Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012
EDIT: I'M NOT AN INTELLIGENT PERSON AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO READ IN MY NATIVE TONGUE

Frost Uncle fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Or somebody could've picked him up and whacked another student over the head with him. I dunno.

So I only read this phrase after BackwardPalindrome quoted it on its own (I'm not ignoring you specifically, I just tend to skip over long posts in this thread) and for some reason I immediately assumed that it referred to Kuzuryuu.

It could happen.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

TCat posted:

I have a much better reason- if she did kill someone it probably wouldn't be with anything besides that sword of hers and it's kind of obvious the weapon used was the missing skewer.
Why would she kill with her sword? The idea of the game is to kill and not be caught. Killing someone with her sword (which she said before is a wooden practice sword by the way and not a real one) would be a stupid thing to do.

I don't disagree in that Peko would likely be a character to deliver a fast kill and not make multiple wounds, but the idea to discount her because the murder doesn't involve a sword is silly.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

prahanormal posted:

Also considering that his wounds are in roughly a straight line despite the varying sizes and locations it looks a lot like someone was stabbing randomly from under the cabin.

The wounds are all roughly center mass, yes, but straight line, no. The spacing and angles are different from cluster to cluster. It could still be from someone under the cabin, but probably not from just a thin gap between boards. Maybe if there's an entire plank missing, though.

All those stab wounds would have to leave the killer covered in blood - just look at the mess on the tablecloth - so if they were at the party they'd need to ditch their old clothing and change into a spare set. That elevates Kuzuryuu in the suspect list, he wouldn't have to worry about that as much since he didn't have to go back to the party.

EDIT: No... wait... if they stashed a big raincoat or something before the blackout, they'd only really have to worry about blood on their face and hands.

Here's one more issue with the "stabbing-from-below" theory: How did the killer see his victim if he was below the floor and the lights were out?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 24, 2013

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Anyone stabbing up through floorboards eight times to kill togami would be absolutely drenched in blood, no question. The real killer is offscreen trying not to look like the climax of Carrie so I think peko is innocent-ish this time.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Here's one more issue with the "stabbing-from-below" theory: How did the killer see his victim if he was below the floor and the lights were out?

There's that green stuff under the table that I bet glows in the dark so if someone got near the knife to grab it the person below would see it.
That or there's another pair of night vision goggles.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

tiistai posted:

I didn't expect Mahiru to call herself "not that smart".

I just can't take "am I the only one" questions rhetorically

Koizumi's comment doesn't seem to be clashing with her character to me, though it's revealing a depth that might have only been hinted at before. She's always yelling at others to shape up, but that doesn't preclude her from having low self-esteem/self-confidence somewhat hidden by the bluster we've seen from her. Note how when she did dispute Togami's self-appointment to leader she didn't volunteer to lead herself and instead suggested Sonia, and when Sonia said that she thought Togami was a good leader she fell in line with only minor bluster and to me really seemed to accept that she was wrong. She seems to trust Sonia due to her class to an extent that she believes what Sonia says over what she originally thinks.

I'm pretty glad that her adherence to gender roles/class roles seems to be grounded in something instead of her just being somewhat classist/sexist "just because", though I suppose DR does a good job at giving reasons for why characters do the weird things they do in general. Almost like the game has good writers or something! :)

And yeah, "am I the only one?" questions when they clearly haven't read the thread fully are super annoying. I'm probably not entirely blameless on this though, and will endeavor to avoid posting like that in the future.

Runaway Bro posted:

Dangan Ronpa's first "investigation" theme. It replaces the usual area BGM during Abnormal Days. And it's super catchy.

I don't remember anymore if it was just for the last trial, but at some point in the game it was replaced by a rock cover with a little more oomph.

e: I'm an idiot.

Yeah, when it got clear that the update wouldn't actually have the investigation phase in it I was really hoping Oren would have put the music at the end of the update so we could jam to it while speculating or something. drat musical cliffhangers :argh:

I wonder what the title name will be? I think (not 100% sure) that Box 15/Box 16 references the number of students believed to be at the school by the cast. IE: when Mukuro Ikubasa is revealed by Monobear to be the sixteenth student, Box 16 plays in investigation from then on.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 24, 2013

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Anyone stabbing up through floorboards eight times to kill togami would be absolutely drenched in blood, no question. The real killer is offscreen trying not to look like the climax of Carrie so I think peko is innocent-ish this time.

That's a good point. There's so much blood that even if Togami has been killed with the knife there should still be some on the murderer, especially as the killer would need to be up close to use it.

She could have been cleaning herself up in the bathroom, but that would mean sneaking a fresh outfit in past Togami. The only other person who's been absent for a while and had time to change is Kuzuryuu, I think.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Catastrophics posted:

She could have been cleaning herself up in the bathroom, but that would mean sneaking a fresh outfit in past Togami. The only other person who's been absent for a while and had time to change is Kuzuryuu, I think.
The real killer stripped naked first, took a dip in the ocean, and is now trying to pretend their hair isn't terrible and smells and their clothes aren't sticking to them all wrong during the investigation phase.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Catastrophics posted:

That's a good point. There's so much blood that even if Togami has been killed with the knife there should still be some on the murderer, especially as the killer would need to be up close to use it.

Unless they had a raincoat on, then they'd only have to clean up their face and hands.

If Togami was killed from below by a skewer, then his killer was probably his secret ally. A skewer attack from beneath the floorboards would only really work under a couple conditions:

One, if the victim fell down after their foot was skewered, and then stabbed.

Two, the killer knew Togami would go for the knife hidden under the table and would be in a prime position to get skewered in a vital organ. In this case, they only needed the blackout to get Togami under the table and they hoped he wouldn't be discovered for a while. To know that Togami would go for the knife means that the killer and Togami were working together.

Both cases would require the blackout, so the killer had to arrange that and think of a way to see during it.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
While Peko has some explaining to do given her disappearance, I don't think she's the killer because she can't be in several places at once. There may be evidence that later disproves me, but no one could have jumped between several rooms at once.

She's supposed to be in that one room guarding the weapons. The bathroom being locked all night HAS to figure into this and it's probably where the killer was hiding for some time. The killer struck from under the floorboards. Assuming the bathroom, and not an exterior entrance or a different room in the lodge, plays into this, it's probably where the killer got under the floor from.

Now, Nekomaru's been trying to take a poo poo all night but the bathroom's been locked all that time. If the killer was hiding in there all along, they obviously never left. Even if Peko was hiding in there the whole time, and the killer needs this room to get under the floor, then how did the lights go out? She can't have left the commode to kill the lights and then rushed back to the secret passage because Nekomaru would have rushed in and the plan's all shot. And after Togami was killed, the killer would have to then traverse back to the bathroom, and if it was Peko she'd have to run back to the circuit breaker room. The lights weren't out long enough for that to have happened...

EDIT: Also, after re-reading the past couple updates, I just noticed that Peko said she doesn't do well with crowded places. While it's not EXACTLY the same as being claustrophobic... it does further deter the idea she would crawl under a floor and kill someone from above.

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 24, 2013

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
I really dislike the over-use of the word despair when it makes much more sense to use another word. Not sure if this is the game or the translation (Assuming it's the game) but it doesn't read very well and I feel you'd get the sense despair is being caused if the word wasn't forced into every sentence.

Hajime's thoughts posted:

A thick feeling of despair immediately swelled up within me.
Good

Nagito posted:

There's no way such a despair-inducing thing would happen!
Bad

Then, Monobear disappeared, leaving us with our crushing despair.
Eh...

Nagito posted:

...It's this despair that's trying to destroy us!
Awful

The true enemy that we must fight... is this despair-inducing reality...
Terrible

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Powerfrog posted:

I really dislike the over-use of the word despair when it makes much more sense to use another word. Not sure if this is the game or the translation (Assuming it's the game) but it doesn't read very well and I feel you'd get the sense despair is being caused if the word wasn't forced into every sentence.

Are you suggesting that the overuse of the word is causing you...despair?

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami

Powerfrog posted:

It's kinda... both-ish? It's both a problem with being too direct in translation and Japanese just not having as many words as English to describe emotion. I'm like 100% sure that it's just a direct translation of "zetsubou", which is a word those familiar with anime/otaku media have probably heard an awful lot.

Agreed that it could stand to be used a little less, though. "Despair-inducing" is just kind of a really awkward construction that comes straight from translating from Japanese way too directly.

Rass P
Nov 23, 2012

by Ralp

Rodyle posted:

Given that the first game featured a fujoshi serial killer and trap-on-bancho friendship, this isn't the most surprising thing int he world.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yeah bud. Gonna have to ask you to stop describing this Japanese game with Japanese terms.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
At long last, presenting the final set of DR2 Perler sprites (previous sets here, here, and here). Thanks again to Fantastisk for the much-improved Togami sprite. The whole cast of both games took a while to hammer out, but now I can finally take a break (at least until the next game).

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
Something I've been thinking about is that despite Togami being stabbed eight times the first one must have killed him instantly; as otherwise he would have been able to cry out beyond "ow". This would point towards Peko and Mikan for knowledge of the locations of arteries and the ability to reliably hit them in the panic (Since I would assume a SHSL Nurse can jab a syringe into exactly the right spot every time) or Nagito for being lucky enough to get the right spot on his first try. The problem is that Togami was stabbed in the throat, which would allow for gasping, twice in the collar, a big stab in the chest that still missed his heart, and twice in the gut, which would be very painful and likely fatal but not anywhere close to killing him instantly. This suggests that either he was too much in shock from the initial blow, likely the one in his chest, to cry out before succumbing or he was deliberately not doing so.

Iamyourking fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 25, 2013

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I love the way you did Hiyoko's dress.

Estraven
Oct 18, 2012

Zyxyz posted:

At long last, presenting the final set of DR2 Perler sprites (previous sets here, here, and here). Thanks again to Fantastisk for the much-improved Togami sprite. The whole cast of both games took a while to hammer out, but now I can finally take a break (at least until the next game).

These are great! Saionji's looks awesome.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

That's a lot of blood for such a little robot. :smith:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Raspy forgot posted:

Yeah bud. Gonna have to ask you to stop describing this Japanese game with Japanese terms.

I didn't know "trap" was specifically a Japanese term. I thought it was just an rear end in a top hat one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

copy posted:

I didn't know "trap" was specifically a Japanese term. I thought it was just an rear end in a top hat one.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the terms "Fujoshi" and "Bancho." Also, I haven't seen the term "trap" used in that context much outside the anime fandom anyway.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

My mistake. Trap's the one that refers to dudes dressed as girls, though, right? Because if so then I guess we both get to be correct on this one!

e: just for different reasons.

further edit: I think that if we look at the murder weapon as having been the skewer, then it points us toward either the cook or Nagito, because they're the only two who could have reasonably known where the skewers were. If the cook's telling the truth about the skewer being missing, only somebody who got there before him could have taken it, which points us to Nagito. Otherwise, if the cook was lying, then he probably hid it and he's the one who had the weapon.

copy fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 25, 2013

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Zyxyz posted:

These are all really neat! Thanks for sharing them with us.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Iamyourking posted:

Something I've been thinking about is that despite Togami being stabbed eight times the first one must have killed him instantly; as otherwise he would have been able to cry out beyond "ow". This would point towards Peko and Mikan for knowledge of the locations of arteries and the ability to reliably hit them in the panic (Since I would assume a SHSL Nurse can jab a syringe into exactly the right spot every time) or Nagito for being lucky enough to get the right spot on his first try. The problem is that Togami was stabbed in the throat, which would allow for gasping, twice in the collar, a big stab in the chest that still missed his heart, and twice in the gut, which would be very painful and likely fatal but not anywhere close to killing him instantly. This suggests that either he was too much in shock from the initial blow, likely the one in his chest, to cry out before succumbing or he was deliberately not doing so.

It's possible the Throat was were he was hit first preventing him from crying out. Also Everyone was panicking at the time and likely making quite a bit of noise.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Hate to ask, but anyone reading this who's already played DR2, can someone perhaps go looking for (worksafe noncreepy) fan art of Owari for me? She's my favourite character and I'd like to probably change my avatar to her. :3:

I can't do it myself because I don't want to spoil anything.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's possible the Throat was were he was hit first preventing him from crying out. Also Everyone was panicking at the time and likely making quite a bit of noise.

That's possible. However, one of the stranger things about Togami's wounds is that 7 of them are the same size and one is much bigger. The only guess I have is that the larger one was inflicted first when he was moving, and after that he was not moving anymore.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Powerfrog posted:

I'm just assuming the game is trolling us at this point, and the overuse of the word (especially Nagito's) is going to made hilarious or meaningful in some way (like Nagito being an attempted murderer). And beyond that, perhaps a suitable explanation for why he's so specifically gung-ho about it. At least other people sometimes call Nagito out on his seeming obsession to be SHSL Hope while not being made of the same stuff as Naegi is (among said lack of stuff: overplaying the hell out of hope talk).

Suzuki Method posted:

Hate to ask, but anyone reading this who's already played DR2, can someone perhaps go looking for (worksafe noncreepy) fan art of Owari for me? She's my favourite character and I'd like to probably change my avatar to her. :3:

Similarly, if anyone has any similar Nagito fanart I'd appreciate seeing it, though I *may* have found a suitable one for an avatar safely.

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011

Suzuki Method posted:

Actually I meant to ask earlier, but has anybody gathered together a set of spoiler free Dangan Ronpa 2 avatars like the collection someone made in the first thread? I'm sorry I can't remember your name.

And your collection of sprites are adorable, Zyxyz!

Catastrophics fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 25, 2013

Sensorium139
Feb 19, 2013
I don't feel like Peko or Kuzuryuu did it. I feel like it had to involve Hanamura. I fear this might of been covered and I'm just quickly missing it, but I think I remember Togami saying he didn't like Hanamura's cooking giving him quite a clear motive. I feel it looks like an emotional killing, like he was mad that Togami didn't like his food. I'm also fairly certain Peko was cooped up in the bathroom, as if she got distracted by something toxic in her food (giving her diarrhea or vomiting) , which I think Hanamura could do without anyone knowing due to his cooking ability? If she's out of the way this could of been pretty easy. Kuzuryuu, I think, is completely unaware of what's going on in the building but I'm not entirely sure. Hanamura also looks very distressed, seemingly more than everyone else. Either he's acting or something's up. I don't think anyone else is involved but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure the only reason Nidai is upset is because he REALLY needs to take a crap, not because he's guilty or scared of blood. I just find Hanamura extremely suspicious.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Man, Tropical Despair is a great track. Probably my favourite original track from this game I've heard so far. So far the original tracks in this game (as opposed to the ones reused from DR1) have been pretty good, and I really hope there'll be more great ones later on.

Zyxyz posted:

This is great! Thanks for taking the effort to make these, mate.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
I'm guessing that if the skewer were used in the murder, it was jabbed in the big blood spot to hold Togami in place while the other small stabs were made. I want to guess the killer is Nagito, because with our beloved SHSL Heir being the first to be killed off, they'd probably find it fitting to have SHSL Hope do it in order to ramp up the 'despair'. I think whoever did it will have to have some pretty crazy freakout sprites or a personality change 180, and I can't think of who'd be most likely to do that at this point. If it was anything like the first game, it'll probably be one of the more normal characters, because right now it seems the point is for everything to go downhill as quickly as possible, and I can't think of a better person to do that with than SHSL Hope.

Joke theory: When they go into the bathroom, they'll find the toilet is outhouse styled, old and outdated so it actually just leads to underneath the cabin and the hole is big enough for a petite person to slip through..

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Suzuki Method posted:

Hate to ask, but anyone reading this who's already played DR2, fan art of Owari for me?

Oh sure, that's probl-

Suzuki Method posted:

(worksafe noncreepy)

Yeah that'll cut down your options somewhat. Perhaps unsurprisingly, she, Chiaki and Nagito tend to have 'that kind' of fanart. :v:

Seriously though, this was the best thing I could find, a picture of Oowari with Hinata and Nidai that's spoiler free and as far as I can tell not terribly offensive. :v:
http://i.imgur.com/JpmIyL1.jpg

Catastrophics posted:

Actually I meant to ask earlier, but has anybody gathered together a set of spoiler free Dangan Ronpa 2 avatars like the collection someone made in the first thread? I'm sorry I can't remember your name.

I've been trying to find one of those compilations, anyone have a link to it offhand?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 25, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Asterid had a big compilation of DR related avatars.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Autumncomet posted:

Asterid had a big compilation of DR related avatars.

Man I'd kinda like to nab that one with Ibuki and Souda in glasses, but I won't have funds for a week yet :saddowns:

Also, cute sprite arts, Zyxyz! I forget if it's been asked or not, but have you considered selling those on Etsy or someplace similar? I'd love to have a couple for myself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sensorium139 posted:

I don't feel like Peko or Kuzuryuu did it. I feel like it had to involve Hanamura. I fear this might of been covered and I'm just quickly missing it, but I think I remember Togami saying he didn't like Hanamura's cooking giving him quite a clear motive. I feel it looks like an emotional killing, like he was mad that Togami didn't like his food. I'm also fairly certain Peko was cooped up in the bathroom, as if she got distracted by something toxic in her food (giving her diarrhea or vomiting) , which I think Hanamura could do without anyone knowing due to his cooking ability? If she's out of the way this could of been pretty easy. Kuzuryuu, I think, is completely unaware of what's going on in the building but I'm not entirely sure. Hanamura also looks very distressed, seemingly more than everyone else. Either he's acting or something's up. I don't think anyone else is involved but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure the only reason Nidai is upset is because he REALLY needs to take a crap, not because he's guilty or scared of blood. I just find Hanamura extremely suspicious.

Lots of people seemed more distressed then Hanamura in fact Hanamura was about as freaked out when the other freak out able things happened. Added on all Togami said was that his food was like other food. Later he said it was close to his cooks level. Akane also insulted his food about the same way so that motive is very stretching it given that he had just as much a reason to kill Akane then.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Don't forget to run fanart by the OP before posting.

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013
I actually really have to wonder about the sudden resurgence/repetition of all the despair despair despair in this update. As someone else pointed out, Monobear hasn't really brought up that word all that much yet in this game, so it really stood out to me when Nagito came out with "despair-inducing" (which I assume was zetsubouteki, a favorite word of Junko's) unprompted.

I'm still not sure if I'm 100% on board with "Nagito is Naegi" or even that DR2 is necessarily a sequel, but nonetheless, I found that pretty striking.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's possible. However, one of the stranger things about Togami's wounds is that 7 of them are the same size and one is much bigger. The only guess I have is that the larger one was inflicted first when he was moving, and after that he was not moving anymore.

Or, the big one's a knife wound instead of a skewer wound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

zetsubous posted:

I actually really have to wonder about the sudden resurgence/repetition of all the despair despair despair in this update. As someone else pointed out, Monobear hasn't really brought up that word all that much yet in this game, so it really stood out to me when Nagito came out with "despair-inducing" (which I assume was zetsubouteki, a favorite word of Junko's) unprompted.

Someone mentioned a theory a while back that the group was actually Junko's old Despair Inc., as in the people who helped cause the whole Despair mess in the first place. If that theory is true, and Nagito isn't Naegi, then perhaps this is some shard of his old personality/memories resurfacing.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the terms "Fujoshi" and "Bancho." Also, I haven't seen the term "trap" used in that context much outside the anime fandom anyway.

I know 'banchou' can be translated as 'badass gang leader', but out of curiosity, how would one translate 'fujoshi'? Closest I can come to is 'shut in fangirl' and that doesn't seem right.

• Locked thread