Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sigma-X posted:

Considering how fast it is running and how much he is looking to get, spending some money on a TV ad seems surprisingly reasonable.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1869987317/wish-i-was-here-1

I will say there's a whole Comic-Con component, as my character's brother decides to enter a cohz-play contest to win the heart of a sexy young furry. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

The Machine posted:

This looks neat, but I don't own any idevices to play it on :( I kinda dig the presentation (SCIENCE!). If you release it for free, are you going to monetize it in any way, like ads? Unless you're just trying to get the game out there, which is cool too.

Also, you were $6 away from having a rad goal amount.

I feel kinda guilty excluding android - my summer project is learning to code android apps after this. It is going to be totally. I am considering limited ads or simple iap. The game isn't long, but some people might like unlocking the features right away. I don't want the game to depend on iap, or ads to disrupt the playability. If neither work it'll just go 100% free.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SaltyJesus posted:

The Jagged Alliance guys just posted their first update. I was quite skeptical about whether I should back this and for how much, however what they said is at least assuring that they seem to be taking the game in the right direction. Quoted in full below, bolding mine:

Cool stuff, it convinced me to at least back it at the game level. We'll see how the updates go, if I like I might increase it.

I have to say, JA: Flashback is probably the most exciting kickstarter for me in a long time. I was a little surprised by the instant negative reaction here, but hopefully by now people should realize that these guys don't have anything to do with the past failed attempts at reviving Jagged Alliance, and this one looks legit. These people are really passionate and care a ton about the original games.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

Shalinor posted:

A.N.N.E looks pretty neat (16-bit Metroidvania'y robot'y thing), but I'm not sure it'll hit $70k - and it always feels weird, to see stretch goals before even getting close to the base goal.

This looks absolutely amazing, I love the aesthetics, and a combination of Gradius and a Metroidvania would be just incredible.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I looked at the Divinity kickstarter and realized that the $65 Dragon Commander tier does come with two copies of Divinity when I thought it only had one. Then I was sad because it was sold out. Then a single space opened up, and I jumped on it. Now I feel like I'm overspending because I'm not used to preordering or spending more than $5 on a PC game.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I have to say, JA: Flashback is probably the most exciting kickstarter for me in a long time. I was a little surprised by the instant negative reaction here, but hopefully by now people should realize that these guys don't have anything to do with the past failed attempts at reviving Jagged Alliance, and this one looks legit. These people are really passionate and care a ton about the original games.

I'm not paying until they allow me to side with :ussr:

Armor-Piercing posted:

I looked at the Divinity kickstarter and realized that the $65 Dragon Commander tier does come with two copies of Divinity when I thought it only had one. Then I was sad because it was sold out. Then a single space opened up, and I jumped on it. Now I feel like I'm overspending because I'm not used to preordering or spending more than $5 on a PC game.

$65 is only there because they made a mistake. Stop fleecing Larian and add 30 bux you jerk :mad:

Congrats

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

RottenK posted:

$65 is only there because they made a mistake. Stop fleecing Larian and add 30 bux you jerk :mad:

Congrats
I know you were joking but they even added an identical $80 tier voluntarily later so at worst an extra $15 to soothe his conscience.

This has been quite the engaging kickstarter for me. Plenty of gameplay videos and coverage. It's cleared the most important stretch goals though it doesn't look like it's going to hit the final 1mil goal but though I'm sure they could do interesting things with NPC schedules and weather patters effecting spells it's no big loss to the overall game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

RottenK posted:

I'm not paying until they allow me to side with :ussr:

That was my first thought, which probably means I won't be pledging, because it certainly seems like they're into fighting the good capitalist fight. But I just want to enable Cuba 2, dammit! Perhaps they'll have a Red Alert-esque second campaign as a stretch goal if they get that far, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You've never been able to pick sides in JA, and that seems like an ambitious idea for a $350,000 kickstarter project.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Coldrice posted:

Just wanted to throw my small kickstarter at you guys

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1664072802/bitcrobes

It's a simple mobile game called bitcrobes. It's part game, part simulator. The goal is to evolve your microbe and survive against other microbes. It's my first game, built 100% on hackintosh

Hey your game looks great but I don't have any iOS devices :eng99: good luck!

Orzo posted:

What will the funds be used for?
Help make my dream a reality. With your help I can continue to market my the very Kickstarter you're pledging to on TV!

What the gently caress.

I read somewhere, I think on Zach Braff's facebook that the guy added a "large sum of money" from his own fund so he might have paid for ads or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Le0 posted:

Me too. This saddens me because it looks really fun.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Darkhold posted:

I know you were joking but they even added an identical $80 tier voluntarily later so at worst an extra $15 to soothe his conscience.

The only reason I upgraded my pledge to $95 is because I felt really bad after I learned about the $65 mistake. I am not very good with money :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:siren: Five hours left for the Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter :siren:

Get to one million or go broke trying.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I cannot believe how close Larian is to $1,000,000, given that a week ago $650,000 was starting to look dubious. If Twitch.tv puts the Livestream on the front page again... it might actually happen.

The live stream starts in an hour. These guys are great. Watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtby4YGKlO8

Graph removed, here's what it showed.
Funding: ~$875,000
Bellegar Facebook Encounters: 5.5
Phantom Forest Levels: 9.25

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 30, 2013

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Shalinor posted:

A.N.N.E looks pretty neat (16-bit Metroidvania'y robot'y thing), but I'm not sure it'll hit $70k - and it always feels weird, to see stretch goals before even getting close to the base goal.

This needs more buzz because it looks absolutely brilliant. I just backed it and so should you!

Trailer: http://youtu.be/FXWMIhH5EQ4

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I cannot believe how close Larian is to $1,000,000, given that a week ago $650,000 was starting to look dubious. If Twitch.tv puts the Livestream on the front page again... it might actually happen.
Agh, so close!

Come on people, give Larian enough money to do NPC schedules. That's the final piece of the Ultima 7 puzzle!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got mentioned in the stream for knowing that uninstalling Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor could wipe your hard drive.

The greatest moment of my life.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don't really like the sound of the final Divinity stretch goal, just seems like needless complications and time wasters. Didn't think I'd be rooting against these guys getting money...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't have a ton to kick in but I at least gave to the "Get the game and soundtrack" level, game looks really good and I've been on the fence a bit. Hopefully they get the usual last minute surge and get up to that last tier.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

AllisonByProxy posted:

This needs more buzz because it looks absolutely brilliant. I just backed it and so should you!

Trailer: http://youtu.be/FXWMIhH5EQ4
I've been pretty much ignoring this but finally took a minute to watch the trailer. Wow! Okay, i'm in.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I saw there were only two 25$ slots left on the Divinity kickstarter and said "what the hell" and backed it. I have never played or seen a Divinity game. Help what have i become

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Shalinor posted:

Okay yeah, I'm interested in this one. I really hope they get the PSN/Vita award.

(they should swap it with the Ouya one, why would you even put an Ouya stretch goal before a Vita one considering the Vita install base is much larger?)

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

I saw there were only two 25$ slots left on the Divinity kickstarter and said "what the hell" and backed it. I have never played or seen a Divinity game. Help what have i become

They're freeing up as people jump into higher tiers. I just grabbed one myself.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

cytoc posted:

They're freeing up as people jump into higher tiers. I just grabbed one myself.
Dang! Finished just 60k shy of the last goal.

... but who cares, really, because it'll be an awesome game as-is.

EDIT: VV Nice.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 26, 2013

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Shalinor posted:

Dang! Finished just 60k shy of the last goal.

... but who cares, really, because it'll be an awesome game as-is.

With paypal and fundraising from two RPGS sites it's at 995,000K.

Sven said the last stretch goal is in. Paypal should take care of it as it extends to May 10th.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Phlegmish posted:

I got mentioned in the stream for knowing that uninstalling Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor could wipe your hard drive.

The greatest moment of my life.

I thought it only deleted the parent directory where it was installed, so program files if you put it in the default location. You'd have to install it to your root directory to wipe the whole drive or something, though I guess some people do that.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

More money is obviously better, but I'll be honest in that 'NPC schedules' is not exactly a feature I have any enthusiasm about. In most games it just means that people aren't where I expect them to be when I swing by for a chat or to turn in a quest. Best case you have a map marker pointing to them and it just adds a few more seconds of running around town, worst case they up and vanish behind locked doors at arbitrary times and you have to fiddle with the clock to make them show up again. NPC behavior is usually so far from human anyway that making them go from point A to point B at 6:00 every night just makes them seem MORE robotic, so it doesn't help with immersion at all.

I'm not saying it couldn't be a neat feature if well done, I've just never seen it implemented in a game in a really compelling way.

Maybe because they almost made it, they'll be able to cram in weather effects and moon phases. Those seem more interesting to me anyway.

E: Oh, well if it's in with Paypal then whatever! :woop:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Squibbles posted:

I thought it only deleted the parent directory where it was installed, so program files if you put it in the default location. You'd have to install it to your root directory to wipe the whole drive or something, though I guess some people do that.
This was back in the days where Windows 95 was still not a huge gaming focus, so yeah, people tended to just install in root C: out of habit. You would still play the odd game that ran in DOS and required autoexec.bat et al hand tweaking. I think most of us had a "D:/Games" folder at least (and losing that would have been catastrophic enough), but some people, root C:, and then... boom.

EDIT: Huh, Wikipedia says 2001, but I could have sworn it was more like '97/'98.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 26, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Shalinor posted:

This was back in the days where Windows 95 was still not a huge gaming focus, so yeah, people tended to just install in root C: out of habit. You would still play the odd game that ran in DOS and required autoexec.bat et al hand tweaking. I think most of us had a "D:/Games" folder at least (and losing that would have been catastrophic enough), but some people, root C:, and then... boom.

EDIT: Huh, Wikipedia says 2001, but I could have sworn it was more like '97/'98.

D:? Wow, Ms. 1% can afford a second hard drive. I bet it even was like a 2GB HDD.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Shalinor posted:

You're thinking of Myth II, a stategy game developed by Bungie. The early versions of this wiped the entire hard drive when it was uninstalled. Funny that two unrelated games with Myth in the title had such similar bugs!

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
An often overlooked bug for Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor was it only let you install to your default installation folder. Trying to change it during installation didn't do a thing. This was a hard coded bug they couldn't fix without hacking together a customer installer.

The installer still checked your default drive for space even after you selected the different drive and they said they'd never be able to change this. So if like me you had tons of room on a D: partition but only had windows on a small C: partition you were out of luck.

The only fix for this was changing the default install location in your registry install the game and change it back.

First time that installing a game was so hard that I had lost interest in playing the game by the time I figured out how to do it. This was a time where every game purchase was something I had to budget for. I still haven't played a single minute of that game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Squibbles posted:

Why can't you let me have this?

(it was actually something I'd read on SA and happened to remember, I never played Pool of Radiance :v:)

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Le0 posted:

Oh I'm torn. I'm really nervous about spending too much dev time porting to android. I have gotten a lot of questions about it though

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Coldrice posted:

Oh I'm torn. I'm really nervous about spending too much dev time porting to android. I have gotten a lot of questions about it though

Just put it out for iOS then go from there, man. I'll wait.

we're used to it

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Wendell posted:

I don't really like the sound of the final Divinity stretch goal, just seems like needless complications and time wasters. Didn't think I'd be rooting against these guys getting money...

This is how I felt with Torment. Playing house is dumb.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Coldrice posted:

If you have to choose between iOS and Android as an indie, go Android. That's where the larger share of your money will come from. That said, you still stand a good chance of bombing on both platforms, you just might bomb slightly less on Android ;)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Dear God: Please make this fail.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Toffile posted:

They're asking for $250,000. It's pretty much guaranteed they're gonna fail.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Toffile posted:

No gently caress-pillow? Nuts to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

We hope to be a revolutionary title in the same sector as Nanny Mania 2*.

*A game that actually exists