Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I know that Ben Stein went off the deep end a while ago regarding politics, but god drat he sounds terrible these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008
Since I live in a valley in Appalachia, there's basically no radio except for NPR and conservative talk. Though this isn't completely related to right-wing radio, I had the pleasure of listening to "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" while driving to the grocery store this afternoon...and I got to hear (possibly) the two worst punch-lines I've ever heard in my life:

Here's the link if you enjoy awkward, horrible poo poo as much as I do. Otherwise I just quoted it below:
(Hit play full episode, scroll down to "Limericks." then start it at about 2:30)
http://www.npr.org/programs/wait-wait-dont-tell-me/

"Drones can track you with thermal imaging, but not if you're wearing a new drone proof clothing called stealth wear. The large, silver, tent-like garments make you completely invisible to drones... and to potential mates!! However, the new predator drones can defeat this defense with their new UGLY SEEKING MISSILES ! ! !"

I guess in a way this could probably be categorized at right-wing "humor." It derives its lame punch-line from a dismissal of the real threat drones (or more importantly, the military in general) have on actual people. And the "joke" comes from a place of privilege.

But I'm also kinda dumb, so I probably shouldn't over-analyze what is actually just a really, really lovely joke.

Edit: Also, hating on accents is super loving dumb and often classist as hell, idiots. I don't particularly "enjoy" Minnesotan accents, but that is entirely my problem and it literally says nothing about about someone who speaks that way. Same thing for any other region, goddamn.

cymbalrush fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 9, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

cymbalrush posted:

Since I live in a valley in Appalachia, there's basically no radio except for NPR and conservative talk. Though this isn't completely related to right-wing radio, I had the pleasure of listening to "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" while driving to the grocery store this afternoon...and I got to hear (possibly) the two worst punch-lines I've ever heard in my life:
That show is absolutely the worst thing on any hour of the week on my local NPR station, and probably yours too. The jokes are always that bad. It's too stupid to be malicious.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

cymbalrush posted:

"Drones can track you with thermal imaging, but not if you're wearing a new drone proof clothing called stealth wear. The large, silver, tent-like garments make you completely invisible to drones... and to potential mates!! However, the new predator drones can defeat this defense with their new [i]UGLY

For a second I thought conservative radio was actually shilling drone-proof clothing. Maybe I should just give it some time.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Knowing that show, they likely honestly didn't mean anything by it and are just being dumb.

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008

Warchicken posted:

Knowing that show, they likely honestly didn't mean anything by it and are just being dumb.

Oh I know, it's just soooo bad that I felt like sharing it. I audibly groaned, alone in my car, when I heard it (which is something I never do).

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I like how "Separation of Church and State" has somehow been perverted to mean "Enforce whatever the Catholic Church wants". (Actually, I don't like it. It makes me quite... mad:unsmigghh:)

I think the error in logic being made on the Right is that "Secularism" is a religion being pushed by those drat Libs. Alternately, they really don't give a poo poo and are cynical bastards who will say whatever doublespeakin' drat thing that will allow them to stay in power.

quote:

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me

I hate Saturdays on NPR, usually.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 10, 2013

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP
Fox and Laura Ingraham stooped to a new low during a hit piece on the Southern Poverty Law Center. She brought on a personal friend from the SPLC certified hate group Federation for American Immigration Reform to lie about the SPLC while completely avoiding the subject of why FAIR is listed as a hate group. There is also some retired FBI bumblefuck that admits he doesn't know anything about the SPLC while mumbling along in agreement with Ingraham. The whole thing is loving surreal.

The SPLC have a very detailed write up of FAIR and why they classify them as a racist hate group on their website.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

watt par posted:

He has a pretty noticeable piedmont accent.

redmercer posted:

Intelligent people manage to squash down the accent. I bet it would come through if someone managed to piss him off enough

The angle I was going for is that people with noticeable southern accents don't necessarily sound like retards when they speak.

back on track here's a picture of Michael Savage and Allen Ginsberg:

based gaddis
Jul 4, 2012

surrender posted:

On a side note, Tucker Carlson is a weekend host for Fox and Friends. I'm amazed that he can still show himself in public after the Daily Caller was caught in a lie this week, but then again, these people have no shame.

Michael Brown of FEMA fame was a guest on O'Reilly just the other night

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

WWDTM is bad, but nothing on the radio, much less NPR, is as viscerally irritating as A Prairie Home Companion.

Iamthegibbons posted:

I was browing the dark side of Youtube for laughs, and I came across this guy called 'Ghost'. I can't quite decide, but the guy is either completely insane or a comic genius. Generally his approach seems to be to rant about something, and work himself up to the point that he is violently wretching, foaming at the mouth and coughing his guts up. Here is is ranting about communists in congress and chairman Mao. Skip to 3:15 for the real craziness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtqMzsPKY2c&t=195s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3-wp6mp1wY
This guy owns

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Wait Wait Don't Tell me is awesome :colbert:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/covert-malaysian-campaign-touched-a-wide-range-of-american-m

"A range of mainstream American publications printed paid propaganda for the government of Malaysia, much of it focused on the campaign against a pro-democracy figure there. The payments to conservative American opinion writers — whose work appeared in outlets from the Huffington Post and San Francisco Examiner to the Washington Times to National Review and RedState — emerged in a filing this week to the Department of Justice. The filing under the Foreign Agent Registration Act outlines a campaign spanning May 2008 to April 2011 and led by Joshua Trevino, a conservative pundit, who received $389,724.70 under the contract and paid smaller sums to a series of conservative writers.

Trevino’s subcontractors included conservative writer Ben Domenech, who made $36,000 from the arrangement, and Rachel Ehrenfeld, the director of the American Center for Democracy, who made $30,000. Seth Mandel, an editor at Commentary, made $5,500 (his byline is attached to the National Review item linked to above). Brad Jackson, writing at the time for RedState, made $24,700. Overall, 10 writers were part of the arrangement."

http://wonkette.com/503837/heroic-right-wing-columnists-taking-malaysian-bribe-money-is-that-not-ok

"If “a fairly standard PR operation” involves paying off columnists to write about certain things, it seems journalists at every other publication ever were just misinformed about what was “ethical.” Jayson Blair stole quotes, made up stories, reported on events he never went to, then put it all in the New York Times, and he still did not take any bribes."

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008

Ah Pook posted:

WWDTM is bad, but nothing on the radio, much less NPR, is as viscerally irritating as A Prairie Home Companion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3-wp6mp1wY
This guy owns

No idea if the dude is for real... I assume he's just parodying Alex Jones, but I seriously can't tell. Owns regardless.

My face in time-lapse listening to it:

edit:

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/covert-malaysian-campaign-touched-a-wide-range-of-american-m

"A range of mainstream American publications printed paid propaganda for the government of Malaysia, much of it focused on the campaign against a pro-democracy figure there. The payments to conservative American opinion writers — whose work appeared in outlets from the Huffington Post and San Francisco Examiner to the Washington Times to National Review and RedState — emerged in a filing this week to the Department of Justice. The filing under the Foreign Agent Registration Act outlines a campaign spanning May 2008 to April 2011 and led by Joshua Trevino, a conservative pundit, who received $389,724.70 under the contract and paid smaller sums to a series of conservative writers.

Trevino’s subcontractors included conservative writer Ben Domenech, who made $36,000 from the arrangement, and Rachel Ehrenfeld, the director of the American Center for Democracy, who made $30,000. Seth Mandel, an editor at Commentary, made $5,500 (his byline is attached to the National Review item linked to above). Brad Jackson, writing at the time for RedState, made $24,700. Overall, 10 writers were part of the arrangement."

Yeah, this is batshit insane. Has there been any real media coverage of this? $400k doesn't sound like a drop in a bucket when it's going to a third rate DC rear end-sniffer.

cymbalrush fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 10, 2013

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Look, wwtd is frequently boring, but prairie home companion owns and they make fun of right wingers if they ever say anything about politics so what I'm saying is I'll beat you up for dissing my phc :colbert:

I remember the host getting in some hot water over some offensive letter though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'll gladly pay Al Qaeda to take Garrison Keillor off our hands.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Alternately, they really don't give a poo poo and are cynical bastards who will say whatever doublespeakin' drat thing that will allow them to stay in power.

Um, yeah, they'll do basically whatever. They're pretty rock and roll about the whole affair, really. They start with, "We must win this election" and go from there. If they were supposed to feel ashamed about something, then why did they get so many votes. When they lose the presidency by twenty million votes, they'll start to wonder about who and what they are.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

watt par posted:

I'll gladly pay Al Qaeda to take Garrison Keillor off our hands.

Ugly bastard, looking like the love-child of Barney Frank and Newt Gingrich

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Devor posted:

Ugly bastard, looking like the love-child of Barney Frank and Newt Gingrich

Man's got a face for radio, that's for sure.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

redmercer posted:

Intelligent people manage to squash down the accent. I bet it would come through if someone managed to piss him off enough

In that case, I give you Basically Every Great Southern Writer, Playwright, and Actor Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScWlr5qZUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKOT6OAvYnA

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Blastedhellscape posted:

I grew up in North Carolina (in a rural area too,) and have lived here most of my life, and I have about as much of a southern accent as Ben Folds. Most people I know also sound like that. I think it's something about growing up with television and lots of people who moved here from all over because of the lower cost of living that gives you a kind of a regionless accent.

My northern friends all insist I have a strong southern twang, and all my southern friends claim I "sound like a yankee". v:keke:v

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

towelieban posted:

Let's please get this thread back on track.

I was listening to Chris Plant today (re-broadcast from this week on local station in Northern Va) and he was talking about how Rupublicans are the ones that want to help the poor move on up in society and economically (boostraps, baby!) and the Democraps want to keep them poor as to get their votes. Anyone else get this yahoo on their radio station? I beleive he comes on before Rush "Im about to Gush" Limbaugh

Chris Plant is only on WMAL AM/FM in the DC area, but of course is online for anyone who wants to kill brain cells listen.

http://www.wmal.com/

The few times I've listened he's a DC local hack, not good enough for syndication yet somehow remains on-air here. There was some discussion of WMAL's continuing decline as a radio station even AFTER moving to FM. WMAL is basically a few local hack morning hosts with the rest of their schedule filled with satellite programming. Golly it's like government-based employees in the DC area don't want to listen to their livelihoods be poo poo on while commuting, who thunk it!? Wish the half-dozen or so conservative-yack radio stations in this market would figure that out ...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The GOP talk about bootstraps is in line with the straitlaced (dare I say conservative) view that beating your kids makes them more successful adults.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

Classism ITT.

I didn't choose the Civil War-fetishizing fraternity class life, the Civil War-fetishizing fraternity class life chose me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
WWTDM is so loving awful. What exactly is the appeal? Is there something I'm missing? I know it's not exactly right-wing media, but it's just complete and utter garbage. If there's something I don't "get" about the show I'm completely ready to hear it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

All Of The Dicks posted:

I didn't choose the Civil War-fetishizing fraternity class life, the Civil War-fetishizing fraternity class life chose me.
As someone who grew up in Pennsylvania who has no Southern accent but is only holding off on joining the SCV because they're sort of a hate group, gently caress off.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

cheerfullydrab posted:

WWTDM is so loving awful. What exactly is the appeal? Is there something I'm missing? I know it's not exactly right-wing media, but it's just complete and utter garbage. If there's something I don't "get" about the show I'm completely ready to hear it.

It's dad humor.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

All Of The Dicks posted:

I speak with an accent that's occasionally mistaken for a Southern Drawl (it's actually the Oregon Drawl, which yes is a thing) so gently caress you.

Moving on: I recently had a conversation with a girl who was attending Bob Jones University (due to her parents paying the bills and not really by any choice of her). Apparently she was banned from playing an online game, even something like Dragon Cave from their wifi, along with just about ever other game. The sole exception was Pottermore, for some drat reason. Collecting dragon sprites=banned. Playing some drat game involving the wizards and witches of Harry Potter, a-okay. I will never understand Fundies.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

cheerfullydrab posted:

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is not something I sit down and listen to every week but I do enjoy it on long car trips. The appeal for me is off the cuff jokes about current events. Also they usually have a short interview with a person of note (I wouldn't say famous, but sometimes they are). The host Peter Sagal is pretty funny and I quite enjoy the banter but I suppose the show is probably not for you if you can't enjoy a corny Paula Poundstone joke. Watt par described succinctly with "dad humor".

I saw the show live once a few years ago and I'm currently thinking about getting a WWDTM tattoo or maybe I'll just donate that money during the next public radio fund raiser. :downsrim:

For the record I can't stand Prairie Home Companion. Listening to a dude breath through his nose is not where it's at for me.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!
Young Orc

eggsovereasy posted:

For Real.

I wish they would interview Supply Side Jesus...

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 10, 2013

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

You can tell from the panel introduction if the show will be any good. Paula Poundstone and Alonzo Bodden are funny, but Mo Rocca sucks.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Look, fuckers, I worked hard to make sure I did not acquire the awful accent of my homeland and nothing is going to take away the joy of being superior to people who didn't.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

All Of The Dicks posted:

Look, fuckers, I worked hard to make sure I did not acquire the awful accent of my homeland and nothing is going to take away the joy of being superior to people who didn't.
Fact remains that southern accents are awesome and you really, really need to figure out some other way to feel smugly superior to other Americans.

Welcome to the Republican Party.

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

All Of The Dicks posted:

You could move to Australia, southern accents sound the same as "natives". You will need to re-learn your slang though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eggsovereasy posted:

I un-ironically love Wait Wait . . . and that joke!

I also like Whad'ya Know with Michael Feldman. Car Talk is occasionally interesting but annoying for prolonged periods. Prairie Home Companion hasn't been remotely funny in decades, unfortunately -- I remember liking it when I was a kid but something happened and it just stopped working.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 10, 2013

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
A Prairie Home Companion would be a lot less grating if Keillor didn't have to do the rhubarb pie bit every episode.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

samurai slowdown posted:

Fox and Laura Ingraham stooped to a new low during a hit piece on the Southern Poverty Law Center. She brought on a personal friend from the SPLC certified hate group Federation for American Immigration Reform to lie about the SPLC while completely avoiding the subject of why FAIR is listed as a hate group. There is also some retired FBI bumblefuck that admits he doesn't know anything about the SPLC while mumbling along in agreement with Ingraham. The whole thing is loving surreal.

The SPLC have a very detailed write up of FAIR and why they classify them as a racist hate group on their website.

A pretty good way of telling that someone is objectively evil is if they hate the Southern Poverty Law Center.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

All Of The Dicks posted:

It's really creepy how obsessed you are with feeling superior for massively changing yourself for the benefits of others. Like, you should legit look into getting some help, this isn't how healthy people act.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I thought he was being sarcastic. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is not something I sit down and listen to every week but I do enjoy it on long car trips.

This exactly. It's the best way to pass the time when you're driving though a hundred miles of nothingness.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Fact remains that southern accents are awesome and you really, really need to figure out some other way to feel smugly superior to other Americans.

Welcome to the Republican Party.

The superior southern accent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csfyrRqc5TU