Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Awwww, I can just picture Wiggles. Remember the last night when you were taking the chicks into the house and she stayed out there on the roosting board. Fries kept walking up to her and say hey, "We are going inside," she just kept standing there on the roosting bar. Dear Wiggles, hang in there for a couple weeks and you might just have a baby to watch over:)

edit: Oh and her cute floofy feathered feet. I can just see her pacing about with those huge slippers on her feet! :h:

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Baba is moving around a bit and eating on her own :neckbeard:, she had some cottage cheese and she's been scratching and eating some lay feed I put for her. She still makes that squeak/peep when she poops, but her poop looks like this now:

It seems like she's getting a bit better, she looks more alert and her comb and wattles look a bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAo1BOg9A3k

Edit: Baba has been eating on and off all day, and even pecked and ate a bit of cucumber. Right now she walked back to the crate, but this time she's actually laying down, not standing in a penguin pose, things seem to be getting better I hope :woop:

Chido fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 8, 2013

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It turns out that a nearby neighborhood has a flock of semi-wild guinea fowl roaming about. I saw them the other day and did a double take, and learned that they are a bit of a neighborhood fixture. They even have made a custom sign to get people to slow down :3:

The lady I spoke to today said they have chicks and roam around with little peeping flocks :kimchi:

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

c355n4 posted:

Hah, Yoya and Wiggles.

chuckling here in Florida!
Why one laying box is preferred over another is something I'll never be able to grasp.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Requesting pics of VS's angry, broody hens, please! :)

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'm pretty much sure that Velvet needs to live stream everything involving any chickens at all. I hope Yoya sticks with it; she was one of my favorites that year and it'll be neat to see her raising new peeps. Also she is a giant and this will surely help defend against grass monsters.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Yoya is still broody as is Colonel...but they don't have the attitude yet so they may just be infatuated with the eggs right now. Wiggles has enough 'tude for 6 hens, however. Wiggles emerged today and took a Very Angry dustbath, then a Very Angry drink....then ate.

After all, eating is serious business.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Bertha you seem to have lost weight.

Baby dont got back.

Purple chicken?! Is this real or is this a lighting thing? How do I get a purple chicken?

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shes a fairly light Lemon-Blue so that and bad lighting I suppose would make her seem purplish.

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.

Shes a fairly light Lemon-Blue so that and bad lighting I suppose would make her seem purplish.

She's a pretty little thing. What breed is that, anyway?

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Can you post more pictures of your awesome chicken? I would like to see what she looks like in other light.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Lemon-Blue chickens are the prettiest :D Like that little rooster from a few pages back. I would take him home and name him Lemon Butter and he would be the sexiest rooster on the block. Unless Kali eats him first.

As for our handsome wandering rooster, he is back with his girlfriends! During his time out, it was bantam breeding and selling time, so cage allocations were being shuffled around and he got put in a larger pen that wasn't in view of my backyard for photos :argh: He was very surprised to learn how loud bantam roosters are when they are in the pen next to you and defending the honour of their bantam ladies.

When his owner started answering her door, he was reunited with his ladies and very pleased about it, as are they. (The hens were all looking very glum when he was on his trip.) His second-in-command, a big white rooster, is sulking. He quite enjoyed being head rooster and having all attention focused on him.

Overall, all the neighbourhood chickens are quite happy now. I will post some pictures of Kali and Alecto frolicking to make up for the lack of handsome rooster photos soon!

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Citizen Insane posted:

She's a pretty little thing. What breed is that, anyway?

Shes a bantam Cochin. Heres an older picture of her and one of her sisters I took a while back when I was showing her.

More pictures from a year or so ago.

A lemon-blue rooster,also an old picture.

Ill try to take some new ones but nobody is in good shape right now because ive clipped all their asses for the hot weather.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Ill try to take some new ones but nobody is in good shape right now because ive clipped all their asses for the hot weather.

You do know that is a reason for MORE pictures, not less, right? :frogc00l:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Vaga42Bond posted:

You do know that is a reason for MORE pictures, not less, right? :frogc00l:

This. ^^^^

Tim, what do you use to clip them? It looks like you used an old-school guillotine-type paper cutter. :v:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Here are some lovely chickens.

The van is used to store extra feed for the chooks and ponies. As it is usually cool, dark, and undisturbed, frogs form colonies inside the back door. (Personal record is 25 frogs on the inside of the door.) The chickens were disturbed by the noises of frogs until they found out how delicious they are.

During the summer, the gate is nice and cool in the afternoon. All year round, it offers a good vantage point from which to survey the back yard and interesting parts of the paddock. The icecream tub means they don't even need to leave for water when spying on me.

Stalking chickens.

Synchronized dust baths!

Dust baths are one of the few times when they will hold still for a good photo. Here is Alecto...

...and here is Kali.

A new neighbour has moved in. His caravan had a few too many dead frogs for his liking so he threw them over the fence into the paddock. The chickens were very happy when they found a bounty of dessicated frogs snacks hidden in the grass. So happy that they even turned into chicken boats, sailing on the sea. (The neighbour calls the chickens Hewie and Dewie.)

Here are brave chicken comrades looking forward to a bright future.

Here is Kali getting stuck in a hose coil and Alecto judging me. (There was a snail shell hidden behind the hose.)

Alecto judging me again, this time because a crow made a noise and it was all my fault.

A well-lit Kali applying for the Ministry for Silly Walks.

Alecto is so pretty. Give us a twirl!

Oh no Kali

And to finish it off, here is another, somewhat less handsome, visitor to the paddock. It's a sleepy lizard.

Oops

The take-home message is chickens are equal parts silly and lovely, and do not provoke local wildlife.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Here are some lovely chickens.

Those are some fine, fat chooks! Very handsome! Thanks for all the great photos! :)

But that lizard!!?! Where do you live? (I thought it was an alligator at first!)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Found an add on CL for someone looking for a Cuckoo Maran Roo. I called them and they are out in the country and have a flock of 10 young 4 month old girls and they want a boy to make them happy. They are interested in picking up my Henry.

On the plus side I think he will be happier out on some ranchland with a gaggle of hens to call his own, but I will be sad to see him go since he was one of our very first and had paste butt and I had to handle and clean him multiple times a day. I hope they give him a good home if they take him.

edit: Also I have a question. The first three, "The Cheeps" are about a month and half old now and are getting pretty big, almost fully feathered and quite heavy compared to the new 2, "The Peeps." The peeps are currently about 1/3 of the size and still only have wing feathers and some tail nubbins. How big do they need to get to be before we can move them over to live with the other ones once Henry is rehomed? Right now they wouldnt be able to reach the waterer or feeder sine they are suspended a bit in the air to keep the idiots from kicking pine shavings into them but the Cheeps are growing so drat fast the Peeps wont be able to keep up until they are about ready to go outside and they might be able to stay inside the brooder for another week max. We moved the other ones out at 3 weeks into the big cage.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 9, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Polish rooster is now named Polka.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Inveigle posted:

Those are some fine, fat chooks! Very handsome! Thanks for all the great photos! :)

But that lizard!!?! Where do you live? (I thought it was an alligator at first!)

I live in central/SE Queensland, Australia (central QLD when we want government money, SE when we want tourists). This lizard is some manner of bearded dragon. Their favourite place to sit is in the middle of the road as it's warm and quiet. This one was probably sleeping (it's getting on to lizard hibernation season) and then decided to take advantage of a sunny patch in the otherwise overcast day.

When they get upset from having too many photos taken, they stick up their beards, open their bright yellow mouths, and make hissing/puffing noises while inflating their bodies.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Weedcat is gettin' there, 3 out of 5 eggs laid today were fertile. I may still shave his hiney a bit more just to be sure....

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Found an add on CL for someone looking for a Cuckoo Maran Roo. I called them and they are out in the country and have a flock of 10 young 4 month old girls and they want a boy to make them happy. They are interested in picking up my Henry.

On the plus side I think he will be happier out on some ranchland with a gaggle of hens to call his own, but I will be sad to see him go since he was one of our very first and had paste butt and I had to handle and clean him multiple times a day. I hope they give him a good home if they take him.

edit: Also I have a question. The first three, "The Cheeps" are about a month and half old now and are getting pretty big, almost fully feathered and quite heavy compared to the new 2, "The Peeps." The peeps are currently about 1/3 of the size and still only have wing feathers and some tail nubbins. How big do they need to get to be before we can move them over to live with the other ones once Henry is rehomed? Right now they wouldnt be able to reach the waterer or feeder sine they are suspended a bit in the air to keep the idiots from kicking pine shavings into them but the Cheeps are growing so drat fast the Peeps wont be able to keep up until they are about ready to go outside and they might be able to stay inside the brooder for another week max. We moved the other ones out at 3 weeks into the big cage.

I'd wait until the peeps were at least 2-3 weeks old before putting them in with the cheeps, they need to be big enough to survive getting stomped on, trampled for food and pecked, plus gain a bit of chicken savvy.

Rehoming rooboys is hard, I sympathize with you. Just have the people come over and spend some time out on the coop, meeting Henry and talking to you--you'll know if they are OK or not.

The girls are beautiful, nice pictures!
Holy poo poo, that lizard--!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I live in central/SE Queensland, Australia (central QLD when we want government money, SE when we want tourists). This lizard is some manner of bearded dragon. Their favourite place to sit is in the middle of the road as it's warm and quiet. This one was probably sleeping (it's getting on to lizard hibernation season) and then decided to take advantage of a sunny patch in the otherwise overcast day.

When they get upset from having too many photos taken, they stick up their beards, open their bright yellow mouths, and make hissing/puffing noises while inflating their bodies.

I love beardies, but I'm glad I don't get 'em in my yard, I can't imagine my rooster would cope very well. He adores eating the skinks and geckos though. And chasing my housemate's cat all over the yard all the time.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional: Polka is a great name! What a fanastic-looking rooster! :)

Check out this photo of fat, sassy chooks, begging for treats at a sliding glass door. Posted on Reddit by sassi-squatch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Anything I do in the yard *must* be for the hens, at least in their little bird minds.

Bonus! See if you can spot the...special thing...that was caught on film in this shot:

Pardalis fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 11, 2013

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Pardalis posted:

Bonus! See if you can spot the...special thing...that was caught on film in this shot:

And this is why they are called droppings...

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

The fella I bought my French Wheaten Marans Rooster from was so impressed at how I'm trying to preserve the breed, he offered to send me another rooster from other parentage free if I just pay the postage. This way, I should keep diversity in the bloodline by breeding the hens whos daddy was rooster #1 to rooster #2. Then switch again with the next generation after that.
This rooster would be a chick though, from his next successful hatch, so it would be a work in progress.
Well,
the package came in the mail today --... except there wasn't just one cockerel chick in there, but there was five!

I think my wife is gonna divorce me now.
Plus - he threw in a free pullet! It was a good day over here.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bantaras posted:

Plus - he threw in a free pullet! It was a good day over here.

Haha! Look at those cuties! Just imagine the racket when they all start to crow! ;)

Let's see more photos are they get older! It's so great you can help keep a breed going!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

BTW, here's what the French Wheaten Marans chickens look like as adults. A very pretty chicken breed.

This pic was from the forums on albertachickensetc and was posted by someone in Vancouver.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Hmm...my sumatran is really going after my Polish. I feel bad cause I think half the time Polka can't see him coming. He's taken to hiding in the barn by himself.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

unprofessional posted:

Hmm...my sumatran is really going after my Polish. I feel bad cause I think half the time Polka can't see him coming. He's taken to hiding in the barn by himself.

I had that problem. I purchased some of these and the bully was instantly stopped.

Edit: o wait you said 'he' - I think these are primarily for hens.

Inveigle posted:

BTW, here's what the French Wheaten Marans chickens look like as adults. A very pretty chicken breed.

This pic was from the forums on albertachickensetc and was posted by someone in Vancouver.

My hens look just like that. I posted a video of them going after an apple but I think it's quite a few pages back.
Pretty birds!

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 11, 2013

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

unprofessional posted:

I think someone once said you could trim a Polish's top knot to allow them to see better. You might try trimming the feathers a bit?

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Boo the blue Cochin cockerel isn't happy I took him away from his hens to take a picture.

Hes going to be even less happy when I scissor his very fluffy butt off.

Buff Silkie hen looking confused.

Blue Silkie cockerel also looking confused with dirty cheek fluff.

White Silkie hen also looking confused.

White Silkie hen deciding everything's OK so it's time to sing.

Silkies pretty much always look confused,heres a splash one wondering where the dirt she was wallowing in went.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

piscesbobbie posted:

I think someone once said you could trim a Polish's top knot to allow them to see better. You might try trimming the feathers a bit?
I will do so, but I think even if he can see, he's going to be bullied. I placed him on a roost last night, and even then the Sumatran tried to jump and spur him. He's a big sweetheart rooster, and the Sumatran's gorgeous, so I don't want to have to get rid of either of them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Meeting up with the family after work to deliver Henry to them. They seem to be nice people and want a roo to take care of their girls on 3 acres in the country, so Im sure he will be fine. And after the giant poo poo fights they are geting into lately maybe removing a roster will let the girls calm down a bit before they go outside.

This weekend is coop time. Im going to build the "Garden Coop" style. I really like it and I think it will work well in my backyard. If I can get the foundation down and get it framed up and ready for the boxes and hardware cloth I will be a happy man.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

unprofessional posted:

I will do so, but I think even if he can see, he's going to be bullied. I placed him on a roost last night, and even then the Sumatran tried to jump and spur him. He's a big sweetheart rooster, and the Sumatran's gorgeous, so I don't want to have to get rid of either of them.

Sumatrans are naturally a more aggressive breed (they have jungle fowl as part of their heritage which have been used for cock fighting) and Polish are very laid-back--you've got both ends of the spectrum there. I'm thinking they'll either have to be seperated or have a very large area to live in so the Polish fella can have someplace to get away. As they get older young roos tend to calm the Hell down and mellow out a bit, but usually that's more into their 2nd and 3rd year.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

If you pet me while im laying an egg again I will peck your eyes out.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
What's the average cost of these speciality chickens yall got.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
So what do most of you do with your chickens after they're done laying? Does anyone do any processing of older hens and/or surplus roosters?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Tricky Twisty posted:

What's the average cost of these speciality chickens yall got.

I got a couple of rare breeds (the Faverolles and the Andalusian) and they were maybe a dollar or so more than the "regular" chicks. If you get them as adults they might be more, I don't know. I have a feeling it depends on where you're buying them and at what age.

Update on the sprouter:

It's kind of incredible how things change. I got the sprouter about 3-4 weeks ago, and immediately began making loads of alfalfa sprouts for the girls. Who took one look and immediately dismissed them as "not-worms." Fickle bitches.

We tried again last week after they'd been in their coop for a week and had begun really gruffling down grass. Now the sprouts are gone in seconds. So, something for people to try I guess. We got a cheap sprouter (about $7) and a pound of a mix of seeds (alfalfa, clover, radish, broccoli) for about $12. A pound should last quite a while, I'd think. We give them a tray of sprouts every 2 days or so. I figure once summer is here we won't need to give them as many, but it'll be awesome in the winter when there's not much growing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Can these chickens fly?