Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

When did WWF referees switch from dressing like boxing refs to football/hockey refs?

I stopped watching wrestling from '93-'98, and a i know is that the transition happened sometime in that period. I'm pretty sure WCW refs made a similar change in attire when they went to a new logo and set in '99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Thauros posted:

When did WWF referees switch from dressing like boxing refs to football/hockey refs?

I stopped watching wrestling from '93-'98, and a i know is that the transition happened sometime in that period. I'm pretty sure WCW refs made a similar change in attire when they went to a new logo and set in '99.

The stripes were their original old-old school uniform. They changed to the accountant shirt/pants in the 80s and back to the strips in the mid 90s. Right in the middle of your not watching.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I just don't know why they bothered with Rikishi as the bridge between Austin getting hit & the HHH reveal.

The way I interpreted it at the time, and I still kinda believe this is the case, is that the angle was intended to make Rikishi a new top heel for the company and Triple H was held in reserve in case the audience didn't buy Rikishi in that top heel role. That's why Triple H overnight dropped out of his feud with the Radicalz: Triple H was in that program as a face the same week as his heel turn.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I think I remember reading an interview about Billy Gunn being the driver. Which would have made sense on a lot of levels.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

If El Generico kept his gimmick in the WWE and was brought up, would other luchadores take offense with the whole generic luchadore concept?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Manwithastick posted:

If El Generico kept his gimmick in the WWE and was brought up, would other luchadores take offense with the whole generic luchadore concept?

I doubt it since he has been using it for years and traveled around the world doing it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

gypsyshred posted:

I think I remember reading an interview about Billy Gunn being the driver. Which would have made sense on a lot of levels.

Yeah, but it would have meant another Billy Gunn push which would have been a worse bomb than Rikishi.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Has Generico worked in Mexico before?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
He's worked AAA before so yeah.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Welp, I know what I'm going to look for.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

This has probably been answered before, but I'll give it a shot:

What are generally accepted to be Bruiser Brody's best matches?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There's that cage match with Lex Luger where he made Lex flee the cage in terror.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Wasn't that the match that Brody decided Lex wasn't selling enough, so Brody just stopped selling entirely?

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
No, Brody was prick and went to business for himself because he felt Luger's push was undeserved.

Smarks give him a pass because he was a fun guy to watch but Brody set the standard for locker room bullying.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the story Bill Alfonzo told was that Luger (green as poo poo) was telling Brody (veteran) backstage how the match was going to go, and Brody took offense to that

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

budreck posted:

Smarks give him a pass because he was a fun guy to watch but Brody set the standard for locker room bullying.

I would say Invader #1 was a bit worse

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

VogeGandire posted:

What are generally accepted to be Bruiser Brody's best matches?

Three of my favorites:

2/3 Falls vs Ric Flair, 3/3/83 (Part 2) - There's some great stuff about this one in Brody's official biography. Both guys were over as poo poo and the crowd really wanted to see Flair lose his title, the heat on the last fall is just phenomenal. This was also being taped for broadcast in Japan, since Brody was an AJPW guy, and that had the side effect of giving Flair a surge in popularity with Japanese fans. According to the biography, Brody considered this one his best match.

w/ Jimmy Snuka vs Terry and Dory Funk, Real World Tag League 12/13/81 (Part 2) (Part 3) - Guest starring Stan Hansen and Giant Baba. The work here speaks for itself, and the ending is wild as hell.

vs Abdullah the Butcher, 8/4/86 (Part 2) - I'm not really an Abdullah fan but Brody sold his rear end off and made him look very passable in this one. Pretty much the quintessential old-school brawl, and mostly hard-hitting and violent instead of mindlessly excessive like in the post-Brody years with guys like Abby and King Curtis. The part where they disappear into the back and then there's just a bunch of crashing noises is like something out of a cartoon (in a good way).

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

budreck posted:

Not really. Brody was a tough guy and worked really stiff, but he was a fairly quiet person who didn't go out drinking and generally didn't gently caress with people unless they deserved it (Lex was being an rear end in a top hat and deserved it, and Brody didn't even beat him up, he just scared him). Most of Brody's ire went to promoters who routinely hosed the wrestlers out of money.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Brody wasn't a saint, probably a bit of a bully. Don't really know many stories other than he could be a pain to deal with. Wouldn't say he "set the standard".

He was pretty awesome though.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 24, 2013

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Aye, everything I've ever heard about him has been about ripping into promoters and since wrestling promoters in his day where generally barely a step above pond scum I always assumed that they deserved it.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Gonzo McFee posted:

since wrestling promoters in his day where generally barely a step above pond scum

Heh.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Wikipedia has the following account. There has to be more to the story because it's bizarre as gently caress. Regardless, nobody deserves to to have a another worker not cooperate in a match. Brody was out of line.

quote:

Brody had an infamous cage match with Lex Luger in Florida at NWA Florida in January 1987. In the middle of the match, Brody stopped "working" and stood around. Luger and Bill Alfonso, the referee of the match, were puzzled and attempted to speak to Brody who did not respond. Luger and Alfonso decided to forgo the planned finish of the match and Alfonso disqualified Luger in a spot where Luger continually punched Brody in a corner and did not back off. After the match, Luger recalls asking Brody if he did anything wrong to upset him to which Brody responded "no" and Brody's reasons for not working were not very clear, stating that "the match just wasn't working". In Larry Matysik's book, Wrestling at the Chase, Matysik states that before the match Brody told him "I'm not putting up with any of his bullshit" and that Brody was upset that Luger wouldn't sell for him. However, when watching the match, it is clear that Luger did sell for Brody. In a later shoot interview, Bill Alfonso said that there was a miscommunication issue on who would lead the match and there was no ill will ever between the two. Another scenario was that Brody was upset with the promoters (Brody had a contentious history with wrestling promoters for much of his career) and decided to embarrass the promotion by being uncooperative in the match. It should also be noted that this match occurred right before Luger went to Jim Crockett Promotions, and many people believe that Brody wanted to punish him for bragging about "being called up".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CombineThresher posted:

Not really. Brody was a tough guy and worked really stiff, but he was a fairly quiet person who didn't go out drinking and generally didn't gently caress with people unless they deserved it (Lex was being an rear end in a top hat and deserved it, and Brody didn't even beat him up, he just scared him). Most of Brody's ire went to promoters who routinely hosed the wrestlers out of money.
Yeah, I haven't read his biography but I thought his ire was reserved for promoters trying to underpay him. On the whole he probably did more for his fellow wrestlers than most.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I just read that Stevie Richards left WCW because he had a falling out with Raven. What happened there?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Rodney the Piper posted:

I just read that Stevie Richards left WCW because he had a falling out with Raven. What happened there?

He came into WCW to do the same stuff he had been doing in ECW with Raven. When Stevie Richards was beaten really quickly by Raven in their first match on WCW Richards asked how he was supposed to get over now that Raven had beaten him so easily. Raven then told Richards that he had been brought in to be Raven's "Job boy bitch" and that he didn't care if he got over.

They've made up now and are friends again.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rodney the Piper posted:

And his role in ECW was to get Raven drugs, no?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Price Check posted:

You can clearly spot future CZW "standouts" Justice Pain and Nick Gage (real life brothers) on a few ECW shows, most notably during the famous Rey/Psicosis match that goes all over the ECW Arena.

Does anybody have a link to this match?

Corzaa posted:

Don't forget Eddie

What match was this, too?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 25, 2013

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dickeye posted:

Does anybody have a link to this match?

What match was this, too?

vs jbl at judgment day 2004

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

John Cena posted:

vs jbl at judgment day 2004

Word. I keep hearing about this match, but that's the first time I've seen a picture from it.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

It's one of the best matches of the decade.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dickeye posted:

Word. I keep hearing about this match, but that's the first time I've seen a picture from it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Did he get cut hardstyle or was he blading? From chairshot to blood everywhere is about thirty seconds and it feels like the odds of hitting it just right with the chair to get that effect are astronomical.

e: Jesus Christ, Eddie's face at the end of the match is just terrifying. You shouldn't hvae that much blood outside of your body, ever.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 25, 2013

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Dickeye posted:

Did he get cut hardstyle or was he blading? From chairshot to blood everywhere is about thirty seconds and it feels like the odds of hitting it just right with the chair to get that effect are astronomical.

e: Jesus Christ, Eddie's face at the end of the match is just terrifying. You shouldn't hvae that much blood outside of your body, ever.

He bladed too deep and sliced an artery in his forehead.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Aubergine Mage posted:

He bladed too deep and sliced an artery in his forehead.

Yeah, it's honestly sickening to watch (more-so because a spot beforehand knocked out commentary so you literally hear the crowd collectively gasp when the camera cuts to Eddie) and made everyone at the time consider renaming the Muta Scale the Eddie Scale. It's literally the bloodiest match I have ever seen in my 15 years of watching wrestling in terms of volume.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It looked like something straight up out of a gladiator match or something, for some reason the bloody mat image is always the one that makes me go 'eeesh', you can see where he moved and did poo poo and all in it and everything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I took a 'Swagger 4:20' sign to Wrestlemania, is it likely to get taken off me? (Although I'm sure a million people will have done the same sign by then, just curious).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

You will almost certainly have it taken off you.

In retribution, you will be given a "CM PUNK SUCKS" sign instead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seems a brutal overreaction. I wonder if I can rearrange the letters in my seat...

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

The pHo posted:

Seems a brutal overreaction. I wonder if I can rearrange the letters in my seat...

Big fat tagging marker tucked into your pants/boot and blank side on another sign always worked for me during the attitude era.

Just sayin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlligatorHugs
Dec 18, 2009

I bought tickets for Smackdown next week in Albany, what can I expect? Is Main Event taped before Smackdown? I've never been to a live wrestling show before, so I'm pretty excited!