Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Syano posted:

What's everyone using for an archiving app?

GWAVA Retain. Don't use it. I'm pretty sure it's not SOX compliant. The only reason we have it is from carryover from our Groupwise environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
GFI MailArchiver. It's fine, and dirt-loving-cheap.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Frozen-Solid posted:

We're relatively tiny. 75 mailboxes, total mailbox DB size is 25 GB. The minimum for a single server with all 4 roles was 10 GB, which is what I gave the VM to start with. My original sizing estimates based on Microsoft's guides were 8-12 GB. We're not using Unified Messaging, so 2 GB for each role + 2 GB cache made 8 GB. The consulting company we hire insisted we absolutely couldn't make an Exchange server without 16 GB of memory which seems ridiculous to me.

Since we're at 8.3/10GB right now, I'm not sure what actual % I should expect, or how I would tell if I SHOULD give it another few gigs. I obviously don't want to over allocate, since it's a VM and if it doesn't need it, it's not going to get it.

10 GB is more than plenty for your environment. I have one client environment with 150 mailboxes and about a 100 GB database running on a single 8 GB server without issue. I would keep an eye on the event logs but wouldn't concern myself with that at all.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Syano posted:

Enterprise Vault. Expensive. Works.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Syano posted:

GFI MailArchiver 2012 SR2, 300 mailboxes and with support for 5 years it was $4,500.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

madsushi posted:

10 GB is more than plenty for your environment. I have one client environment with 150 mailboxes and about a 100 GB database running on a single 8 GB server without issue. I would keep an eye on the event logs but wouldn't concern myself with that at all.

I run an exchange 2010 vm with a single database hosting about 370 mailboxes and the database is around 250GB. Its a single server install with all roles on 1 vm and it only has 8gb of ram and it runs fantastic. In fact it rarely uses all the ram it has assigned to it. Really Exchange has become wonderful over the years at resource usage.

As to the mail archive question I posed, I see a lot of people answering GFI. This is where we are leaning, its so darn cheap

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone have any experiencing with the GFI Mail Archiver plugin for Outlook? How well does it work and how much of a pain is it to setup? Want to be able to archive emails automatically and then allow users to view them in Outlook without any trouble.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I quite like Exchange 2010's built in archiving feature (with premium CAL's). Avoids having to support an extra product and seems to work well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'd like to go that route, but none of our customers are going to go for Office Pro Plus which means they'll have to view archived email via OWA. Not a huge selling point and most won't care for that.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Misogynist posted:

Enterprise Vault. Expensive. Works.

We dumped it because it works like poo poo. We're using Exchange's built-in archiving now, since we already had the licensing.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone have any experiencing with the GFI Mail Archiver plugin for Outlook? How well does it work and how much of a pain is it to setup? Want to be able to archive emails automatically and then allow users to view them in Outlook without any trouble.

Last time I tried it, you had to muck with registry keys to make it useful. By default it pulls down headers for a pitifully small window, and polls the MARC server like crazy - but if you adjust those keys, it's okay I guess. I just trained my users to use the web interface since the search it has is better than Outlook's anyway.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Jeoh posted:

We dumped it because it works like poo poo. We're using Exchange's built-in archiving now, since we already had the licensing.
It depends on what you're doing. Archiving works well enough if you're looking to just keep your mailbox sizes small -- which is already not really a big concern in 2010's stores -- but it gives you basically nothing for e-discovery and compliance.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Internet Explorer posted:

We have it installed, it automatically adds the GFI archive for the user as an additional mailbox inside outlook and lets you search just within the archive or search both your exchange account and the archive for the user.

The downside is you can't view more than one user with the outlook add-on like you can with the web interface

Mierdaan posted:

Last time I tried it, you had to muck with registry keys to make it useful. By default it pulls down headers for a pitifully small window, and polls the MARC server like crazy - but if you adjust those keys, it's okay I guess. I just trained my users to use the web interface since the search it has is better than Outlook's anyway.

You can adjust these settings in a GPO with the provided .adm/admx they provide for the deployment

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Where is get-exchangeserver actually pulling info from?

code:
Name                      ServerRole    Edition AdminDisplayVersion
----                      ----------    ------- -------------------
ex14cas01    ClientAccess, HubTransport   Standard Version 14.3 (Build 123.4)
ex14mbx01                    Mailbox Enterprise Version 14.3 (Build 123.4)
ex14et01                        Edge   Standard Version 14.2 (Build 247.5)
In this case, the ET server is also on 14.3 but get-exchangeserver run from any of the AD-integrated servers doesn't realize that. I think if I deleted and recreated the edge sync subscription, it'd show the correct version, but that's silly. Also, get-exchangeserver run from the ET server itself still shows a decomissioned Exchange 2007 server.

It's all just cosmetic, but still.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
Technet has something similar to what you're seeing for Exchange 2007, maybe the same issue was carried into 2010?

Technet posted:

after you apply Exchange 2007 SP1 to an Edge Transport server that is running the release to manufacturing (RTM) version of Exchange 2007, the version information for the Edge Transport server isn’t updated in the Exchange Management Console unless the Edge Transport server is resubscribed to the Active Directory site. This is because the Edge Transport server doesn’t directly update Active Directory by using any configuration information. Instead, the version information for Edge Transport servers is recorded in Active Directory during the creation of an Edge Subscription.

Edit: Edge synchronization is still happening right? This is just a exchange server version display issue and not that the sync isn't running?

Edit2: vvv Yeah it sounds like the only time versions are updated are in the creation of the subscription (unless something's changed since 2007 RTM). Unfortunately I don't have any edge servers to test on :(

Will Styles fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 8, 2013

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Will Styles posted:

Technet has something similar to what you're seeing for Exchange 2007, maybe the same issue was carried into 2010?

Edit: Edge synchronization is still happening right? This is just a exchange server version display issue and not that the sync isn't running?

Right, it's just cosmetics. EdgeSync is running fine. I'm assuming that because the ET isn't integrated into AD there's no easy way to discover a version.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Dell is out of the running for our hosted exchange options. Does anyone have any other hosted exchange providers they want to recommend? I still haven't decided on the dedicated vs shared option either if anyone wants to add some input.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Good lord just kill me now.

Doing a 2003 > 2010 Migration and it's all sorts of bullshit. Smarthosts stopping RGCs from working, hundreds of gigs of public folders to replicate and it's all just grinding to a halt while saturating their wan link to us.

I've turned off Public Folder replication but for some reason I've still got massive queues and I can't figure out why that is because the queue viewer takes an eternity to list any messages.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 17, 2013

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

ghostinmyshell posted:

Dell is out of the running for our hosted exchange options. Does anyone have any other hosted exchange providers they want to recommend? I still haven't decided on the dedicated vs shared option either if anyone wants to add some input.

Intermedia has always been reasonable for us. I had no clue Dell sold exchange, how many mailboxes do you need?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Look out, bitches. I just enabled journaling. :supaburn:

Turns out that GWAVA Retain is SOX compliant when you've got a journaling mailbox consuming all the e-mail traffic for it.

Still not sure if I'd recommend it (it requires your full UPN to log into it, strange auditing quirks, monstrous directory tree, etc), but that's one gripe I can wipe off the board.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

OK so. I need to move exactly 3 mailboxes off of my Exchange server and on to Office 365. I never used Office 365 because everyone says it's poo poo but I don't have a choice here. I just need to move these 3 mailboxes and then I'm done forever. What do I need to do? I googled office 365 migration and it's all third party tools.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

When we migrated it was some pretty basic powershell poo poo. Create user in O365, powershell script to migrate mailbox contents, create forwarding contact and set forwarder in local AD. We did it years ago when it was BPOS though. It looks like it's different now.

This should help http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ff959224.aspx

Office365 isn't perfect, but it's way loving better than dealing with in house exchange IMO.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 1, 2013

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So after a bunch of back and forth, my boss decided O365 wasn't going to work and we're going to implement a 2 server DAG for our E2010 setup. The problem is, the email server is 2008 R2 Standard and we need it to be enterprise. How hosed am I?

I guess we'll have to install the server in the DR facility, migrate the email to it, point everyone at it, and then rebuild the server her with R2 Ent and add it to the DAG? Or has anyone here done an in place upgrade of Windows with Exchange installed?

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

LmaoTheKid posted:

So after a bunch of back and forth, my boss decided O365 wasn't going to work and we're going to implement a 2 server DAG for our E2010 setup. The problem is, the email server is 2008 R2 Standard and we need it to be enterprise. How hosed am I?

I guess we'll have to install the server in the DR facility, migrate the email to it, point everyone at it, and then rebuild the server her with R2 Ent and add it to the DAG? Or has anyone here done an in place upgrade of Windows with Exchange installed?

Microsoft explicitly says it's a no-no.

quote:

If you're installing the Mailbox server role and you intend for the server to be a member of a database availability group (DAG), you must be running Windows Server 2012 Standard or Datacenter Edition or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise Edition. Windows Server 2008 R2 SP 1 Standard Edition doesn't support the features needed for DAGs. You can't upgrade Windows when Exchange is installed on the server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691354.aspx

It's so far off the beaten path it's not worth risking on a mission critical server. Go with your other idea if you can't get more hardware.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Thanks, that's what I thought. I had found a bunch of people saying you can do it but it's unsupported, so yeah, it's not the best idea to do it on such an important server.

Thanks!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As an aside, I would consider going straight to Windows 2012 if you can if you are rebuilding anyways. The license isn't all that expensive and Microsoft did away with feature lockout of different editions altogether. There's only Standard and Datacenter now (ignoring Essentials and Foundation) and the only difference between those two is virtualiztion rights. Standard has all features now.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

As an aside, I would consider going straight to Windows 2012 if you can if you are rebuilding anyways. The license isn't all that expensive and Microsoft did away with feature lockout of different editions altogether. There's only Standard and Datacenter now (ignoring Essentials and Foundation) and the only difference between those two is virtualiztion rights. Standard has all features now.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff728623%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx

Just make sure you're on Exchange 2010 SP3. But yeah the licensing for Windows 2012 is pretty nice.

LmaoTheKid, what were the problems you had migrating to o365? Were they more related to your environment or the process in general?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Briantist posted:

LmaoTheKid, what were the problems you had migrating to o365? Were they more related to your environment or the process in general?

A little bit of both, combined with how hosed up the documentation is for implementing things. It just got really loving annoying plodding through tons of links to find outdated information and BPAs WRT Azure and Active Directory and creating new accounts and blah blah blah.

It honestly just seems easier to go with expanding our in house server to a DAG with our DR facility.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

Keep in mind 2 server dag only gives you ha of your info stores. If one server of the two dies no one is still going to get email because you haven't got ha of your cas role. Only supported way to get ha of your cas role is thru a cas array which uses NLb which does not Coexist with a dag cluster. You can futz around it with some ad trickery but just know what you're doing before you try

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Syano posted:

Keep in mind 2 server dag only gives you ha of your info stores. If one server of the two dies no one is still going to get email because you haven't got ha of your cas role. Only supported way to get ha of your cas role is thru a cas array which uses NLb which does not Coexist with a dag cluster. You can futz around it with some ad trickery but just know what you're doing before you try

I didn't think you could even do a DAG at all with the CAS/HT roles installed on the MB servers. I thought both MB servers had to be pure for that to work?

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

madsushi posted:

I didn't think you could even do a DAG at all with the CAS/HT roles installed on the MB servers. I thought both MB servers had to be pure for that to work?

You couldn't cohabitate CAS with DAG member-MBX roles if the CAS was going to be using WNLB. It's common practice now is to cohabitate the roles and use hardware NLB for the CAS array. A lowish cost hardware NLB solution like Kemp will often be more cost-effective than breaking out CAS onto their own servers to leverage the inferior WNLB method between them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hawkline posted:

You couldn't cohabitate CAS with DAG member-MBX roles if the CAS was going to be using WNLB. It's common practice now is to cohabitate the roles and use hardware NLB for the CAS array. A lowish cost hardware NLB solution like Kemp will often be more cost-effective than breaking out CAS onto their own servers to leverage the inferior WNLB method between them.
If you want to take the super-low-cost route, we have pfSense and HAProxy (with a very nice pfSense-provided GUI) running in a pile of VMs.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Has anyone ever seen outlook 2011 interact with exchange 2010 (or any other version) stupidly? We tracked down a couple mac clients yesterday that had outlook 2011 and were pushing MASSIVE amounts of bandwidth AT our exchange server. It was all SSL traffic so I am certain it was outlook trying to push the EWS directory, I just have no clue whats going on here.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Make sure the Macs have the latest versions of the office for mac Service Packs installed.

also gently caress Office for Mac in an enterprise environment to hell.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Make sure the Macs have the latest versions of the office for mac Service Packs installed.

Yep. The new mail.app plays perfectly well with Exchange, just use that.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Syano posted:

Has anyone ever seen outlook 2011 interact with exchange 2010 (or any other version) stupidly?

I've had issues with every version of office for mac, both webdav and ews versions. The worst one I've seen is the client trying to download the full mailbox thousands of times every minute. If possible, have your users use OWA and if not that mail.app.

Gyshall posted:

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
This should be fun. Stop using outlook or I am banning the mac of your mac!

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Look out, bitches. I just enabled journaling. :supaburn:

Have fun with that!

I did journaling for a group of users for some snoopy execs to go all 1984 on their asses. It's yet another thing you have to train everyone else to deal with for every move, add, and change. Ugh.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I know about the issue of not being able to create Notes in OWA (Exchange 2010), but this is a different one.
The "notes" section doesn't show up for one of my users, who happens to be a top executive. However, it shows up just fine under my account:

I looked around, and didn't find that this was a user setting in OWA, so what gives? This user does have a bunch of notes in his Outlook... and I don't have notes in mine, but it shows on my OWA! :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
On your CAS server, check your logs for his username or Principal name and see if there are some wacky permissions issues. Maybe rebuild the OWA directory if there are.