Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, so we're abusing front-wheel-drive shitboxes now? :smug:

So I was looking for a fun drive. I thought I was here, and this road is paved. But I was in fact here. VDOT tells me I'm supposed to turn around, I of course don't care. I also don't care that I'm running on the cheapest all-season tires I could get new.

HHHHHHHGH. The cheap tires show their true worth.

Truth is, they work just fine when you get a running start.

Crispy noises coming from underneath. Who ever needed a lift anyway?

OH YOU THINK YOU SMART HUH? You think that's gonna stop me?

:cawg:

Listen here motherfucker I'ma show you someth:gonk:

gently caress, it's too small. that's what she said

The city's five miles away, how the hell does it look like I'm in the middle of nowhere?

There's even tracks under the drat thing, how the gently caress?

So what other resources do I have available? I've got a huge Swiss Army knife... but that's even smaller. Hmm.

Oh I know!

my dick is so cold right now

So how long is it gonna take til I get a chance to turn around?

Ok seriously this is getting annoying, can I go forward now?

Bout time.

Oh, what have we here?

ungh!

HNNNNGH! Welp.

Might be easier to try here...

...but I'm actually not trying to get hellastuck.

i don't know what the gently caress

Back where I started.

On pavement!

Wook! Wedneck twacks!

I was just up there...

And the car still runs.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

"Probably one of the only cars in the world driving without camshafts". Yeah, you know, apart from the hundreds of thousands of Wankel powered cars out there.

Don't the new Fiats use pneumatically controlled vales?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've driven every car I've ever owned in worse conditions than that just commuting to work or school. :canada:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

tbb9 posted:

Not exactly, the engine still has camshafts, they just don't act directly on the valves allowing for more precise valve control.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tbb9 posted:

No, the "twinair" is in reference to metering airflow into the engine by the valves rather than the throttle. Think of it like hydraulic tappets, but with the amount of oil in them (and so the amount of valve lift) being actively controlled by a solenoid valve system. More oil, more lift, more "throttle".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tbb9 posted:

Not quite, they use a hydraulic buffer between the cam and the valve, allowing adjustment of both lift and duration, but the valves aren't completely independent like on the pneumatic system in the video.

E: ^^^^ What they said.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fucknag posted:

I've been laughing my rear end off for the last minute at this.

The best part: the wrangler on the other side (driven by your typical mallcrawler Jeep Bro with a billion bolt-ons and absolutely no use for the jeep) has exactly the same tires as the red XJ. We peer pressured him into trying to climb my tire on the other side and maybe 3" off the ground he heard one suspension clunk and backed down saying "I don't wanna gently caress your poo poo up bro!"

He had lockers, the red XJ was open/open. We told him maybe some more armourall on his sidewalls would help :haw:

CommieGIR posted:

Its an XJ high five.

The white one is actually my MJ, but close enough :ssh:

e: Friar Zucchini, I laughed way harder than I should have at your photo journal at the top of this page.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpTKTwEQksE

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Crosspostin' this from the Youtube thread, because it's pretty drat cool.

I like this latest Koenigsegg video from Drive. It's a great example of how Koenigsegg isn't just about flashy fast cars, they've got some serious engineering going on as well, and may actually be putting individually controlled pneumatic valve actuation in their next car. They have a Saab 9-5 running pneumatic valves as a prototype car, even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bch5B23_pu0

One thing that comes to mind when watching the /Drive Koenigsegg videos is that the cars are going to be really difficult to maintain once the company no longer exists. Everything is bespoke and custom made in small series. Hopefully someone buys all the tooling, source code etc. after the possible bankruptcy. The lifespan of small supercar manufacturers tends to be quite limited, although they've already done better than most.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

kastein posted:

The best part: the wrangler on the other side (driven by your typical mallcrawler Jeep Bro with a billion bolt-ons and absolutely no use for the jeep) has exactly the same tires as the red XJ. We peer pressured him into trying to climb my tire on the other side and maybe 3" off the ground he heard one suspension clunk and backed down saying "I don't wanna gently caress your poo poo up bro!"

He had lockers, the red XJ was open/open. We told him maybe some more armourall on his sidewalls would help :haw:

And he had a 4:1 t-case advantage, unless that's yet another regular TJ with a RUBICON sticker slapped on.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Looks like a challenge to me. Redline and 130+ isn't in the "NO!" section. :getin:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I always wanted to know what car that was from because that is a straight up NA Miata tach.

No I take it back, it looks like a Nissan one now to me.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

:cop:: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
:haw:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Oh hello there McLaren MP4. I'm on the left, my co-worker on the right. Neither of us own the car, unfortunately. The guy was parked hard in front of Sullivan's in Baton Rouge. When the guy left he got on the freeway and railed it and it sounded like heaven.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Terrible Robot posted:

"Probably one of the only cars in the world driving without camshafts". Yeah, you know, apart from the hundreds of thousands of Wankel powered cars out there.

That was a really excellent video, I love listening to Christian talk about his cars :allears:. I've been hearing about individually actuated valves for years, and it's really great that it's getting close to being viable for production. When he started talking about using an air tank for energy capture or (even better) as a kind of instantaneous turbo I got all giddy.

I know this is a page back, but I have done A LOT of research with camless valves from my supermileage days. It turns out that nothing but a mechanical system will use the least amount of energy from the engine. This is because the cams are mechanically linked directly to the source of power. There are massive inefficiency losses with trying to convert engine power into another motive for the valves.

Like to use electromagnets for example requires converting mechanical engine energy into electrical energy which converts back into mechanical energy to drive the valves. Two conversions with efficiency losses between them. The research I have done have covered pneumatic, electronic, and hydraulic. All have the same conversion loss. The name of the game is going to be trying to get that efficiency back. Analog devices like mosfets are getting more and more efficient all the time, converting less electricity to heat. Along with this, you can design the electromagnet to consume less power and output more force by making the magnet larger and run at higher voltages.

Like electrical, efficiency gains for pneumatic and hydraulic solutions come from using better pumps, lighter fluids or gasses. Running at higher pressures is similar to running higher voltages for the electronic equivalent, less energy is lost in the system.

Another thing when considering all of these losses are the gains in performance. As of right now they do not outweigh the losses, however experimenting with the valve wave form, valve action, and other variables may one day change that. There is also the question of what you are aiming for. If it is pure power output capability, a camless system is ideal. The losses don't matter so much in a high performance setting like racing. If you are after fuel efficiency, not so much. The losses actually consume more fuel than they save with current engine technology.

Finally, the last thing that needs consideration is durability. Mechanical cam systems do wear, but very slowly in comparison with camless options. Pneumatic/hydraulic lines fatigue, pumps wear out, batteries age, etc, all at a much higher rate than a valve-train or timing chain/belt. Advances in material engineering may cover this one day. But, "Will we still even be using gasoline at that point?" is the real question.

TL;DR Camless systems aren't practical...yet.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 21, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I wonder if the valve closing could be harnessed, similar to regenerative braking? Actually, designing the valve solenoid circuit correctly could result in a circuit that's mostly resonant at the right frequency to open and close the valves at the right times, so the driver would just have to "pump" the circuit to keep it going and make up for the portions where valve lift wouldn't exactly match the result provided by the resonance alone. This would only really work well with engines running at a set RPM, or with drivers built with multiple banks of capacitors to stay "nearly resonant" (low Q factor would obviously be required here...) at most engine RPMs. I think it would go very well with a CVT, keeping the engine at the same speed at all times would greatly simplify the resonant circuit + valve solenoid driver circuit design.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

rcman50166 posted:

TL;DR Camless systems aren't practical...yet.

Thanks for taking the time to write all this up, it was very informative. I hadn't even considered the most basic hindrance to it, the Conservation of Energy :doh:. Still, it sounds like it will probably be put to use in high performance engines if nothing else and it will be interesting to see just how much of a game changer it will be in racing.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

kastein posted:

I wonder if the valve closing could be harnessed, similar to regenerative braking? Actually, designing the valve solenoid circuit correctly could result in a circuit that's mostly resonant at the right frequency to open and close the valves at the right times, so the driver would just have to "pump" the circuit to keep it going and make up for the portions where valve lift wouldn't exactly match the result provided by the resonance alone. This would only really work well with engines running at a set RPM, or with drivers built with multiple banks of capacitors to stay "nearly resonant" (low Q factor would obviously be required here...) at most engine RPMs. I think it would go very well with a CVT, keeping the engine at the same speed at all times would greatly simplify the resonant circuit + valve solenoid driver circuit design.

I actually have some insight on this as well. Sikorsky has been recently researching into hydraulic energy recovery systems to reduce the amount of hydraulic power that is needed to change rotor angles (which happens once per revolution, so thing rotor twisting back and forth so fast it might as well be vibrating) in their helicopters. As far as my university, which works closely with the company, has come up with, there isn't really a lightweight, efficient, reliable, or even cheap solution to this. The initial idea is to dump the high pressure fluid returning from the valves into a pump or other energy generating device to be put back into the pumping system. So far nothing has worked out.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 21, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

Thanks for taking the time to write all this up, it was very informative. I hadn't even considered the most basic hindrance to it, the Conservation of Energy :doh:. Still, it sounds like it will probably be put to use in high performance engines if nothing else and it will be interesting to see just how much of a game changer it will be in racing.

Probably not as much as you think. F1 use gas springs instead of conventional ones and, really, in racing the spread of torque isn't as important as absolute peak power (especially in something like f1 where ratios are very close together and the engines rev to the moon). I doubt the gains would be significant enough to make it worthwhile.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

I wonder if the valve closing could be harnessed, similar to regenerative braking?

The video briefly touched on that when the Saab test mule was shown. They want to implement energy recovery using the valves, to be stored using compressed air. Their reasoning is that this would be more energy efficient than using electrical energy recovery.

Actually, it sounds a bit like the hydropneumatic energy recovery/hybrid system Citroën was presenting a few weeks ago, where they use an additional hydralic motor in the transmission and store the energy as compressed air.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Thought that poo poo looked familiar. 89ish Toyota Cressida. My parents had the wagon, it was awesome.

used, in the late 90s

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Looks GM to me.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Bucephalus posted:

Looks GM to me.

I'm thinking late 80's or early 90's Toyota of some sort. It looks very similar to the dash of my Supra.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Split the difference and call it a Prizm? :v:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Will you all shut the gently caress up and post some content for the thread?

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 21, 2013

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

fuuuuuuuuuuck

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Haha, I've seen that Alfa around town. :cripes:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Preoptopus posted:

Wanna live in this house. Nice pics by the way.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Something's not right about this... is that a Fiero?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

ultimateforce posted:

I always wanted to know what car that was from because that is a straight up NA Miata tach.

No I take it back, it looks like a Nissan one now to me.

92-96 3rd gen camry.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

toaster_pastry posted:

meh @ those signs.

oh how I will miss you, Mr. Echo (whom did this on lowered suspension as well)
You've got a little way to go...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Tell me a super high res version of that alfa exists.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

92-96 3rd gen camry.

My hero.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Steve French posted:

Something's not right about this... is that a Fiero?

It's always a Fiero.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Rhyno posted:

It's always a Fiero.

Post awesome AI car poo poo: It's always a Fiero.

Content / not my hosting:
http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/gallery/alfa-romeo-4c-displayed-at-villa-deste-in-all-its-glory-photo-gallery_7.jpg

It's coming to North America this year. I am on the waiting list. I almost don't care what it costs.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
That's beautiful, do you know how many they're bringing over?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

tbb9 posted:

That's beautiful, do you know how many they're bringing over?

They're making 2,500 for the world and sending us 1,000. Thank you, Alfa! :D

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

sofullofhate posted:

Content / not my hosting:

When I look at this shot, I see McLaren.

Alfa Romeo MP-4C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/662406-OK...-so-its-not-a-Viper.-But-it-has-a-Viper-engine-In-a-Rolls-Royce-Yeah-REALLY.

:stonk: