Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pillman was so loving savvy when it came to poo poo like this. He played drat near everyone in the entire company like a fiddle.

Hogan WISHES he had the backstage nous that Pillman had.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Tato posted:

I'm going nuts because I can't remember if it was on the radio or in the Observer back issues, but recently Meltzer was talking about the horrible Doomsday Cage Match and revealed that apparently Hulk Hogan REALLY REALLY wanted Brian Pillman to be in that match as one of the numerous people Hogan squashed because he was so threatened by Pillman's outsider act getting over. Like, to the point where Hulk and the front office were calling Pillman almost every day begging him to take the match so Hogan could squash him. Pillman, always smart, decided to get his voicebox surgery during that period instead so that he could claim he wasn't medically cleared to wrestle.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I could listen to these stories coming to light of Hogan being a huge piece of poo poo all day long.

C'mon, who's got some more. WCW must've been overflowing with 'em.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
There was that one time where Hulk was on a radio show and was asked by a caller why guys like Perry Saturn and the like weren't being given a bigger role on the show. Hulk casually made some vanilla midget joke and then said that guys his size didn't draw. That same week it came out that Perry Saturn was in a segment with a higher rating that Hulk Hogan on the same show.

I mean that's the bare bones of the story, someone else could probably fill in the details and maybe correct me if I got the wrong cruiserweight.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tato posted:

I'm going nuts because I can't remember if it was on the radio or in the Observer back issues, but recently Meltzer was talking about the horrible Doomsday Cage Match and revealed that apparently Hulk Hogan REALLY REALLY wanted Brian Pillman to be in that match as one of the numerous people Hogan squashed because he was so threatened by Pillman's outsider act getting over. Like, to the point where Hulk and the front office were calling Pillman almost every day begging him to take the match so Hogan could squash him. Pillman, always smart, decided to get his voicebox surgery during that period instead so that he could claim he wasn't medically cleared to wrestle.
That was on the podcast last week. Maybe the week before.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tato posted:

It was definitely a radio show. I heard it too.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Pillman at one point planned to show up to a Madison Square Garden event, jump the rail and challenge Shawn Michaels to a fight.

Pillman was also the original Social Media wrestler as he used to post on AOL all of the time.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Brian Pillman was just too great for this world.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Pillman made about 30K setting up a wrestling hotline after he conned Bischoff into his release.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MassRayPer posted:

Pillman made about 30K setting up a wrestling hotline after he conned Bischoff into his release.

The story of how he got his release still makes me smile. It was running the long con to the nth degree, it was beautiful.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TONIGHT AT 9 PM: HULK HOGAN BURIES EVERYONE

http://www.synchtube.com/r/sunsweet

WCW MONDAY NIGHT NITRO ONLY ON TNT

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Hmmm I might have to be in for this, if the big boys are playing...

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

triplexpac posted:

Hmmm I might have to be in for this, if the big boys are playing...

That was last night.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Whatever is on the synchtube right now is amazing - WCW - Nitro 01-08-96. Hogan and Macho Man vs. Flair and Anderson. Well, Benoit vs. "Das Wunderkind" before it is also pretty terrifying.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

TONIGHT AT 9 PM: HULK HOGAN BURIES EVERYONE

http://www.synchtube.com/r/sunsweet

WCW MONDAY NIGHT NITRO ONLY ON TNT

Yep, gonna get in on this.

Gonna be late but gonna get in

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Nilbop posted:

Yep, gonna get in on this.

Gonna be late but gonna get in

Very late, that was posted on Tuesday.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Random, but does anyone have the date for when Sting stopped talking? After he first appeared in his black and white facepaint for the first time?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Random, but does anyone have the date for when Sting stopped talking? After he first appeared in his black and white facepaint for the first time?

The last time he talked was his prematch promo at Fall Brawl 96.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

MassRayPer posted:

The last time he talked was his prematch promo at Fall Brawl 96.

I thought he had a post-FB96 promo where he had his back to the hard camera and basically did the whole "If you're still with me, we're cool, but the rest of you can go screw yourselves" thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Renaissance Spam posted:

I thought he had a post-FB96 promo where he had his back to the hard camera and basically did the whole "If you're still with me, we're cool, but the rest of you can go screw yourselves" thing.

Maybe... I thought he just walked out. I might be wrong.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Very late, that was posted on Tuesday.

That's what I get for posting at work.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

http://youtu.be/ZtTj7LnjKhU?t=2m14s

From the September 16 Nitro.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I believe he spoke one more time after reappearing in the white and black and beating down the fake Sting.

EDIT: Found it. October 21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ4cxshKslY

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 15, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

Maybe... I thought he just walked out. I might be wrong.

Don't you remember STING TURNING HIS BACK ON WCW?!?!?!?!?!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

tzirean posted:

I believe he spoke one more time after reappearing in the white and black and beating down the fake Sting.

EDIT: Found it. October 21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ4cxshKslY

This is it, perfect. Thanks!

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
There's a best of war games DVD coming out in June. It's hosted by dusty Rhodes. I'm so pumped. I wonder if it will include the 98 horsemen vs nwo. Because you know, someone was in that. Also the Henning turn was dumb as poo poo and totally pointless. Also, that someone should have been the enforcer of the horseman, not Henning.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It'll be good to have those really good two War Games on DVD.

And those really terrible war games on DVD too. I might actually but it. :)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The American Dream posted:

There's a best of war games DVD coming out in June. It's hosted by dusty Rhodes. I'm so pumped. I wonder if it will include the 98 horsemen vs nwo. Because you know, someone was in that. Also the Henning turn was dumb as poo poo and totally pointless. Also, that someone should have been the enforcer of the horseman, not Henning.

I loved that turn. I thought it was one of the best done rehashes of that angle, and got me totally into Flair going after Hennig that fall.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I felt like the nwo didn't need him. While a strong horsemen doing horsemen poo poo would have been what the nwo vs wcw feud needed. Make them the cool face tweeners against the nwo cool heels

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The American Dream posted:

I felt like the nwo didn't need him. While a strong horsemen doing horsemen poo poo would have been what the nwo vs wcw feud needed. Make them the cool face tweeners against the nwo cool heels

It didn't, but eh, maybe I'm easy to please. I also feel like it had the added benefit of making things feel that much more dire for WCW as we approached Sting vs Hogan, where Sting would vanquish the evil nWo.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

VogeGandire posted:

The story of how he got his release still makes me smile. It was running the long con to the nth degree, it was beautiful.

What's the story on this?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AsInHowe posted:

What's the story on this?

He was booked in a storyline where he was feuding with Sullivan and they did a worked shoot where he was "fired" for breaking kayfabe and saying "I respect you booker man" in their match. Pillman told Bischoff that no one would buy the angle unless he really got fired, and Bischoff who loved working the boys gave him an actual release.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

He was booked in a storyline where he was feuding with Sullivan and they did a worked shoot where he was "fired" for breaking kayfabe and saying "I respect you booker man" in their match. Pillman told Bischoff that no one would buy the angle unless he really got fired, and Bischoff who loved working the boys gave him an actual release.

And then he went to ECW to try and create a bidding war between the two companies. And Paul booked him as "the hottest free agent in wrestling" right? Then he crashed and busted up his feet bad.

Cameal
Sep 23, 2004
Dave Meltzer wrote this excellent piece about Brian Pillman several years ago, which I guess disappeared when F4W/WO merged a few years back that fortunately somebody archived.

http://www.hack-man.com/Wrestling/NewsArticles/200610xx-Meltzer-Pillman.html

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cameal posted:

Dave Meltzer wrote this excellent piece about Brian Pillman several years ago, which I guess disappeared when F4W/WO merged a few years back that fortunately somebody archived.

This is pretty much whywrestlingishorrible.txt and very amazing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cameal posted:

:staredog:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Wow. Just. Wow.

triple edit: I never ever got the whole wrestling a pencil thing, but now I do. Thanks Dave!

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 15, 2013

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'd argue it's about 70 percent whywrestlingishorrible.txt and 30 percent Brian Pillman's personality flaws, but yeah, it does show that even if you're King Worker, everyone gets worked by the business in the end. Everyone. And as said, the most tragic part is the families left in its wake. I once theorized that the perfect pro wrestler would have to be 1) A good worker and talker, 2) Possess a great capacity for enduring pain, and 3) Be a loner who was content to be a bizarre cross between a homeless drifter and a superstar athlete, and the sad story about his kids shows that 3 might be the most important one of all.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 15, 2013

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
What a depressing and fascinating read. A real pity that the thing that saved his career would ultimately be the thing that killed him. :smith:

Strange that all the segments from Brian Pillman that people remember as amazing never drew ratings. Like wrestling fans have an aversion to things that are objectively entertaining. Probably why they're wrestling fans in the first place.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

What a depressing and fascinating read. A real pity that the thing that saved his career would ultimately be the thing that killed him. :smith:

Strange that all the segments from Brian Pillman that people remember as amazing never drew ratings. Like wrestling fans have an aversion to things that are objectively entertaining. Probably why they're wrestling fans in the first place.

It isn't so surprising when "critically acclaimed" television shows tend to get cancelled due to low ratings.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That Pillman story is extremely fascinating and depressing. I did get a chuckle out of Joey Styles being disgusted at the "Loose Cannon" angle after Pillman took a poo poo on a living room floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

That Pillman story is extremely fascinating and depressing. I did get a chuckle out of Joey Styles being disgusted at the "Loose Cannon" angle after Pillman took a poo poo on a living room floor.

When you remember back to the Pillman DVD where Brian pulled Ross from the booth just to show him how big of a poo poo he took it really makes you wonder about Flyin' Brian.