Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Klaus Kinski posted:

What mods/fixes should I install if I want to give RE4 PC a go? Is there a big list of this stuff somewhere?

There are mods to make it look more like the Wii/GC version, but the biggest fix is to use a controller. Even with the fan patches, the mouse control is total poo poo. You should also install the official patch from Ubisoft, since it actually enables dynamic lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Or just get the "HD" rerelease on 360 or PS3. It's $20 I believe and downloadable. Just a thought.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Klaus Kinski posted:

What mods/fixes should I install if I want to give RE4 PC a go? Is there a big list of this stuff somewhere?

Well first of all install the official patch. The game is near unplayable without it. Then the core mods for a prettier RE 4 I'd say are the Enhanced Environments Complete mod, the Texture Patch by Albert 2.0, Enhanced Weapons mod pack, the Hi-res Eff/tpl Textures Replacement Pack for a better looking HUD and fonts as well as giving you the option of replacing button prompts to fit various gamepads and, if you can find them, download higher res encodes of the ingame cutscenes because the PC version has really low quality ones by default. The ENB series is optional, some swear by it but I think it makes the game look too bright in some areas and far too dark in other areas. There is a mouse look mod but it emulates control stick movement from a gamepad and feels really slow and off, you're better off just using a controller.

I recently just put myself through Resident Evil Survivor on the PS1. What an awful game, is Dead Aim better or worse? I'm tempted to skip it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well first of all install the official patch. The game is near unplayable without it. Then the core mods for a prettier RE 4 I'd say are the Enhanced Environments Complete mod, the Texture Patch by Albert 2.0, Enhanced Weapons mod pack, the Hi-res Eff/tpl Textures Replacement Pack for a better looking HUD and fonts as well as giving you the option of replacing button prompts to fit various gamepads and, if you can find them, download higher res encodes of the ingame cutscenes because the PC version has really low quality ones by default. The ENB series is optional, some swear by it but I think it makes the game look too bright in some areas and far too dark in other areas. There is a mouse look mod but it emulates control stick movement from a gamepad and feels really slow and off, you're better off just using a controller.

I recently just put myself through Resident Evil Survivor on the PS1. What an awful game, is Dead Aim better or worse? I'm tempted to skip it.

You can safely skip spin-off games like that because they don't really offer much other than another adventure in the RE-verse. Dead Aim is pretty crappy though, it's basically Gun Survivor 2. If you want a rail-shooter RE, then I would suggest Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles, which I believe are also not just on the Wii now anymore. As well, Darkside Chronicles at least goes into detail about Krauser's past when he worked with Leon prior to RE4.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Lunethex posted:

Dead Aim is pretty crappy though, it's basically Gun Survivor 2.

I couldn't disagree more-- it's an amazingly fun game as long as you have an actual lightgun to play it with. I still regret that I'll probably never get to finish the game since my copy of it got stolen and then I upgraded to an HDTV that doesn't work with the PS2's lightgun.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Son Ryo posted:

I couldn't disagree more-- it's an amazingly fun game as long as you have an actual lightgun to play it with. I still regret that I'll probably never get to finish the game since my copy of it got stolen and then I upgraded to an HDTV that doesn't work with the PS2's lightgun.

According to the instruction manual you can plug in a mouse, so when I get to it I'm going to try that. I'm playing through all the games in chronological order, as soon as I get that component cable for my Gamecube (so maybe never).

This reminds me, where in the timeline do the extra story bits in Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles take place? Same question for the hilariously expensive and apparently terrible Gaiden? There's kind of a vague period between 3 and 4 where a bunch of unimportant poo poo seems to happen and I want to play it in the right order for some reason.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

codenameFANGIO posted:

This reminds me, where in the timeline do the extra story bits in Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles take place? Same question for the hilariously expensive and apparently terrible Gaiden? There's kind of a vague period between 3 and 4 where a bunch of unimportant poo poo seems to happen and I want to play it in the right order for some reason.
They all occur before 4.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

They all occur before 4.

Right, I was just wondering if they happened in a specific order or what.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

codenameFANGIO posted:

Right, I was just wondering if they happened in a specific order or what.
Looking into it, the stuff with Leon and Krauser occurs before the stuff in Siberia with Jill and Chris. So play Darkside first.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

According to the instruction manual you can plug in a mouse, so when I get to it I'm going to try that. I'm playing through all the games in chronological order, as soon as I get that component cable for my Gamecube (so maybe never).

Darkside's Operation Javier takes place two years before Resident Evil 4 while the Fall of Umbrella in Umbrella Chronicles takes place one year before Resident Evil 4. As for Gaiden... that game isn't even canon but if you still want to play it then it's sometime after Resident Evil 3.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Looking into it, the stuff with Leon and Krauser occurs before the stuff in Siberia with Jill and Chris. So play Darkside first.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Darkside's Operation Javier takes place two years before Resident Evil 4 while the Fall of Umbrella in Umbrella Chronicles takes place one year before Resident Evil 4. As for Gaiden... that game isn't even canon but if you still want to play it then it's sometime after Resident Evil 3.

Thanks, guys, this is great. :)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Is there a PDF of the RE6 manual with PS3 controls? My friend picked it up from the bargain bin and I'm having trouble explaining how to do certain moves without a point of reference.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Resident Evil:Revelaitons Revelations is the good RE, right? I can safely pre-order?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Geight posted:

Is there a PDF of the RE6 manual with PS3 controls? My friend picked it up from the bargain bin and I'm having trouble explaining how to do certain moves without a point of reference.

I could be remembering this wrong, but isn't it on the PS3 disc itself? When you are in the XMC or whatever and have the disc highlighted to launch the game, try hitting triangle. I think you can access the manual that way.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

Geight posted:

Have you tried googling "Resident Evil 6 manual"? ;)
http://uk.ign.com/wikis/resident-evil-6/Game_Manual or
http://uk.ign.com/faqs/2012/resident-evil-6-game-manual-pdf-1226300

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

Resident Evil:Revelaitons Revelations is the good RE, right? I can safely pre-order?

Has to be better than RE6, at least.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

PureRok posted:

Or just get the "HD" rerelease on 360 or PS3. It's $20 I believe and downloadable. Just a thought.

Normally I'd just grab it on the xbox but MS's regional pricing system is loving stupid, it's priced at 200 SEK which is ~$30.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I just downloaded the Directors cut of RE1, does arrange mode just move the locations of items and enemies?

Also, the new soundtrack is just hilarious, it's so terrible. The original release had an amazing soundtrack, what the gently caress where they thinking?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Someone compared one of the tracks to that of a "retarded circus" coming to town.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Someone compared one of the tracks to that of a "retarded circus" coming to town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

You may be right there.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
As bad as I talk about the soundtrack, I think it does have a few good ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g8tnVtzyRY

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

This must be the result of some kind of bet about who can get the shittiest track into a game. The "retarded circus coming to town" is a pretty apt description of the series as a whole though.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Red Mundus posted:

It's the good one, the only worry is if they gently caress up the porting. God I hope they don't. Raid mode looks fun as hell. :pray:

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
This is probably my favorite one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yopPqUUGzsQ

It sounds so aloof, like a kid is getting in trouble.

Someone actually made these tracks. Someone put this together, sat back, and was like "Yeah. This is good."

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

limited posted:

It's the good one, the only worry is if they gently caress up the porting. God I hope they don't. Raid mode looks fun as hell. :pray:

It's on MT Framework so it's pretty much guaranteed the port will be good.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The best music ever produced in a video game, right here, fellas.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I have the dualshock directors cut and don't remember any of these tracks. I listened to some from the original OST and that's all I remember...

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
SIEGE mode was added to RE6 PC in the last patch. Just, FYI for those who play the PC version.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Operation Raccoon City is $13 for game + all DLC on steam right now. loving steam. Stealing all my money with it's good deals.

Len fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 26, 2013

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Len posted:

Operation Raccoon City is $13 for game + all DLC on steam right now. loving steam. Stealing all my money with it's good deals.

Almost tempted to get it. Anyone else still playing this on Steam? I remember a while back some guys got together in the thread to play OP:RC

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I stayed away from ORC due to bad word of mouth but then I ended up being one of those weird fuckers that adores RE 6 so for $13 gently caress it, I'm in.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Are there any enemies like the Dead Space Hunter or RE4's Regenerator in Revelations? I hate immortal enemies. :ohdear:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cyra posted:

I stayed away from ORC due to bad word of mouth but then I ended up being one of those weird fuckers that adores RE 6 so for $13 gently caress it, I'm in.

It's really not all that bad. It's not really a good game but it's quite a bit of fun. I got my money out of it for sure on 360 before my live expired. I never got to play any of the DLC stuff though so that's all new. I posted in the RE Steam thread a bit ago so you can all hit me up on steam and I'm game for some rounds.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm one of those people who was looking for some Raccoon City people. I'm still looking to play it. The last group I got with only got to chapter 3 I think before we never played again. Not sure what happened.

Feel free to add me on Steam.

E: Oh yea, it uses GFWL. I have the same account name on there.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 26, 2013

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Azran posted:

Are there any enemies like the Dead Space Hunter or RE4's Regenerator in Revelations? I hate immortal enemies. :ohdear:

There's at least one monster with lots of health that you end up fighting throughout several rooms, but I can't remember anything that doesn't die and stay dead.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Crowetron posted:

There's at least one monster with lots of health that you end up fighting throughout several rooms, but I can't remember anything that doesn't die and stay dead.

There's one big exception to that rule, but it only shows up three times: Ooze Rachel. You don't have to fight it more than once, though.

Revelations is an entire game built to mimic the "Lost in Nightmares" DLC from Resident Evil 5. If I had one big criticism of it at the time of its original release, it's that virtually everything in it on any difficulty is a bullet sponge and it doesn't have the same melee system as RE4/5/6. On an initial run, you should not be at all surprised if you're limping around from fight to fight with much less ammo than you'd prefer, although it does throw herbs at you every chance it gets.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wanderer posted:

There's one big exception to that rule, but it only shows up three times: Ooze Rachel. You don't have to fight it more than once, though.

Revelations is an entire game built to mimic the "Lost in Nightmares" DLC from Resident Evil 5. If I had one big criticism of it at the time of its original release, it's that virtually everything in it on any difficulty is a bullet sponge and it doesn't have the same melee system as RE4/5/6. On an initial run, you should not be at all surprised if you're limping around from fight to fight with much less ammo than you'd prefer, although it does throw herbs at you every chance it gets.

I'm wondering if that wasn't because they expected you to street pass ammo a lot. I figure that will get fixed in the port.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wanderer posted:

For some reason, I remembered the later encounters with that spoiler were only in Raid mode. I should replay Revelaitons sometime.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Also, while I'm thinking of it, let me talk about Revelations's plot, because it's bizarre.

Without delving into spoilers too much, the thing about Revelations is that it's a story about two guys working against each other with one of them doing his level best to make sure that the other guy doesn't realize that's what he's doing. The problem is that the plan he has for doing so explodes on the runway about ten minutes in and after that, everyone has to dance their asses off to make sure they get out in one piece. In a lot of plots like it, both sides are clever, patient chessmasters and carefully execute countermoves and backup plans all damned day; in Revelations, one side sucks at it and the other favors simple, direct solutions. Like firing improvised satellite lasers at people.

RE6 has a problem where it kind of makes sense in the end once you've played Ada's game and if you've found all the Serpent Emblems, since it shuffles a fair bit of crucial plot information off into the files. Revelations has a problem where it has a ton of moving parts and has a habit of waiting way too long for a given scene's payoff. We're not talking about Metal Gear Solid levels of climbing up its own rear end, and it's all self-contained within this game (all you need to know about Jill and Chris going in is that they are both acknowledged badasses), but the story's about ten times more complex than a game about shooting lamprey ooze monsters needed.

It's also the game that makes it really obvious that RE Earth is, moreso than previously acknowledged, well ahead on the technology curve. A big chunk of the game is set aboard a floating green-powered city that opened in 2004 and had its own geosynchronous solar collection satellite.

(Also, it involves Chris getting from the mountains of Finland to the middle of the Mediterranean Sea in an hour, but we don't talk about that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Boy howdy, ORC just runs like poo poo for me, and I'm on a Geforce 650M. Is there anything I can do to, y'know, make it not run like poo poo? Stuttering all day er' day no matter what I turn down.