Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mosfrompa
Feb 20, 2013
I like the theory that there were two attempted murders. It could make an interesting dynamic for the rest of the game if they found out that Nagito planned to murder but failed at it. They couldn't execute him and having someone guard him would eventually be difficult with less and less people.

The problem with the two person theory with one person under the floor boards is that the person under the floor boards needed some really specific conditions that happened to work out for them. First they needed to be under the floor boards with a skewer. Then they needed someone to be laying on the floor off of the carpet. Then they need to be sure that no one could see what was happening. They also need to be able to tell when the person is on the ground (possibly through the glow in the dark tape) maybe the first person became aware of the other person's plan with the lights and decided to take advantage of someone being under the table to get the knife. Otherwise, the killer would have to have some other reason to be under the floor with a skewer. Maybe on their way to kill someone else? (Pekoyama or Kuzuryuu) But the most likely people to be targets would also be most likely to be the killer (in that situation) since it would take some time to get that done.

Things we need to know:
Who was in the bathroom?
Are there any trapdoors or movable boards?
What is in the storage room?
Where was Kuzuryuu?
Were the wounds all caused by the same weapon? (the blood pattern on the knife didn't look like a stab)
Is there anything currently under the floorboards? (something to clean or shield from blood and possibly the murder weapon)
Why didn't Togami use any of his weapons? If he had time to grab the goggles(which were in another box), surely he had time to grab a nightstick or tear gas.
Why was there a knife under the table to begin with? It just seems like a poor way go about murdering someone.
e: How could the killer see? (or at least the person who placed the knife)

mosfrompa fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 18, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

This whole under the floorboards thing is completely off base. I think the large gaps means that something is hidden between them, like perhaps the missing skewer. I don't think there's been anything to suggest that there's actually some kind of space underneath the floorboards and the evidence of Gundam's earring actually directly contradicts this possibility.

The really crummy thing is that those churrascaria skewers are actually enormous, so realistically, you'd never fit them in a floorboard crack like that.

More seriously, I think the crawlspace theory is given some credence because it helps explain the locked bathroom. Otherwise, I can't think of why you'd just lock yourself in unless you weren't at the party to begin with and wanted to wait for the blackout to sneak in the room via the door. In which case, how does Togami end up under the table?

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

slowbeef posted:

And again, if it's totally dark in the lodge, how is the killer able to see while under the floorboards to stab Togami?

You need to really put yourself in the shoes of someone who is underneath the floorboards to realize how viable it is. The old, creaky floorboards are maybe a few inches above your head, so everyone's footsteps are a lot more audible (about as loud as the people making conversation sound to the people above) than they are for people actually at the party.

Now, you're underneath the floorboards for some reason when all of the sudden a bunch of students start shouting at the top of their lungs about how the lights are out! You scamper over to where their voices are, and suddenly hear the resounding thuds of what is actually the heaviest cast member in the game running across the room above you, and to top it off he is yelling at someone. There is possibly even another *thud* as he body checks someone and then falls to the ground*. You were following these sounds and find a gap in the floorboards, and gingerly probe upwards with your skewer. You feel something soft before making the decision to stab upwards sharply as many times as you can.

* I think from the soundtrack that the *THUD* followed by the "ow!" we hear in the blackout audio clip is Togami hitting or tackling someone, but we can't be sure exactly what it was yet.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 28, 2013

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

This whole under the floorboards thing is completely off base. I think the large gaps means that something is hidden between them, like perhaps the missing skewer. I don't think there's been anything to suggest that there's actually some kind of space underneath the floorboards and the evidence of Gundam's earring actually directly contradicts this possibility.

There's already proof. You can see what we're calling the crawlspace from outside. The only question is if someone could make or find a large enough break in the floorboards to get through.

The fact that Gundam says he doesn't have a tool long enough will probably be used as evidence that the knife couldn't be used to stab through the floorboards.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Rawkking posted:

You need to really put yourself in the shoes of someone who is underneath the floorboards to realize how viable it is. The old, creaky floorboards are maybe a few inches above your head, so everyone's footsteps are a lot more audible (about as loud as the people making conversation sound to the people above) than they are for people actually at the party.

Now, you're underneath the floorboards for some reason when all of the sudden a bunch of students start shouting at the top of their lungs about how the lights are out! You scamper over to where their voices are, and suddenly hear the resounding thuds of what is actually the heaviest cast member in the game running across the room above you, and to top it off he is yelling at someone. There is possibly even another *thud* as he body checks someone and then falls to the ground*. You were following these sounds and find a gap in the floorboards, and gingerly probe upwards with your skewer. You feel something soft before making the decision to stab upwards sharply as many times as you can.

* I think from the soundtrack that the *THUD* followed by the "ow!" we hear in the blackout audio clip is Togami hitting or tackling someone, but we can't be sure exactly what it was yet.

I still say that's crazy. If Togami had never crawled on the ground to begin with, what? Your murder plan was to cause a blackout and just stab whoever hopefully lies down and exposes a vital spot to the floor?

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Rawkking posted:

Oh God, what if he tripped on Mikan?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rawkking posted:

The fact that Gundam says he doesn't have a tool long enough will probably be used as evidence that the knife couldn't be used to stab through the floorboards.

Okay this is annoying me because it keeps coming up and it is such a stupid line of thought. He doesn't have a tool long enough to reach it ON THE GROUND UNDER THE LODGE.

If the attacker was a zombie coming up from the dirt and he had a knife and can't extend anything beyond his wrist from the cold clutches of the earth, yeah, okay, that defense works. But if there's an attacker crawling under the lodge, he is able to get his hand flush against the wood. Handle in fist, top of fist against wood, blade between gaps.

The thickness of the planks might rule out a knife (but that's a really drat specific thing to check,) but the fact that Gundam doesn't have a tool to reach it isn't the reason it'd be ruled out.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
^ Yeah that doesn't at all preclude a long wire with a hook or something, you're the one assuming it has to be some kind of regular, standardized tool when this is a wannabe ninja we're talking about. We'll see who's right when the investigation reveals things, I suppose.

slowbeef posted:

I still say that's crazy. If Togami had never crawled on the ground to begin with, what? Your murder plan was to cause a blackout and just stab whoever hopefully lies down and exposes a vital spot to the floor?

The plan was probably something else, and addressing this question is very important yeah. I can't give a surefire guess at this point, but here's a couple:

For example Kurzuyuu could have been under there just waiting for an opportunity, perhaps someone isolating themselves and/or tripping on the floorboards that have already been remarked as dangerous to walk on.

Depending on how the skewer could be utilized, Hanamura could have gone after Peko when it was revealed that she was going on guard duty (perhaps hoping she would get tired and sit down?), but when the blackout happened changed his plan.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 28, 2013

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Might as well call Nagito Red Herring for this case, huh?

Don't have enough evidence one way or another, but Togami probably bailed under the table to get the suspect and got got himself. It was done under the floorboards, by someone who had access to them. The light may have been moved or Togami may just be a really agile fat man (which is my guess). Mikan tripping into a gravure model shot might be exoneration from a later frame-up, a counter to a theory, or a sign of the floorboards moving. The Gundam earring is just confirming what we already know.

A thought: the knife is a setup, planted to distract Togami long enough for him to get stuck like a pig.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I'm beginning to agree with the conclusion that there wasn't anyone waiting underneath the floorboards.

My theory now is that Nagito discovered the A/C could trigger a blackout and stashed the marked knife under the table. At 11:30, the lights went out, and Nagito went under the table to get the knife, perhaps intending to go stab someone stuck in one of the other rooms and come back. Togami grabbed his goggles and put them on, and went to confront whoever was underneath the table, unable to make out who it was because they were covered by the tablecloth and thus not calling them out by name.

At the same time, Hanamura, with his skewer he hid for self-defense, felt his way into the room but ran into Togami; Hanamura panicked, stabbed Togami multiple times and dropped the skewer, which rolled into the cracks and onto the ground, while Togami tried to get under the table to protect himself, but was too late and bled out. Hanamura then pretended he had only just come into the room by calling out to everyone else.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 28, 2013

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

The Chairman posted:

At the same time, Hanamura, with his skewer he hid for self-defense, felt his way into the room but ran into Togami; Hanamura panicked, stabbed Togami multiple times and dropped the skewer, which rolled into the cracks and onto the ground, while Togami tried to get under the table to protect himself, but was too late and bled out.

This theory directly contradicts that there are no blood trails leading to underneath the table. How would you explain this discrepancy?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Rawkking posted:

This theory directly contradicts the evidence bullet that there are no blood trails leading to underneath the table. How would you explain this discrepancy?

The skewer would cause deep but narrow wounds, so he wouldn't immediately spray blood everywhere upon being hit, maybe.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

slowbeef posted:

Because now you have Togami seeing someone sneak into the room from under the table. So how is the killer unable to get the knife? It's right there.

I don't know if you misquoted or something since you replied to that bit already, but I don't expect there to be a loose board or an entrance of any kind under the table. If there were and I were planning on sneaking out from there, I'd just put the knife on the ground below the floor where nobody would find it even by accident.

slowbeef posted:

If you're causing a blackout and you can't presumably see, why would you murder someone there? Doesn't it make a lot more sense to go somewhere you can see?

The murderer definitely couldn't see, but if you're, say, Nagito and conveniently standing right next to the table looking at everyone eating, you can probably remember quite well where the people were 15 seconds ago when you've picked up the knife. It's suddenly pitch black, even in panic nobody's going to start running aimlessly around. Except maybe Mikan.

Like I said before, the actual reason Togami died is probably because he was the one who went under the table to check what was going on, not because he was specifically targeted. Maybe somebody figured out the knife culprit's plan and were waiting for them below the floor with a skewer to get the knife. The knife culprit didn't anticipate Togami stopping them, and the skewer culprit might have had no idea whom they were going to kill.

The Chairman posted:

At the same time, Hanamura, with his skewer he hid for self-defense, felt his way into the room but ran into Togami; Hanamura panicked, stabbed Togami multiple times and dropped the skewer, which rolled into the cracks and onto the ground, while Togami tried to get under the table to protect himself, but was too late and bled out.

The table is on the far side of the room. Hanamura would have had to cross the entire room with a skewer. That, and the only blood splatters in the room are under the tablecloth, so unless Togami silently crawled under there and and almost deliberately sprayed some blood around from his 8 stab wounds, I kinda doubt that.

edit: The knife being a setup doesn't sound too bad, but... well, first off, there's no need for there to be an actual knife if it's a setup. Assuming that Togami noticed it thanks to his goggles, just the glowing tape would be enough to draw suspicion. And that assumes you could see a very faint green glow through a tablecloth using night vision. Nope. If someone deliberately drew him under there, they somehow knew he had night vision. If the same person also stabbed Togami in the stomach with the knife, it happened while them both were crawling under the table. That's impossible, so they weren't planning on killing Togami alone, so no need for a knife, and they had an accomplice below the floor.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 28, 2013

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

[redacted]

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

The Chairman posted:

The skewer would cause deep but narrow wounds, so he wouldn't immediately spray blood everywhere upon being hit, maybe.

But it would start to violently spray just after he got underneath? Because the insides of the tablecloth are stained as well. I mean I think that's faintly possible, but I don't think it's plausible for someone to not bleed a small trail from eight stab wounds and I don't think from a meta perspective that a mystery game is going to randomly decide to give you a misleading evidence bullet:

(from the update)

Evidence Bullet Get posted:

Blood around the table

There is a pool of blood under the table, and the underside of the tablecloth was violently stained as well. There are no traces of a trail of blood.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

tiistai posted:

The table is on the far side of the room. Hanamura would have had to cross the entire room with a skewer. That, and the only blood splatters in the room are under the tablecloth, so unless Togami silently crawled under there and and almost deliberately sprayed some blood around from his 8 stab wounds, I kinda doubt that.

If everyone was in the middle of the room around the food table, and Hanamura was feeling his way around the outside of the room by touching a wall, I think he could avoid everyone and make it to the other side of the room.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Skunkrocker posted:

You ever been stabbed? Most of the time, it doesn't spray blood out like a scene from some anime.

Cool or not, the tablecloth blood spray looks like an anime scene to me.

You're right about the amount though, but this is the game's way of saying the moment of the murder occured here. Actually, reminds me of the DR1's first murder scene. I remember being kind of annoyed. A single stab wound to the stomach, and pints of blood everywhere. Even behind her.

Obviously it's there to mask the message, but still.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Can we just outright reject the "I'm hiding under the floorboards and just kinda hoping someone falls so I can stab them" theories?

It's ridiculous. If you went to the trouble of planning the timer air-conditioner to trip a fuse, and plant a knife with glow-in-the-dark tape, you are not gonna leave "I hope someone falls!" to chance.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

slowbeef posted:

Can we just outright reject the "I'm hiding under the floorboards and just kinda hoping someone falls so I can stab them" theories?

It's patently ridiculous. If you went to the trouble of planning the timer air-conditioner to trip a fuse, and plant a knife with glow-in-the-dark tape, you are not gonna leave "I hope someone falls!" to chance.

I was actually kicking around the idea of Kuzuryuu hiding under the floorboards doing recon on the big party while Nagito was cleaning - he gets there before Nagito, steals a skewer for future use, and lurks around under the floor. He sees Nagito planting the knife and doing a test of the air conditioner circuit overload (a separate and distinct plan), and gets a rough idea of what Nagito's planning. When the lights go out, he can set up so he can just thrust the skewer through the crack under where the knife's taped up, and he stabs as soon as something blocks the glow-in-the-dark paint - look at how the knife's set up, someone's going to have to get under the table to tear it off. Someone's not going to flip over the table, rip the taped-up knife off in a visible way, and then stab someone.

I think the two-murder theory's right if only because there are two distinct hidden weapons, and I don't think the game would go the route of "there's an accomplice but they don't know that they can't win like this" again since that was lovely the first time. The skewer person (I'm saying Kuzuryuu now because nobody else could be in position like that but Peko, and she drew attention to leaving) could probably predict someone would be going under the table if they knew about the knife ahead of time.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

slowbeef posted:

It's ridiculous. If you went to the trouble of planning the timer air-conditioner to trip a fuse, and plant a knife with glow-in-the-dark tape, you are not gonna leave "I hope someone falls!" to chance.

Sorry if it wasn't clear in my latest post but I'm not claiming that an underneath the floorboards killer is responsible for the blackout and knife planting, but rather trying to explain why they wouldn't need to have triggered one to be under there already, so that they could be present when someone else triggered the blackout and then were able to take advantage of it nonetheless.

I'm not sure what else is viable to say about this topic so I'm going to change the subject to try to be constructive. Let's assume that he wasn't stabbed from underneath the floorboards.

How was Togami stabbed so many times such that he ended up in the position he was in? Especially since he was probably crawling at the least with the size of that table, so getting some of those gut stabs might be difficult. If it was with the knife, how did the killer avoid getting blood all over his hands and body, what with the violent spraying implying some arterial bleeding? And if he did get bloodied, how did he avoid getting discovered in the aftermath?

Edit: V I actually think that the killer finding out about the plan is a bit implausible, but it might have gone down that way. Hopefully the game will give a clue of how that could happen if so.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 28, 2013

Meeks Sisu
Mar 30, 2011

Is this performance art!?

slowbeef posted:

The theory (or at least my version of it) is that the person under the floorboards wasn't the cause of the blackout or the knife. They did, however, find out about that plan, and came up with their own plan to wait for the other person to go for the knife and then stab them. That way it wasn't just 'hope they fall', it was 'know they are going to be under the table at exactly 11:30' which makes it much more plausible.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Unless the knife was put there in order to try to lure out a potential killer -- Nagito and Togami may have arranged to make the knife really visible (and of course then they would know where it is) so that it attracts the attention of people once the lights go out. Not for the sake of leading to anyone actually dying, but to figure out who it is they most need to keep their eyes on. Depends on how visible the glow tape is when obscured by the tablecloth. If someone else who was there during the setup (Hanamura, cooking?) saw that, they might have suspected it was a trap.

The only problem in that situtation is that it's a bit less likely that whoever was hiding under the floorboards would actually know the power would go out, since they weren't involved in the plan. It might be possible Hanamura could have planted it and then stabbed whoever went over there, but that's still a strange thing to do given the whole cover of darkness thing in the first place -- in any case, it's not so much a 'I hope someone falls' as a 'Boy I hope someone reaches down to grab that knife that I put there so I can get in and stab 'em'. Again, depends a lot on how visible the glow tape is.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
Oh! A thought just occurred to me regarding the glowy paint!

Suppose the killer witnessed Nagito planting the knife, either from general snooping around or hiding under the crawlspace during the day. Suppose then, that THEY, the killer, decided to paint the tape while Nagito was out buying stuff. Knowing that Nagito would attempt to grab the knife at some point during the party, they could sit and wait underneath it and when his body covered the glowing green spot, they knew to stab him.

Then, during the blackout, Nagito makes a run for the knife and Togami spots him. But then, Nagito notices the glowtape and backs off, realizing that someone's set up a trap. Togami, however, figures Nagito backed away simply because he called out to him, and ducks under the table to confiscate whatever Nagito was hiding under there. In that moment, the killer sees him and makes the kill.

It doesn't explain how blood got on he knife itself, since it seems like it got a stab on Togami as well, but I have a feeling this is in the ballpark.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I think part of what is making all these underneath the floorboards theories so aggravating to read about is that currently, practically none of us are in agreement of what and why the killer is up to stuff down there :v:

Edit: To be clear, I mean that with all the different but very similar theories flying around with the crazy high post count of this thread you can't keep straight who said what, and things from different theories do contradict each other, aiding to the irritation if you mix them up. For example people claiming that a floorboards killer rigged the blackout + knife as a trap, those claiming that a killer found out about someone else rigging the blackout + placing the knife in advance, and those claiming that they were separate plots by separate people and the killer was underneath the floorboards trying to do something else when the blackout occurred.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 28, 2013

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Rawkking posted:

I think part of what is making all these underneath the floorboards theories so aggravating is that currently, practically none of us are in agreement of what and why the killer is up to stuff down there :v:

It's an easy place to kill somebody while avoiding suspicion, since most everybody would assume the victim was stabbed in a direct confrontation. Do you need any more reason than that?

Besides, even if there was no obvious motive, given the position (and... size) of the body, it's hard to imagine a murder like this would work any other way.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

[redacted]

OldTimeyProspector
May 29, 2010

slowbeef posted:

More seriously, I think the crawlspace theory is given some credence because it helps explain the locked bathroom. Otherwise, I can't think of why you'd just lock yourself in unless you weren't at the party to begin with and wanted to wait for the blackout to sneak in the room via the door. In which case, how does Togami end up under the table?

Well, there's this idea I've been kicking around about the bathroom. We still don't have a satisfying answer about why Monomi made the cabin off-limits, and it's clear that the cabin is storing a lot of the surveillance and other equipment in use by the mastermind of Jabberwock Island. What if the cabin is where Monomi's controller is operating from? This would explain why the cabin seems so different from every other part of the island we've seen so far; the students were never supposed to see it. Then, Monobear showed up and screwed with Monomi's plans. Desperate to encourage any hopey-friendy activities the SHSLs come up with, Monomi's controller decides to let them have a party in their secret base of operations, and locks themselves in the bathroom.

Of course, if you don't believe that Monomi and Monobear aren't working together, this theory is pretty useless. More importantly, if Nagito confirms he was able to use the cabin's bathroom before the party, while he was cleaning, then this theory's sunk. There's also the problem that, unless it's a hell of a bathroom, it doesn't seem to match the high-tech, incredibly sophisticated nerve center Monobear's control room was in DR1. Still, I think Monomi's initial reluctance to let the kids in the cabin clearly indicates that there's something very important hidden here.

Meeks Sisu
Mar 30, 2011

Is this performance art!?

Armanky posted:

It doesn't explain how blood got on he knife itself, since it seems like it got a stab on Togami as well, but I have a feeling this is in the ballpark.

It actually looks like the knife didn't get any use. There is only blood along the bottom of the blade, and if it was used to stab someone the entire blade should be covered. It looks more like blood just splashed onto it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We know Togami is nuts about finding and eliminating weapons. Try this:
1. Plant glow-in-the-dark weapon under table.
2. Air conditioner blows fuse/lights out.
3. Person standing near table raises tablecloth; glowing weapon visible.
4. Togami's tropism makes him crawl under the table to remove the knife.
5. Stab from underneath, jackpot.

This requires two confederates, but we have seen that before.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Meeks Sisu posted:

It actually looks like the knife didn't get any use. There is only blood along the bottom of the blade, and if it was used to stab someone the entire blade should be covered. It looks more like blood just splashed onto it.

That's a definite possibility, but I feel like Hinata would've commented if the other side of the knife was clean. Or it's possible blood also seeped under and just covered the whole bloody thing.

Also, one of the wounds seems to be bigger than the others, but it's hard to say if that means anything or if it's just a frivolous artistic detail. I'm still not ruling out Nagito somehow getting a stab in first, but I can't seem to think of a way for both of these theories to mesh.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Power of Pecota posted:

I was actually kicking around the idea of Kuzuryuu hiding under the floorboards doing recon on the big party while Nagito was cleaning - he gets there before Nagito, steals a skewer for future use, and lurks around under the floor. He sees Nagito planting the knife and doing a test of the air conditioner circuit overload (a separate and distinct plan), and gets a rough idea of what Nagito's planning. When the lights go out, he can set up so he can just thrust the skewer through the crack under where the knife's taped up, and he stabs as soon as something blocks the glow-in-the-dark paint - look at how the knife's set up, someone's going to have to get under the table to tear it off. Someone's not going to flip over the table, rip the taped-up knife off in a visible way, and then stab someone.

What if someone just bent over and lifted up the tablecloth?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

4. Togami's tropism makes him crawl under the table to remove the knife.

Or he just bends over slightly.

Skunkrocker posted:

Slowbeef, the killer under the floorboards thing comes from three key points:
1. The spaces in between the planks, wide enough for a rather large earring thus wide enough for a weapon.
2. The fact Togami was seemingly stabbed under the table, where there is almost no room.
3. There is obvious space beneath the lodge for a person to crawl around under.

This all banks on Togami getting on the ground and there is no way for a killer to guarantee that. If you want to force someone to the floor, you put the knife on the ground. Or you trip up Mikan somehow and kill her instead. You need something better than a "oh maybe someone will get on the floor if I'm lucky" if you're trying to get away with murder.

I can see under the floorboards as a travel route, but I cannot buy for the life of me that this is all just a big coincidence and someone's lying in wait on the hopes that hopefully someone gets within stabbing distance.

And I cannot buy that you can guarantee Togami gets on the ground*. There is just no evidence. It's a bad theory.

edit: *Before enacting this plan. You can't guarantee anyone does. If everyone just stands there, or never even notices the knife to begin with, this plan falls entirely apart.

edit2: I'll make one concession. If it's not a bad theory, then it was a very dumb plan.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 28, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Would anyone besides Nidai realistically have been able to move Togami's body?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

As much as I like the theory that Togami was stabbed from underneath the floorboards, looking at how the wounds were inflicted (up and down his body but irregular distances apart) it does not seem very likely that they all came from someone poking a skewer out from under the floor. On the other hand, I'm not sure how someone could have stabbed him that many times with a fairly small knife in a pretty restricted space without making any noise themselves or having Togami shout out. It definitely feels like we're missing some important piece of information, but my gut instinct at the moment is that the missing skewer is involved somehow and has fallen down under the floorboards.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

[redacted]

Tombolo
Oct 13, 2012
At my heaviest weight, "bending over slightly" was kinda uncomfortable and difficult at times. I would imagine for somebody of Togami's girth, crawling would be a better solution.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Tombolo posted:

At my heaviest weight, "bending over slightly" was kinda uncomfortable and difficult at times. I would imagine for somebody of Togami's girth, crawling would be a better solution.

You're still banking on the fact that Togami - and no one else - finds the knife first.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Tombolo posted:

Not to mention the only thing Togami would know is that there is "stuff under the table". Getting down and crawling underneath is certainly a more thorough inspection that lifting the cloth and taking a peek, and his size only compounds this.

Slowbeef does have a point though, if the plan was to kill Nagito as he went for the knife, there was definitely a risk of him NOT plopping on his belly to do it, opting instead to crouch on the ground and lift the cloth.

I'd say it's definitely possible to do so, given the size of the table. However, I think there's still a good chance Nagito would've ducked down on all floors regardless. Mainly, because he'd be doing so in pitch black. Assuming the glowing paint is a part of the killer's plan and not his, feeling around blindly for the handle of a knife would be pretty careless, especially since having a big cut on your hand would be pretty incriminating.

The problem with the killer's plan, however, is that Nagito could have easily noticed the glowing paint and aborted the plan immediately, and I have a hunch this is actually what happened. So yes, it would be a happy coincidence that Togami went in after him, unless the killer also planned for him whipping out the goggles.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

slowbeef posted:

You're still banking on the fact that Togami - and no one else - finds the knife first.

I'm banking on Togami watching someone trying to retrieve the knife, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Togami was never the target. The plan would have worked on someone else if Togami didn't have night vision and shoo that person away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

slowbeef posted:

They're not criminal masterminds, with the one exception. Their plans will probably have some holes in them.

• Locked thread