Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Yeti Fiasco posted:

How much did you pay for it? That thing looks lush.

$900. Not one of those insane deals you read about where someone finds a 12" jointer for $20 but a very good price for a 2004 Powermatic 66 with the extension table. It's a got a 5hp/1ph Baldor motor so it'll last forever (and is honestly more saw than I need but hey). These were around $3k-ish new.

I'm renting a truck with a lift gate to move it 'cause it weighs around 600 lbs. I've got some help to unload (not enough to just pick it up tho') but I'm a little worried about getting it off the lift gate and into the garage. (and hopefully, I'll be able to move it into my newly constructed garage around late fall but the permit process in Austin is ridiculously convoluted and I'm going to be doing the majority of the construction myself on the weekend so it won't be a fast project).

I'm so excited, I really figured I wouldn't be able to get a saw like this for years.

ETA: Hey, anyone here have any experience moving something that heavy? Googling gets me different opinions (like appliance dollies, just walking it by the corners which seems like it might damage it). I'm thinking I may need to take off the extension so it's not so awkward but I don't want to disassemble it any further (like taking off the table). They make a mobile base for this saw I plan to get eventually but I don't have it yet.

Tora! Tora! Tora! fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

t_violet posted:

$900. Not one of those insane deals you read about where someone finds a 12" jointer for $20 but a very good price for a 2004 Powermatic 66 with the extension table. It's a got a 5hp/1ph Baldor motor so it'll last forever (and is honestly more saw than I need but hey). These were around $3k-ish new.

I'm renting a truck with a lift gate to move it 'cause it weighs around 600 lbs. I've got some help to unload (not enough to just pick it up tho') but I'm a little worried about getting it off the lift gate and into the garage. (and hopefully, I'll be able to move it into my newly constructed garage around late fall but the permit process in Austin is ridiculously convoluted and I'm going to be doing the majority of the construction myself on the weekend so it won't be a fast project).

I'm so excited, I really figured I wouldn't be able to get a saw like this for years.

ETA: Hey, anyone here have any experience moving something that heavy? Googling gets me different opinions (like appliance dollies, just walking it by the corners which seems like it might damage it). I'm thinking I may need to take off the extension so it's not so awkward but I don't want to disassemble it any further (like taking off the table). They make a mobile base for this saw I plan to get eventually but I don't have it yet.

I'd say take the extension table off since that'll make it both lighter and easier to handle. Taking the table off might be a good idea if it isn't too invasive- if it's cast iron, that's going to be a large portion of the weight. You could put the table parts on a furniture dolly pretty easily. Past that the lift gate is a great idea and takes care of most of the problem. As for getting the saw on and off the lift gate and into your garage, your best bet is lots of people. Just get like 4-6 dudes and the job will take 10 minutes. Ask friends, neighbors, whoever. If that is for some reason totally impossible I'd get some of those slick plastic saucers, put them under the feet/corners, and muscle it a little at a time.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Stripping it as far as possible will help and getting everything back to square isn't a big deal. Since you're moving it anyway its possible that things will get out of square and its good practice to redo it anyways.

Just get a dial indicator if you don't already have one.

Oh yeah and it'll be a bitch if you don't have any help loading.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't know where to post this but tools in general seems close enough. Time to get organized!

Gonna be legittttttt

I acquired them through a couple contacts via what was effectively an estate clear-out type operation. I didn't know what to offer and the guy didn't know what to charge, but after some googling it's looking like I got an excellent deal. They're akro-mils, got the whole thing for $50. The backside is also covered in hooks as well if I decide I want to get more bins for it. :woop:

I spent the entire day going through the random piles and boxes of stuff in my garage, filtering them into the bins. I think I need to find some inventory software. :v:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 25, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cross-posting from Cycle Asylum...if you have a good-sized air compressor, I highly recommend anyone in here who likes to purchase, maintain and restore old tools or machinery (that'd be everyone, I imagine) pick up a little siphon gun and a sack of blasting soda. I did today to try cleaning the oil and grease off my motorcycle engine and lookie:

And it's non-toxic! And water-soluble! I'm never cleaning things the old-fashioned way again!

e: oh and I guess I should also review that Makita LXT239 Impact Driver + Hammer Drill set I got a while back. Verdict: A+ would buy again. No super fancy gimmicky features, just a nice powerful drill and driver. Both are lightweight and quiet, but feel very solid. The brushless motor has a little bit more electronic/musical sound to it than a brushed motor, which is interesting. The impact driver is quite powerful, and I used it to disassemble the engine above; I only had to break out the air-powered rattle gun for five bolts in total, one on the end of the crankshaft (duh) and four that hold the entire case together (duh). Everything else the Makita zipped off in no time. If you're doing woodwork instead of engine assembly, fuhgedaboutit -- it will happily crush through 2x4s and snap the heads off cheap screws in seconds. Great tool!

e2: also I haven't even had to recharge it once yet

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 25, 2013

Daggerpants
Aug 31, 2004

I am Kara Zor-El, the last daughter of Krypton
Still looking for a table saw in my area: Is this a decent deal? http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/3699524048.html

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Daggerpants posted:

Still looking for a table saw in my area: Is this a decent deal? http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/3699524048.html

Seems high to me but I'm no expert on Craftsman saws. I believe these are the same as the Rigid saws and may have the same alignment issues. I'm always wary of new looking Rigid/Craftsman saws for that reason.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Daggerpants posted:

If I were you I'd go for something like this: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/3698690535.html
I own a similar model from the 100 series and it's a really solid saw. Plus there's tons of parts/wings/fences for it on Ebay. If you don't mind doing a bit of cleaning on it, it's a good deal.

Daggerpants
Aug 31, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

If I were you I'd go for something like this: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/3698690535.html
I own a similar model from the 100 series and it's a really solid saw. Plus there's tons of parts/wings/fences for it on Ebay. If you don't mind doing a bit of cleaning on it, it's a good deal.

I emailed with the seller and asked him to try and switch the saw on, he said the motor makes noise but the pulley doesn't turn. Am I going to have a hard time trying to find a replacement motor? I'm not really seeing a plethora of parts on ebay.

Daggerpants fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 27, 2013

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Daggerpants posted:

I emailed with the seller and asked him to try and switch the saw on, he said the motor makes noise but the pulley doesn't turn. Am I going to have a hard time trying to find a replacement motor? I'm not really seeing a plethora of parts on ebay.

Any motor should be fine. It's an 8" saw, a 1hp motor should be plenty. Looks like a fun little saw to own but I don't know if I'd want it for my only tablesaw unless I exclusively made small projects.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
There was some talk of Ridgid warranty stuff on the last page. My one handed sawsall quit working last week and I checked the motor brushes. One of them is worn down to almost nothing, while the other is plenty long. Google tells me that uneven wear is just from uneven spring tension, so there shouldn't be any issues with the saw itself. I put in a support ticket on their website and they are sending me a set of brushes for free under the lifetime warranty. Should be here in a week or so.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

iForge posted:

There was some talk of Ridgid warranty stuff on the last page. My one handed sawsall quit working last week and I checked the motor brushes. One of them is worn down to almost nothing, while the other is plenty long. Google tells me that uneven wear is just from uneven spring tension, so there shouldn't be any issues with the saw itself. I put in a support ticket on their website and they are sending me a set of brushes for free under the lifetime warranty. Should be here in a week or so.

Did you register your tool beforehand?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Did you register your tool beforehand?

I registered it a day or two after I bought it, but it took a solid 2 months for it to show up on my "dashboard" on their site.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Stand is finished for the Craftsman lathe and motor is wired. On the first run up vibration was minimal.

Edit: pics and vid

http://youtu.be/VrlOC5ZaAyw

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 30, 2013

Daggerpants
Aug 31, 2004

What's the word on Jet table saws?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/3723742286.html

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

I will munch on your endocrine system
I've been looking at buying a dremel for a while, for cutting odd shaped holes in rigid plastic. I was thinking of getting their flexi shaft so I have a bit more control over the cutter for fine detail.

Is a dremel actually a good tool?
Does the flexible shaft really work? I read somewhere that you have to be careful about the orientation of the shaft for internal lubrication, which kind of defeats the purpose for me. I install aftermarket electronics in tractors, and I often need to cut holes in very difficult to reach, confined spaces.

I also just came across proxxon tools, and they have a rotary tool similar to dremel's one. Anyone got any experience with it?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

JimbobDobalina posted:

My Dremel is 10 years old or so, I don't use it much but it's a well made tool.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

JimbobDobalina posted:

I've been looking at buying a dremel for a while, for cutting odd shaped holes in rigid plastic. I was thinking of getting their flexi shaft so I have a bit more control over the cutter for fine detail.

Does the flexible shaft really work? I read somewhere that you have to be careful about the orientation of the shaft for internal lubrication, which kind of defeats the purpose for me. I install aftermarket electronics in tractors, and I often need to cut holes in very difficult to reach, confined spaces.

I also just came across proxxon tools, and they have a rotary tool similar to dremel's one. Anyone got any experience with it?

Yes Dremel makes good stuff. Proxxon looks decent too but I don't see reason to deviate from Dremel. They invented the tool and know what they're doing. The only Dremel alternative I'd consider would be the cordless M12 milwaukee (I have one of these) if you're interested in other m12 tools. But it doesn't sound like you want cordless.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JimbobDobalina posted:

I have one with the flexi shaft, and its handled everything I have asked it to do, which admittedly isnt much, but it engraved/routed jarrah much easier than what I figured it would.

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

I will munch on your endocrine system

Frogmanv2 posted:

I have one with the flexi shaft, and its handled everything I have asked it to do, which admittedly isnt much, but it engraved/routed jarrah much easier than what I figured it would.

Do you have to do anything special when using the flexi shaft? I'd like to be able to put the dremel tool itself on the floor and run the shaft up about 2 feet where I'll be cutting plastic. How flexible is it? Can it go round a couple of bends, and still run at full rpm?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Note that McMaster carries an entire selection of rotary tools and bits. They have a massive selection of bits:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#dremel-compatible-tool-bits/=mayg5z

Also I see they have some more industrial-like bench tools with flexible shafts. I assume there are more of these types out there in the market if you really wanted something more robust than a dremel brand one:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2609/=maydyi

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm rather sad that heleta (the company I buy all my welding abrasives from) stopped carrying standard 1/4" shank carbide die grinder bits, they had some amazing prices. Everyone else I can find is literally selling for double or triple the price.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The flex shaft will overheat if you coil it too tightly because it will rub on the sheathing, that's what the warnings are about. You can tell if it's doing it just by regularly running your hand along bent areas looking for hotspots. I would not expect to get better than maybe an 8"-diameter 360 from it, but empirical testing is the way to go here.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JimbobDobalina posted:

Do you have to do anything special when using the flexi shaft? I'd like to be able to put the dremel tool itself on the floor and run the shaft up about 2 feet where I'll be cutting plastic. How flexible is it? Can it go round a couple of bends, and still run at full rpm?

It doesn't take all the attachments that the regular head can take, mainly because its missing the thread around the neck, so things like the plunge router tool won't work. I havent tried to coil it up like you are talking.

BoyMeetsWorld
Aug 31, 2006
I'm almost finished putting together my first at-home project, a storage bench. I realized toward the end that all the drilling and screwing I was doing could have been made a lot easier with an air powered nail gun. What I'd like is a cordless 18v 18 gauge brad nailer (I dont want to spend a lot and already have the batteries). Will brads offer me the durability and strength to make say, another bench, trunk, or a bookshelf?

I've used nail guns before but I can't quite remember if they were specifically using brads or not.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BoyMeetsWorld posted:

Will brads offer me the durability and strength to make say, another bench, trunk, or a bookshelf?

Alone? No.
With glue? Yes, contingent on mechanical joinery. Basically they would be acting as clamps until the glue dries.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I want a rotary tool to help make scales for straight razors. I don't however, want to spend as much as a Dremel costs. Are there any decent lower-cost options?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have a ryobi that has worked fine so far. Mostly just use it for cutting holes in drywall, though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

TopherCStone posted:

make scales for straight razors

I had to look that up. If anyone else is wondering, "scales" in this context are the outer pieces of a straight razor's handle/case.

BoyMeetsWorld
Aug 31, 2006

wormil posted:

Alone? No.
With glue? Yes, contingent on mechanical joinery. Basically they would be acting as clamps until the glue dries.

So you'd recommend I'd use glue, brads, and also mechanical joinery (like biscuits or finger joints?)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BoyMeetsWorld posted:

So you'd recommend I'd use glue, brads, and also mechanical joinery (like biscuits or finger joints?)

Basically yes although there are other options for joinery such as dadoes, rabbets, dovetails, etc. Norm Abram was known for his brad nail & glue joinery, at least in the early years of the show.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

BoyMeetsWorld posted:

Also note that biscuits dont add strength; theyre just used for alignment

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Splizwarf posted:

I had to look that up. If anyone else is wondering, "scales" in this context are the outer pieces of a straight razor's handle/case.

Oh, yeah sorry. I've been reading up on the shaving forums all day so I forgot that's not a common term. Basically it's wood, micarta, acrylic, etc material about 1/8" (little over 3mm) thickness. I'd use it to bevel the edges and do sanding (especially to clean up the edges after I cut them out), maybe drilling if I can make it stay steady.

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 16, 2013

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TopherCStone posted:

I want a rotary tool to help make scales for straight razors. I don't however, want to spend as much as a Dremel costs. Are there any decent lower-cost options?

Yes, there are. Get a Dremel off Craigslist. Hell, do you know anybody that's dying soon? I swear I've seen a Dremel at every single estate sale that I've ever been to, with tons of bits and attachments. It's a very popular tool and has been standard for so long now that every old fart guy owns one. I would imagine that you would have to wake up extra early to beat the other old farts to the sale.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I have to seriously recommend the Milwaukee 18 volt Hackzall to anyone who already has Milwaukee 18v stuff/needs a loving awesome one handed cordless saw. This thing is a loving beast. I picked it up to go with my drill/driver set and finally got to put it to serious work this week. It cuts like a dream and has great battery life compared to other battery saws that I have owned/used. I love the drill-like grip on it. I've been cutting allthread and lots of 3/4 and 1 inch conduit with it and cannot be happier. It is super quiet too which is nice. It costs $100 for just the tool and somewhere between $175-$200 for the tool with battery and charger.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Yes, there are. Get a Dremel off Craigslist. Hell, do you know anybody that's dying soon? I swear I've seen a Dremel at every single estate sale that I've ever been to, with tons of bits and attachments. It's a very popular tool and has been standard for so long now that every old fart guy owns one. I would imagine that you would have to wake up extra early to beat the other old farts to the sale.

The only person I know who's likely to even have a dremel is my uncle, and even if he were to die tomorrow his kids would descend on his place and strip it bare of every fun power tool and car husk.
I'll check craigslist though for sure!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TopherCStone posted:

The only person I know who's likely to even have a dremel is my uncle, and even if he were to die tomorrow his kids would descend on his place and strip it bare of every fun power tool and car husk.
I'll check craigslist though for sure!

Definitely do that. For some reason, the typical old fart handymen that cut corners like nipping the 3rd prong off of every plug always take immaculate care of their Dremels.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

iForge posted:

I have to seriously recommend the Milwaukee 18 volt Hackzall to anyone who already has Milwaukee 18v stuff/needs a loving awesome one handed cordless saw. This thing is a loving beast. I picked it up to go with my drill/driver set and finally got to put it to serious work this week. It cuts like a dream and has great battery life compared to other battery saws that I have owned/used. I love the drill-like grip on it. I've been cutting allthread and lots of 3/4 and 1 inch conduit with it and cannot be happier. It is super quiet too which is nice. It costs $100 for just the tool and somewhere between $175-$200 for the tool with battery and charger.

I can second this. I've had it about 6 monthes and its gotten a ton of use. The best part is the one handed balance. I've made a few 2x4 projects and you just hold the 2x4 in one hand and the saw in the other to make the cut. No set up, saw horses or prep. The circular gets far less use because comparatively this is so easy, perhaps less precise, but so easy.

As another random aside (and because im a big milwaukee fan) the cordless M18 wet/dry is another surprise. I use that thing constantly too both in the shop and around the house. So does my girlfriend. It can kill the smaller battery in about 10 minutes but it rivals a plug in for power. Vacuums are something you want to encourage yourself to use and it turns out cordless is perfect for that.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

TopherCStone posted:

I have a black and decker that i bought expecting to get a couple uses out of, ten years ago. Only three speeds instead of the variable control and i think some of the dremels turn faster, but it takes the same size tools and works like a champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

poo poo just got real, I ordered a new bandsaw. :woop: