Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That's within spec. Those GPUs were rated for up to 105 C or something like that. If the noise isn't bothering you, no need to worry about it. The only solution is new cards or to install custom cooling, both of which are expensive and the cooling part is pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just figured I'd mention for anyone with a AMD Radeon 7850, I removed the stock heatsink on my xfx 7850 double dissipation and reinstalled with arctic silver 5, sort of voiding the warranty (XFX lets you remove it but you are supposed to notify them). Took only 10 minutes total including removing and reinstalling into the machine. My core temps dropped about 15*C load and idle! Now: Idle 27*C Load 62*C. I was able to then overclock my core from 860 to 1100mhz. I haven't noticed any difference with overclocked memory so I left that at 1200mhz. I wouldn't be able to overclock and have it stable without this. I am running 1.15v gpu core.

This resulted in a graphics score of ~p7000
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6015820

Roughly equal to a 7870 and surpassing a 660 (non-ti). It took two attempts to get a good thermal paste application, the first time I used the small grain of rice method and it had worse temps. I then redid it by spreading it evenly on the core, and actually had much better results despite using more paste.

amp281 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 2, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fanelien posted:

So I have a 2 card SLI 570 1280mb set at the moment, I just upgraded to a surround setup and I am noticing some absolutely insane temps in some games like Euro Truck Simulator 2(80c+) and World of Tanks(95c) when run in surround resolutions, even with AA off. It's frightened me off turning on surround in Borderlands 2 etc because I didn't expect cards that basically never got above 75c to shoot for the moon on temps when exposed to a surround set up. I have a massive amount of air flowing through the case from two 180mm fans in the bottom but I just can't keep the temps under control, the only good thing I guess is that the cards haven't started to throttle yet. Other than going to water is there anything I can do to decrease the heat?

Instead of wasting time with fans and water, high temps and power consumption, just get a new high end card and eBay the two 570s.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fanelien posted:

So I have a 2 card SLI 570 1280mb set at the moment, I just upgraded to a surround setup and I am noticing some absolutely insane temps in some games like Euro Truck Simulator 2(80c+) and World of Tanks(95c) when run in surround resolutions, even with AA off. It's frightened me off turning on surround in Borderlands 2 etc because I didn't expect cards that basically never got above 75c to shoot for the moon on temps when exposed to a surround set up. I have a massive amount of air flowing through the case from two 180mm fans in the bottom but I just can't keep the temps under control, the only good thing I guess is that the cards haven't started to throttle yet. Other than going to water is there anything I can do to decrease the heat?
Have you looked into getting a new case?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

amp281 posted:

Roughly equal to a 7870 and surpassing a 660 (non-ti). It took two attempts to get a good thermal paste application, the first time I used the small grain of rice method and it had worse temps. I then redid it by spreading it evenly on the core, and actually had much better results despite using more paste.
It's probably better to use something non-conductive like AS Ceramique or MX-2/MX-4 rather than AS5 on GPU's due to the exposed die.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I recently got a Gigabyte HD7770 v2 gfx card. Since that time I have gotten a few blue screens pointing to the catalyst drivers. I think I was doing HD video playback.. but this makes me unhappy. Any idea if the drivers are unstable? Maybe the card is broken. I don't have issues with corrupted textures or stuff like that.
[edit] Windows 8 64bit Pro, with ASROCK z77 Extreme 6 mobo. 16GB RAM

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 2, 2013

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Fanelien posted:

Is anything else in your case getting hot as well? Might be good to get a utility like CPUID HWMonitor to get an idea of how warm all your components are, so you can see if it's just the cards or if everything is warm. That'll tell you whether your case airflow is good or not, definitely want to try to balance out the airflow so it's a relatively even ratio of air in to air out. If it's not that, try using an OC utility like Precision to manually set your fan speed to a fixed speed that isn't too loud for your tastes. I've got 2 GTX 465 cards in SLI at the moment, have them mildly overclocked to 705/1410/1650 (core/shaders/memory) and for everyday use, keep the fans @ 40% fixed, and maybe pop them up to 60-65% when gaming and my card temps haven't gone above low to mid 70s under load (mainly happens in games like Fallout 3 or RAGE). I also used Arctic Silver 5 paste on them as soon as I got them and ran through a couple stress tests to help burn in the paste, so even when they're idling with 40% fan the temps are steady between 35-40 Celsius. Also have a different case, using an Antec One case with four 120mm fans, one of which is in the side panel blowing right over the cards themselves, but otherwise the fans are well-balanced regarding airflow.

I don't use a surround setup so that's a big difference, but the points above should give a good starting reference for where to look to try to improve temps.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

redeyes posted:

I recently got a Gigabyte HD7770 v2 gfx card. Since that time I have gotten a few blue screens pointing to the catalyst drivers. I think I was doing HD video playback.. but this makes me unhappy. Any idea if the drivers are unstable? Maybe the card is broken. I don't have issues with corrupted textures or stuff like that.
[edit] Windows 8 64bit Pro, with ASROCK z77 Extreme 6 mobo. 16GB RAM

What version of Catalyst are you using? The latest, 13.1, has been smooth as butter in Win 8 for me, even across multiple Radeons. IIRC, 12.10 was the only previous WHQL release for Win 8, so make sure you're not using a different release than those two.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You actually want to be using the Catalyst 13.2 Beta 7 drivers (or whatever the latest is at the time you read this), there's a number of fixes to major bugs that can't be included in release drivers due to the time it takes a driver incorporating them to make it through WHQL certification.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Alereon posted:

You actually want to be using the Catalyst 13.2 Beta 7 drivers (or whatever the latest is at the time you read this), there's a number of fixes to major bugs that can't be included in release drivers due to the time it takes a driver incorporating them to make it through WHQL certification.

Turns out I am using the 13.2 Beta's but for Windows 8. I guess if the blue screens continue I'll RMA the card. Thing is they aren't happening at any known time or running a particular app. Gah, I hate this kind of stuff.

Forgot to mention, I am running in full fast EFI boot mode. No idea if this matters but apparently the video card needs a EFI GOP to run in this mode.. which it does.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 2, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
You may want to try the standard uninstall, reboot, Driver Fusion (free version) to remove the remnants, reboot, reinstall latest beta dance. That can clean up some annoying issues.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Alereon posted:

You may want to try the standard uninstall, reboot, Driver Fusion (free version) to remove the remnants, reboot, reinstall latest beta dance. That can clean up some annoying issues.

Good plan, I'll give that a shot. I did previously have nvidia drivers installed as well.

[edit] AAAND i forgot about Virtu MVP software. I de-installed it. Im sure it could have something to do with blue screens.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 2, 2013

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

grumperfish posted:

It's probably better to use something non-conductive like AS Ceramique or MX-2/MX-4 rather than AS5 on GPU's due to the exposed die.

You are correct, but its been a week with a lot of high temps full load and it hasn't had any issues so its probably set in safely. Didn't really think about it at the time and AS5 was what I had around.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
So I'm not really sure where to ask this but I figure I'll ask here in the GPU thread since it's related to my GPU. Since yesterday when playing BF3 on my Sapphire 7870 GHZ OC edition card I've gotten a 'device hung' error about three times. Does anyone know what this is/what I can do to fix it? It's pretty annoying and I hope my card's ok..

Edit: Max temp is only 65degrees or so, I am running dual screens (one HDMI, one DVI) if that matters or anything?

Guni fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 3, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

amp281 posted:

You are correct, but its been a week with a lot of high temps full load and it hasn't had any issues so its probably set in safely. Didn't really think about it at the time and AS5 was what I had around.
Nah, there's no reason to change it now if it's working.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
This is the best OP I've ever seen on any forum. I've learned so much in just few minutes. Thank you :)

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Is Virtu wort anything at all?

I understand its supposed to either idle the discrete GPU's when not needed and use sandy bridges integrated GPU, or use the integrated GPU to offload stuff from the discrete GPU, but all it ever did for me was display some buttons and a very ugly android. I'm not missing out by ignoring it completely right?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

SocketSeven posted:

Is Virtu wort anything at all?

I understand its supposed to either idle the discrete GPU's when not needed and use sandy bridges integrated GPU, or use the integrated GPU to offload stuff from the discrete GPU, but all it ever did for me was display some buttons and a very ugly android. I'm not missing out by ignoring it completely right?

It's very specialized. Leaving out using it as a vendor-agnostic alternative to Nvidia Optimus or AMD Enduro, Virtu MVP has exactly two uses: 1) allowing you to use IGP features and GPU features at the same time with only a single monitor (read: QuickSync), and 2) a nicer Vsync implementation to reduce frame latency compared to most native Vsync methods (but only when your GPU can put out a significantly faster framerate than your monitor can support). They're nice features, but not deal-breakers to ignore by any means.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Guni posted:

So I'm not really sure where to ask this but I figure I'll ask here in the GPU thread since it's related to my GPU. Since yesterday when playing BF3 on my Sapphire 7870 GHZ OC edition card I've gotten a 'device hung' error about three times. Does anyone know what this is/what I can do to fix it? It's pretty annoying and I hope my card's ok..

Edit: Max temp is only 65degrees or so, I am running dual screens (one HDMI, one DVI) if that matters or anything?

Can you screen capture it? Or Is it a BSOD? What catalyst driver are you on?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Don Lapre posted:

Got my $315 GTX670 FTW from amazon warehouse. Box is beat to hell. Card has been opened and has some wear on the plastic almost from a sticker it looks like, but its working perfectly. Running furmark now without any problems or visual artifacts. All accessories were in the box and sealed, even the poster and stickers.

Trip report from $315 GTX670:

Mine came in a non-original box (WELP) and the fan was not working, currently have an open ticket with EVGA to see if I should RMA to them or try to go through Amazon. For now I'll live a few more days with my 6950 turned 6970.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
drat, it says it may come repackaged but it sucks your fan wasn't working.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

amp281 posted:

Can you screen capture it? Or Is it a BSOD? What catalyst driver are you on?

Thankfully it wasn't BSOD, I'll try and capture it if it happens again. Re: drivers, I'm on 13.2 and yesterday I cleaned off all my old ones (was on 13.1) and installed these fresh. So let's see if it was the drivers?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Guni posted:

Is it only happening with BF3? Any other times it's happened, whether gaming or watching videos? I did a quick search and found a couple possible culprits, not sure if you'd tried them or not:

- Make sure DirectX is up to date (should be able to run dxwebsetup from the MS website)
- Blow away your graphics drivers, reboot in Safe Mode, run a utility like Driver Sweeper/Driver Fusion (and maybe CCleaner too), reboot and do a fresh, clean reinstall of drivers
- May be an issue related to overclocked cards, oddly enough - some sleuthing found others having issues with BF3 on overclocked cards, regardless of brand/vendor. If you're using any overclock utility, see if it has an option to bump the card's stock voltage. Or, barring that, try clocking the core/memory down slightly and test BF3 again to confirm if it's an overclock issue - if you go the voltage increase route, check to see what the max "safe" voltage for your card is, last thing you want to do is mess it up by giving too much juice.

Outside that, not sure if any other patches or updates are available, if you've exhausted that route then definitely do some testing and keep us posted.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Don Lapre posted:

drat, it says it may come repackaged but it sucks your fan wasn't working.

Yeah, at least I noticed it before it popped the HS or anything silly.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Ozz81 posted:

Is it only happening with BF3? Any other times it's happened, whether gaming or watching videos? I did a quick search and found a couple possible culprits, not sure if you'd tried them or not:

- Make sure DirectX is up to date (should be able to run dxwebsetup from the MS website)
- Blow away your graphics drivers, reboot in Safe Mode, run a utility like Driver Sweeper/Driver Fusion (and maybe CCleaner too), reboot and do a fresh, clean reinstall of drivers
- May be an issue related to overclocked cards, oddly enough - some sleuthing found others having issues with BF3 on overclocked cards, regardless of brand/vendor. If you're using any overclock utility, see if it has an option to bump the card's stock voltage. Or, barring that, try clocking the core/memory down slightly and test BF3 again to confirm if it's an overclock issue - if you go the voltage increase route, check to see what the max "safe" voltage for your card is, last thing you want to do is mess it up by giving too much juice.

Outside that, not sure if any other patches or updates are available, if you've exhausted that route then definitely do some testing and keep us posted.

Yeah so far only in BF3, my card was overclocked a little bit but really not that much. As I said in a previous post I cleaned up the old drivers using driver sweeper and since then it hasn't happened again. I'll keep everyone posted if it does happen again and ill try those steps at that time. :)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
TressFX update: maybe if Nvidia had made it it would have been good

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Eh, I think it looks pretty decent on my 7970, the biggest issue is that there's this force field around the character model so the hair appears to hit the shoulders about an inch above where they really are. From behind it looks pretty convincing, but when they do cinematic stuff it becomes pretty glaring.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I guess I can maintain my "i went with team green" :smug: then? sweet!

Shame these things are never as good as advertised (whatever vendor makes them).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Or maybe we should just wait until its refined a bit and more than one game that literally just came out uses it until we make judgements?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Or maybe we should just wait until its refined a bit and more than one game that literally just came out uses it until we make judgements?

Its not like amd is making a big deal about that one game or anything.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
To be fair nVidia made a pretty big deal about Blops2 and its graphics were broken as poo poo for like a month after launch (TXAA disabled AO, incorrect AA resolve made white outlines around everything).

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Should I go for a 660 or a 660 TI. It is for Arma 3 and Borderlans 2 because they run physX.

Quick edit: the difference between the 2 is 100 $.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bleusilences posted:

Should I go for a 660 or a 660 TI. It is for Arma 3 and Borderlans 2 because they run physX.

How cheap are you getting the 660? You can get a 3gb 660ti for $279 after rebate

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...T_k9P9Y9X1zqanw

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

SocketSeven posted:

I guess I can maintain my "i went with team green" :smug: then? sweet!

Shame these things are never as good as advertised (whatever vendor makes them).
It's not vendor specific, any DX11 card can run it. Badly. My 660 Ti runs the game perfectly smooth at 60FPS unless I enable TressFX, at which point it drops hard. I feel that Nvidia would have (been able to) put more developers on it, so it wouldn't have the absurd FPS hit it does and not have the bugs it has. Her hair rests a good three inches off her shoulders (a model issue probably, but one AMD should have insisted was fixed) and whenever you move it bounces.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

As a first impression it's terrible. It looks pretty good if you're standing still in the wind, but it's worse than the normal option if you're actually moving around and it has a massive FPS hit.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Bleusilences posted:

The 660Ti is good, the 660 is terrible.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The 660Ti is good, the 660 is terrible.

Yeah, if you're looking at spending any less than a 660ti you should probably look to something from the previous generation. You can probably get something in the 570 or 580 range for about the same price that'd perform better than the 660.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

ANY amount of movement while zoomed in with the bow causes Lara's hair to go like there's a hurricane going left and right. It's kind of hilarious. It' looks fantastic when zoomed out, though, and I only lose about 5 fps with my 7870 xt.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

spouse posted:

ANY amount of movement while zoomed in with the bow causes Lara's hair to go like there's a hurricane going left and right. It's kind of hilarious. It' looks fantastic when zoomed out, though, and I only lose about 5 fps with my 7870 xt.
I've also had it where it completely disappeared coming out of a tomb, which looked really amusing since she seemed to turn into a librarian with a bun on top.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I was clicking through reviews and ran across PC Perspective's Titan review. It includes some extra data that's really interesting. You may or may not remember that PCPer is developing its own frame time analysis, similar to Tech Report's, which looks to get an even better measure of GPU performance than standard FRAPS FPS averages or TechReport's FRAPS frame time analysis. PCPer's method is to overlay different colors on each frame, then capture the DVI output and count the different colors to see which rendered frames make it into the final output and when. Vsync is off.

Full size that bad boy. See the tiny orange stripe between the yellow and white frames? That's an entire "frame" as counted by FRAPS. When you ignore those microframes, Radeon 7970 CrossFire performs like a single card.

That's the Tech Report-style frame time graph for 100 frames. Top two lines are Team Red and Team Green single-card configs, and the bottom two lines are dual-card. The 7970 is showing very pronounced microstutter.

That's the DVI output frametimes, with microframes being the 0-1 ms (rounded) frames. All the cards are performing their own post-render smoothing. On the 680, 680 SLI, and single 7970 configs, this post-render smoothing is doing its job. On the 7970 CF setup, it is exacerbating the card sync problem already present.

If you haven't already, click through the article. The full test length graphs are really something, and these guys deserve clicks for this stuff.

Also, here's the Tech Report blog entry that led me to PCPer, and it's worth a read on its own.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Well, that very much matches what playing with my 2x7850s feels like. Without VSync, it worsens what tearing I would've otherwise experienced and feels subjectively worse than running single GPU. With VSync, stuttering doesn't feel as bad, and frame rates are relatively smooth, but nothing near what a second GPU should be like.

CrossfireX -- never again.