Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Elemennop posted:

Unless Mir has changed, from what I've seen, he has terrible, terrible striking defense for an elite fighter.

This is heavyweight

quote:

I'm too lazy to actually research his fights,

Then I recommend not commenting

quote:

but looking it up on fightmetric,

A bad decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Elemennop posted:

Unless Mir has changed, from what I've seen, he has terrible, terrible striking defense for an elite fighter. I'm too lazy to actually research his fights, but looking it up on fightmetric, his striking defense is something around 40% compared to Cormier's 70%. That may be product of Mir being TKO'd in his couple of losses in his career, but even Roy Nelson has a higher striking defense and he lets people tee off on his head.

Cormier also hasn't hasn't fought the same level as fighters as Mir has or really any striking oriented fighters like Mir has

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
I admit my failures, but I'm not about to start breaking down tape of Frank Mir for fun.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
You should though because every one of Mir's fights in the UFC (except for Cro Cop) own for one reason or another

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Elemennop posted:

I admit my failures, but I'm not about to start breaking down tape of Frank Mir for fun.

And that's fair enough. I don't think Frank's striking is so much worse than the other top guys at HW, though. Yeah Junior KO'd him but he's the best at KO'ing people in the division. He smoked Nogeuira once and got punched silly once. Other than that he's done pretty well for himself

He does have the ability to instantly lose that I wouldn't be surprised to see in a fight against anyone

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
$20 to win $248 on Mike Brown by TKO/KO at +1240

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

vainman posted:

$20 to win $248 on Mike Brown by TKO/KO at +1240

If he wins that's what will happen.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
That fightmetric also includes Mir's Carwin-delivered execution so I'm sure that inflates his "significant strikes received without defense" or whatever

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I put a free bet on Chael.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Elemennop posted:

Unless Mir has changed, from what I've seen, he has terrible, terrible striking defense for an elite fighter. I'm too lazy to actually research his fights, but looking it up on fightmetric, his striking defense is something around 40% compared to Cormier's 70%. That may be product of Mir being TKO'd in his couple of losses in his career, but even Roy Nelson has a higher striking defense and he lets people tee off on his head.

Small sample size alert. Daniel Cormier has had all of 2 fights against top competition, with 'top' being used loosely as this is the heavyweight division. Please do not bet based on MMA punchstats.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Thanks for the discussion guys. I'm still going to put some money on Mir because I think there's a possibility, but it's going to be in the area of :10bux:.

Edit: Confirmed - :10bux: on Mir, :10bux: on Bendo.

Grifter fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 20, 2013

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

willie_dee posted:

I put a free bet on Chael.

Probably the only bet anybody should put on Chael :(

Hexum
Jul 23, 2003

Elemennop posted:

Except for the Nog fighter Mir's fights have all owned you're a dummy

And the Nog fight at least ended awesome

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

vainman posted:

$20 to win $248 on Matt Brown by TKO/KO at +1240

Brown just bought me Bioshock Infinite.

Matt Browne is a cool dude

vainman fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 11, 2013

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't

vainman posted:

Matt Browne is a cool dude!

Nice pick man. Congrats.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i picked all 12

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

vainman posted:

Matt Browne is a cool dude!

Nice. I debated taking him via KO/TKO but just went him at +300 to win.

Also thought about taking Thomson via KO/TKO moments before the fight but didn't. Hard to be mad at a +1u night, but could have been nearly +30u between those 2. Oh well.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

i picked all 12

Goddamn

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

yeah you can imagine my anxiety when i'm watching benson henderson nearly lose a fight i honestly thought would have been incredibly one sided.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Marching Powder posted:

i picked all 12

That's kind of impressive.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Marching Powder posted:

i picked all 12

This is one of the most impressive things I've seen on these forums.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Marching Powder posted:

i picked all 12

While I enjoy laughing at you betting idiots, stuff like is Real Cool

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You're like an MMA Betting Unicorn.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Marching Powder posted:

i picked all 12

Goddamn, now imagine if you'd have bet a hundred bucks ($18750)

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
You should show off to some MMA journalism sites and get some e-fame. Lots of places wrote an article on it the last time that happened ($200 on a 12 fight parlay led to like $50k+)

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

i picked all 12

:stare:

The white whale

^^^It was a $50 parlay. Bookmaker gave him a temporary job as a spokesperson, like Jarrod from Subway

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
poo poo like that makes me feel like betting on MMA again.

l3ruce
Jul 7, 2006

I had a buck on Gil/Bendo to draw at +8000. I figured it would look similar to a Bendo/edgar fight.

syxxcowz
Jan 27, 2006

by angerbeet
1039 Jones wins by submission +123

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Leonard Garcia at -175 on 5dimes seems like a pretty good line considering that Cody Mckenzie has no real MMA skills other than his guillotine. I see Garcia brawling and getting a decision/TKO and Cody being unable to get the takedown he needs. Will post my bets for this weekend later.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MrSmokes posted:

Cody Mckenzie has no real MMA skills

MrSmokes posted:

Leonard Garcia

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's going to be so great when Leonard Garcia wins this fight and then loses on the scorecards.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Please also consider that McKenzie's guillotines probably land more often than Garcia's hooks

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Biafraid posted:

Please also consider that McKenzie's guillotines probably land more often than Garcia's hooks

We are talking about Cody McKenzie's striking defense here. This is like the exact opposite of the unstoppable force vs. immovable object paradox.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Where do you guys bet online in North America? I want to lose money this Saturday.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I use Bodog. I think it's blocked in the US though.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I use 5dimes.eu because they have lots of props. I'm not sure if it's legal if you're from the states, though.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
176526370-1 4/25/13 4:45pm $2.50 $271.25 Pending 3 Team Parlay
Pending 4/27/13 11:59pm UFC Fighting 1001 Chael Sonnen +700* vs Jon Jones
Pending 4/27/13 10:30pm UFC Fighting 1301 Vinicius Magalhaes +275* vs Phil Davis
Pending 4/27/13 10:00pm UFC Fighting 1401 Pat Healy +265* vs Jim Miller

Team Quest :getin:

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Lloyd Boner posted:

176526370-1 4/25/13 4:45pm $2.50 $271.25 Pending 3 Team Parlay
Pending 4/27/13 11:59pm UFC Fighting 1001 Chael Sonnen +700* vs Jon Jones
Pending 4/27/13 10:30pm UFC Fighting 1301 Vinicius Magalhaes +275* vs Phil Davis
Pending 4/27/13 10:00pm UFC Fighting 1401 Pat Healy +265* vs Jim Miller

Team Quest :getin:

all terrible bets, but good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Vinnie as an underdog is actually a pretty good bet imo