Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I always imagined Roast Beef as not only being low-key like Onstad's performance, but also being almost (but not quite) monotone.

That said I can see how that might not play well on TV so I'm okay with the way Onstad played him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
We don't need anymore cartoon cats with monotone voices, thank you very much. :colbert:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Another of my favorites for some odd reason:

Oh dang man this sucks but some characters from web comics just showed up

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Oddly enough, this strip is pretty representative of the kind of Ray dialogue that I can't see coming out of that Toby Huss voice at all, particularly the "Cold have a peter in your mouth" line.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dacap posted:

Oddly enough, this strip is pretty representative of the kind of Ray dialogue that I can't see coming out of that Toby Huss voice at all, particularly the "Cold have a peter in your mouth" line.

Well, you have to understand that Ray is a straight up sexual being. :v:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I never got the "Cold have a peter in your mouth" line. What am I missing?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I never got the "Cold have a peter in your mouth" line. What am I missing?

Garfield sucks the dick. Cold being like, ... gently caress. How the gently caress do I describe that usage of the word cold? It usually applies to being caught cold, like as a boxing term for getting busted in the face I believe.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Replace "cold" with "straight up" or something like that, it's about the same in this context.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I'm having trouble defining it precisely but I read it as "absolutely" in this context.

Garfield absolutely has a peter in his mouth.

e: "straight up" works too!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ah, didn't think it was that simple. It comes off as one of those phrases you need to say out loud before you get the joke.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Achewood is a celebration of the English language.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Your activities are so poorly conveyed

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Rollersnake posted:

Achewood is a celebration of the English language.

Quotin dis 'cos dialogue like " Clipped obituaries have flitted past his eyes. He has wept as grainy footage of pigtailed progeny yet unborn lapped at the backs of his pupils. The scent of spade-work lingers in his olfactory bulbs. He knows his own punchline, and that ruins the joke." owns so much it hurts.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
The Beastie Boys were known to use the word "cold" in that context early in their career. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It means he doesn't doesn't warm the penis up with such as a hot towel before fellating it, as is widely considered courteous. He's saying that Garfield is quite rude.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I can't believe no-one pointed out the most obvious problem with the test animations and the promos.

that is not how Phillipe's mouth opens

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

It means he doesn't doesn't warm the penis up with such as a hot towel before fellating it, as is widely considered courteous. He's saying that Garfield is quite rude.

Ah, so it's the along the same lines of old-school courtesy as "May I Leave Flowers"?

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

csammis posted:

I'm having trouble defining it precisely but I read it as "absolutely" in this context.

Garfield absolutely has a peter in his mouth.

e: "straight up" works too!

What makes the comic even funnier to me is that Garfield actually shows up later in the strip, but in a more sympathetic context: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11302007

Ray is ruuuuude.

The Perky Pervert / Nolan plotline was kind of forgettable but the dialogue in the opening strip slays me for some reason: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11292007

"It's neat! You never really see one of these. Just trying to keep my mind alive, y'know?"

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 3, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The strip after this has Lyle staggering in fresh from his trip to Scotland, with the alt text noting that he picked up some manners.

If I remember right, this is in reference to the pretty amazing,"Lyle ends up sober in a Scottish Girl's Finishing School" storyline that was only ever seen in Lyle's blog, and not referenced anywhere else in the strip itself? Kind of like how Roast Beef and Molly reestablished their relationship in that blog post where Molly details being depressed on Christmas and Beef shows up and basically saving the day? :unsmith:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

The Time Dissolver posted:

Will Patton would be a good voice for Nice Pete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdDOGebqZr8

This is horrifying and perfect.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Man, I don't know what to think about Ray's voice. On one hand, I guess it has the appropriate swagger, but something's still weird about it. I don't mind the voice itself, but I feel like the cadence is off. Ray always sounded like a grown-up frat boy in my mind, and Toby Huss Ray speaks waayyy too slowly for that.

Imagine this strip in the cartoon Ray's voice. It's weird.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08202007

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

It's worth remembering what the Simpsons sounded like during the Tracey Ullman days, which this is sort of comparable to. Note how it's stiff and slow and Homer sounds wrong. Also it's not very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V51kjyVY5bo

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

A lot of the archive strips are in color (e.g.). When did that become A Thing?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

A lot of the archive strips are in color (e.g.). When did that become A Thing?

I'm not seeing any other than those few.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 3, 2013

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
How do you know that a robot's rear end is bad?

IT MUST BE

WHY FIND OUT

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"So Vlad, how's the Make-Out King?"
"Pretty good, Lie Bot. Been havink some pretty good make-outs."

I hope the above exchange makes it into the cartoon in some way.

Edit: Oh man, I forgot all about Vlad getting on the phone with Philippe's mom.

"Until you are so nude."

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 3, 2013

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

"So Vlad, how's the Make-Out King?"
"Pretty good, Lie Bot. Been havink some pretty good make-outs."

I hope the above exchange makes it into the cartoon in some way.

Edit: Oh man, I forgot all about Vlad getting on the phone with Philippe's mom.

"Until you are so nude."

Vlad also gives some helpful advice on the benefits of banging robot ladies. :quagmire:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vlad should be played by someone who can do a close approximation of Boris Badenov. It's only appropriate.

SSDDR
Aug 3, 2004

I don't know if I can handle this, y'know?
Grimey Drawer
I'm really in a mood to re-read it all for the 8th time or so, but drat if achewood doesn't have the worst layout for mobile. Every time I try to go to the next comic I hit the banner and go to the e-book page, or the comic itself which now just reloads the page.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

SSDDR posted:

I'm really in a mood to re-read it all for the 8th time or so, but drat if achewood doesn't have the worst layout for mobile. Every time I try to go to the next comic I hit the banner and go to the e-book page, or the comic itself which now just reloads the page.

Why don't you zoom the hit the button?

I don't like reading it on mobile anyway because I can't experience the alt text.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Van Dis posted:

I really enjoy parts of Achewood but I hope any animated version tones down the casual misogyny.

...do you plan on going into any greater detail on that? I'm not even accusing you of threadshitting, I'm genuinely curious.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Probably talking about Ray constantly trying to get his bone on, and him ordering prostitutes.

Otherwise, I really couldn't guess.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
"[A] woman is just a screaming clear area with a wig on and a large middle where the smells come from." - Peter H. Cropes
"A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does." - Lonis Edison

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
annnnd Nice Pete is a pyschopath serial killer? I really don't see your point.
No where are these characters shown as people to be emulated.

Beside which, it is a talking cat in a comic strip about comic cats,

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Darthemed posted:

"[A] woman is just a screaming clear area with a wig on and a large middle where the smells come from." - Peter H. Cropes
"A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does." - Lonis Edison

If you're gonna quote Nice Pete's warped view of women, quote it right.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Miss Kalle posted:

If you're gonna quote Nice Pete's warped view of women, quote it right.

I did.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Achewood doesn't generally celebrate misogyny or try and justify misogyny or even attempt to make characters look cool/right/good for saying misogynistic things. It doesn't even seem to have the problems with male gaze and awful one-dimensional female personalities that most webcomics seem to have in spades. I wasn't aware this was a problem anybody had with the strip.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Ah the old "author/tv show/movie depicts a {negative trait goes here}1 character, therefore the author/tv show/movie is {negative trait goes here}1" argument. Always a classic.

1 mysoginistic

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wasn't there a webcomic, I think Cat and Girl, that was like "Rarer than a strong female character in Achewood" and the other person started to say Molly but the first one said "Molly's just a prop for Roast Beef." Achewood's definitely a comic that doesn't pass the Bechdel test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donjolly
Jan 15, 2013

"Look at how people are portrayed in comic strips. The women are indecisive whiners, nagging shrews, and bimbos! And the men are no better. They're befuddled morons, heavy drinkers, gluttons, and lazy goof-offs! Everyone is incompetent, unappreciated, and successful! What kind of insidious social programming is this?! No wonder the world is such a mess! I demand politically correct, morally uplifting role models in the funnies!"

"Yes, we all know how funny good role models are."

"And look, all the kids are obnoxious brats!"