about how it's bad for your computer or something.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Gilg posted:

Newbie question, but starting as France in EU3, what is the preferred way of uniting France? Diplo-annexing your vassals one at a time over decades? Or mixing in re-conquests? In my game I just started, I cancelled vassalisation and annexed one, but apparently my prestige is too low to do that process again.

I haven't played this game in a while, is this something new? I dont remember prestige affecting my ability to declare wars or release vassals....

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

At the start of the game you have close to zero prestige and releasing a vassal costs xx prestige, and you must be at positive prestige to do it. It doesn't have anything to do with your ability to declare wars. I don't think it's anything new, but I've only played since Divine Wind so before that who knows.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Jean Pony posted:

At the start of the game you have close to zero prestige and releasing a vassal costs xx prestige, and you must be at positive prestige to do it. It doesn't have anything to do with your ability to declare wars. I don't think it's anything new, but I've only played since Divine Wind so before that who knows.

If you want to cheese it, you can declare a pointless war and offer to release all your vassals in a peace deal. It's the only way I could unify Germany properly, since by the time I could form Germany drat near every German minor was my vassal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I just bought March of the Eagles so if someone wants a key to Sengoku they can have it, I have the complete EU3 as well if someone wants that.

• Locked thread