Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Azazell0 posted:

I've kinda wanted to buy the official DVD's for a while now, but the prices are out of this world. I remember people saying that Japanese DVD's tend to be very highly priced altogether, but nearly 100 $ for import? Geeeeez.

Then buy it bulk, you'll save in shipping! :getin: :retrogames:

You might want to check storefronts that deal in used DVD's like Rakuten.

edit: woop, new page, better create content:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/search?st=&tl=0&k=game+center+cx

Here's a quick search on Rakuten for GCCX, the DVD boxes seem reasonably priced. Obviously, you either have to buy Abe a case or buy the DVD's new to directly support the show if that's your intention. Myself I just enjoy physical stuff.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Azazell0 posted:

I remember people saying that Japanese DVD's tend to be very highly priced altogether, but nearly 100 $ for import? Geeeeez.

That's not even close to how bad it gets.

What a season of 24 used to cost in Japan: $241USD per season: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=FXBA-33007
Monty Python complete TV series: $300USD: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BP-397
Lord of the Rings Extended Trilogy on Blu-ray (I think the DVD equivalent is cheaper now but it was this much when it was new): $270: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PCXE-60023

This is a Japanese store that sells stuff at straight MSRP + shipping, there's no significant markup on their prices.

In all of these examples, these aren't collector's editions, these are (or were at some point) the only editions.

Then you get into anime. Buying this entire series on Blu-ray or DVD costs over two grand, basically costing about $20 per half-hour episode. If the Simpsons DVDs were priced equivalently based on length, they'd cost more than $400 a season.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
How much do you think it will cost me to import the Wreck It Ralph /Sugar Rush movie?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Depends on if you're hoping for DVD, Blu-ray, and/or Blu-ray 3D. Looks like pricing's a bit more sensible now at least as far as Disney goes: Tangled 3D used to be in the 7000-yen range (like $80 before shipping) but seems to be about half that now. I'd expect at least $50-$60 after all's said and done (shipping/customs). This is without going into the possibility of Japan-exclusive bundles, which would be a fairly large box and probably cost $150+ going by past releases.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

univbee posted:

Depends on if you're hoping for DVD, Blu-ray, and/or Blu-ray 3D. Looks like pricing's a bit more sensible now at least as far as Disney goes: Tangled 3D used to be in the 7000-yen range (like $80 before shipping) but seems to be about half that now. I'd expect at least $50-$60 after all's said and done (shipping/customs). This is without going into the possibility of Japan-exclusive bundles, which would be a fairly large box and probably cost $150+ going by past releases.

Ouch! I will have to think about it. Not as bad as I thought though. Japanese DVDs are crazy expensive to import.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I paid just under 5000 yen for the Scott Pilgrim Versus the World bluray. The Game Center CX box sets sometimes cost less than that for me when they're new...

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
In regards to GCCX Double Headers:
What episodes and games has he done a double header? I recall double headers from the Gargoyle's Quest, Tower of Babel, and the Space Hunter episodes. Am I missing any others?

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

joek0 posted:

In regards to GCCX Double Headers:
What episodes and games has he done a double header? I recall double headers from the Gargoyle's Quest, Tower of Babel, and the Space Hunter episodes. Am I missing any others?

If Season 1 counts, he did Yie Ar Kung Fu, Gradius and Track & Field in episode 9 and Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels in episode 10.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Adamant posted:

If Season 1 counts, he did Yie Ar Kung Fu, Gradius and Track & Field in episode 9 and Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels in episode 10.

I am not including season 1. I am also not counting the Chief Returns episode as it is a recovery episode for Arino.

Lik
Apr 8, 2013

Kachou ON!

Azazell0 posted:

I've kinda wanted to buy the official DVD's for a while now, but the prices are out of this world. I remember people saying that Japanese DVD's tend to be very highly priced altogether, but nearly 100 $ for import? Geeeeez.

Home media from Japan is expensive in general. I was very close to importing the DVDs way back before SA subbed them but I never went through with it cuz of the prices. I don't think I could enjoy the show without knowing the jokes. SO happy SA has been subbing them for us.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

SuperMarrio posted:

Three things: That survey gunstarheroes made was pretty drat cool, but I honestly feel that Quiz my Angel got absolutely robbed. Aside from Milons Secret Castle & Quest of Ki, thats one I always go back to. Those three (along with a few others) have become my sweetest lullaby.

As gaming can be a strongly personal hobby, so too are personal preferences for favorite episodes. As strongly as you argue for Quiz My Angel and the like, I argue for Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Mega Man 3, and Wrecking Crew.

It's a testament to the diversity of the series (even stretching into some RPG territory with the latest Nintendo specials) that there's such a wide span of games to choose from. Somewhere in there, you're going to find the games you struggled with yourself as a kid, and share in Arino's triumph.

(Wow. That sounded cheesy as all hell. Obviously, I need another drink.)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I haven't yet figured out on any favorite episode(s). They're all pretty fun and funny. Still my favorite part of the whole thing so far is in "Catch a Copy" where they said "Pleasure to meet you" after Nakayama just constantly stares into the camera.

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 22, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

NBHS posted:

As gaming can be a strongly personal hobby, so too are personal preferences for favorite episodes. As strongly as you argue for Quiz My Angel and the like, I argue for Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Mega Man 3, and Wrecking Crew.

It's a testament to the diversity of the series (even stretching into some RPG territory with the latest Nintendo specials) that there's such a wide span of games to choose from. Somewhere in there, you're going to find the games you struggled with yourself as a kid, and share in Arino's triumph.

I had been avoiding battletoads forever because I figured it'd be like SMW/Yoshi's Island and I found most the 2 parters I watched to be boring. Due to that survey I decided to check it out and holy poo poo it was probably one of hhe ones I've laughed the most at. I think my favorite still is Golgo 13 or Densha De Go.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

flyboi posted:

I had been avoiding battletoads forever because I figured it'd be like SMW/Yoshi's Island and I found most the 2 parters I watched to be boring. Due to that survey I decided to check it out and holy poo poo it was probably one of hhe ones I've laughed the most at. I think my favorite still is Golgo 13 or Densha De Go.

A lot of the reason Battletoads is more watchable than other, more beatable games, is that he manages to actually clear the speed bike levels, so most of the episode(s) are parts people haven't actually seen. I know I hadn't, at least.

Densha de Go is definitely one of the better episodes if nothing else than for the sheer craziness of a game based on operating a train correctly provides.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Battletoads is easily my favorite episode.

I think an episode is most fun when it has variety, where it's difficult but Arino is still enjoying it, and when Arino doesn't get stuck on one part for ridiculously long, and Battletoads hits all of those.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Battletoads is one of my favorite episodes, but my personal favorite is the original Lemmings episode. Just watching Arino figure out the levels, that look of happiness on his face when he figures it out (followed by the lightbulb graphic above him), and my own enjoyment of that game hits me in all the right spots.

I have to imagine watching Arino try The Lost Vikings would be fun for the same reason, or maybe Lemmings 2, or maybe even Prince of Persia 2.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I think Arino's enjoyment with Battletoads speaks volumes to how smartly designed that game really is. You can call it "hard," but I question anyone who calls it "bad," because there is some fun poo poo to do in that game. Do you have to work towards it? Yes. Does it pay off? Well, again, look at Arino's reaction, and our reaction to that reaction. I don't give Rare much credit in general, but Battletoads had some pretty good levels.

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

NBHS posted:

It's cheesy, but you're absolutely right. It's really my main defense of Milon's Secret Castle. And I'm with you on Wrecking Crew too.

Zain posted:

I haven't yet figured out on any favorite episode(s). They're all pretty fun and funny. Still my favorite part of the whole thing so far is in "Catch a Copy" where they said "Pleasure to meet you" after Nakayama just constantly stairs into the camera.

To Catch A Catch Copy is one of the best segments easily- the serious tone & presentation are perfect and I love how the show presents original ads for the game. What's with all the Barcode Gambler segment hate though? If the battle between Arnie & Rambo didn't have you biting your nails, I dont know what the hell is wrong with you.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
So, apologies on being late with the last part, but the final section of the survey, the staff!

Top 3:

3. Inoko Max
2. Nakayama

And of course...
1. Cameraman Abe

The Top Disliked:
3. AD Tsuruoka
2. Tanii
1. AD Watanabe

-The people outside the favorites were Toujima and Kibe
-The only real close person for disliked was Sasano, which was shocking.
-Abe had no votes against him in least favorite, the only cast member.

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012
I missed the survey, I guess... but for me, the worst segment was Singing About Whatever the Hell you Want. The premise had potential, but the lyrics sent in by viewers were godawful. A Waste of Color similarly had some potential, but too frequently featured games that were ports and/or had related games on other systems.

I like all the rest of them, but my favorites (as it is for many others) are To Catch a Catch-copy and the Tama-ge corners. I kinda wish they'd bring back more Industry-related segments, though.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

So, how many survey voters were from Norway?

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Watanabe most hated? Whaaaaaaat. Arino made so many jokes about her. :v: I'm also surprised about Sasano; he owns.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

gunstarheroes posted:

So, apologies on being late with the last part, but the final section of the survey, the staff!

That was a hard question to answer. Favorite because it's hard to imagine the show without most of them and least favorite since there really isn't a bad one. I picked Tsuruoka because I felt like he was the least memorable AD but I wouldn't mind having him back either.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

Adamant posted:

So, how many survey voters were from Norway?

Just Noyul Karmye.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

gunstarheroes posted:

Top 3:

3. Inoko Max
2. Nakayama

And of course...
1. Cameraman Abe

The Top Disliked:
3. AD Tsuruoka
2. Tanii
1. AD Watanabe

-The people outside the favorites were Toujima and Kibe
-The only real close person for disliked was Sasano, which was shocking.
-Abe had no votes against him in least favorite, the only cast member.
When you say 'the people outside the favorites' do you mean those are 4 and 5 or that they didn't have any votes for favorite at all?

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

Son Ryo posted:

When you say 'the people outside the favorites' do you mean those are 4 and 5 or that they didn't have any votes for favorite at all?

I'm sorry, that was terrible phrasing. They were close to the top 3. So yes, a sort of 4th and 5th (they tied)

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
Thanks for carrying out the survey, it's really interesting to hear what people like! Are you planning to release the raw data at all? It'd be pretty fun to play with and make graphs and whatnot :)

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
I'm not surprised to see Tsuruoka in the bottom 3, though I completely disagree with it.

Tsuruoka is my favorite AD, because he was useless in a way no other AD was. All of his classic moments (singing in 53 Stations, his mistake in Bikkuriman World, his near-mistake in the Quest of Ki live show, not knowing how the bone bridge worked in Bonk's Adventure, and probably others) were hilarious in a way no other AD before or since has replicated. Tsuruoka's ineptitude and mistakes are what made him the most entertaining AD.

I can only hope that Mendel Palace has him screwing something else up.

RetroDave
Nov 8, 2012

jyrque posted:

Then buy it bulk, you'll save in shipping! :getin: :retrogames:

You might want to check storefronts that deal in used DVD's like Rakuten.

edit: woop, new page, better create content:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/search?st=&tl=0&k=game+center+cx

Here's a quick search on Rakuten for GCCX, the DVD boxes seem reasonably priced. Obviously, you either have to buy Abe a case or buy the DVD's new to directly support the show if that's your intention. Myself I just enjoy physical stuff.

I wish I knew about Rakuten before I overpaid for the GCCX games on eBay.

I am tempted to buy some of those books. I'm definitely ordering the 2-game strategy guide.

Can anyone tell me something about the other books? Like the yellow covered one with Arino's picture or the plain black covered one? Is there anything worthwhile for someone who can't read Japanese?

My favorite episodes have always been the Japan-exclusive games that I've never seen or played before like Umihara Kawase and Densha De Go. I also love the trips and tamage.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

JfishPirate posted:

I can only hope that Mendel Palace has him screwing something else up.

I just want that episode so my OCD of having the first 12 season be complete can be over. Also, i have fond memories of that game as a kid, even though i refuse to play it to this day for fear of it not being good.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
From Arino's twitter:

"Shoot! I didn't even save!"

I feel your pain, Arino. This is one of my biggest gripes with the DS's design.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

From Arino's twitter:

"Shoot! I didn't even save!"

I feel your pain, Arino. This is one of my biggest gripes with the DS's design.

How are you guys doing that? I have monster hands and think the original XBox controller is just a little too small to be comfortable and I've never ejected the game I've been playing.

Also, anyone recognize what Arino is playing?

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

zari-gani posted:

This is one of my biggest gripes with the DS's design.

Much as I hear about that issue, it's never happened to me personally.

I could go on a right tear about the 3DSXL's stupidly placed volume slider, though. Really screws one up when playing, say, Soul Hackers. All of a sudden the volume cuts out and I think, "Oh, balls. I'm about to die."

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Random Stranger posted:

Also, anyone recognize what Arino is playing?

And yeah, I've had that problem carrying a 3DS in my pocket too. A nice side bonus of buying games digitally is that doesn't happen now. While were listing 3DS gripes I can't get over how low the sound is even on the XL. You have to wear headphones or be in a silent room to really hear anything out of the terrible speakers on the system.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I've never have had that happen to me, going back to the original fat DS. :psyduck:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
It happens most often when stored in the carrying bag (I use the Club Nintendo one for lack of anything else that fits it at the moment) and in a pocket or a purse, backpack, whatever. Or if you close the lid and grab it the wrong way... bleh.

It's not that it happens all the time, but MAN does it suck when it does. :sigh:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

How are you guys doing that?

Carrying it in my purse and having it accidentally bump something.

NBHS posted:

I could go on a right tear about the 3DSXL's stupidly placed volume slider, though.

I hate this too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

So you generally leave your 3DSes on and in sleep mode? Is there some benefit to that? I only have a DS lite, but I almost always just save and power down; an ejected game card would be no big deal assuming it didn't fall all the way out and get lost somewhere.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

So you generally leave your 3DSes on and in sleep mode? Is there some benefit to that? I only have a DS lite, but I almost always just save and power down; an ejected game card would be no big deal assuming it didn't fall all the way out and get lost somewhere.

Can't get streetpasses that way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
The most annoying part is that it's a problem Nintendo solved on the original Game Boy. Then they removed the physical lock AND made the slot spring loaded. Really smart.