Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Cenodoxus posted:

:iia:
So, how much did you offer them for it?

It's parked on top of the Scout now.

And yes, it's a Ferret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cenodoxus posted:

:iia:
So, how much did you offer them for it?

About tree fiddy...

thousand.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

trouser chili posted:

And yes, it's a Ferret.

They are actually "common" in private hands. They pop up on Ebay and the DuPont Registry fairly often. Saracen armored cars, too, which are cooler because they are 6x6.

Geirskogul posted:

About tree fiddy...

thousand.

I know you're joking, but I've seen them for $15,000-$25,000.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

trouser chili posted:

It's parked on top of the Scout now.

And yes, it's a Ferret.

You missed a big opportunity. I'd have bought it and driven it in (or into) a St. Patrick's Day parade. :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Gorilla Salad posted:

It reminds me of the Schwimmwagen. Like you should be able to drive it through rivers or something.

Theres something giggle worthy of a WW2 Nazi vehicle wearing American BFG tyres

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have no idea what's going on here, but i love it. :nws: ads. http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topic554310.html

Also awesome, miniyotas. :nws: ads http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topic551257.html

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

:stonk:

I want all those cars!

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Those brought the biggest smile to my face. I've been looking for a four door Nissan r34 model but everything is two doored.

I bet this guy could make me one... FOR A MILLION DOLLARS

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Holy poo poo those are models. I glanced by and just figured it was a perspective thing at first. That's pretty awesome.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Man, those are amazing. I can only assume that Где Супра? is Russian for "no supra?" which I found hilarious.

Also what on earth is #39 Конец

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

From this day on, I will never build a model car myself and be completely satisfied with it.

gently caress, those things are pretty!

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boat posted:

Man, those are amazing. I can only assume that Где Супра? is Russian for "no supra?" which I found hilarious.

Also what on earth is #39 Конец

Looks like some sort of Sports 800-based prototype.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Professor Bling posted:

Looks like some sort of Sports 800-based prototype.

That's right, basically

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2013/03/06/events-2013-nos2days-part-01/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

I have no idea what's going on here, but i love it. :nws: ads. http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topic554310.html

Google Translate tells me this is what I thought it was - a bunch of unrestored original race cars (hence actually worth more as a historic). Seems to be a exhibition of historic Eastern Bloc racers.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Obama arrived in Israel a few hours ago. Apparently the presidential limo parked at the airport wouldn't start because someone put diesel in it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Was it ever revealed what kind of fuel it used? Or did the Israelis just inadvertently leak that out?

I would have thought it would be a diesel, since it's based on a medium duty truck.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A new litter of young toyotas, with their proud parents in the background. :3:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112309

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Throatwarbler posted:

Was it ever revealed what kind of fuel it used? Or did the Israelis just inadvertently leak that out?

I would have thought it would be a diesel, since it's based on a medium duty truck.
:tinfoil: Maybe that's what they WANT you to think. :tinfoil:

It's probably an ethanol blend of some kind. Wasn't there some big government push to adopt flex fuel vehicles a few years ago?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Throatwarbler posted:

Should have used a multifuel turbine. Only the best for the POTUS

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Cenodoxus posted:

:tinfoil: Maybe that's what they WANT you to think. :tinfoil:

It's probably an ethanol blend of some kind. Wasn't there some big government push to adopt flex fuel vehicles a few years ago?

I'm pretty sure it's a diesel.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
There was an 8.1 gas option for the TopKick but I don't see why they'd use it for something that heavy.

Hilarious:

blk fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 20, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

blk posted:

There was an 8.1 gas option for the TopKick but I don't see why they'd use it for something that heavy.

:ninja: nothing to see here

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 21, 2013

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

blk posted:

Hilarious:

Did BMW buy all the extra Pontiac Aztec bodies?

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
Looks 10x better than the real X6. :shrug:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

j3rkstore posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112309

Is it just me or does Honda have a knack for making I4 engines really really tall?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Is it just me or does Honda have a knack for making I4 engines really really tall?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VanNuys posted:

Looks 10x better than the real X6. :shrug:

Ironically the 'shop is of an e23 7-series.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

MetaJew posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Why is the cam cover so tall? I can't imagine why it would need to stick up so high above the bolt faces.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

jammyozzy posted:

Why is the cam cover so tall? I can't imagine why it would need to stick up so high above the bolt faces.

isnt there essentially the equivalent of a second set of cams in there for the VTEC gubbins? I can see that adding some height

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Ferremit posted:

isnt there essentially the equivalent of a second set of cams in there for the VTEC gubbins? I can see that adding some height

No vtec just has an extra, more aggressive, cam lobe and an extra rocker for each set of valves (three lobes and three rockers per two valves). The aggressive lobe hits the third rocker which normally isn't connected to anything, but when vtec engages it locks all three rockers together so they all follow the aggressive lobe instead of the regular lobe. Like this picture shamelessly stolen from GIS:

It's still just two cams and it doesn't look much different from a normal setup.

EDIT: I should also clarify that there are actually two different vtec systems with different goals. The one described above is the performance vtec. Their mainstream cars also claim to have "vtec" but it's an emissions-oriented vtec that only has two lobes, not three. One valve is a normal lobe and one lobe is super mild that barely opens the valve at all, which helps swirl at low rpm. Then at higher rpm both rockers lock together and both valves follow the normal lobe.

lazer_chicken fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 21, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

blk posted:

Hilarious:

Looks vaguely like the AMC Eagle

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

lazer_chicken posted:

EDIT: I should also clarify that there are actually two different vtec systems with different goals. The one described above is the performance vtec. Their mainstream cars also claim to have "vtec" but it's an emissions-oriented vtec that only has two lobes, not three. One valve is a normal lobe and one lobe is super mild that barely opens the valve at all, which helps swirl at low rpm. Then at higher rpm both rockers lock together and both valves follow the normal lobe.

Does Honda do advance/retard of the cam timing by offsetting the cam in relation to the cam gears? I know at least Ford and Peugeot call it VCT and BMW obviously has VANOS, which all work by advancing and retarding intake and/or exhaust cam timing for a more even torque spread.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

KozmoNaut posted:

Does Honda do advance/retard of the cam timing by offsetting the cam in relation to the cam gears? I know at least Ford and Peugeot call it VCT and BMW obviously has VANOS, which all work by advancing and retarding intake and/or exhaust cam timing for a more even torque spread.

Yes, for the intake cam, but only on the newer system (called i-vtec) used on the K-series and newer engines. The old B and C engines with vtec don't do this.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

lazer_chicken posted:

No vtec just has an extra, more aggressive, cam lobe and an extra rocker for each set of valves (three lobes and three rockers per two valves). The aggressive lobe hits the third rocker which normally isn't connected to anything, but when vtec engages it locks all three rockers together so they all follow the aggressive lobe instead of the regular lobe. Like this picture shamelessly stolen from GIS:

It's still just two cams and it doesn't look much different from a normal setup.

How do the secondary and primary rocker arms deal with the stress from being lifted off the cam like that? In my machine design classes, cam-follower separation was taught as a very bad thing.

E: Probably by having it ease back during the dwell. Google hasn't shown any cases of cracked lobes or anything like that so I guess the impact isn't as bad as what normally happens during separation; the follower accelerating off during lift and crashing back down.

Neptr fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 21, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CommieGIR posted:

Looks vaguely like the AMC Eagle

Exactly what I saw, I actually think its a photoshopped picture of an Eagle.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
God YES!

edit: I guess these were from 2012 and I missed them...

That J-12 is cool, though.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 21, 2013

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Neptr posted:

How do the secondary and primary rocker arms deal with the stress from being lifted off the cam like that? In my machine design classes, cam-follower separation was taught as a very bad thing.

E: Probably by having it ease back during the dwell. Google hasn't shown any cases of cracked lobes or anything like that so I guess the impact isn't as bad as what normally happens during separation; the follower accelerating off during lift and crashing back down.

There's never any mechanical separation; out of vtec each rocker follows its cam independently, and when you hit vtac yo, the two outer rockers are mechanically bound to the middle rocker which is still following its cam. The outer rockers are always mechanically in contact with something, either the middle rocker, or their low profile cams.

The only way you could have separation is if the pin binding the middle rocker with the outer two is removed while all three were following the high profile lobe.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009
When VTEC is disengaged though, do the outer followers snap back down to their cam lobes? I think that is what he was asking.
I would imagine there is a mechanism by which they are not allowed to have the pin retract unless they are at the bottom of ther lobe so there isn't any snapback. Either by special oil control or friction with the pin during a lifted state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alphius posted:

When VTEC is disengaged though, do the outer followers snap back down to their cam lobes? I think that is what he was asking.
I would imagine there is a mechanism by which they are not allowed to have the pin retract unless they are at the bottom of ther lobe so there isn't any snapback. Either by special oil control or friction with the pin during a lifted state.

Well they are pushed back down by the valve spring tension, so I'm assuming they just return to position on the lower lobes like nothing happened.