Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Corkscrew posted:

holy gestures, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXThF5_l2Uc

No your reasoning sounds about right. It takes me about 8 hours to do smaller pork shoulders, not sure I've done any that small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Captainsalami posted:

Anyone have a nice and easy recipe for crockpot baked beans? I have this big bag of bacon ends in my fridge thats gonna go bad unless I use it up with something. I'm thinking something hearty with brown sugar and all that good bacony stuff but I've never worked with dry beans like that before.

Pick the beans over carefully to remove any stones or anything that isn't a bean. Wash 'em in cold water. Soak them overnight in cold water with a little salt (in a much bigger pot than you think you'd need, with twice as much water as beans, at least.)

Next day, pick literally ANY bean recipe you find on the 'net. They're all pretty much the same. They all look like this:

quote:

1-2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. onion powder
3/4 cup catsup
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
5-6 rashers slab (or thick) bacon

Render down your bacon some and discard some of the fat (depending on how fatty it is, if it's lean just dice it.) Take that list of ingredients (add Worcestershire because it's great) and mix all that poo poo up. Taste it. Add anything you like to it - but do be careful not to oversalt. You could add a little more mustard, prepared or not, garlic powder, paprika, liquid smoke or smoked salt, molasses, chiles or chile sauce, beer, vinegar, tomato...anything that tastes good. Taste the sauce as you go, thinking about what the effect will be on the final flavor. Don't get too crazy first time out, stick to basics. Maybe one or two extras to make it your 'own.'

Stick all that poo poo in the crockpot and put it on auto until the beans are completely cooked but not mush. Taste as it cooks, but don't overthink it, just monitor. Add a little more water or catsup if it's too thick. Stir once in a while but not too much, and correct any major errors if possible - but there won't be because you didn't go crazy with the cinnamon and poo poo, right?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I like the idea of baked beans but they're always too sweet for me. If I were going for a savory version, I'd skip the brown sugar and probably halve that amount of ketchup and replace with sriracha. It appears that navy beans are the typical "baked bean" bean...any beans out there that you think would not work as baked beans?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

The Midniter posted:

I like the idea of baked beans but they're always too sweet for me. If I were going for a savory version, I'd skip the brown sugar and probably halve that amount of ketchup and replace with sriracha. It appears that navy beans are the typical "baked bean" bean...any beans out there that you think would not work as baked beans?

Black-eyed peas probably not a good option. But I've used navy, northern, and kidney and had it turn out well.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I was googling random risotto recipes looking for ideas on what to put in my asparagus risotto tonight, and came across one that says "If cooking gluten-free, use gluten-free stock."

...what? Isn't stock usually gluten free anyway? O_o

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

jkk posted:

I was googling random risotto recipes looking for ideas on what to put in my asparagus risotto tonight, and came across one that says "If cooking gluten-free, use gluten-free stock."

Crap stock can be thickened with wheat flour.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm doing a big shop this weekend, so I'll probably report back to What Did You Cook Last Night at some point soon with my latest kitchen disaster.

Also, I've tried to cook falafel a few times. Sometimes it works but sometimes the patties just won't stick together and it turns into a mess of burnt chickpea grits in the pan. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. This is the recipe I've been using.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 12, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Happened to me when I wanted to cook falafels.
My other half usually does tuna and potato patties, and told me to piss off after my first attempt as they were breaking apart when I tried frying them. While I was banished they added breadcrumbs and an egg which they normally due with the tuna and potato patties, then the falafels held together fine.
I'm sure there's a trick in making them that you can do without the egg, and I'm sure it works for people that know exactly the right mixture consistency etc, but it wouldn't suprise me if the answer was just to deep fry though. You notice in that recipe they want you to flatten 2" balls and fry in 2" of oil. I'd rather use an egg and/or breadcrumbs and fry in a pan than deep fry though, as I'm not vegan and rather have an egg than the expense/mess/calories of deep frying.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 12, 2013

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm doing a big shop this weekend, so I'll probably report back to What Did You Cook Last Night at some point soon with my latest kitchen disaster.

Also, I've tried to cook falafel a few times. Sometimes it works but sometimes the patties just won't stick together and it turns into a mess of burnt chickpea grits in the pan. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. This is the recipe I've been using.

Falafel must be made from ground raw chickpeas. Thats why they are not coming out properly.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Psychobabble posted:

Falafel must be made from ground raw chickpeas. Thats why they are not coming out properly.

Really? Never seen a recipe that said to use dried raw chickpeas.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Are you verifying the cooking oil temp? A similar problem can be had with deep frying tofu. If your temp is too low it wont form the structural crust on the outside that will keep it all together and it will cause the falafels/tofu to disintegrate into the oil.

Psychobabble posted:

I, too, have never seen this.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Hey so I bought a 7 quart stand mixer cause it was on sale, what are some uses for it I might not think of?

Right now my ideas are like

Bread
Cake, brownies, cookies, etc
Frosting
Egg nog
Meringue
Biscuits/dumplings

And then I'm out. What's some poo poo I can use this for that is hackish or something?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Hey so I bought a 7 quart stand mixer cause it was on sale, what are some uses for it I might not think of?

Bread
Frosting
Egg nog
Meringue
Biscuits/dumplings

And then I'm out. What's some poo poo I can use this for that is hackish or something?

Ice cream with Liquid N2 or dry ice.

You really shouldn't be making biscuits/dumplings in a mixer, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

signalnoise posted:

Bread
Frosting
Egg nog
Meringue
Biscuits/dumplings

Get a grinder attachment and make your own ground beef for amazing burgers or ground pork and spices for sausage!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Get a grinder attachment and make your own ground beef for amazing burgers or ground pork and spices for sausage!

This is for real. I did it the first time a year or so ago and now I will never, ever, ever buy ground beef again.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Breaky posted:

Cure it in the fridge overnight and taste some tomorrow. I bet that fixes it.

yeah that's one of those dishes that I think is better overnight in the fridge.

Related, but I'm making a pot this weekend... I remembered it being talked about in here, but a couple people use pickled ham in this right?? What do you do with it? Like you don't brown it right just toss it in at some point?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

GrAviTy84 posted:

Ice cream with Liquid N2 or dry ice.

You really shouldn't be making biscuits/dumplings in a mixer, though.

Biscuits probably yea but dumplings... man I want gluten as gently caress dumplings

Time to look into what attachments there are for a cuisinart

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Fo3 posted:

Really? Never seen a recipe that said to use dried raw chickpeas.
When I make falafel I use raw chickpeas soaked overnight (but not cooked). That might help.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I finally got around to buying some oxtail and I'm going to go with soup for something hard to gently caress up. There is hardly any meat on them though. Is getting pretty much no meat and all fat and bone common? Not that I'm complaining too much but I've seen some photos here that have way more meat

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Where do you guys get good vanilla bean pods? How long can they keep, and would they "survive" an eighteen hour flight across the lower 48 and halfway across the Pacific?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
eBay, unsure, probably pretty well if you keep them sealed up in something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

THE MACHO MAN posted:

yeah that's one of those dishes that I think is better overnight in the fridge.

Related, but I'm making a pot this weekend... I remembered it being talked about in here, but a couple people use pickled ham in this right?? What do you do with it? Like you don't brown it right just toss it in at some point?

I've only used smoked ham hock, salt pork or sausage when I bother adding meat to my red beans.

This is just a guess, hopefully someone else can fill in but I'd imagine for a pickled ham maybe put 3/4 of the ham in while it slow cooks and mince up / brown 1/4 of it and throw in during the last hour or less of cooking. You'll get a good browned flavor from the ham but I get the feeling that if you threw it in at the beginning it would get overwhelmed and the flavor would be pretty subdued.

Scott Bakula posted:

I finally got around to buying some oxtail and I'm going to go with soup for something hard to gently caress up. There is hardly any meat on them though. Is getting pretty much no meat and all fat and bone common? Not that I'm complaining too much but I've seen some photos here that have way more meat

I'm curious about this as well. Everytime I see oxtails on sale they are maybe less than 5-10% meat. I still use them occasionally in slow cooked stews etc to give me a good velvety texture, but I've found that switching over to a pigs foot works even better.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of cuts are best for grinding in meat? I know not to grind tenderloin, but is ground (cheapest thing possible) going to be noticeably worse than any other cut?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

jkk posted:

A lot of cheap products thicken with wheat flour, things you'd normally never use wheat in.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I would like a cookbook recommendation. I've been learning to cook and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, and I'd like to have a cookbook full of interesting recipes to try. To that end, I'd like someone to recommend me a cookbook on German food, either main dishes or desserts. I absolutely love German food and there's a lot of family recipes that are vaguely German, but I'm more interested in authentic German recipes. Anyone have a good recommendation?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

baquerd posted:

What kind of cuts are best for grinding in meat? I know not to grind tenderloin, but is ground (cheapest thing possible) going to be noticeably worse than any other cut?

Yup. What you want is fat + flavor. There are a few cuts that have both; a brisket used to be a great choice, but they are more expensive now that they are more popular.
There's no reason NOT to grind a tenderloin other than the price and that it would need more fat, usually, to make a good burger.
I use chuck. Chuck tastes really good and has about the perfect amount of fat, in my opinion.
If you can find inexpensive sirloin, then use that but it is usually a little too lean, so you want to mix in some fatty chuck -or even bacon. I do that sometimes and it's awesome.
Sirloin really has some of the best beef flavor of any cut of beef. It's only inexpensive because it's hard to make it really tender. Grinding it into mince makes it tender.

I tried short rib recently and it was a little too "livery" tasting for my liking, but you might like it.

Some people swear by oxtail. I've never tried it, but I do know that it's cheap enough you could experiment with it but I'm pretty sure it's way too fatty to use on its own.

Short answer: pick a nice marbled chuck roast to start. If it's not flavorful enough for you, then try introducing some more flavorful cuts like hanger steak, skirt, short rib, etc.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

When I make falafel I use raw chickpeas soaked overnight (but not cooked). That might help.

Yeah this is how I've done it too and they turn out great. When I have shortcutted and used canned chickpeas that are already cooked the texture wasn't as good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Very Strange Things posted:

There's no reason NOT to grind a tenderloin other than the price and that it would need more fat, usually, to make a good burger.

Tenderloin isn't very flavorful. It's soft and tender and that's the end of it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Azathoth posted:

I would like a cookbook recommendation. I've been learning to cook and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, and I'd like to have a cookbook full of interesting recipes to try. To that end, I'd like someone to recommend me a cookbook on German food, either main dishes or desserts. I absolutely love German food and there's a lot of family recipes that are vaguely German, but I'm more interested in authentic German recipes. Anyone have a good recommendation?

I've cooked a few things from: http://www.amazon.com/Russian-German-Polish-Food-Cooking/dp/0681280085

I got it on supersale when Borders bookstores were closing, so far it's pretty good, and the Amazon reviews are good, too.

Edit: I suppose this book would be mostly East German food as well as Russian and polish so if you're looking for specifically just German, it may not be the best.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 13, 2013

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Azathoth posted:

Obligatory "Frau Lutz making spätzle":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6Ga9hMm4Y

About.com's page on traditional German recipes is a fine place to start. I also found a drat good recipe for the traditional Black Forest cake here on a regional website for the southern Black Forest area. I went over the About.com stuff and it's pretty authentic.

A lot of times recipes (especially the Black Forest cake and other desserts) are changed for American tastes on English-language websites (and in English cookbooks and American restaurants and bakeries). German desserts are not nearly as sweet as we're used to in the States. The traditional Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte calls for Kirschwasser (also called simply "Kirsch"), a clear brandy made from sour Morello cherries. Ordinary cherry brandy is sweet, and will change the flavor. You should be able to find kirsch in larger liquor stores or areas with a significant German population. Also, don't use Maraschino cherries, for the love of God.

I also found The German Cookbook by Mimi Sheraton, which is supposed to be authentic based on the reviews, but it was written in 1965 for the tastes of 1965 Germans (and some recipes may be harder to come by and rather bland as a result).

Some things you should definitely learn to make: Käsespätzle (cheesy noodles), Maultaschen (a kind of ravioli-esque thing), Frikadellen (German meatballs), Apfelkuchen (apple cake, it's amazing), the aforementioned Kirschtorte, sauerkraut, German potato salad, sauerbraten, currywurst (I'm only half-kidding) and if you're up to learning how to make a proper German mustard (really it's not difficult), go for it, because there is no meat that is not improved by German mustard.

e: When I've gotten some sleep I'll see about typing up some of my favorite recipes.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

This is exactly what I was looking for, particularly the set of recipes. My wife's family makes sauerbraten for special occasions and it is really good. Thank you very much!

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 13, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When I lived in LA, there was an awesome German beerhall that had great German food... I miss that place! There are NO German restaurants in Boston. There is one good butcher/wurst maker on the North Shore (40 minutes away), but that's it.

My girlfriend's new coworker is a German immigrant, and he makes his grandmother's Rouladen once a week for the place they cook at (well, almost; his grandmother's original recipe used horsemeat). He sent her home with a sample, and it was fantastic!!! He was impressed enough with our home made kraut that he said he was willing to share the recipe, and when he does I will gladly share with you Goons.

EDIT:
Baked beans, here is a vegan version done in a crockpot.
http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2013/03/crock-pot-baked-beans.html

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 13, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love german food so much. I wish I had more recipes, but my grampa cooks by feel, and there's so many good german and polish restaurants around here I've never really bothered to hunt down cookbooks.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

First batch of ginger ale tasted alright but had a weird smell to it that a friend likened to "piss and vomit".

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?
I'm making Italian cream cake and they just came out of the oven, they're done but they seem pretty tender and kinda... flat? I don't have a ton of experience making cakes but the other cakes I've made have puffed up pretty significantly. They are soft & springy to the touch so they don't seem tough. Is it okay that they baked flat? Are they supposed to be that way or did I screw them up? I hope I am overreacting.

edit: on the plus side I won't have to cut them down to be even on top for stacking :toot:

Angstronaut fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 13, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is there any way to easily take the meat off oxtail because drat I made a lot of mess today

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cook it till it falls apart on its own.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well pulling the meat off took no effort but all the fat came with it and taking that off the meat caused the mess.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isn't the fat and connective tissue half the point of using oxtails?

E: round 2 of ginger ale (using this recipe instead of AB's because I didn't like the idea of straining out most of the flavor.) is rock hard after maybe 8 hours :wtc: Feels like my 70 psi bike tires.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Just following up about my adventures with Tamales.

For reference here is the recipe I used.

1 3/4 cups corn kernels pureed
3 1/2 cups masa harina for tamales mixed with 18oz hot water
8 ounces unsalted butter
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder

The kernels of corn gave the masa slightly better texture and flavor than just masa. I used frozen corn because of the time of year and the difficulty in getting good corn in my area, if I can find good corn in the future I would totally try it again, otherwise I don't think it is worth the added bother. It is interesting to note that the masa failed the float test miserably, but turned out light and fluffy in spite of it.

The only other interesting thing I did was peel my roasted peppers in a bowl of water and then use that to rehydrate the masa, it definitely added some nice flavors.