Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I didn't even realize you could recruit kellam until I killed gaius on chapter 6 and reloaded the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I didn't even realize you could recruit kellam until I killed gaius on chapter 6 and reloaded the map.

So you're a character in Fire Emblem: Awakening, then.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Red Metal posted:

:words: 463 support conversations

Also, just for comparison, Path of Radiance has 68 supports and 41 characters, Sacred Stones has 83 supports and 33 characters, Blazing Sword has 115 supports and 42 characters, and Binding Blade has 143 supports and 53 characters. Awakening has 25 first generation character, plus Anna, Say'ri, Tiki, (spoilers for Chapter 23) Basilio and Flavia, 13 children characters, and six characters from Spotpass paralogues, for 49 characters total (still fewer than Binding Blade :v:)

Also, the Bonds DLC has 118 conversation chains. The Avatar's eight conversations change depending on whether the other character is related to/married to him/her. Cordelia's conversation with Chrom can only happen if she isn't married, and Morgan's conversation with other children character don't happen if they're his/her parent.

Red Metal fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 9, 2013

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Considering how many unique supports there are, the lack of them in some areas is a little weird. Especially considering Morgan, you'd think they'd have done unique supports for the parents that only have Morgan as a possible child. Or the sibling support with Lucina.

The spotpass paralogue characters, too. You'd think some of them would have something to say to a few other people in the army besides your avatar or Morgan.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 9, 2013

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Heh. Well...poo poo. Does that include overlaps with generic templates, too? For the purposes of support library coverage, I don't really see the point of getting more than one father-child support chain, for instance.

But even taking those out, that is a pretty absurd number.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Considering how many unique supports there are, the lack of them in some areas is a little weird. Especially considering Morgan, you'd think they'd have done unique supports for the parents that only have Morgan as a possible child. Or the sibling support with Lucina.

The spotpass paralogue characters, too. You'd think some of them would have something to say to a few other people in the army besides your avatar or Morgan.

Yeah, as Marogareh said, really don't blame them for passing on those considering how much they already had to write.

---

...On a completely different note, I just got in a dumb internet argument with someone who said that the existence of Casual mode has almost turned her off entirely from getting Awakening, because it means that "classic" Fire Emblem is now as much of a relic as the original Super Mario Bros. is after New Super Mario Bros. came out. The game has changed, for the worse in her opinion, because of trying to reach a larger audience, basically.

Am I just weird for thinking that the existence of Casual mode detracts absolutely nothing from the game?

(reclassing and infinite grinding are far more the reason Awakening is easy than Casual mode is anyway)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Nah I enjoy casual.

I don't see the harm in including it, it literally detracts nothing from classic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Wild Knight posted:

...On a completely different note, I just got in a dumb internet argument with someone who said that the existence of Casual mode has almost turned her off entirely from getting Awakening, because it means that "classic" Fire Emblem is now as much of a relic as the original Super Mario Bros. is after New Super Mario Bros. came out. The game has changed, for the worse in her opinion, because of trying to reach a larger audience, basically.

Am I just weird for thinking that the existence of Casual mode detracts absolutely nothing from the game?

(reclassing and infinite grinding are far more the reason Awakening is easy than Casual mode is anyway)

Ask her if she feels the same way about difficulty selection. Casual vs. Classic is essentially just a difficulty modifier as it modifies the one variable that causes the most restarts.

People who bitch about optional stuff that modifies how other people play are pretty terrible usually. Being elitist about how its terrible for a game to be (optionally) more accessible is eye-rollingly self centered and usually not worth debating. She won't change her mind.

I've never particularly liked the kind of random difficulty of Fire Emblem titles before Awakening. Loved the gameplay, didn't like how there were times after an hour of cautious play I'd have to reset or lose a character and tons of content. It was more tedious than anything. Awakening is easily the Fire Emblem game I've played most because of the lack of that. I never feel frustrated to the point of indefinitely shelving it after failing to beat a chapter 15 times because I lost someone an hour in.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 10, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It is by far the dumbest argument I have heard about Awakening. It was a dumb thing back in FE12, it is dumb now and it will be dumb in the future when all FE games will have it because anyone with a working brain knows it doesn't detract anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, difficulty modifiers are only bad if it's clear that they didn't actually design the game to compensate for them and... Awakening does. So there's no harm whatsoever in having both.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Wild Knight posted:

No, but you don't understand, people playing on Casual aren't playing the way I like to play the game, so they aren't getting the ~true experience~! If you play on filthy Casual mode you don't deserve to play this game!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Yeah, uh, what's wrong with Casual Mode anyway? It definitely is a pretty great lure for tons and tons of potential players who were turned off by the permadeath feature before.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wild Knight posted:

There is nothing inherently wrong with Casual mode. If anything it cuts out the middle man. 99 percent of FE players immediately reset the moment someone dies and they get to replay that battle over and over, and I'm pretty sure people still reset on Casual mode anyway. It's more likely that very few people play Fire Emblem "as intended", according to folks like that.

The only time I can even remotely think of the "casualization" of a game being detrimental to it is when it actually affects the enjoyment that can be derived from a game as a whole for its entire target audience. Case in point, the new DmC is one of the most boring action games ever precisely because very little thought went into the combat system, and therefore it didn't matter what you did on any difficulty. The game doesn't require a lot of effort to do anything at all, making combat boring no matter what your claimed skill level is. If anything, if you're the type of person who feels they need to lower the difficulty to make it through a DMC title (and there really ought to be no shame admitting that), you probably are going to get bored with DmC's combat system and not bother playing through it again.

Basically you should ignore than person's opinion about pretty much every videogame ever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah, uh, what's wrong with Casual Mode anyway? It definitely is a pretty great lure for tons and tons of potential players who were turned off by the permadeath feature before.

Same mindset as "oh it's popular, now I don't like it anymore." It's some inane gamer bullshit that plagues the hardcore of whatever.

Wild Knight posted:

Heh. Well...poo poo. Does that include overlaps with generic templates, too? For the purposes of support library coverage, I don't really see the point of getting more than one father-child support chain, for instance.

But even taking those out, that is a pretty absurd number.

Keep in mind he's not counting the other Gender Avatar, some of which are completely different than the male.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I am bad at video games. I play casual normal mode because on hard I start getting frustratingly stuck around chapter 6. I love this genre and it would suck to miss out because it would be too frustrating for me to play it. It boggles my mind that people don't like having the option to play on easier settings.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

For some games, there's a risk that lower difficulty levels are boring, and more timid players would do themselves a disservice by selecting it, but that's not the case here.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I would actually like casual to have a "casual hardcore" mode in that it's like classic or hard but doesn't have permadeth....

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I would actually like casual to have a "casual hardcore" mode in that it's like classic or hard but doesn't have permadeth....

There are only two differences between casual and classic: permadeath and battle saves. Are you just saying you'd like a mode that lacks permadeath but doesn't permit battle saves? You could just not use them.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What, you mean like playing Hard difficulty with Casual mode? Because that's a thing you can do.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GreenBuckanneer posted:

... what?

Thats exactly what casual mode is: an addon to any difficult that just removes permadeath and lets you make in battle saves.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly the biggest improvement the series could get would be to have a restart chapter option in the menu (and possibly a button combination that keys to it). L+R+Start is nice, but I don't want to have to go through the menu over and over.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

There are only two differences between casual and classic: permadeath and battle saves. Are you just saying you'd like a mode that lacks permadeath but doesn't permit battle saves? You could just not use them.

I want hard mode with battles saves and no permadeath. Just make everything hit harder and require you to pair up and use certain classes over others and poo poo.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want hard mode with battles saves and no permadeath.

Then do that. You select Casual/Classic separately from Normal/Hard/Lunatic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want hard mode with battles saves and no permadeath. Just make everything hit harder and require you to pair up and use certain classes over others and poo poo.

That is literally how the game works. Select difficulty: Normal, Hard, Lunatic and apply classic or casual mode. Casual mode allows battle saves and no permadeath.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Did your eyes just glaze over on the difficulty screen? Normal, Hard, Lunatic?

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 10, 2013

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
My current playthrough is on Lunatic/Casual and I'd say the overall effect of that combination is to make the game play more like a conventional SRPG: you can expect a couple of losses on harder maps as characters fall to unlucky hits or have to be sacrificed to hold off an enemy, and then you get everyone back after winning the battle and can do it again next chapter.

One thing to watch out for in Casual mode is that characters who fall on a map won't benefit from any support points they earned in that map, so if you're trying to raise someone's support levels, you have to keep them alive. Also, it's still game over if Chrom or the Avatar falls, so you should protect them at all costs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wild Knight posted:

Yeah, as Marogareh said, really don't blame them for passing on those considering how much they already had to write.

It's not something that detracts from the game or that you can call the devs out on, but some times it is a little jarring. It makes sense that the avatar and sibling supports overlap because there are so many of them, but some don't make much sense with some characters.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Color Printer posted:

Did your eyes just glaze over on the difficulty screen? Normal, Hard, Lunatic?

I guess so....

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Thuryl posted:

One thing to watch out for in Casual mode is that characters who fall on a map won't benefit from any support points they earned in that map, so if you're trying to raise someone's support levels, you have to keep them alive. Also, it's still game over if Chrom or the Avatar falls, so you should protect them at all costs.

Not true. I had Olivia die on her first map while dancing for supports and she still married Chrom.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There does appear to be some penalty to support points earned on a map in which either of the two characters involved dies, but it's unclear how much.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tae posted:

Not true. I had Olivia die on her first map while dancing for supports and she still married Chrom.

Huh. I thought I'd noticed that whenever a character fell in battle on a map, I never unlocked support conversations involving that character after the map, even if I'd spent the whole map grinding them for supports. Maybe it was just a weird coincidence, or maybe there's something special about the way Chrom's marriage is handled.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Thuryl posted:

or maybe there's something special about the way Chrom's marriage is handled.

It's most probably a heavily reduced amount because if supports don't count if they die, then Chrom would've been married to the village girl instead.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Even killing off Sumia on Classic mode apparently won't stop Chrom from marrying her in the right circumstances.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nakar posted:

Even killing off Sumia on Classic mode apparently won't stop Chrom from marrying her in the right circumstances.

...what.

You're going to have to explain that one.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Would that circumstance be an already existing S-rank support between the two?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

...what.

You're going to have to explain that one.

Sumia is a plot character, meaning she doesn't die and just retreats (Same for Lucina, Lissa, Fred, etc). So if Chrom and Sumia have a few pair-ups and then "dies", those points carry over.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Welcome to Fire Emblem: Awakening, where even the game has it's own favored ship that it'll try to force on you at every opportunity.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I still don't get why, if Sumia is the plot wifey for Chrom, why her stat caps make Lucina have a -1 stat point in Strength... Maybe Intelligent Systems only want to dick you over no matter what way you turn to.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
Has anyone else had the problem of getting to chapter ~14 and suddenly not knowing what to do? Perhaps it's a combination: all the children are theoretically unlocked (though the only one I've got a paralogue for is Nah so far...), but I've also got about four streetpass teams sitting on my map, so I'm having options paralysis. I'm assuming streetpass teams don't scale to your own general level or anything, so chances are I will get my poo poo kicked in if I try to actively fight most of them. Am I wrong?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

LightningKimba posted:

I still don't get why, if Sumia is the plot wifey for Chrom, why her stat caps make Lucina have a -1 stat point in Strength... Maybe Intelligent Systems only want to dick you over no matter what way you turn to.

Zero, actually; Chrom has +1, Sumia -2, so 1-2+1=0.

And if you have other people's streetpass teams on the field, you can try to buy their poo poo if you want and feel that they have something worthwhile to bust money on (e.g. statboosters, Second Seals, and the like)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shoopuf posted:

Has anyone else had the problem of getting to chapter ~14 and suddenly not knowing what to do? Perhaps it's a combination: all the children are theoretically unlocked (though the only one I've got a paralogue for is Nah so far...), but I've also got about four streetpass teams sitting on my map, so I'm having options paralysis. I'm assuming streetpass teams don't scale to your own general level or anything, so chances are I will get my poo poo kicked in if I try to actively fight most of them. Am I wrong?

You can check the streetpass teams' stats before you decide whether or not to engage them.

If you haven't done any of the recruitment paralogues and have only just unlocked chapter 14, you're not strong enough to finish Nah's paralogue, so just advance the plot sometime when you feel up to taking on a full chapter.

• Locked thread