Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The "babies are stupid" story was in "The Onion's Finest News Reporting", which was one of their first books, if not their first book altogether. I can understand why they pulled that "bear rapes man" story somebody posted above, but this one was pretty good satire.

Zugzwang has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Zugzwang posted:

The "babies are stupid" story was in "The Onion's Finest News Reporting", which was one of their first books, if not their first book altogether. I can understand why they pulled that "bear rapes man" story somebody posted above, but this one was pretty good satire.

It's perfect satire because it's true; human babies really are exceptionally stupid, and it's one of the things that makes us human. This is why The Onion is the best at what it does.

That said, I still really enjoy the completely ridiculous articles: Man Has Trouble Growing Full Beard of Bees

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Man Cautiously Avoids Barnes & Noble Section Where Teens Check Out Graphic Novels, if only because someone on the Onion really likes Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. Not the first time a 30-something dude had trouble reading Swamp Thing. Or the first time Swamp Thing has been venerated.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

Did you know that The Onion has actually pulled an article from their archives?

Black Bear Attacks, Rapes, Zookeeper:

Why the hell?

This is one poo poo of a coincidence but just the other day I cracked up in a meeting when I randomly remembered the phrase 'putrid ursine semen'. This is easily in my top five Onions.

Supreme Allah has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Mar 26, 2013

sports
Sep 1, 2012
http://www.theonion.com/articles/divorced-father-buys-string-cheese-to-make-coming,31791/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Crisis Averted When Tennessee Lawmakers Discover Muslim Foot Bath Is Actually Just a Mop Sink

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It took me 5 minutes after I read the entire article before I realized it wasn't The Onion.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

God drat it. It's practically written like an Onion article up until they pull out the AP source. :ughh:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Supreme Court On Gay Marriage: 'Sure, Who Cares'
The saddest Onion articles are the ones where I would kill any one of you to make them come true, and I would be more than happy to die myself to achieve that end.

Like this one about Obama, or this one they did on the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
To mark today's SCOTUS cases regarding same-sex marriage, I thought this was worth posting:

I Get To Determine Whether Gay People Can Marry (by Clarence Thomas)

quote:

I've spoken maybe two times in the past decade, for Christ’s sake. Think about that. That’s hundreds and hundreds of cases during which I've sat silently and twiddled my thumbs as my colleagues actively interrogated lawyers and posed tough questions about the scope and applications of laws—cases to which I barely paid attention, sometimes appearing to nap on the bench. And I get to have a say in deciding on a constitutional level whether or not all adult members of the human race have the right to recognize their unions? That historic judgment falls on my shoulders?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I Feel Very Strongly About The Issue Of Same Sex Marriage Because I Have A Gay Son

by God

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Sometimes I read a few really boring Onion articles in a row and start to think maybe they've lost their touch. Then they post something like the one Jerry just posted and prove that they're still the leading force out there in powerful, relevant satire.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Stars Of Canceled Show Terrified Fans Will Raise Money For Movie

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Kim Jong Un comes out in support of gay marriage

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Sometimes I read a few really boring Onion articles in a row and start to think maybe they've lost their touch. Then they post something like the one Jerry just posted and prove that they're still the leading force out there in powerful, relevant satire.
The five days or so before this were pretty "meh." It's clear they were saving their A-game for today.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PAY ATTENTION, JEANKETEERS!

My reactions while reading this were a mixture of hilarity and pain :gonk:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Zugzwang posted:

I think they got rid of a lot of pre-2000 articles a while ago. I don't know why, but I do know that I haven't been able to find "Area Bassist Fellated" since at least 2007.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A lot of those articles have ended up in books, so maybe they're trying to make that look like a little better deal.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Supreme Court On Gay Marriage: 'Sure, Who Cares'
The saddest Onion articles are the ones where I would kill any one of you to make them come true, and I would be more than happy to die myself to achieve that end.

Like this one about Obama, or this one they did on the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

The Onion posted:

Following the last of many toasts, attendees gathered in the Freedom Tower's Dick Cheney Memorial Auditorium to watch journalist Daniel Pearl's special retrospective on the successful 2002 prosecution of all known terror suspects through fair and legal trials. Former president Bush concluded the ceremony with a few short words.

"To think, what could have been merely a grim, pathetic reminder of our own pain and subsequent failure has instead been reclaimed by this great nation as a reminder of our success, our resiliency, and our core American values of decency and love," said Bush, who departed later that night for a climate change conference in China. "Thank God we had the courage, intelligence, and foresight to react the way we did after the worst day in American history."

Haha, Hot drat this is gold, on a similar note: Ten years later Cheney Haunted By People He Didn't Manage To Kill In Iraq War

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Fourth-Graders' Button-Making-Machine Privileges Suspended Indefinitely

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

"I'm not a monster." :unsmigghh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

code:
DOG BALLS
I'm a total Jeankateer by the way, I have no idea why I like her column so much but I do.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

:nws:Robert Mapplethorpe Children's Museum Celebrates Grand Opening:nws:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Might want to mark that NSFW.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Supreme Court Justices Brought To Tears By Heartfelt Testimony Of Bigot Who Hates Gay People

Yes indeed, the arguments being used by the anti-marriage equality attorney are really, really, truly embarrassingly terrible.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Report: It Pretty Incredible That Americans Entrusted With Driving Cars

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
:allears:

Arguments For And Against Same-Sex Marriage

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

quote:

Everything on registry too expensive

I'll go along with that one.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Onion Once Again Condemns Actor Eric Bana For His Continued Silence On The Issue Of Gay Marriage

:allears:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
No one is safe from the Onion. Not even Hollywood actor Eric Bana.

The last sentence is great.

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FOILED AGAIN :argh:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
I was reading this thread to have some laughs during lunch and now I am blinking away tears and hoping my coworkers haven't noticed. I can't even bring myself to share the article with anyone to explain why I suddenly feel depressed because they would feel equally depressed.

gently caress you and gently caress the Onion. :smith:

LogicNinja has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Mar 28, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I'm a total Jeankateer by the way, I have no idea why I like her column so much but I do.

Same. I have no idea why, but back when it was easy to find all of one character's commentaries by clicking the author's name, I'd read hers and Anchowers beginning to end every couple months when I got bored at work.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I think they got rid of a lot of pre-2000 articles a while ago. I don't know why, but I do know that I haven't been able to find "Area Bassist Fellated" since at least 2007.

I just saw it linked under the 'More' section from the Eric Bana article: http://www.theonion.com/audio/area-bassist-fellated,30733/

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

One of my favorite infographics was from a few years ago about Hockey's New Rules, which came out after the last lockout. It's still kinda on the site but all it shows now is a giant NHL logo.

All I really remember is: "Penalty box camera to add 20 menacing pounds."

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Jet Jaguar posted:

One of my favorite infographics was from a few years ago about Hockey's New Rules, which came out after the last lockout. It's still kinda on the site but all it shows now is a giant NHL logo.

All I really remember is: "Penalty box camera to add 20 menacing pounds."

"Mark Messier to be transformed into constellation and cast into the heavens, where his unblinking and fearful countenance shall keep watch over hockey for all time."

E: Oh my god I saved it back in 2005 and still have it on my computer.

All on Black has a new favorite as of 04:37 on Mar 29, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Mississippi Bans Soft Drinks Smaller Than 20 Ounces

And their obesity rate broke 50% at long last.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Taylor Swift Now Dating Senator Joseph McCarthy

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Holy poo poo. Fallen Firefighter Remembered As Idiot Who Sucked At His Job

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fallen-firefighter-remembered-as-idiot-who-sucked,31862/

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
:love: Today Now!

Finance Expert Saves Struggling Zoo By Firing All Employees, Getting Rid of Cages

The "finance expert" is a perfect living version of the 80s businessman in Futurama.

EDIT: "If you want the rest of this week's news, be at dock 7 in Seaside Heights at 8 PM with $16,000. Come alone."

Lysidas has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Mar 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Diamond Joe's official biography! The President of Vice.