Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The main thing is that it often takes a while for the first three or four players to join before you reach that critical threshold and everyone piles in. Frustrating if you only want to spend the time for one or two games, but if you can spare the extra five or ten minutes, seeding a server usually seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
You can always fire up the game and join the server and alt-tab and do something else for a little bit. I do that sometimes when I get home from work and need to do other RL stuff. When I come back it's usually full enough to restart the round and get a real game going, then it stays full until like 1am.

Also I think I'm going to take off NS2Stats and the Icons mod so people with filter modded on will be able to see it, maybe that's why it's not always populated.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 27, 2013

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

It was more a 'I have never seen anyone on here at any major time of day, something might be wrong..' than a 'why is no one on here :qq:', thanks for the suggestion.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheMostFrench posted:

It was more a 'I have never seen anyone on here at any major time of day, something might be wrong..' than a 'why is no one on here :qq:', thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah it is empty like 90% of the day and is frequently down for long periods, it isn't your fault, NS2 just needs more players.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
NS2 stats draws from such a small pool that the results are usually irrelevant anyway, In comparison to the stats tracking UWE does across all games played.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

DelphiAegis posted:

Part of this is getting to know servers. I know servers like Tactical Gamer have the slot system, and at least give a message about why you were insta-kicked, rather than the old NS1 style of "gently caress you for trying to connect, rear end in a top hat".

Tactical Gamer (at least one of their servers) has it set at a ridiculously low number like 17/24. So drat annoying.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Cyks posted:

Tactical Gamer (at least one of their servers) has it set at a ridiculously low number like 17/24. So drat annoying.

Blame UWE for not implementing reserve slots themselves, and not even supporting them by not allowing kick messages or lying about server size to the browser.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I am idling in the server. Waiting on you goons to join.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

Blame UWE for not implementing reserve slots themselves, and not even supporting them by not allowing kick messages or lying about server size to the browser.

Well, don't blame them. They've been working hard to improve the game, and there's many thing they'd like to implement but haven't yet. Just bring up the idea on their forums and if they see your point they can implement it in a later patch.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a few of us seeding NSgoons right now. Get on peeps.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

AgentF posted:

Well, don't blame them. They've been working hard to improve the game, and there's many thing they'd like to implement but haven't yet. Just bring up the idea on their forums and if they see your point they can implement it in a later patch.

It was the same deal in NS1, they know about the need for it. I don't blame them though, I still can't figure out how they made the whole drat thing with such a tiny team

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Bout 4 people on NS2Goons atm, lets get it populated.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 29, 2013

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I took the mods off of the goon server so it will show up on more people's lists. Maybe it will be more populated now.

ZombieSupaStar
Mar 30, 2007

I've put about 50 hours into NS2 now, and while the game is fun, I just keep wishing it was more NS1 (HD) than a new Natural Selection...

I wish aliens had Acid Rocket, Webs, Primal Scream, Focus, Scent of Fear, Gorges that actually had a more important role instead of the one they have in ns2. And I wish the marines had HMG and HA instead of the exos (exos are cool but I miss HMGS, and the flamethrower sucks). Also the jetpacks feel like controlling a refrigerator compared to the ns1 jetpacks. The graphics in ns2 are nice, and I like the dynamic infestation / power node setup but most of the other changes aren't for the better to me.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Au contraire. Flamethrowers are very important for preventing spores and sapping the energy of skirmishing aliens. In terms of fun, flying around with a jetpack and flamethrower can quickly de-cyst the whole map and make the alien commander quit in rage.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

AgentF posted:

Au contraire. Flamethrowers are very important for preventing spores and sapping the energy of skirmishing aliens. In terms of fun, flying around with a jetpack and flamethrower can quickly de-cyst the whole map and make the alien commander quit in rage.

This is pretty fun. Especially with the move speed you can sneak in close to an Alien base and de-cyst away from it. By the time they realize what you're doing you're within sight of safety again and half the map is clearing of infestation.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree with some of what you said, especially regarding abilities. I miss web too. But I totally disagree with gorges not being important. Sure in NS1 they were basically the alien comm since they were the only ones who could build anything but their role isnt really that diminished in NS2. You still need a gorge for a proper hive drop, bile bomb is a game ender, and if you dont have a gorge to block off a choke point when marines and aliens spawn in tech points right next to each other you might as well concede.

Plus onos are useless without gorges.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Garfu posted:

Also I think I'm going to take off NS2Stats and the Icons mod so people with filter modded on will be able to see it, maybe that's why it's not always populated.

Seems there's a version of NS2Stats that doesn't flag the server: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2088664/#Comment_2088664

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
It does seem like framerate is a bit better in this build, although I probably need to play some more to be sure.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

DelphiAegis posted:

I wish Vortex were used and known about more, too. Every time it comes up, someone asks if it works on armslabs, and I have to repeat that it does not. It apparently used to, but was overpowered as hell, I think. Most people in the late game go onos or gorge though, it seems.

Honestly, it's weird exceptions like this that make me not want to use Vortex. I understand it's good, and I understand the exceptions exist because they're op, but it just makes the skill rather cumbersome to use.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
New patch live on Steam! Lots of interesting changes.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I would gladly waste 40 rez on an upgrade that does nothing but give my marines the ability to moonwalk.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

ChickenHeart posted:

I would gladly waste 40 rez on an upgrade that does nothing but give my marines the ability to moonwalk.

I would only support this if it changed all marines so that their models were always moonwalking backwards and fired over their shoulders without looking.

And it drat well better apply to Exos too.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
aww, now I just wish there was an actual patch. I thought they might be re-adding electrified buildings or scent of fear or something. gently caress PREDICTABLE HUMOUR.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I hate april first.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ChickenHeart posted:

Similarly,

quote:

Bees now properly defend the Hive

I would research the heck out of this.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
These all sound awesome and considering the (supposedly?) easily moddable nature of the game will become reality one amazing day in the future. :allears:

GenericOverusedName posted:

I hate april first.
Thanks, garfield.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

The Stun Gun could be legitimately useful. Imagine you and a buddy are being chased down a corridor by a rampaging Onos. You just spent your last remaining res to buy a Shotgun and a Jetpack so you really don't want to die. Not a problem! Just use the Stun Gun on your buddy and you'll be able to escape while he's torn to bits by the Onos.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
Calling for people to get on NS2Goons.

E: Hey supernorn can you put the steam group NS2Goons in the OP?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2goons

I post announcements to try and seed servers from there

Lucky Samurai fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 2, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm loving this game, don't understand why it isn't more popular but anyway. Are there any good guides for the classes? Gorge in particular I'm terrible with and don't really know what to do.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, the numbers get pretty low during the week. I'm worried about people just not playing it that much. It is one of my favorite online games too, such a bummer. KEEP PLAYING THE GAME!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Yeah, even this thread's lack of activity worries me. KEEP PLAYING THE GAME!

Can you use your mod powers to flood the Games subform with NS2 ads as wallpaper background?

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I just got done with a series of games, the most silly of which came on the heels of two rush victories for the marines on Summit. At the end of the second game, someone started sarcastically bitching about the lack of welders on voice chat. "How am I supposed to do anything without a welder?" he cried. Other people got in on the antics and went to town praising the versatility and effectiveness of welders ("Is there anything my welder can'tdo?") once they were researched. Once the third game started, the only thing our commander researched were welders, armor upgrades, jetpacks, and MACs. About half the team began throwing their LMGs and pistols on the ground when they spawned, attacking only with welders. We had the aliens locked down the whole time and slowly wore them down until we finally got some ARCs and shotguns, getting the victory a couple minutes later. There's nothing quite like watching a pack of 6 marines fly around chasing a lerk with welders for several minutes and then chasing it all the way back to the hive.

I don't know what the aliens were doing, but they were good sports about it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Last time I tried to get on NS2Goons it was full. Stop playing there please.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm loving this game, don't understand why it isn't more popular but anyway. Are there any good guides for the classes? Gorge in particular I'm terrible with and don't really know what to do.

My advice is to ask your Commander where he could use a Gorge the most. There are a lot of roles you could end up taking on, like healing an Onos or defending a room or even using your Bile Bomb to destroy an enemy base. Your Commander will know where your talents will be best put to use.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Just saw probably one of the worst cases of team stacking. Everyone stacks rines, the alien team notices and half quit to the ready room. So we have half of the alien team which refuses to start the game and the other half trying to get on the "winning" team. This wouldn't be too bad if it didn't last for 20 minutes. These people literally care more about winning than having fun or even playing the game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Being on the other side of team stacking quite frequently makes the game no fun at all to play. I just quit and join another server when that happens.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah, when there's an obvious team stack just leave. Maybe say why you're leaving. Unless you really like the spawn animation it's never fun playing against a stacked side.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah, even this thread's lack of activity worries me. KEEP PLAYING THE GAME!

Can you use your mod powers to flood the Games subform with NS2 ads as wallpaper background?

I gave away 50 copies of the game, we should all be playing it by now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dyz posted:

Just saw probably one of the worst cases of team stacking. Everyone stacks rines, the alien team notices and half quit to the ready room. So we have half of the alien team which refuses to start the game and the other half trying to get on the "winning" team. This wouldn't be too bad if it didn't last for 20 minutes. These people literally care more about winning than having fun or even playing the game.

Yeah, if you can, stick to servers that have a 'Random' vote system that forces everyone to go random at the beginning of the round.

• Locked thread