Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The Prisoner posted:

What ESPN ought to be doing is hiring people who are legitimately entertaining and likable to helm Sportscenter, as their subsidiary north of the border seems to have done. Many of my Canadian friends watch TSN's Sportscentre for Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole antics as much as they do for the news and highlights. The distinction here is that Onrait and O'Toole are light-hearted and enjoyable guys who don't take themselves or their roles too seriously - which may or may not be inherent to TSN's less dominant position over Canadian sports media versus ESPN's over the US' combined with the fact their timeslot is later at night.

Well that used to be the Formula that ESPN did go with in the 90's.

Guys like Patrick, Olbermann (pre-msnbc), Eisen, Steiner seemed to have a great balance of that. They could make jokes, while retaining some sort of sense of professionalism.

I've taken to watching Sky Sports News on Fox Soccer lately on nights when I can't sleep. I have no clue about Premier League Soccer or UEFA in general, but it's a rather good watch.

NBCSN is rather good too. The 'Lights isn't bad, and the Dan Patrick show is pretty fun to watch as well. Also good news for motorsports fans! They're launching a show devoted to motorsports called "The Grid" this thursday at 9:30 pm EST.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

MourningView posted:

I for the life of me cannot understand why anyone would watch ESPN outside of games, but like half the forum appears to watch it all day long. If you want highlights just flip on ESPNews, it's generally a better product anyway.

Until last year I didn't have a DVR or streaming Netflix/Hulu/etc, so when I watched tv and was in between Netflix deliveries, it was having to choose between soap operas or ESPN. Working evenings sucks balls.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
A portion of my job involves a lot downtime in a place with a lot of websites blocked so it's pretty much read whatever is on Yahoo Sports then on to ESPN.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

The Prisoner posted:

What ESPN ought to be doing is hiring people who are legitimately entertaining and likable to helm Sportscenter, as their subsidiary north of the border seems to have done. Many of my Canadian friends watch TSN's Sportscentre for Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole antics as much as they do for the news and highlights. The distinction here is that Onrait and O'Toole are light-hearted and enjoyable guys who don't take themselves or their roles too seriously - which may or may not be inherent to TSN's less dominant position over Canadian sports media versus ESPN's over the US' combined with the fact their timeslot is later at night.

In the ESPN oral history book that came out a couple years ago they go into why this isn't the case on ESPN anymore. The brass, at a certain point, got wary about creating personalities rather than news anchors, and the Eisens/Scotts/Olbermanns of the network were growing big enough as "names" that they could demand superstar-level salaries.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

BackInTheUSSR posted:

In the ESPN oral history book that came out a couple years ago they go into why this isn't the case on ESPN anymore. The brass, at a certain point, got wary about creating personalities rather than news anchors, and the Eisens/Scotts/Olbermanns of the network were growing big enough as "names" that they could demand superstar-level salaries.

Yeah honestly how in the hell could ESPN afford to pay high salaries?! Oh wait...

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Noted moron fuckhead Tony Massaroti is leaving the Globe. Don't let the door hit your rear end on the way out. Your only upside was that in comparison to Dan Shaughnessey, you were a beacon of well-thought journalistic integrity.

On the one hand, I've never felt the vitriol for him that I have for other Boston baseball writers for some dumb reason. On the other hand, I got into an argument with him on air about how his use of wins as a primary pitching stat was asinine and he more or less dismissed the argument, sooo

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Speaking of Olbermann, he actually wants to go back to ESPN:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/sports/keith-olbermann-expresses-interest-in-return-to-espn.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Why not, I mean he's burned bridges with pretty much everyone else. Plus 16 years seems long enough.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tim Thomas posted:

On the one hand, I've never felt the vitriol for him that I have for other Boston baseball writers for some dumb reason. On the other hand, I got into an argument with him on air about how his use of wins as a primary pitching stat was asinine and he more or less dismissed the argument, sooo

It's all about contrast, if he didn't work for a section composed mainly of complete idiots he'd seem worse.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

The Prisoner posted:

I know exactly what you mean. I watch Sportscentre for Jay and Dan (hell, I listen to their podcast) because they're a fun watch, even when Sportcentre does 20 minutes of hockey highlights I couldn't care less about. For the longest time, I just assumed ESPN was like this too and I was surprised when I watched an episode a year or two ago.

That said, I'd argue TSN is pretty dominant in Canadian sports media. They have NFL and NCAA tournament rights, both the NBA and NHL playoffs and the bulk of ESPN's programming.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Vertical Lime posted:

Speaking of Olbermann, he actually wants to go back to ESPN:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/sports/keith-olbermann-expresses-interest-in-return-to-espn.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Why not, I mean he's burned bridges with pretty much everyone else. Plus 16 years seems long enough.

Keith Olbermann posted:

I don't burn bridges; I burn rivers.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Yeah, it will probably never happen. Then again, he did have a stint at MSNBC after leaving ESPN in the late 90's before his more well-remembered second tenure.

Meanwhile, according to Stephen A. Smith, there are still ties in hockey:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/march/stephen-a-smith-rants-on-ties-in-hockey-which-don-t-exist-anymore.html

Not that I expected him to be anywhere close to a hockey expert, but c'mon.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

reuniting DP with Olberman for a nightly sports highlights show on NBCSN would be awesome.

But I don't think that NBC is too keen on him. But that would be my dream scenario

Vertical Lime posted:

Yeah, it will probably never happen. Then again, he did have a stint at MSNBC after leaving ESPN in the late 90's before his more well-remembered second tenure.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/march/stephen-a-smith-rants-on-ties-in-hockey-which-don-t-exist-anymore.html

ESPN is going to continue to hitch their wagon to these type of idiots and it's going to lead them down a path of failure.

Stephen A. Smith isn't qualified to discuss how to make a ham sandwich, let alone talk about hockey.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Vertical Lime posted:

C'mon ESPN, do you really need to argue which streak is "better"? Although at least it's not another round of WHO'S MORE NOW?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
To be fair, hockey fans, SAS knows that little about all sports.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Groucho Marxist posted:

Didn't he write a column once about something that was days out of date? And it led to him leaving the Philadelphia paper for good?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Groucho Marxist posted:

I guess if McNabb didn't know you could have a tie in the sport that was literally his job, I guess anything is possible.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Didn't he write a column once about something that was days out of date? And it led to him leaving the Philadelphia paper for good?

He wrote a column before SBXXXIX about McNabb's triumph as the first black SB-starting QB since Doug Williams. He kinda forgot about Steve McNair in SBXXXIV.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So today marks the announcement of the worst kept secret in sports media. Fox Sports One:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/FOX-Sports-announces-FOX-Sports-1-network-030513

It certainly looks like it has a better chance of succeeding than NBC or CBS' sports networks. Except maybe for that late afternoon Regis show.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Given Stephen A's history with The Onion, someone should tweet him their article about the Blackhawks' U-Haul overturning.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 6, 2013

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Vertical Lime posted:

So today marks the announcement of the worst kept secret in sports media. Fox Sports One:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/FOX-Sports-announces-FOX-Sports-1-network-030513

It certainly looks like it has a better chance of succeeding than NBC or CBS' sports networks. Except maybe for that late afternoon Regis show.

If anybody can slow down ESPN's march toward controlling the entire landscape, it can only be a good thing. Hopefully this means We could see Fox tweaking some of it's network and regional studios as well, because boy are they terrible.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Really the only thing you have to say about Stephen A. and ESPN is that Miami's current win streak is the second longest in the NBA this season. What a network of clowns.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Simplex posted:

Really the only thing you have to say about Stephen A. and ESPN is that Miami's current win streak is the second longest in the NBA this season. What a network of clowns.

This has to be on purpose, right? It's gotta be.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Zorkon posted:

This has to be on purpose, right? It's gotta be.

OF Course it is. People who like sports love to argue. People who like sports love stats. Talking about the Heat/Danica Patrick/Brett Favre boosts ratings for ESPN. So find some stats and strip them of any and all context/create some new and completely misleading context, find some hacks to proclaim that this is something significant and important, and voila instant ratings.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The fact that we're talking about Stephen A Smith is evidence that ESPN has already won.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Richard Sherman. Skip Bayless. Showdown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6x-O3kb1sI

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i miss who's now

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The day ESPN cancelled Stump the Schwab was the day they sealed their fate, frankly.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Prisoner posted:

The day ESPN cancelled Stump the Schwab was the day they sealed their fate, frankly.
I'm pretty sure it was whenever they did Dream Job, but with ex-NBA players.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Plus Simmons of all people doesn't approve

quote:

It's amazing to me that people get so worked up about First Take. Who cares? Just don't watch it. There are like 800 TV channels.

I am not defending this segment - http://youtu.be/j6x-O3kb1sI - I thought it was awful and embarrassing to everyone involved. Seriously.

But what bothers me about the reaction to that segment is people saying Richard Sherman "won." Nobody won. Everyone lost. Including ESPN.

I guess he can get away with it because he's Simmons.

And too bad they can't afford to go back to showing obscure sports.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

All they care about is people talking about them. I know it's being portrayed as bad for ESPN, but I bet they are eating this up. They probably love Simmons tweeting about it. They love all the blogs ripping them apart. They threw any semblance of journalism out the window years ago and now it's just about doing and saying whatever they can to get eyeballs.

The best way to respond to the crap is to just ignore it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

Plus Simmons of all people doesn't approve

I guess he can get away with it because he's Simmons.

And too bad they can't afford to go back to showing obscure sports.
All I've ever wanted them to do is start showing Australian Rules Football at weird hours of the day every week during the season again like they did when I was five.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Richard Sherman looked like a big stupid baby and somehow managed to made Skip look reasonable.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

All I've ever wanted them to do is start showing Australian Rules Football at weird hours of the day every week during the season again like they did when I was five.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Thunder

:allears:

The other angle to this. Who the hell honestly likes any of these asshats? At least you could argue with opinionated political pundits like O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Maddow, etc that they indeed have their supporters.

Do people actually support Skip Bayless? Stephen A. Smith? Mark May? Colin Cowherd?

I don't watch them, but I know of like 1 or 2 people who do watch "first take" for some ungodly reason.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I like Stephen A. Smith, since at least part of his job description is "antagonize whitey"

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Thunder

:allears:

The other angle to this. Who the hell honestly likes any of these asshats? At least you could argue with opinionated political pundits like O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Maddow, etc that they indeed have their supporters.

Do people actually support Skip Bayless? Stephen A. Smith? Mark May? Colin Cowherd?

I don't watch them, but I know of like 1 or 2 people who do watch "first take" for some ungodly reason.

It saddens me greatly that you lumped Maddow in with O'Reilly and Limbaugh. Like, a lot.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Ace Jameson posted:

Richard Sherman looked like a big stupid baby and somehow managed to made Skip look reasonable.

Still the best part was when Skips says "that's debatable" about him not being one of the 22 best sports media figures because even he knows he can't argue that. The reason Sherman looks terrible is because Skip Bayless is a cartoon, you can't argue with him and not look ridiculous. Or Chris Broussard. gently caress Chris Broussard.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Jota posted:

It saddens me greatly that you lumped Maddow in with O'Reilly and Limbaugh. Like, a lot.
The argument is theoretically helped by throwing in a liberal, even though the hallmark of liberal punditry these days is that they actually use facts and analysis. The last liberal talk show host off the top of my head that I thought relied on just complete bullshit was Mike Malloy, who was pretty :tinfoil: by the time Air America sacked him. (And looking up--again, fact-based punditry! :eng101: his show is still on SiriusXM, so I guess he's relevant to the sub-discussion)

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Politicalrancor posted:

Still the best part was when Skips says "that's debatable" about him not being one of the 22 best sports media figures because even he knows he can't argue that. The reason Sherman looks terrible is because Skip Bayless is a cartoon, you can't argue with him and not look ridiculous. Or Chris Broussard. gently caress Chris Broussard.

Agreed on all counts, but "you suck at life" is straight out of 7th grade.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Jota posted:

Why? Same iconoclastic nonsense, just of a different political bent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
One of these days I am just going to make talking about anything that happened on First Take bannable.