Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Never mind, Phiggle helped me get it working reasonably well.

So, here's Level 1 of Contra Hard Corps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

corps is pronounced core, not corpse.

So it's CONTRA: "HARD CORE"

And since the Hard core help the less core we will go to the Research centre.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 27, 2013

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
Yeah, 'Hard Corps' is a pun to sound like 'Hardcore' (Not that it's clear for a non-native speaker)

I say we go and help out the guys in the research center. I'm confident the game will let us get Dead Eyed Joe later anyway.

BottledBacon fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 27, 2013

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Dectilon posted:

FYI there's a legit safe spot right under the eye of that giant robot that jumps in from the background in the first level. If you stand centered right under the red eye, the fire columns will completely miss you, and since you're firing straight up into his face you deal fast enough damage that he doesn't even get to the car throwing move.

I think FANG is my favorite character because his moves are so damaging and as long as you stick to the flame thrower or the spread gun for non-bosses, he clears the screen for most of the game. Definitely takes some getting used to when fighting bosses though, because like you said, the fire punch and the hadoken punch both root you in one spot. On the other hand, if you know where the safe spots are for each boss, his weapons deal so much damage that you can take them down pretty quickly.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
You haven't played Shattered Soldier? It and Gradius V are tied for my favorite PS2 games. Which works out great because my PS2 can't read their discs any more. Thanks for the blue-backed CDs, Konami. :(

GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

Enough expository banter! It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men!

:siren: Checking out the characters.

Contra Force is a run-and-gun-style shoot-'em-up video game released by Konami for the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1992 in North America only. It is a spin-off of the Contra series and the third game in the series released for the NES. In contrast to previous Contra titles, which featured sci-fi elements, Contra Force centers around a modern task force who must fight human terrorists instead.

Aside from the name, Contra Force has little in common with other games in the Contra series. The familiar weapon pickups have been replaced by a Gradius style upgrade system that includes 2 unique weapons for each of the 4 characters. Contra Force also allows the you to switch between the characters at any time, which can be very handy when one is low on lives. It also includes a very barebones allied AI by allowing you to assign one of the 3 unused characters a formation command, though it only lasts a short duration and it's pretty incompetent.

So what's the difficulty like?

While not as fast and frantic as Contra or Contra 3, Contra Force relies more on enemy placement and platforming, resulting in a fairly high difficulty.

Are you going to speed-run it or what?

No, but I will beat it without dying. I also plan on showcasing each character in a separate video.

MORE CONTRA!?

Yes, more Contra. They're good, they're difficult, they're great for this thread.

GmanTheTank fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 30, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I've never played this so I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty certain your aspect ratio is wrong on the video. I think it's stretched wide, a lot of things that look like they should be circles are ovals.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

homeless poster posted:

FYI there's a legit safe spot right under the eye of that giant robot that jumps in from the background in the first level. If you stand centered right under the red eye, the fire columns will completely miss you, and since you're firing straight up into his face you deal fast enough damage that he doesn't even get to the car throwing move.

I think FANG is my favorite character because his moves are so damaging and as long as you stick to the flame thrower or the spread gun for non-bosses, he clears the screen for most of the game. Definitely takes some getting used to when fighting bosses though, because like you said, the fire punch and the hadoken punch both root you in one spot. On the other hand, if you know where the safe spots are for each boss, his weapons deal so much damage that you can take them down pretty quickly.

Problem is that Fang is really, really tall. It makes it rather hard to avoid some attacks you previously would have had no trouble with.
Browny, by comparison, is by far the easiest character not only because of how short he is, but also because he gets two homing weapons with absurd power compared to the others.

Anyway, I say we go to help the Research Center because we can't be letting those villains get their hands on...uh... research material. Yeah, that stuff.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

In the video you said that the game was running super slow but it wasn't the recording software causing it. Are you sure about that? I played this on my old NES as a kid and I don't remember the game running at 10 FPS. I'm pretty such much of the challenge is gone when the game is running at 1/3 speed. If it isn't the recording software, might it be the emulator settings you're using?

HGH posted:

Problem is that Fang is really, really tall. It makes it rather hard to avoid some attacks you previously would have had no trouble with.
Browny, by comparison, is by far the easiest character not only because of how short he is, but also because he gets two homing weapons with absurd power compared to the others.

Anyway, I say we go to help the Research Center because we can't be letting those villains get their hands on...uh... research material. Yeah, that stuff.

You'd think that, but I actually played through the game last night on a lark with everyone talking about it in this thread, using FANG, and his sprite still avoids attacks that might seem like they should clip him. For example in one path you wind up going through an infinite hallway fighting a robot boss that has several different forms, and at one point the robot is crawling on the ground and firing a steady stream of missiles at you. If you cling to the ceiling and hang at the back edge of the screen (so the scrolling of the screen is moving you) the rockets can only go so high, and it looks like they're colliding with FANG's feet, but you don't take a hit.

There's other things too where it looks like something should collide with his sprite, but for whatever reason it doesn't register. Brownie is definitely shorter, but I almost feel like there's some kind of sprite equivalency going on where despite how tall they're drawn, the characters are all the same real height.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 27, 2013

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Dectilon posted:

Good thing I decided to use Ray. I guess if I still uploaded I'd be playing independently of all this, unless you want to make a more organized plan of action.

I thought of using Fang cuz of that alleged "expert" pedigree, but I went for Ray since Fang's weapons are brutal, while Ray's are...pretty understated by comparison.

Twisted Turkey
Aug 28, 2012

Dectilon posted:

You should go to the Research Center next.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Maybe you're playing the PAL version of Contra Force? Never played it myself, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind when a game seems weirdly slow.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh my lord this thread really has gone Contra crazy. That, plus the Contra 3 race I was part of last week, made me go back to Contra 4. On Hard mode. I think it might be my favorite Contra game, and I'm strongly considering popping a no-death Hard Mode run of the game in here.

Also someone's playing Contra Force for this thread? I have not heard kind words about that one. You have my sympathies.

Oh yeah, and for Hard Corps, take on the research center next.

FreezingInferno fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 27, 2013

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Jumping on the Research Center bandwagon. Save the helpless!

GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

Enough expository banter! It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men!

homeless poster posted:

In the video you said that the game was running super slow but it wasn't the recording software causing it. Are you sure about that? I played this on my old NES as a kid and I don't remember the game running at 10 FPS. I'm pretty such much of the challenge is gone when the game is running at 1/3 speed. If it isn't the recording software, might it be the emulator settings you're using?

It's not the recording software because it runs s;ow;y even when I run my practice rounds. I had the opposite experience, if I remember correctly, because I don't remember it running much faster on my old NES.

I'll try to mess with the settings to see what happens, though.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

homeless poster posted:

I was curious about this too. but it seems to run just as slow in other playthroughs on youtube, so it's probably just a byproduct of lovely programming.

Another weird thing about the game itself is that it wasn't even meant to be a Contra spinoff, but an unrelated game called "Arc Hound". Konami then slapped on the Contra name for the US release and canceled the Japanese release altogether.

edit: The aspect ratio is definitely hosed up in that video though.

Zellus fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 27, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Good god you need to fix the aspect ratio on that.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
If anything needs to be said about Hard Corps first stage, it's that the music is amazing.

Also, that opening sequence is like Contra 3 on steroids.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yes, Contra Force also runs terribly on actual hardware.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Great job on the VVVVVV LP, Phiggle, you showed everything off nicely and your commentary was fun to boot :).

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Tsym posted:

Fun fact: Cave actually removed the two safespots in the True Final Boss's first two attacks for the 1.5 version release, but put them back in (or forgot about them) for the Black Label release. On the other hand, they added in a True True Final Boss in the Black Label release along with a bunch of other mechanics, which you can see here. And before you ask, that is actually intentional slowdown. Still a monstrosity of an attack though, because it's just plain impossible without sufficient resources.

:staredog:

Is it wrong if I see this and I have no idea how you could possibly do this ever? Because gently caress.

Dark Cohomology
Nov 4, 2009

Tsym posted:

Fun fact: Cave actually removed the two safespots in the True Final Boss's first two attacks for the 1.5 version release, but put them back in (or forgot about them) for the Black Label release. On the other hand, they added in a True True Final Boss in the Black Label release along with a bunch of other mechanics, which you can see here. And before you ask, that is actually intentional slowdown. Still a monstrosity of an attack though, because it's just plain impossible without sufficient resources.

loving hell, that video is nuts. I mean, I've seen bullet hell shmup bosses before, but that boss is well beyond anything I've seen before. It might sound weird, but I kinda wish a boss like that appeared in a game in a different genre; bullet hells are a bit inaccessible, and they remind me more of Dance Dance Revolution than an action game.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Nice job, Dectilon - I always thought Browny was "EZ" mode in Hard Corps because he's so short some attacks won't even hit him and his yo-yo attack is so damaging it downright wrecks bosses. I don't think I've ever used Fang much because he always seemed kind of awkward to use. This game rocks. :allears:

The Proofreader
May 24, 2010

Ninja Gaiden, released in Japan as 'Ninja Ryuukenden', is a sidescrolling platforming action game that was ported to the NES in 1989. It is infamous for a steep difficulty curve that becomes something of a brick wall very suddenly around the endgame. It's actually a lot like the NES Castlevania games, but more fast paced.

Wait, port?

Well, sorta. Ninja Gaiden was released in the arcades, but was just a side-scrolling beat-em-up that has more in common with Double Dragon than anything. It is also Kinda lovely. This game's great, though!

How hard are we talking here?

Pretty hard. About halfway through Act II they get bored and start spawning fast enemies behind you, and placing enemies near ledges you need to get to and try to insta-kill you off of a cliff. Enemy placement in general is constructed to gently caress you over to a magnificent degree, and a fair amount of memorization is pretty much required to get through it. The last couple levels are considered to be basically impossible.

This isn't gonna be a pro run, by any means, but I played this game every day from age four to age eleven, when I, err... finally beat it. I'm running on pure muscle memory.

I highly recommend it, though, it's basically my favorite game ever.

Let's get started!

Act I: This is what Japan thinks America is like.
Act II: How long was I out?
Act III: The Bad News Birds

The Proofreader fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 29, 2013

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Level 2B, where the boss has as much fun as we are.

Browny is definitely easy mode (as easy a mode as you can get in this game). He even has a double jump!

CyanideMonkey
Jun 6, 2004
I'll cut the words from your mouth, you'll never speak my name again.

Tsym posted:

That is actually DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu, the game that was released after Daioujou. DaiFukkatsu is unfortunately really confusing to watch from a casual spectator's standpoint because of how complicated the power/bomb/hyper system is. Without getting into the nitty gritty, just watch the player's bomb stock at the lower left.

I remember seeing the touhou games being played and being astounded at the skill of people who could play those on insanity mode. This, however, is just INSANE.
Someone needs to LP this just for the sake of my brain.

That final attack.... :psyboom:
How does the game not crash?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Contra Hard Corps

Level 1: Ray
Level 1: Fang

Level 2A: Ray
Level 2A: Fang

Level 3: Ray

Level 3: Fang

Level 4: Ray

Level 4: Fang

Level 5b: Ray

Level 5a: Fang

Also, give this song a listen. It only plays in these paths for about 10 seconds and it's woefully underplayed.

Level 5B: Fang

Level 5A: Ray

Level 2B: Ray

Level 2B: Fang

Level 3E: Ray

Level 3E: Fang

Level 4C

Level 5D: Ray
Level 5D: Fang

Level 6D: Ray
Level 6D: Fang

Level 5C: Ray
Level 5C: Fang

Level 6C: Ray
Level 6C: Fang

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 19, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

CyanideMonkey posted:

I remember seeing the touhou games being played and being astounded at the skill of people who could play those on insanity mode. This, however, is just INSANE.

:iiam:

Seriously though, the slowdown in these games is surprisingly integral. I can't remember which game it was, but the home ports of one game (pretty sure it was a Cave shooter as well) managed to remove the slowdown, giving a much smoother experience over the arcade version. They actually got complaints from players, since the slowdown factored in to many strategies. On top of that, the removal of the slowdown inadvertently wound up making the game harder (it's possible)!

Also, liking these C:HC runs. Every playthrough out there uses Brownie, so seeing other characters used is a fun change.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dectilon posted:

Level 2B, where the boss has as much fun as we are.

Browny is definitely easy mode (as easy a mode as you can get in this game). He even has a double jump!
Gotta love those Contra 3 references!
Sheena's straight laser is definitely one of the best weapons in the game though. It's slow but the it hits so hard we probably won't get to see most of the bosses' attacks. Maybe switch to the homing laser sometime?

Zeikier posted:

If it's alright to play the same game alongside Dectilon, here's my Ray playthrough of Level 1 in Contra Hard Corps.

I apologize profusely for my method of commentary.

I'm considering using Fang so that it's a little more different between Dect and I. Do you think I should do Ray and Fang, or just one of them? Should I follow Dect until the next branch, or just do the opposite branch?
As far as choices go, I say go for Deadeye Joe for now, at least for a little variety, and do the opposite of Dectilon, while later showcasing Fang and his playstyle in a third alternate path?

I know people give the Genesis sound chip a lot crap for how limited it is, but the music in this game is still really amazing. Especially the over the top boss themes.

CyanideMonkey posted:

I wanna say there's a different type of skill and memorization in play between regular shmups and Cave ones, mostly because of the mechanics involved, but I'm not that good at them myself to really justify that claim. Though I'd say there's definitely a huge difference in playstyle between the entirety of a Cave game and then the bonus/true final boss at the end.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Zeikier posted:

If it's alright to play the same game alongside Dectilon, here's my Ray playthrough of Level 1 in Contra Hard Corps.

I apologize profusely for my method of commentary.

I'm considering using Fang so that it's a little more different between Dect and I. Do you think I should do Ray and Fang, or just one of them? Should I follow Dect until the next branch, or just do the opposite branch?

Play as Fang, always do the opposite branch of whatever Dect does.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Konami isn't sorry and neither am I

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Alright, to make things more interesting I'll stick with Fang.

Here's an alternate take on Level 1 using him.

I think I can see why people would call him an "expert" character. He's got a very weird arsenal (granted, since we're not dying, the A weapon can rip things apart just fine).

I'll get to the actual branch ASAP.

EDIT: Upon further testing, I think Fang will just be an exhibition thing. His weapons are just too drat nasty against everything. I think he almost doubles Ray's damage output.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 28, 2013

The Proofreader
May 24, 2010

I added Act II of Ninja Gaiden here.

The Proofreader fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 27, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The monkey you rule with as single-player is always female? Huh.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Contra: HARD CORPS is the best game.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Bloodly posted:

The monkey you rule with as single-player is always female? Huh.

I think all we can say for sure is that it wears lipstick.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Holy poo poo, so it's a wolfman with a gun for an arm with shades named Fang? This thread has hit peak 90s.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

WarpedLichen posted:

Holy poo poo, so it's a wolfman with a gun for an arm with shades named Fang? This thread has hit peak 90s.

Neo Contra takes place in the 45th century; one of its playable characters is a black alien cyborg samurai named Jaguar; stage 2 is a vehicle stage where you ride an armored velociraptor; later you fight standing on top of rotating helicopter blades.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
For some reason, Contra HC feels much more scifi than the previous Contra games did. Like, I know they were supposed to take place in 2600 or whatever, but besides the aliens, they looked more like the 80's. Hard Corps is just Needlessly High-Tech Headquarters and SKY POLICE and little anime robots and mercenary hackers and cyborg furries right out of the gate. It's all so stupid and over the top and I love it. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Proofreader posted:

I added Act II of Ninja Gaiden here.

The cutscene music that opens this chapter is still the best thing ever.

• Locked thread