Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Anyone have any ideas on how to switch a Synocommunity Mylar package to switch from pulling from the Master branch to the developmental one? I tried altering versioncheck.py and version.py by replacing master with developmental, but that didn't work.

Edit: Never mind. I previously altered it to say developmental instead of development. Once I actually used the proper term, it updated correctly. Who knew?

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

Can someone give me a brief rundown of what is exactly required to run a Usenet indexer, as in, how would one pull the data? If I had that, making an account system/search system would be a loving breeze.

Do you mean writing your own or using something like newznab? If you mean newznab, you just need to set up a machine with MySQL, PHP, bandwidth and space. If you mean writing your own you pick a language, and connect to usenet servers, download, and parse the articles.

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho
I keep getting incompletes, I have supernews as my primary, astraweb and usenetserver as my backups. It's a little frustrating. Should I try one from the holland provider?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Teabiscuit posted:

I keep getting incompletes, I have supernews as my primary, astraweb and usenetserver as my backups. It's a little frustrating. Should I try one from the holland provider?

I'd wager this has something to do with your client or config, having all these servers would normally cover virtually 100% minus rare takedowns.

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho

Shy posted:

I'd wager this has something to do with your client or config, having all these servers would normally cover virtually 100% minus rare takedowns.

Pretty sure it's the fed taking down my linux isos. :(

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So this isn't directly related to usenet, but...

I've got a 9TB NAS, and I want to back it up onto a whole pile of 500GB disks so I can rebuild the arrays. I think the easiest way to do this might be to split it up into an insane number of rar files with par2 files. Basically, do it the Usenet way.

So how would I go about doing this exactly?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Just a note, RAR already has recovery record capabilities, but I am curious if PAR2 might actually be better.
I think QuickPar should have options to drop in and create PAR recovery records. I have just never done it.

Edit: After some playing with QuickPar, it appears it can do file splitting for you as well. But in my test I just dragged a largeish 700MB file into QuickPar and hit the Create button.
Since it wasn't going on usenet, you don't really have to bother with a lot of the options.

I'm not really sure if it's made to efficiently deal with hundreds of thousands of files, let alone small ones. So you might find yourself RARing a bunch of crap up, slicing into volume sets, and protecting the bunch with QuickPar (don't need to split further, so leave that unchecked).
It'll generate your PARs after, but it kind of takes a while.

WinRAR has the Recovery Record checkbox that adds some recovery, but QuickPar has more options here. Default is 10% redundancy in its settings.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 12, 2013

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The scheme of using uncompressed rar archive with par2 recovery volumes is a solution to a problem you aren't exactly faced with. I would take the option off the table if that 9TB array is more than half full.
Couldn't you just move the all files with Robocopy or something (possibly with verify on) and hotswap and re-execute the same move command every time each successive destination drive is full?
Seems like less hassle on the user end.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
And yeah I agree. I'd really just copy stuff over to the other disks or volume, then back over, once your RAID has been rebuilt.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If I move the raw files over then I have to manually split it up into 18 500GB chunks, whereas my thought was with the archive I could just dump it into one enormous archive.

But that won't really work because I don't have 9TB of space to store archives while they're being built. My problem is how do I easily move all 9TB onto all those drives with as little manual intervention as possible. Being able to verify integrity and also repair would be an added benefit as well. But the more I think about this isn't the right way to go about it.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

If I move the raw files over then I have to manually split it up into 18 500GB chunks, whereas my thought was with the archive I could just dump it into one enormous archive.

But that won't really work because I don't have 9TB of space to store archives while they're being built. My problem is how do I easily move all 9TB onto all those drives with as little manual intervention as possible. Being able to verify integrity and also repair would be an added benefit as well. But the more I think about this isn't the right way to go about it.

The best way is to get an external drive case, put all the drives in and you've got a backup forever. mostly. Even better if you just do it the smart way and realize that you should be backing up your raid in the first place and get a set of 4x2TB drives in a 4 drive case (nothing special, $100 or so) and just use it as a JBOD to offload your array and do the backups monthly at worst.

Your biggest problem is that a drive will die, leaving you with way more than pars can fix the way you're talking unless you do them in 400gb chunks with 100gb worth of pars, dumping the rars straight to the new drive (presumably with an external drive dock or something) and then running the par creation on the new drive too. This all seems messy.

This is not an 'as little manual intervention as possible' scenario, unless you're willing to spend money on making it happen that way.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

If I move the raw files over then I have to manually split it up into 18 500GB chunks.
If you were backing up to disc-based media, you would have to. Hard drive to hard drive, you can just use a move command over and over again. Each command will eventually quit with a not enough disk space message, but that's fine. Switch drives and run the command again and it will pick up where the last one left off, since all the successfully moved files are no longer present on the source drive (array).

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 12, 2013

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
What is the goto Usenet provider for EU goons? Currently using Newsdemon and it's becoming a bit useless.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
So I've set up port forwarding to direct to my computer using sabnzbd and still no luck getting nzb360 to connect. Any thoughts?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

MycroftXXX posted:

So I've set up port forwarding to direct to my computer using sabnzbd and still no luck getting nzb360 to connect. Any thoughts?

Does it work if you're on the same LAN as SAB? If not, there's probably a firewall issue on the computer that has SAB installed. If you can, you probably didn't forward the ports correctly.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

EC posted:

Does it work if you're on the same LAN as SAB? If not, there's probably a firewall issue on the computer that has SAB installed. If you can, you probably didn't forward the ports correctly.

It's not working on the same lan. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Check if you're only allowing localhost connections to sabnzbd in its settings.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Manac0r posted:

What is the goto Usenet provider for EU goons? Currently using Newsdemon and it's becoming a bit useless.
I believe most of the big providers have EU specific servers in their farms.
I'm using usenetserver.com as my main provider and have block accounts on blocknews.net and tweaknews.eu. This setup works and I've not seen any missing articles issues at all.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Keito posted:

Check if you're only allowing localhost connections to sabnzbd in its settings.

Aaaannndddd I'm a loving idiot. Thank you!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Not quite sure if this is the best place for it, but got a new machine and when I reinstalled Chrome and SABConnect++, whenever I click a magic "SEND NZBD" button, it sends it twice.

Any ideas? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of settings that look relevant.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 17, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NewgroupDirect Happy Hour going on for the next 2 hours.
250gb block (plus 25gb headers=275gb total) for only $10.

You can buy multiples so if you want 1.1TB for $40 buy it 4 times.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 17, 2013

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Maneki Neko posted:

Not quite sure if this is the best place for it, but got a new machine and when I reinstalled Chrome and SABConnect++, whenever I click a magic "SEND NZBD" button, it sends it twice.

Any ideas? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of settings that look relevant.

This has been happening to me too, but nothing else on my system has changed. It just started out of the blue the other day.

I'm getting A LOT of failed downloads too. Pretty much nothing works. I think it may be tied to the password reset at NZB.su though.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

As someone mentioned a week or so back, I'm also getting a lot of failed downloads, but going into the incomplete folder and unzipping works fine. No idea why this is happening.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Are you running the latest version? There seem to be a few downloads floating around where the filenames of the rar files don't match what the par2 file say they should be. I was running .7.3 and it would bomb out on those, and I think one of the very recent updates fixed it to detect that condition.

Also, run Quickpar on those failed downloads, it will properly repair them if needed.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I tried to like Multipar, but went back to Quickpar. Even though it is slightly slower, it is better under a key circumstance -that is re-verifying a fileset. Quickpar caches its results to its user directory so (even if you close and reopen it) it can instantly be caught up if you only change or add a small number of missing files from the set. There's even an option to for it to monitor a directory and wait for exactly this. Multipar must re-verify every single file of the set each time and doesn't seem to monitor for changes.
Annoying that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive says Multipar supersedes Quickpar even though it doesn't encompass the full feature set.

E: par2.exe, par2-classic.exe, and phpar2.exe (multipar's backend) all seem to take the same command line arguments. Maybe I could rename phpar2.exe to par2.exe and drop it into my SABnzbd folder for a little speed boost. We'll see.
E2: On a download with missing blocks, it seems to not simply return success/failure without the number of blocks needed, so SAB doesn't attempt to download more repair blocks and it just fails. Disappointing. At least source code is available.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 18, 2013

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

FISHMANPET posted:

Are you running the latest version? There seem to be a few downloads floating around where the filenames of the rar files don't match what the par2 file say they should be. I was running .7.3 and it would bomb out on those, and I think one of the very recent updates fixed it to detect that condition.

Also, run Quickpar on those failed downloads, it will properly repair them if needed.

Thanks this fixed all my broken downloads, Sabnzb was on 7.4. I thought sabnzb told you there was a new update at the top of the window, or am I just getting confused with sickbeard? Either way good advice if you have a lot of failed downloads check sabnzb is up to date, seems obvious after the fact really.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Mujaji posted:

Thanks this fixed all my broken downloads, Sabnzb was on 7.4. I thought sabnzb told you there was a new update at the top of the window, or am I just getting confused with sickbeard? Either way good advice if you have a lot of failed downloads check sabnzb is up to date, seems obvious after the fact really.

sab doesn't seem to tell you if there is an update.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It usually says update available in the upper left hand corner for me when an update is available. I think there is a switch in the set up that you have to enable to have it check for updates though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was running .7.3 and I got an update notification, I'd just been ignoring it for months :)

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Does the definitive guide to providers in the OP still apply? I assume so, but since the "as of" date is about two years ago, I figure it can't hurt to check...

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Torael_7 posted:

Does the definitive guide to providers in the OP still apply? I assume so, but since the "as of" date is about two years ago, I figure it can't hurt to check...
We've hit a point where all providers are about equal, and none can reliably do the job alone. Pick an unlimited provider of your choice, then pick an opposing block provider. Try that. If you're displeased, swap out one or the other, making sure that you keep them coming from separate feeds.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

inpheaux posted:

We've hit a point where all providers are about equal, and none can reliably do the job alone. Pick an unlimited provider of your choice, then pick an opposing block provider. Try that. If you're displeased, swap out one or the other, making sure that you keep them coming from separate feeds.

Can we get that infographic in the OP?

Also, I would recommend getting an EU/NL only provider if you can find one. I have good luck with older missing parts from an NL based provider.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just updated my XBMC installs to Frodo and I'm finding that Sickbeard is no longer updating the library. It sends notifications about starting and download finished, but no library updates happen.

Anyone know what's going on with this?

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

You probably need to go into the system setting and enable HTTP and remote commands.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Waffle Conspiracy posted:

You probably need to go into the system setting and enable HTTP and remote commands.

Already done. I don't think notifications work without those enabled anyway.

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

is your sickbeard instance up to date?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

is your sickbeard instance up to date?

Bleeding edge.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I've been having that problem recently as well. It started with a recent update of either OpenElec or Sickbeard, I can't say for sure. I had been using Frodo before this problem started, so my issue at least isn't specifically a Frodo thing.

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

I've noticed two things when i upgraded to frodo -- one is that if the tv show isn't in the library i have to do a manual scan to get it in there before SB can update it. the other thing is that the 'Latest' videos isn't always accurate, older movies / tv episodes i add don't show up even though they were just added and are in the library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

I've noticed two things when i upgraded to frodo -- one is that if the tv show isn't in the library i have to do a manual scan to get it in there before SB can update it. the other thing is that the 'Latest' videos isn't always accurate, older movies / tv episodes i add don't show up even though they were just added and are in the library.

Sickbeard seems to have at some point in one of the more recent updates broken their use of the JSON API in XBMC. I can't get updates/notifications to work at all.

As for the things not showing up correctly in "Latest", Frodo shows "Latest" as file date, not date added to XBMC. If you want to change that, see here